Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Light SMG

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
I necroed this thread all by my self. Most of the work in here is very old. Right now I'm recreating pretty much all of it from the ground up again.. Old model is mostly used as blockout/scale ref..

Current progress:

LightSMGReworked_wip_03.jpg

Found this speed paint done by Torvenius over at Conceptheart. I fell for it right away.

Speed_painted_SMG_light_by_torvenius.jpg

This is what I have so far:

2llbofd.jpg

C&C and ideas are very much welcome! (:

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    looks good, just like your concept! if you are making a normal map from this though, maybe you want to loosen up your edges of control at the very top of your gun there
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Damn Torvenius, always making it look easy :) Great choice for a weapon to model, he always give more than enough to go on. Convincing details for a scifi prop, great silhouettes of course.

I think you've got a great start so far. Judging from the way he shades the concept, I don't think you quite have the roundness and overall shape of the rear grip loop? To me it reads as more cylindrical in cross section, though I know that's got to be tricky to square with the back edge. Really so far, so good. Something to think about would be to push a little bit of hardness differentiation between what to me looks like the softer molded/rubber of the rear grip loop and the section that makes up the trigger guard, which looks a little harder?

Paintover for the stuff I think will do well to really nail the concept, and add the necessary plausible details (some kind of sights)
    sltrOlsson-po.jpg
    cheers! looking forward to updates
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for that great piece of feedback gauss!

So I have worked manly in the stocks shape, and I'm fairly satisfied with the results. I've touching a little bit every where so maybe it doesn't really look like I have any thing, but I have! :D It's bean a while since I did something hard surface.

2agpw5t.jpg

Right now I'm trying to figure out everything that's NOT showing on the concept. Like the top of the barrel, the shoulder support (couldn't find a better word :P) and the front/trigger guard.

For the iron sight I was thinking like a small red dot sight, very small - maybe :P And at the front a more conventional iron sight. For the shoulder support I'm looking at some of torvenius other concepts and trying to get some inspiration from them. I'm also thinking about the actual front of the barrel itself, I kinda like the flat front thing, but it needs to be something..

33wmyrr.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WEll, if you look at the concept you'll see that what i have done so far is like 30% of buttstock(?)..
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    This is where haters start griping but this is purely a suggestion--I am trying to ramp up into designing guns again myself so I figured this would be a nice exercise, so I hope you don't mind. There's a history of these kinds of paintovers starting shit (Dfacto's SMG from DoD comes to mind) but this is not the intention. If you're not having it, I'll edit out the image.

Again, this isn't about the hobgoblin of REAL GUNZZ but any first person weapon in a game needs to be able to "work" to a minimum degree, and things like where/how it reloads are a consideration for animations. Torvenius' speedpaint has a great silhouette but the design needs some elaboration in order to work. So here is my suggestion if it is a conventional subgun (obviously, a metal storm or lasergun or what have you and this no longer applies):

sltrOlsson-po2.jpg

As you can see, the action is very closely based on the Uzi, but replaces the Uzi's delayed golem blowback system with one using tiny unicorns. (H&K did a lot of interesting experimental work with tiny unicorns but ultimately abandoned them--poor, imaginationless Germans that they are.)

OK jokes aside this is layout that makes sense and "works" enough to hold up to basic scrutiny. Obviously nothing inside the gun need get modeled but knowing approximate locations really helps to feasibly locate the things you DO see--like the ejection port. If you take ten minutes to figure out this kind of stuff other questions resolve themselves, like what the magazine looks like, etc. Fun as it is to just put buttons and doodads all over the place, understanding where a few control surfaces might go in a believable way makes the gun itself all that much more believable.

Anyway, I think the changes you have made already go a long way--I particularly like the part line you have introduced between the grip and the receiver; overall the grip contour looks a lot better. Hard surface stuff takes a while but man I think it's fun work, so above all I hope you're having fun putting this gun together. Keep going!

