Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] TIfa Lockhart , FF7 (NSFW)

Hi everyone,
So after my previous project i decided to stay away from doing anything related to cg to let what ive learned sink in. In this project I will try to model, rig and produce a low res model of a character.

I have been using 3dsmax since i first started 3d and ive decided to try and switch to Maya/Blender so i will probably be quite slow when progressing. Also, this will be my first low poly character. I have followed Joe Hartford's (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118043) knife tutorial, but did encounter some problems with baking a normal map with xnormal, hopefully the process with characters is not too dissimilar. I was wondering if anyone knows why i get so much of these artifacts in my normal map?

I have chosen to model Tifa from the Final Fantasy series.
Latest:

tifa_wip_9.jpg
Reference board:

reference.jpg

Objectives:
  • Learn the basics of Maya and Blender.
  • Produce a decent likeness of the character.
  • Improve modeling, texturing skills.
  • Learn to rig a character.
  • Produce decent hair.

Inspiration:
http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/maya/classicalgirl/classical-girl.html
[Civil War] LRoy vs. Daphz vs. Afisher vs. Mrskullface - Polycount Forum
Haz-Course Character: Dizzy (GuiltyGear) - Polycount Forum
http://nipo1987.blog46.fc2.com/
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1120357

Replies

• smokechok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahahh rlly fun
    good luck with ur new adventure.

but my recomendation is to start with monsters or wired shaped faces, do it is more pleasant to take contact with that software.
    most of woman face in videogames are rlly rlly neutral, it's always same face but a little bit change in shape.
    videogame woman faces are more pleasant to to do with traditional softwares

but it's just an opinion.

sorry for my english
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    gyarados wrote: »
    WIP:
    wip4.jpg?w=600

Good you did put NSFW to thread ttitle ^^. Haha just kidding, looking forward to wips
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smokechok : Thanks for the advice. I may try to model vivi like what you did to learn maya instead. Sadly i suck at modeling in these traditional softwares.

Paul68Rageous : mwhahaha, hopefully i can post up regular wips.

So ive made a start of the body and head, still early days , iam still trying to find the proportion and the style of these final fantasy characters.
    wip1.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adding some crappy dynamesh hair and i started to work on the lower body proportions.

wip2.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have started to refine the head today and applied some polypainting to give me a better idea of whats going on.
    wip31.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, iam rather stuck on getting that final fantasy style face so Iam asking for some feedback. Please be honest.

Iam going for the newer final fantasy style like ff13 and, of course, the look from advent children.

wip4.jpg
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    her cheeks are way too plumpy...so its given her a baby look...and female have a defined bone below their eyes,,,u shoudl refine that and the distance between lips and chin should be reduced a lil...keep goin...i love 3d girlssssssssss
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    her face is way too long, make it about 1/3 shorter. you should also decrease the distance between lips and chin.

tifa usually has a pout in her lips even in a relaxed pose and much like other FF7 characters her eyes are on the "bigger" side of the anime styled spectrum.

you should absolutely start using anime and manga as reference for the shapes of the face and not just the FMV's from the games/movies.
  • Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont know if you're still working on this. But this might help

tifamodelmockup_zpsb8f97b8d.png

I photoshopped some changes

Enlarged eyes 10%
    Moved bottom half of the face back slightly.
    Gave her nose a little turn up
    Lowered part of the nostrils
    Redrew eyebrows
    Made bottom lip less plum
    Widened the mouth slightly, and turned up the corners a little
    Reworked the profile of the chin area, that should take away some of the pudginess
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixel wrote: »
    Dont know if you're still working on this. But this might help

tifamodelmockup_zpsb8f97b8d.png

I photoshopped some changes

Enlarged eyes 10%
    Moved bottom half of the face back slightly.
    Gave her nose a little turn up
    Lowered part of the nostrils
    Redrew eyebrows
    Made bottom lip less plum
    Widened the mouth slightly, and turned up the corners a little
    Reworked the profile of the chin area, that should take away some of the pudginess

Firstly, I will still be working on it since i want to finish at least this one project, but it will have to wait until after i finish my January exams.

Secondly, thank you for taking the time to critic my work and from what ive gained from it it is quite a thorough one. I have made some of the changes you have suggested and hopefully will be able make some more changes later on.

