Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Russian subway tunnel [WIP]

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
Ok, so it was like 2 month or something since i posted any work here. Now i'm settled in here in Germany and my new computer works. SO! New project to celebrate this!? Ofc :)

I was lurking around on the board the other day and came across the awesome reference sticky and i found a link by linkov to a blogg about subway trains in Russia i guess..

Witch leads to this:

chp51.jpg

So i wanted to do something quick and fun. This is pretty much just four or five elements that is repeating and curving.. And i liked the stones :P

I'll be rendering this in Marmoset.

This is a mockup so far.. The cables is just a quick 10 minutes test to see how it would look and all the geo is just for block out. But you get the idea, right ::poly142:

I'll start of with the tracks to morrow..

2efum1u.jpg

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a cool project man. Only crit I have at the moment is that the entrance to the passageway on the left seems to be too large in the blockout.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    This should be cool. I'd say +1 to sean and also the tracks seem a little tall/close together.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Yea man looking good, just watch out for shapes. This is quite a simple project so focus on accuracy. Make sure you can`t see the end of the tunnel.
    subway.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the crits guys!

The hole is as wide as three polygons on the tunnel atm. It was just a quick extrude. So both the shape and the curve is of. As for the end of the tunnel, pure lazynes :P I wanted the curve to be rith first, it's just a matter of duplicating my little module like six times more or something.

My approach on this will be like 15 meters then repeat. And the part with the entrance/hole in it will be an own part. It repeats like 3 times down the tunnel.

Skillmister, you'r right about the track. They are way to close, it goes in to a gray blob after just a few meters to. I hope it's mainly the lack of AA in maya viewport.

More to come later today! (:
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Why not just make it segment-based, the pattern of the tunnel repeats throughout the tunnel...
    subway2.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d wrote: »
    Why not just make it segment-based, the pattern of the tunnel repeats throughout the tunnel...

sltrOlsson wrote: »
    ...My approach on this will be like 15 meters then repeat. And the part with the entrance/hole in it will be an own part. It repeats like 3 times down the tunnel...

;)

Maybe wasn't that clear with the explanation :) But hey, great minds think alike! :D
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    If you haven't check out Metro 2033 for some game ref. Literally, 85% of the game is in Russian Subway Tunnels.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you right, i should.. Though for this i'm just gonna do what you can see on the picture..
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did three different stones in zbrush and scattered them with a maya bonus tool called paint geometry.. Seams a bit buggy course it offsetted everything i did. Well, what ever. I baked it out in xnormals quick and threw it in to marmoset to get a feel for it..

ipqzx5.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My two beams for the rails.

wtzihc.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    really like thoze zbrush models. im thinking tho that the wood may need to be slightly longer?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah. I just realized that to >.< I really need to get my measurements down..
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check philipk.net for some texturing tutorials for those wood planks :P
  • ıomeen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Why? Does he look like he can't texture?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ıomeen wrote: »
    Why? Does he look like he can't texture?

As a mater of fact i did. For the sculpting part. Not really following the tutorial, but using pretty much the same technique as he does.

The planks he is doing is from this cg textures pic. Or it have inspired him. And thous are rail track beams.. Mine ain't that ruff and i will use a lot less color..

But sure, phllips stuff looks amazing, you would be a fool not to pick up on hes techniques.
  • Erik Rönnblom
    those beams are really really sexy :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tackar (:

After some serialz head scratching and trail and error with zbrush and dynamics, as far as placing stones goes, i've a start for the stones. I'm thinking of applying dynamics to them now to just get them to get into place better. And then fill up the gaps with a smaller low res stone, with dynamics. But i don't dynamics. It's stupid!

eskjmg.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    for now its lookin great. but it doesnt really seem like the wood beams are immersed in the stones. also the beams seem still a bit small. i was thinking that they would work with the size you had from your sculpt, if you pushed them into the ground a bit so that on the surface they seemed more rectangular than square (width and height wise)
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Your wires on the tunnel side appear to be carved out of the wall instead of sitting on top, like your normal map is reversed.

Also in your block-in, your tracks are too narrow compared to your reference.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    for now its lookin great. but it doesnt really seem like the wood beams are immersed in the stones. also the beams seem still a bit small. i was thinking that they would work with the size you had from your sculpt, if you pushed them into the ground a bit so that on the surface they seemed more rectangular than square (width and height wise)

Yeah, maybe you'r right. Tryed to nail the sacale with these. I tried to scale my higholys, and since they are build out of fibers they are very forgiving. But maybe a bit broader (thicker) from how they are now then..
    Your wires on the tunnel side appear to be carved out of the wall instead of sitting on top, like your normal map is reversed.

Also in your block-in, your tracks are too narrow compared to your reference.
    The cables is just a quick 10 minutes test to see how it would look and all the geo is just for block out

The block out was more to try out the idea of modeling the tunnel first, and the bend it with a modifier. The normal doesn't even tile, and it's obvious repetition. Ofc i'm not going to use this - at all.

Thanks for you feedback, both of you :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ay ge. This is going slow.. I was going for a highpoly bake for the whole rail module. Put that was to much hassel. Few days of work down the drain..

So, i made a big ass tiling gravel texture instead.

The rail module is not far! (:

28as5me.jpg

[EDIT] What happend to tiny pic? :S It destroys my pictures. The compression was much less a few month back.
  • NoctyQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start!

Like the highpoly wood, awesome definition :thumbup:
    Metro 2033 is one of the best games of 2010 in my opinion and they have some really sexy tunnels :\ You better check it out
    I like the gravel texture but I presume that it's already tiled once on the plane?

Looking for more updates:)
    How do you like Hannover btw?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx :)

I guess i better check Metro 2033 out! :P Seams like a cool game..

I'll quote myself here "So, i made a big ass tiling gravel texture instead."
    It's on big texture. Atm it's even a 2k map. But that's a copy of my working file.

Hannover is alright. No less no more i would say :)