VVVV Kitteh: I thought about that too but I would say the original angle works fine since it's practically the same as a rifle grip angle, which is plenty comfortable (the reason say, the FG-42 had such a weird grip cant).
    On a more practica note, changing the angle of the grip will likely change a lot of the gun's overall look and that can be more trouble than it's worth.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    That almost horizontal grip angle doesn't look comfortable at all. I would keep the profile of the top/back of the grip but rotate/extend the bottom down so it isn't such a wrist breaker.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Heh, I started a version of this a while back, still have to finish it:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11964902/Work/mix.jpg

I like the direction you are going for, with more rounded edges.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    interesting design. lookin good so far.
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Coool ideas Gauss, and lookin' good so far Olsson. Reminds me of the Seburo
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Reminds me of a space-age P90, but I'm not totally sure where the hands are supposed to go and have it not be awkward. Anyone hazard a paint over where the hand is placed to use this?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    madmuffin: not unlike the p90, or a two-handed grip on a pistol where the support hand is curling around the front of trigger guard. like so:
    http://www.gausswerks.com/img/tag/sltrOlsson-handhold.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I dont think the second hand is necessary. I think this should be a one handed weapon. to hands looks awkward.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah! Love it! In the end, i'm sure it will be the unicorns that will make this weapon! And gauss, don't freaking stop, the paintovers are really nice, sets my mind in to spin with new ideas!

I think the magazine thing will work great with the design and it will be nice to say "it could work(-ish)".

I thought about the P90 when i saw it the first time to. I see it as aproximently the same size as the P90, maybe a bit smaller then on the picture below when i think about it. But i think it shouldn't be to small.

w7h3t2.jpg

@ mystichobo - You should finish it!

Update on the way!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on the stock.. Gota run to the store!!!!! Close in 13 freaking minutes :O

2nlfl14.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baby steps, oh baby steps.. I don't have a very good work flow time wise on this one. Well, i'm trying any ways.. And tomorrow i'll gett black ops to, how will this go? Omg..

Todays progress.. Just a bunch of details.. I'll get to the magazine tomorrow..

2nsncys.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I stole your magazine design gauss, hope it's ok (:

I did a very fast suppresor as a test to. What do you think? Does it work?

Trigger, aim and stock left to do.

9tod37.jpg

And an idea i got. Make it a separate piece so that it can be folded up.. Don't ask my why, but i thought it was a cool idea. Yes/no? :)

10zxsh0.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    To me, it just looks like a really bad ass staple gun
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude! This is future! This will be the usual thing you have at home. Promise! :D No nails, freakin bullets! :D

What is it that makes it a staple gun to you?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Coming along nicely, but I think now you need to pay more attention to really nailing the contours and relative widths in order to make it really look and feel like a plausible weapon.

-I still don't think you've quite got the thickness/contour of the grip just yet, and you need to go ahead and finish up the lower part of the grip. Arguably that lower pokey diagonal bit out the front bottom of the grip is a handstop?

-I've included a suggestion for a charging handle in the upper portion of the receiver that is pretty blank. Another good idea is a rollmark/engraving of manufacturer etc. This will also make the design more fully realized.

-study Johny's model of dfacto's "cherub" pistol design. The relative tightness, scale of detail, frequency are all what make this seem so believable http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75481

- if you go for a suppressor, I would still model the barrel first, though if it's meant to have a suppressor, give it a threaded muzzle. Will also help ground the design in believable detail. Then for the can, realize that suppressors work by simply retarding gas and letting it out slowly instead of all at once--so by nature cans have to be kinda big. Your can is about half the size it should be, needs to be longer and thicker.

-as notated, you can put some neat detail on the front part of the upper receiver to indicate maintenance access/gas system adjustment. GIS pics of guns and look at their fronts for comparison

-I'm not entirely sold on your alternative stock--it can work, but it changes the silhouette of the gun pretty considerably. I think the original stock works better with the silhouette, but it's your call.

-as noted the magazine now looks like a single stack, it needs to be about twice as thick. Look up pictures of subgun magazines for comparison--grease gun mags, sten mags, even up to mp5 mags all look pretty similar. they're wide enough for a double stack and taper to dispense a round at a time.

sltrOlsson-po3.jpg

Anyway, keep going! Looking good so far, you just need to really dial in on realizing details and overall widths.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont listen to this guy, he doesnt know anything about guns.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the concept... keep at it.. that paintover looks great also.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for your crit, it's great! :D
    • I just realized that I've bean checking the contour and stuff when it's still mirrored and not combined. I'll have a look at it.
    • Just realized the charging handle it self looks like shit, i'll change that. But otherwise i think it works.. It's nice with something more in that area. Maybe try to fit in some more closer to the front..
    • Johny's model is just sick. And i think it's really nice how you so easily understand how it works, well it's a pistol, but it's so clear. I'm trying to get that sense of functionality but it seams I can't get it right.

