Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Remmers wrote: »
    Shamelessly crossposting my thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88088.

I'm planning some workflow breakdowns soon.

Very nice Remmers :)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    doodling in mudbox, first sculpt on my new PC :D

rockheadsculpt.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Mask_Salesman: Looking better and better. I think she really needs a facial expression to bring her to life though. Right now she's making a pose where I'd expect her to be happy but she's just starting blankly forward.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    I'm working on fixing some old models, the textures sucked and the materials were not well defined, here's the old clock.

780x505.png
  • Remmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remmers polycounter lvl 7
    @ Checko: Thanks, you are making cool stuff as well!
    @ Choco: Thanks :)
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    Mask_Salesman : very nice, really digging that character. My crit is that her pose and facial expression are clashing very hard atm.

Anyway rendered a bit, finished now :)

Screenshot-2011-09-09_21.05.26.jpg
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    Can anyone guess which fighting game character this is?

8h8lM.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Checko wrote: »
    @Remmers - wow! looks superfantastic!

Thinking this is done!incubatorwip6c1.jpg
    I'm really liking it, only thing I can say it while the machine itself it a little dirty the glass is spotless. Maybe put some grim on it too?
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    So much awseomness going on here!
    Mask_Salesman - Gorgeous! Great job on the textures.
    Highelf - Really cool!
    Remmers - Amazing environment, reminds me of Uncharted and Tomb Raider stuff. The lighting can be a bit brighter and crisper.

Jeez, I made my account in 2005 and this is my first time posting! No more luker loco. I'm doing some character work for and indie/mod game with a steampunk style.

hipolyturnaround.jpg
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    g2000 - I know,there has been an amazing turn out for it.I just wish I hadn't started so late.There are 12 days left and im still on the sculpt.Nice female flash by the way MAN!
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Nelis wrote: »
    Can anyone guess which fighting game character this is?

8h8lM.jpg

looks like Kazuya Mishima, but it could be Hisoka from Hunter X Hunter :P
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    fckn nice sculpt g2000
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poster I'm working on:

bme.jpg
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Hi. I'm working on a vehicle and need advice. The green parts are pretty much symmetrical... should those be mirrored ? They are big so making them unique would eat a lot of UV space. Because of those parts in front mirroring can look obvious... seriously can't decide what to do... how would you tackle it ?

L7gec.png
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOnetwo: I´d mirror the UV´s, and if need be if possible add decals to break up the symmetry.
    Since you only see one side of it at a time when used, or just those front areas at the same time, you can just minimize use of "stand out" scratches or damage on the texture to not make it overly obvious that its mirrored over.
    Another option would be to move verts about a little bit to fool the eye away from the symmetry.. And to avoid overly straight lines in the model.
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    @Ganemi:
    Being extremely picky, it looks amazing, wish I could do something lime this. But below are afew things I could see, only minor though.

QC9mJ.jpg
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    g2000 wrote: »

My small contribution,wip from Comicon 2011,it's future nanotech Flash Girl :poly131:

fgwip02.jpg

Sharpen up the edges!
    This is pretty dam slick, just so you know.
  • g2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rion411 : looks cool,i like his face mask,but that perspective is totally confusing for me,is this a print screen from ZB?
    EiGHT : hey thanks man,12 days is plenty to finish of this critter
    Ferg : Thanks man i appreciate it :)
    Lazerus Reborn : thanks mate,this is just the sketch for her,i'm planning to sharpen those creases and polish her up in maya next :)
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    as done as I am gonna be with this
    DanNinjaPres.jpg

DanNinjaTX.jpg

Are SDKs ok to put in your portfolio? I really like how this one turned out.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Dan!, You seem to have a seam on her ass caused by this part;

m1ccwtm1.jpg

Im not sure if it was intentional but other than that nit pick, Amazing work.
  • BCos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BCos polycounter lvl 7
    playing around with the Knight SDK by Cory Robinson...we'll call this phase 1.

http://vimeo.com/28783655

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28783655?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0&quot; width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href=" Animation Blockout</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user6891385">Bryce Coster</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p&gt;

not quite sure how to embed properly, anyone care to assist?28783655
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly-speed-doodle to get the day started while watching the F1 Qualy session with one eye (multitasking ftw!)

Its not ment to be used for anything in the future. I just wanted to exlore the form of the house after seeing it so many times in the last few days ;)
    Dropped in simple material colors just to make it less boring to look at.. Most of it is one solid geometry with no intersecting polys or floaters apart from the beams above the door/window and the roof and top items on the roof.. the Qualy session ended so I decided to call it quits and not clean that up so its just the initial quick blockout objects.
    Sitting at around 2.3k polys total with room for optimization in a lot of places.
    Now on to more serious stuff!

polyspeed-arenanethouse.jpg
  • CapAmer1ca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapAmer1ca polycounter lvl 5
    Nick great concept! Love your style.
    Choco - i fall in love with your stylized landscapes, any special technic in creating such things? Do you generate a basic landscape, lets say, in vue or terragen, or everything is done from scratch?

