Homeโ€บ Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    First time posting on WAYWO thread. Nervous :D
    It's a model of a zeppelin carrying cannon for a top down kind of arcade game me and friend of mine are working on. Still not sold on the silhouette, but I am slowly getting. One thing I realized just now is that there are loads of small little details there which won't be seen after its been resized for the game. Any tips, critiques, ideas?

zeppelin05f.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Couple of pages back now, but I quite like this.
    My big issue with it is that it's not really readable as a zeppelin at the moment, I recon if you doubled the length of the envelope, you would get a more readable zeppelin cigar shape :)
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Man, I love how diverse this thread is becoming. There's great, interesting, unique work on every page! Well done guys!

Here's a bunch of characters I'm working on for my project. I've been hacking terminals in Heng Sha a lot this past week so this is taking longer than it should!

battling_brigands_wip.jpg
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome works in this thread :), here is my small contribution, it is just a medieval guy that I'm making on my free time

knight_WIP2.jpg

knight_WIP3.jpg

knight_WIP7.jpg

knight_WIP8.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Nix, erik!, Lazerus Reborn - Thanks for the comments. And yes Lazerus they have a pretty cool style.
    how did u model those hoses?

I modeled it like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2344272/firefall/braid.jpg (I ended up changed the thread a little, but it is close)

Then I surfdeformed it to a cylinder using this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88121&highlight=surfdeform

Then pathdeformed it to a spline.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Just finished this Buddhist temple ornament:
    Andy_Prespage.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Argh Nick that stuff is painfully great!!!!!!
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver: That's seriously awesome, dude.
    Here's my humble contribution. It's my entry for Comicon 2011. Nazi Thor.

Thor_WIP_05_JoeCyriac.jpg
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    crossposting...SDK WIP fun
    DanNinjaWIP.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    So bored... so I made this in Sculptris for funsies
    FatManRatThingSS2.jpg
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Bloody gorgeous. I quite like the top left moody one. The top right looks a bit odd because the sky doesn't match the bright hills, but I'm assuming the skys are just placeholder photos or something.

Thanks for the feedback ! as for the skies they are actually real volumetric clouds that can be animated and interactive :)
    Right new I'm generating a bunch of high rez HDRi skydomes that can be used in game engines

Some tests :
    sdCne.jpg

XPpmM.jpg

I'll probably render out a bunch at 8192x2048 resolution and share them with the community.
    What are you doing these in?

The renders were done in maya with xtream Vue 9.5 plugin (to generate atmospherics) and mentalray, I'll be trying out Vray next since I heard its faster and better. Rendering is something new to me since I've always worked on realtime scenes/levels so I'm still learning some stuff on this part :D
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    choco wrote: ยป
    FEE89.jpg

out of the four-pic the top left, or definitely this one. rarely do you see the moody overcast rain low contrast look done, and rarely this well. great work.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh, not exactly sure how this is going. especially in the shoulder and armpit region. pointers, please.

closergq.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Snafu any reason you are meshing out a character not in zb/mudbox? not really done anymore for serious character art
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one reason was because i'm a visual learner. if i do it manually i'll understand why mesh is supposed to go a certain way for deformation.

i'd also like to have my own basemesh to sculpt from, if anything.
  • Tickwomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tickwomp polycounter lvl 7
    Another bust for fun based off a Massive Black concept piece. Undecided if i should leave the orange on or not.

wip01d.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm diggin' the orange, personally.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Man, I love how diverse this thread is becoming. There's great, interesting, unique work on every page! Well done guys!

Here's a bunch of characters I'm working on for my project. I've been hacking terminals in Heng Sha a lot this past week so this is taking longer than it should!

battling_brigands_wip.jpg

Wohaaaaa ! As always, this is f**** awesome !!!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    benji wrote: ยป
    I'm making a start on a fantasy-themed cottage, to be hand painted, diffuse only and reasonably low poly. I've done a silhouette design but I have a creeping feeling that I'm totally ripping this idea from someone else's concept posted in this thread a while back that has been lodged in my mind... anyone know what I'm talking about?

silhouette.jpg

You are probably thinking of "The Black Cat" tavern....the artist name escapes me, but as another poster has said, just keep going. I was going to do something similar as well.
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    Nice monsters blaizer!

adding some random stuff on this dude, I should remove the shoes for flip flops or basket ball shoes... :)

d952aab4018de36b25f84bdf1fc09.png
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loving the arms on that character Holi, i really like the style of the muscle definition and the cartoony style of the large hands! Only thing i'll crit though is the chest and ab, seems a bit too edged and flat at the mo!