I think the changes in the paint-over is a step in the right direction i hope that its is reflective in my sculpt.

current progress
    tifa1.jpg
  • Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured you'd get more use out of this than me.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/josephiroth/tifabody_zpsd746b090.jpg

I planned on redoing a Tifa model I was working on
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Looking good. I think Gir's comment about shortening the face is well on, and I would also pinch the chin in a bit. Also she has that strange outward bend at the knees things going on. You see this a lot in non-athletic people, but I think Tifa is supposed to be more athletic of a character.
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured you'd get more use out of this than me.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/josephiroth/tifabody_zpsd746b090.jpg

I planned on redoing a Tifa model I was working on

@Pixel: thank you for your critiques. I think the character was in a very bad spot before and thanks to your help its looking a bit better.

So i started again on this project. Iam trying to change my attitude from "I cant do it." to "I should give it a shot" since most of my attempts at learning 3d fail.
    Still struggling on the face and body, but i managed to get the sculpt of the hands almost complete.

So i think the next step is to continue working on the face and body then retopologize and re-sculpt.

As always critiques are most welcome.

tifa_wip5.jpg

tifa_wip4.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think you are on the right track. I would definitely revisit your anatomy. A lot of her body just feels very tubular. You are not defining the form properly right now. The shoulder looks like there is no muscle and the gap where her armpit is looks too wide. The overall arm looks too thin from the profile as well, esp the upper forearm. This is, in turn, making the hand feel too large. The knee area looks a bit odd as well. There should be a nice taper to the knee as it goes into the lower leg but yours is very straight. I think it's also good practice to give a little bit of a relaxed pose to just give your model a more natural feel. She is very stiff right now. Her head might be a tad large as well as her neck a tad too thick. Good luck!
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh wrote: »
    I think you are on the right track. I would definitely revisit your anatomy. A lot of her body just feels very tubular. You are not defining the form properly right now. The shoulder looks like there is no muscle and the gap where her armpit is looks too wide. The overall arm looks too thin from the profile as well, esp the upper forearm. This is, in turn, making the hand feel too large. The knee area looks a bit odd as well. There should be a nice taper to the knee as it goes into the lower leg but yours is very straight. I think it's also good practice to give a little bit of a relaxed pose to just give your model a more natural feel. She is very stiff right now. Her head might be a tad large as well as her neck a tad too thick. Good luck!

Thanks for the critiques slosh. I have tried to make the changes you suggested hopefully its better.
    ---
    I did some work on the poly hair cards and retopologized the body and head and reprojected the hi-res back on.
    tifa_wip_7.jpg

tifa_wip_6.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update.Since my last post I have uv mapped the body, started doing some rendering tests and started working/struggling on the clothes.

crits welcomed

tifa_wip_8.jpg
  • Pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She genuinely does look amazing, especially seeing her rendered.

There's still something odd about the bottom portion of her face. I think if you grab everything below the middle of her nose and move it back about a cm, it'll tone down the slight chibi look.

Also, maybe space out the verts below the corners of her mouth. You've defined her chin really nicely, but its left this very slight kinda ventriloquist's dummy look

Again, she really does look amazing. I wish I could get my old Tifa model to work after seeing what you can achieve.

BTW, I posted about this over at thelifestream.net :D
    http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?p=585015#post585015
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She genuinely does look amazing, especially seeing her rendered.

There's still something odd about the bottom portion of her face. I think if you grab everything below the middle of her nose and move it back about a cm, it'll tone down the slight chibi look.

Also, maybe space out the verts below the corners of her mouth. You've defined her chin really nicely, but its left this very slight kinda ventriloquist's dummy look

Again, she really does look amazing. I wish I could get my old Tifa model to work after seeing what you can achieve.

BTW, I posted about this over at thelifestream.net :D
    http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?p=585015#post585015

Hey Pixel. Thanks once again for the critiques and for plugging it :thumbup:. The critiques have been helpful and ive tried to implement them, so hopefully its looking better.

I think you should try and finish your tifa/barrett model its definitely a good exercise to improve and try a stylized(final fantasy) character.

--
    Iam going to continue working on the clothes during the weekend since i need to start studying for my next year at university and it will hopefully give me fresh perspective when i look at this again.

tifa_wip_9.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think the biggest discrepancy comes from the 3/4 view. the face has a weird shape in that view.

could we see the head without hair at front, 3/4 and side views?