Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback and thoughts around my projects.

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
So, first i thought - Lets start a portfolio thread, but i don't have more then one 100% finished project. (Yeah, it's that bad.)

So, i would like some imput from you guys on what stuff i should carry on with, if at all and in what order. OR, if i should just say, fuck it - start over.

This is not me asking you to tell me what to do, but this is me asking a bunch of insanely talented people what you think would work best as
portfolio pieces.

I should add that i want to work with Environment art.

I do have a temporary, new one in the making, portfolio here

Please have a look and write a line.

This is what i got (or what i think is remotely usable of my old stuff).
  • Autumn UDK scene [I like this project, and i think it got potential, learned allot]
    • One if the trees trunks needs to be redone completely. And add one more tree.
    • Textures to be made or redone; Dead grass, pathway dirt, bark, fence, pumkin, chimney, textures for new grass.
    • Backdrop mountain.
    • New own sky.
    • Camera focal width.

1f95bk.jpg
  • 30k car without normal maps [I think that it could be a nice little piece, but maybe not worth the time?]
    • Some lowpoly modeling
    • Some highpoly modeling for smaller details that will be baked
    • UV-map and bakes for everything
    • Texturing
    • Lightning and rendering

Volvo300.jpg
  • Light SMG, Sci-Fi gun [Also a fun project. Forced me to think a bit beyond the concept.]
    • Finish the highpoly
    • Lowpoly with UV
    • Bakes
    • Textures
LightSMG1.jpg

• The tavern [Had this crazy idea that everything should be on one map. Last night working on this i merged everything together, fucking it up.]
    • Go back to allot of the textures and refine them.
    • Add smaller props like a lantern
    • Add lights and render in Marmoset
    • Maybe add this to UDK scene

9c4fa069ee56cb3b85fad8c195dcb36a.jpg
  • DICE art test [I have this in my portfolio mainly to fill out the emptyness :/ This is also one of the bigger reasons why me last portfolio pieces never finished. catastrophicplanning.com]
    • Remove?

9ec7ec44f2a15ea203b1fad050121751.jpg
Mim-23_1.jpg

3e16af52662464099e0fe8a1ccb26535.jpg
  • Russian Subway tunnel
    • 90% of highpolys done
    • Everything should be baked.
    • Texture everything
    • Light and render in Marmoset

A taste :)

wtzihc.jpg

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    You've got some great stuff. Honestly I would say pick a side. You've got great work in vehicle, weapon, and environment art. Id suggest finding out what one you most enjoy and focus all of your effort and study towards that category and triple your progression.

My 2cents, great work though.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I enjoy all of them, that's why i made them :D

Since i want to work with environments ofc it makes more sense t focus on them first. But i don't think it hurts to have weapons, vehicle and environment as an environment artist.

That's were my problem is :P
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, looking good so far. I don't think it hurts to have a nice varied portfolio however most studios that actually have guns or vehicles have people specialized in those areas. If you're not 100% dedicated to just that stuff then maybe focus on what you need to know as an environment artist AND THEN show that you have some skills creating the other stuff as well.

If I were you I'd plan an environment, break down what kind of assets you would need to create a nice one. Like how you could create a crypt just using 3 modular parts for walls, arches etc etc.

In the end you're doing this to get a job right? Think about what you need to learn in order to achieve that goal and do it. Networking is a big part of that =)

Last advice is to always try to see each project through to the end. I know it's sometimes hard but that dedication, that willpower is a very good thing to have, it'll benefit you greatly.

Good luck man and don't forget to look me up on LinkedIn or something like that as well, I like keeping in touch with fellow Swedish artists. :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Yeah, you right about concentrating on getting the environmental stuff down first, and then move on. Some of this is left from school. But i'm not gonna blame that, I've started new projects just because i felt like it. Like the light SMG.

So, for now it doesn't make any sense to do anything that doesn't have to do with environments. Totally right about that!

Ok, most stuff in the autumn scene is there, it's mainly tweaking and some additional props that's needed. I've decided to merge the autumn scene and the tavern house to.

I've really come to realize that linkedIn is a big deal in the biz, I haven't really understood the ethics of linkedIn yet though. Plus that i'm fucking bad at networking overall.. But yeah, would be cool if you want to connect (:

Thanks for you advices and stuff! I feel like i'm starting to get my energy back to actually pull this of!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Modelling on the S&W Hunter and car is good. Not too keen on anything else.
    Th udk scene is quite telling, the pumpkins stand out as far better than everything else. Balance is needed everywhere.

The S&W gun metal could do with being lighter and having some scratches with edge dammage to match the models quality.

The tudor house could do with some colour variation. The hanging barrel doesn't have to be the same colour as the wood on the building. I think you went overboard with the slime on the side there. Roof tiles are v. poor and bump is missing on the porch top + step. Presentation is poor.