That's why i'm so glad for all your help! :D
    • If i do an suppressor, I'll put some time in it. That was a 20 sek thing. What do you think about the little barrel hole? Maybe it should be more extruded.
    • Killed the whole stock thing. It's kinda hard to get any shapes of the stock out of the concept. So little detail and stuff I've come up with just don't work. I'll try to work out a new one.

What do you think about the trigger? I know it's different in the concept, but it didn't really feel functional.

A little iron sight in the front is in the very near future. Any thoughts on the red dot?
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Dont listen to this guy, he doesnt know anything about guns.

Haha, yeah. I've realized he's just posting random drawings :P

oqgbnr.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like the front part of the grip thing being so thin. Also the back of the receiver up at the top there would look much better with some more interestin geometry (bevels, curves, etc) since it'll be right in the player's face.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    I don't like the front part of the grip thing being so thin. Also the back of the receiver up at the top there would look much better with some more interestin geometry (bevels, curves, etc) since it'll be right in the player's face.

Yeah, that whole front part is pretty bad. It's pretty diffuse in the concept what goes there, but thicker, definitely!

I need to find a function for that crazy pointy thing in the bottom front..
  • Huntard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huntard polycounter lvl 12
    I am liking the design can't wait to see the finished hp
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the mag sticking out like that looks wrong, cut it off flush against the gun and have it inset, so when taken out the base of the mag makes the edge of the gun.

gunmagclipconcept.jpg

also it can have the meg release above it like you get on the battery release in digital cameras. as for the ammo type. why couldn't it be some really thin bullets so you could get in like 50 a clip. looks like a spray type weapon.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm bit late but I don't think thats where you should put the clip...feels like a pain to reload. Why not have the clip pretty much where the P90 has it, on top?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lloyd wrote: »
    the mag sticking out like that looks wrong, cut it off flush against the gun and have it inset, so when taken out the base of the mag makes the edge of the gun.

gunmagclipconcept.jpg

also it can have the meg release above it like you get on the battery release in digital cameras. as for the ammo type. why couldn't it be some really thin bullets so you could get in like 50 a clip. looks like a spray type weapon.

That's is actually a real good idea. That form of the gun bugged me, it didn't feel right.. I'm gonna change the shape of the back to..

It was some time since i worked on this, i'll get back soon..

Thx for the crits!
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    This gun design is so sweet, I think all of the crits have been pointing you in the right direction, keep it up I can't wait to see it finished, it's so awesome. For the clip release to be like that (most recent crit) it would have to be highly spring loaded to make sure it doesn't jam when trying to switch clips, of course though that doesn't matter because this is not the real world, but if you ever animate it, be sure it really springs out when released :)
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Ah, I love the concept for this gun. Looks like you're doing a great job so far! I'm not particularly gun savvy, but it looks cool, so kudos. I look forward to seeing the final model/texture!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mah! Yeha, I worked some more on this like a week ago. One of my weaknesses must be to not really look beyond the concept. Like the shoulder stock, I can just see the big shapes and not the function and smaller details. This is something i really need to get into, course i think that it would be crucial to have that skill if you are working on a company.

Thx for the encouragement guys! I'll take a lok at this tonit! (:
  • Bar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar
    Beautiful design.
    Small but still deadly looking!
    I'm hoping for cool updates!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, after some PC trouble I've started to think about this again.

Stuff i'm gonna or thinking of changing
    • The trigger so that it's closer to the concept
    • Front grip so that it wont look so awkward
    • Peep sight
    • The magazine - the functionality, the design the placement.
    • And yeah, it's gonna have Bluetooth 2. It's the future..

So, the blocky thing on top of the shoulder stock thingy is the mag atm. Obviously it need allot of thinking and design, but still. What'cha think?

Paintovers and shit is encouraged!