Heres something i've been working on the past week, thehigh poly is almost finished, still needs a few more split lines and rivets here and there and a bit more work on the rear end of the main body. I also have the front tires finished up and textured (this is an oldish pic of those however) and they're looking good so far.

tumblersheet4.jpg

[URL=http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9600/tumblersheet2.jpg]tumblersheet2.jpg

[/URL]
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings polycounters!
    Iยดm a first time poster, long time lurker. Iยดve been working on getting my skills back up to speed, after a 10 year "leave" from doing 3D :P
    Used to do games artwork back in ยด96-2001 but took a break after suffering heavy burnout ;)
    Anyhoo.. first full character Iยดm working on is starting to take shape and I wanted to see if I could get some feedback..
    Its a low poly model (under 5k atm) with a meshsmooth applied just for the test render.
    Iยดm still playing with the shapes and silhouette, and Iยดm not happy with the shape of the legs and feet.
    This guy is part of a duo of chars I have in mind, both are sort of "fishy" in how they look.. That is, this one is supposed to be dolphin like, and the other will be taller and slimmer like an eel.
    I was aiming for some kind of cartoony look, and wanted the setting to be a mix between WWII and Nam, but thats not set in stone and might change.
    Also below are two doodles from trying out this crazy thing called sculpting in mudbox..
    Wish we had that back in the day!
    (drop box links.. dont know if this works!)

fishdolphtest.jpg

gobbosculpt1.jpg
    jgoodmantry.jpg
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    mystichobo: Cheers mate. Have to agree that stretching it out would help, but it would work against game mechanics/looks. Because at the moment its small, manageable size so its doesn't take loads of screen space while its details are still visible. At the moment my intention is that the zeppelin itself is slow, but the cannon rotation is fairly quick (that's why its on those rails).
    So when its fairly squarish the slow rotation looks ok, but when it would have a distinctive cigar shape it would be harder to convey the slowness of the thing. I would have to make it extremely slow. If it makes any sense.
    But I will try a quick FFD on the zeppelin itself to see how it looks.

Impala88: Looks great! On thing on tyres that jumped out was that the tread looks really pronounced and blocky. However it probably will look great on the bake. Can't wait to see it fully textured!

Gusti: Love the dolphin dude. Get some grenades, machetes, guns on him! And some nice tattoos maybe, accessories, cigarette pack in one of those chest pockets.
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    a side project
    image.jpg
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work from everyone as usual.

@Nick Carver - love this stuff, what's the project?

First sculpt in a couple of weeks, sculptris + zb.

oldsmirk.jpg
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    That tumbler is looking really good.

This is the last skinny-hat-wearing-guy. I promise.

vhd.jpg
  • alexdubbeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    Rebliviate , thanks dude :)
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you know of a rivet script for maya? something like this http://t.co/WTf32qt
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Nick, cut that shit out, you're oozing style all over the place! Who's gonna clean it up huh?

Shotgun doodles
    komodoshotgun.jpg
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: ยป
    Nick, cut that shit out, you're oozing style all over the place! Who's gonna clean it up huh?

Shotgun doodles
    komodoshotgun.jpg

very nice :) I really dig nr. 2. Feels more bulky and like it packs a meaner punch than the one with the longer barrel.
  • Nilix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out for that ArenaNet Class of 2012 Internship for Environment Art. Although, part of me thinks I should shoot for Visual Effects since I've started taking a liking for it. Maybe I'll apply for both if I have time. In any case, the current progress. I have some space in that model for a lot more polys since the limit is 3K.Planning on starting sculpting today after some tweaks and UVs.5mjP
  • Akimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akimine polycounter lvl 18
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tickwomb: Personally I would keep the orange.. or at least keep the lines in what ever color variation that mixes with the blue, and the main color the head ends up as.
    I feel it helps break up and define the forms a little, and guides your eyes over the sculpt.
    Feels more visually pleasing, at least for me :)

Nick: I let out a long "oooooooooohhhhh" upon seeing that!