I would lose the sci-fi gun altogether, it looks beyond help.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP wrote: »
    Modelling on the S&W Hunter and car is good. Not too keen on anything else.

Th udk scene is quite telling, the pumpkins stand out as far better than everything else. Balance is needed everywhere.

The S&W gun metal could do with being lighter and having some scratches with edge dammage to match the models quality.

The tudor house could do with some colour variation. The hanging barrel doesn't have to be the same colour as the wood on the building. I think you went overboard with the slime on the side there. Roof tiles are v. poor and bump is missing on the porch top + step. Presentation is poor.

I would lose the sci-fi gun altogether, it looks beyond help.

Thx for the feedback! You are right about the lack of color wariation on the tavern/big house. And yeah, i guess you right, i went a bit overboard with the moss on the ground part. Will turn it down. The steps have normals but it's very settle, i'll look over that when i'll come to that. Have any tips regarding presentation? Absolutely one of my weaker sides.

I've alreaddy pretty much put the sci-fi gun on hold. But beyond help? :P I think it's a bit harsh, but yeah it's just a HP atm. Btw, the stock is just a block in..
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Maybe it was harsh, but it's the harsh crits that are more useful in the end :p
    Presentation wise for the tavern, maybe something like this...

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu196/GCMax/Temporary/semi-stylised.jpg

Bear in mind this is rough and quick, no levels have been altered, or lighting added and personally: I'd model in a ground with some rough textures, make the tavern invisible to shadows and add a skylight to render ao. Save a seperate layer and composite a fake background in photoshop, tavern on top of ground, background behind both.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that quickie looks good! Atm i'm actually aiming for a merge between the Autumn scene and the tavern house. Though the ideas from you paintover can be used there to.

The roof is certainly going away! And since i'm merging, i'm also merging the roof tile texture on to this. Or do you think i would benefit from making a new one. Berin in mind that i really need to get this out ASAP.

Thx for you input dude :)

500th post celebration needed btw! :D
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    500 makes you a captain in my book.. so congrats dude, nice to have your inputs around here!

I really like your work so far, and think you will become very good at this. It's all about having WILL power. To finish stuff.

My outside input is a quick polishing... The spec maps seem a lot uniform to my eyes... and with the diffuse, it all gets a bit washed out in the light (missile) or the pistol (seems equal "glossy" all over) and could do with more work to define metal and wood, dirt and wear and tear.

I kinda like the p90 concept and also dislike it as well :| ... it fails you as 3d artists as you chose a speed painting ... and it is almost akin to an IKEA sofa designer at BAE systems for 20 minutes... and then going to space war with the result, which is an uncomfy staple gun. So plan better projects and avoid this "conceptual level hold up"... and allow you to get down to what you do well, which is the 3D. In a team.. I guess that would get sent back to the concept dude for more design work... is a nice looking concept though, is why i like it partly.

I would also block shape ALL stuff first... then go to details... is easier and quicker and efficient etc

Dice is in or near Sweden ;) Make it a 3 year plan to get in there? ... a quality studio.

Look forward to more updates... go get them tiger!

Also... harsh crits is gold dust at one stage in an artists life... yet too much can destroy an artist's MOJO. And who the fuck is the internet anyway. Get back internet, get back!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I have some serious issues with my workflow, or the lack of it. Like you said, I'm bad with blocking things out properly, I'm also very bad at planing stuff out in advance. And as you also mentioned, keeping at it until the end. This with a combo of me taking to big projects with out really thinking about it.

And with in mind not to take a to big project i aimed for something quick and fun, the small SMG. Witch lead me to take something that i really loved, withc i think is crucial in the first place. But that got me to choose a concept that was not very clear. But in the end, you can't do personal projects out of boring concept that you don't feel for, even though they are crystal clear.

Why i choose to make the DICE art test was because A, they actually had an art test. It was only one more company in Sweden that released an actually art test. And B, they have there office in central Stockholm, witch is where i normally live. I applied for a whole lot of companies, DICE were on of them.

I would absolutely love to work for them, but if i would play with the thought that i were offered jobs from companies like Avalanche, Starbreeze, Fatshark, Machinegames and DICE. DICE wouldn't be at the top of that list.

Regarding harsh critics you are absolutely right, but when the critics come in the form of, "it's not good, do something else" I really don't think of it as critics any more. Not the kind i can use anyway. If you know what i mean :) Plus that if you are going to actually complain about someones work, you should point out what's bad with it..

At the moment i'm focusing on the Tavern house. Updating textures and geometry. I have an insanely bad graphics card atm so don't know how much shader tweaking i can do. I'll see.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is going so fucking slow :(

TavernWIP1.jpg