This is my final potemkin shot. I call it done:
    P40K_FrontView.jpg
    P40K_Side1View.jpg
    P40K_Side2View.jpg
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap: looks sweet! My only crit would be to add a little more detail to the hair areas.
    They look a bit too simple and flat compared to the rest of the textures.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    g2000 wrote: »
    Rion411 : looks cool,i like his face mask,but that perspective is totally confusing for me,is this a print screen from ZB?

Thanks! Yeah, it's a ZB screengrab.I don't have the perspective button turned on... maybe I should???
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    Hey everyone this is my final image for the CG Coach Moddler challenge.

Any comments are appreciated:poly121:

Circusentry_s.jpg
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    CapAmer1ca: nice texture work!
    Cap Hotkill: really love that! ;o
    Mask_Salesman: lovely :)!

Just 5 mins sketches with fun colour pallets!
    colourpissss.jpg
    Fun doodle! did most of this with 3d glasses on...dont know why... wont do it again
    skypirate_AaronFoster.jpg
    Tetsuo thingy unfinished.. cant be arsed with clean lineart.. and honestly i havent pushed the design much :/
    TetsuoWIP02_AaronFoster.jpg

<3 Suprore
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Razorb.. ahh I love your art...

Where you work at now? Looking for a job ? ^__^
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    b1ll: <3! thanks mate, means alot coming from you!
    I dont know if thats a serious question heh buuuut I am currently making my own game, so i am not trying to get a job at the min! thanks tho really appreciate it! massive fan of your work!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    That Tetsuo is sweet razorb

more gun doodling.
    genericar.jpg
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    CapAmer1ca wrote: »
    Choco - i fall in love with your stylized landscapes, any special technic in creating such things? Do you generate a basic landscape, lets say, in vue or terragen, or everything is done from scratch?

Thanks! as for the method for making terrains, I'm currently setting up a detailed workflow that I will share with the community. There is really nothing special to it, but I'm sure that will save a lot of time for people wishing to get convincing results for highpoly cg renders and for game engines.

Just to summarize it for you :

1 - Export a plane in maya (512x512 units)

2 - Import it in mudbox then start sculpting the main shapes of your terrain by constraining your brush to paint heights in the "Y" axis only.
    Note : Regarding the optimal amount of polygons needed depending on final texture resolution, all you need to do is calculate how much is 1024x1024, 2048x2048 etc... The result will be the polygonal count goal that you will have to reach in order to get optimal texture maps. (its applies to any kind of highploy model thats going to be used for extracting texture maps).

For example, in my case I planned to use high resolution textures (4096x4096 pixels) I ended up with a terrain that had 16 million polygons in mudbox (which isn't easy to work with).

3 - Once you are happy with the shapes, you can extract a height map in mudbox while using the flat plane (512x512 units size) as a low ploy mesh.
    Important note : the heightmap needs to be in TIF 16bit format when saved.

4 - After exporting the heightmap out of mudbox, you can import it in Worldmachine.
    Worldmachine will help you get those nice erosion flows and some texture masks which add alot to your terrain and make it look natural.
    Worldmachine will deform your terrain naturally with the erosion node.

5 - Once you've generated your erosion flow maps, Color maps, textures masks, (optional lightmap etc...) you will also have to export the new heightmap of your terrain which was generated in worldmachine after applying the erosion effect.

6 - Back to mudbox :
    Import your new heightmap (the one that was affected by worldmachine)
    Extract Ambient Occlusion map, Cavity map and Normal map.
    Mudbox does a great job rendering those texture maps (probably faster then xnormal and cleaner (personal experience)).

7 - In photoshop, you can start blending together all those extracted texture maps (AO, cavity, Color coverage etc)

To get something similar to this (4k res texture) :

3lpA0.jpg

8 - Usage :

All depends on what the terrain was made for.
    If you want to use it in Cryengine or UDK, at this point, you will already have all the needed assets which are : Heightmap, Color map, Normal map.

Quick test in UDK just for the heck of it (on their terrain system): (Color map was Overlayed on tiled texture maps (grass, stone, soil etc...) by using a custom material node that mimics the photoshop Overlay blending mode)

H8UQz.jpg

Snapshot of the material network in UDK :

Yze0B.jpg

On the other hand, if you want to use it as a model, just drop down a view subdivisions in mudbox and export the terrain at the wanted resolution.
    The best would be to split it in multiple parts to optimize the whole thing if the mesh is too big.