Impala88: you nailed the "weight" of the tumbler! Iยดve seen a fair few of those by now on various sites, and that one feels the the meanest so far. Cant wait to see it finished up.

Nilix: nice start! but check the roof curvature above the door. It seems like you are not using every other vertex line to define the curvature of the roof.
  • WesleyTack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    Working on my final Source level for my mod Off Limits. Here is a wip shot of it:

ol_undersiege020000.jpg

@Pope adem
    nice update, looks a lot better! Would be cool if you could find a way to do the T-shaped connections smooth as well, but those are a bit harder to fix without breaking the pattern in the central floor :)

www.moddb.com/mods/off-limits
    www.wesleytack.com
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Quack! wrote: ยป
    Small little side project for me, based on a concept of a backpack from Firefall the game.

backpack_3.jpg

I needed some sub-d practice and this concept was to cool to let up. Not finished though:

cOOL.png
  • Vadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painting I did for a friend. Had to cut some things short cause he needed it sooner than later but it happens. Finished it just a few minutes ago...

almostfull.jpg
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Work goes on with my Manx Meyer Dunebuggy.

This one has a bit more priority atm.
    Des_soldier.jpg
  • hooligan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some sketch as I was finishing up work this weekend.

spp_001.jpg

Looks beautiful!
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    Its been boomin' in here.
    Gotta contribute.

Taking a crack at that ArenaNet thingamachiga.Chose the boar.The ears look like butthole.
    I have to fix em tonight.I know I know im a terrible human being lol.

66c22112.png
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    Some crazy concept art doodle :)

Screenshot-2011-09-09_16.32.16.jpg
  • g2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So many cool stuff happening on these pages...
    Nick Carver : Amazing concepts as usual looking forward to see the rest of them :poly142:
    WesleyTack : Awesome man !!
    EiGHT : looks cool,seems that everyone is doing this arena net tests :)
    Highelf : great concept,very inspiring

My small contribution,wip from Comicon 2011,it's future nanotech Flash Girl :poly131:

fgwip02.jpg

fgwip03.jpg
  • - Livewire -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Livewire - polycounter lvl 9
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    *^* I really appreciate the effort in feedback you guys are giving me!
    I've tried to put in all the crits to the best of my ability, give or take some design choices.

I've ditched the pink, gawd knows what I was thinking... >_<

qJkhD.jpg

Almighty_gir, If that's queried at me lol...? Not that I pretend to be awsum enough to go making instructional tuts, but I do however intend to make a folio thread soon going over what I've learnt from the experience of being out of my gritty comfort zone for this character. Which includes the evil task of hair. Hopefully others in my position can take away & benefit from my troubles lol.

Cheers Daphz & Magnas, I'm gonna play it safe with the brown again lol XD

D1ver thanks for the ideas and that great link, that's going in the bookmarks. I've messed with the nose and I've gone back on the hair so I can stick with the maroon jeans :)

Yo Dreamer, thanks man you always put in a big chunk of effort in crits for me. It's now painfully obvious to me I don't spend nearly long enough on sculpting noses lol! I made it thinner, more inline with the tear ducks, reshaped the general tip area and actually gave her a septum as she really didn't even have one XD doh. I'm going to get in some hardcore nose studies this weekend!
    I also shrank the feet, they were massive now you mention it...
    Altho I'm not entirely clear on the face & head size issue, shes 7 and abit heads. however it was the slender feminine head that took me out of my comfort zone as apposed to the gnarly exaggerated man faces norm, so I may just be completely oblivious to any probs.

MM; I'm still amateur, but I feel abit more validated as an artist to know that you saw value enough to put time into a lengthy crit for me. I'm sure everyone has your work in their inspiration folder lol.