LightSMG1.jpg
  • Bar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar
    The clip looks waaaay better there!!!
    Well done!
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah the mag placement isn't working at all, Think about having to change that out in combat, seems pretty tough, however with an added stock I can't really figure out where you would place it, you could go with a sideways placement but then of course that sticks out and kinda looks odd to your overall design, the only other option I can imagine is to put it on top which would block your sight to a degree, just not sure on this one.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had i little think and maybe the right side of it... screen, light and optical sensor optional. Dunno if it works... there is a WW2 german gun like this 90 degree magzine, use that mechanism?

paintover.jpg
  • Bar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar
    I like the new clip placement. It would be fairly easy to replace that on the go.
    And it makes perfect sense in that position. Just like the FN P-90.
    And if it were clear, you'd be able to cast an eyeball down and see EXACTLY how much ammo you have left! And that is a handy thing too!
    Great thinking!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Thx for the crits and ideas!

As Bar are saying, the same type of magazine is actually in production for the P90. So i don't really see any problems with the placement.

My "problem" is that i want to be as true as possible to the concept, i've maybe sailed away a bit form it but i'm trying to get back.

I'm thinking of some nifty litlle thing that makes the magazine pop up to a 30 degree angle from what it is now. Maybe.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I decided to revisit this project again! I wanted something fairly small to get my personal projects going again. I fell in love with this concept the moment I saw it and I've had it on my mind all since then! ;)

I started reworking the lower part completely cause I didn't like my old sloppy geometry.. It's based from cylinders rather then free handing it all.

Not super interesting yet, but soon enough! ;)

LightSMGReworked_wip_01.jpg
  • Bar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar
    Excellent. I am very glad to see more work done on this beauty. Looking forward to more updates!
  • Bar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar
    Oh, and be sure and upload it to shapeways in 1/6 when you are done. I could be doing with this for some of my 1/6 PMCs!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds cool! What are you working on? I can definitely upload it when i'm done! :)
  • Bar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Sounds cool! What are you working on? I can definitely upload it when i'm done! :)

Just general 1/6 custom figures.
    I have made some of my own custom weapons in 1/6(But only using my own model skills, lol. Not the magic you are doing).
    It would be handy to have some nice custom weapons available from shapeways in 1/6.
    Here are some of my own meagre works(I hope you don't mind me posting them):

IMG_6192.jpg

IMG_6222.jpg

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6230.jpg

3C2EF213-56BC-4E94-8DCB-B8A994573349.jpg

39647F80-89F7-4D27-89F7-E6B8CE75C42F.jpg

54B5DBAC-2E31-43E2-BEAA-5DEE1DC7E459.jpg

6B22BE16-AE79-4EBF-A3D5-307C9329BDF1.jpg

AF7A8D32-CB84-448E-BDC5-52E498F63C8C.jpg

B827E2E7-5633-49AE-BD07-7E089A2C190E.jpg

95570B16-AFC7-4BF4-A7F2-16DD370B72C7.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bar dude that's awesome! I'll try my best to get it to work when i'm done with it :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Top part is still old. It's not much about it that I like, it's there for scale ref at the moment.. Added the canister to the front, I got some ideas that I need to try out before deciding if I'll keep it..

I'm not really sorry, but sorry for spamming :*

LightSMGReworked_wip_02.jpg
  • Bar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar
    Nice. What's the cannister going to be for?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the main shapes of both of the handles.

I've found some more concepts that I like the style of and will steal details from them. I'm gonna go with a foldable design (something more in the line of the first image) for the top part and I think I'm gonna do some sort of electronic puls thing that shows when you open it. (Second concept..)

Baby steps..

LightSMGReworked_wip_03.jpg

1352DXHR_conceptart_Combat_Rifle.jpg

weapon_design_by_progv-d7ga7ww.jpg
  • Bar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar
    Nice!!! And where did you get the pics of those other concepts?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'd be surprised of what you find when you google "sci fi gun concept". Pintrest mostly..
  • Bar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    You'd be surprised of what you find when you google "sci fi gun concept". Pintrest mostly..
    Okay. I google that term all the time for ideas, but had never seen those ones.
    I thought maybe it was a dedicated blog or site you had found.