Sorry for my bad english btw xD
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Oh man, times like this I'm sorry polycount doesn't have a thank you button. Thank you very much, choco. That's an amazing write up, man!
  • TheBeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First post and first model!

6134688276_f86de2c791_z.jpg

Planning to make a cowboy next...
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    Razorb wrote: »
    CapAmer1ca: nice texture work!
    Cap Hotkill: really love that! ;o
    Mask_Salesman: lovely :)!

Just 5 mins sketches with fun colour pallets!
    colourpissss.jpg
    Fun doodle! did most of this with 3d glasses on...dont know why... wont do it again
    skypirate_AaronFoster.jpg
    Tetsuo thingy unfinished.. cant be arsed with clean lineart.. and honestly i havent pushed the design much :/
    TetsuoWIP02_AaronFoster.jpg

<3 Suprore

so so nice dude. and your work in general. fucken awesome
  • needs glue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs glue polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Choco it is great to see your process, looks great.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Quack! wrote: »
    cOOL.png

I would revisit your proportions. What makes the concept so cool, to me at least, is that all of the details mesh really well. By straying from the concept you have lost that spunk the concept has. A blockout was essential for this as it helped with proportions. I also modeled each piece 'straight' and with the grid, then instanced them into place, any modifications that I did each piece I did on the 'straight' instance and it would translate to the full backpack. I think you should take a step back, look at the concept and compare it to yours and then do a long self critique. Proceed from there.

Thanks for the tips!

I really just started modelling it as a way to play around and get a feel for some of the techniques I had just learned in video tutorials. Originally I was just trying to emulate some of the shapes you had made for the round parts, trying to figure out how to make them in sub-d, but I just kept working on it and decided i'd cobble together what I had into something for this thread.

Generally I would start with a blockout but I have little experience with 3D blockouts with a lot of depth since so far I have only really modelled scifi walls and other flat surfaces and greeble. Firefall's characters also have very different proportions compared to the human reference base-mesh I used.

I stumbled on the grid-flattenned modeling pretty early which lead me to learning about an xform techniques and the working pivot. It was a good experiment.

Question: What do you use for metal shaders in your version?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    So much cool stuff on this page! Awesome lowpoly chick, badass space marine, and razorb!

That ultra-lowpoly rifle is cool too!
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Very cool thread and work, here is what I've been working on lately

KRISS SUPER V

58228306.png
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    killing it, razorb. great color and style. really been a pleasure to watch your work evolve over the years.

"seppo" character for my game, a bunch of trash eater/foragers called seppos. still need to work out the chicom rig and other details on the character.

am017.jpg
    am018.jpg
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    Remmers wrote: »
    Shamelessly crossposting my thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88088.

I'm planning some workflow breakdowns soon.

wbq8av.jpg

2r2of9c.jpg

This one looks good- I've seened this before on a previous post a while back. This is a nice level and I liked the video you made Remmers. I think the modulars are very cleverly used. I think most people replied for C & C and mostly replied about some minor shading and lighting suggestions which I think they are right.

odd... that this one is not getting that much attention? but can't wait for the breakdown Remmers. Other than that- looks great man.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    dfacto wrote: »
    That Tetsuo is sweet razorb

more gun doodling.
    genericar.jpg

Lovely stuff as usual dfacto, I really dig how clean you got the rendering going - how long did it take you to doodle this ?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Chai: Not really so much of a doodle since it took me about 1-2 hours. :P I could do it in less, but I did start it as just a doodle and I redid the concept as I went, which adds on extra work time.
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunday is funday!
    Exploration of a character design to buddy up with the dolphin looking dude I posted earlier.
    I´m toying with basing him off a Moray Eel atm, but terrified of how you make an eel into a convincing humanoid while keeping the eel like nature somewhat intact :D

First sculpt, while watching the F1 race! Go go Schumy ya old far... GO FASTA!

Eeliechartest1.jpg
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    CapAmer1ca wrote: »
    NickThis is my final potemkin shot. I call it done:
    P40K_FrontView.jpg

I'm loving the proportions on this guy! Also the new take on the GW Space Marine design is quite fun too.
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGrecke polycounter lvl 7
    I decided to make a really simple model so I could get some practice unwrapping!
    So I made this simple zombie, it is 136 tris so I manage to unwrap it xD

maxtt.gif
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha MGrecke, that is AWESOME!
  • Remmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remmers polycounter lvl 7
    euclidius Thanks man! Lighting scenes and creating shader is relatively new for me, so I completely agree with all those comments and have to work hard for that. It is currently quite busy here but I'll keep my word and post some breakdowns when I got some spare time.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    @viv, I'm totally jelly!
This discussion has been closed.