Your points on the hair were great, especially the emphasis on the specularity rather than diffuse, I toned down the strands and put most of the colour info into the spec which payed off instantly.
    I also bumped up the spec on the met & jewl parts, altho its not too obvious on the belt buckle head on, but its very clear on rotation.
    I made sure to be soft on the AO, and may try out a shot with rt shadows in udk.

I've tried alot on the materials, your dead right about them being off, the jeans came across as large woven fabric on reflection. So I changed it to a more subtle pattern focusing on the vertical lines and kept any normals very faint. Aswell as more faded seams.
    The jacket was alot harder tho and I still don't feel like I've fully grasped it yet, despite more reference. >_<;

I also got rid of the hair split down the back and added another alpha to help thicken it out. Thanks for the mega help dude :D

Greevar your damn right! What's my subconscious trying to tell me lol.

Cheers Jaco, gruesomely cool idea on the nutrient sucking contraption. Lookin forward to seeing future updates.

Thanks Neox I appreciate that man :)

Funky Bunnies I see what you mean, I think it's the eyebrows heh, altho Jenna has such an old person chin thing going on lol. Your right about the hair and detail frequency.

Disanski, Yeah the strawberry hair was totally letting it down, getting rid of it seems to be for the best lol.

Who is this Mark Salesman Massbot lol? ;P

Sweet afisher, but I can't shake the feeling his head is too thin, especially if he's got the added scale of a mask/cowl on top.

Dii nice skin work on the 'triceratusks' I want him to have a curly tail!

Quack! I SEE SOME BAD TRIANGLES!111 lol seriously tho Nick there are some inside the top right shielding in the corners above the round thing. ;>
    Kickass work on the tubing tho dude :thumbup: it looks proper slick especially with the backlighting. I'm looking forward to the texturing. :D

Fuse great weight to your naky dude there, the lower abs look weird tho like they've been framed. I can't tell if the elbows are too high up it may just be the viewing angle, excellent start tho I can't wait for the higher level details.

Dude g2000, am enjoying your nanotech flash girl, she's also looking abit 'Stark Industries' aswell wouldn't you say.
    I can directly see my previous year's comicon Infected Master Chief thigh armor in her Vastus Medialis thigh plate hehe! I think that's pretty cool even if you didn't intentionally do it! XD
    Her arms are also very short if you line up the elbows with the belly button or the wrists with the crotch.
    Gud luck with her :thumbup:
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Big improvement on the hair Mask_Salesman. Not too fussed on the boots, but everything else is ok. Not sure what it is about the boots, maybe the colour or the size.

The tonal range in the jeans could use a little work, they seem a little saturated/lacking variation right now
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf: I likes it! Would make for a whicked thing to model.

g200: awesome! <3 Flash

-Livewire-: second attempt looks alot better, although the scratches in the dirt seem rather artificial. I'd study these a bit and try to mix and match em to get a nice look.
    stanker02.jpg
    stock-photo-barrel-dirty-drum-barrel-31281172.jpg

Mask_Salesman: I love that model. Gets better every time you post it :D
  • - Livewire -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Livewire - polycounter lvl 9
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Quack! I SEE SOME BAD TRIANGLES!111 lol seriously tho Nick there are some inside the top right shielding in the corners above the round thing. ;>
    Kickass work on the tubing tho dude it looks proper slick especially with the backlighting. I'm looking forward to the texturing.

Don't make me hunt you down Chris! :] Your chick is looking awesome. I love her curves and how she is a bit more 'real'. Her current face pose is saying "I'm scared" but she is flashing the peace sign, so that confuses my tiny brain. Alpha plane that fur and hair!
    I needed some sub-d practice and this concept was to cool to let up. Not finished though:

cOOL.png

I would revisit your proportions. What makes the concept so cool, to me at least, is that all of the details mesh really well. By straying from the concept you have lost that spunk the concept has. A blockout was essential for this as it helped with proportions. I also modeled each piece 'straight' and with the grid, then instanced them into place, any modifications that I did each piece I did on the 'straight' instance and it would translate to the full backpack. I think you should take a step back, look at the concept and compare it to yours and then do a long self critique. Proceed from there.
  • g2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman : Hey thanks maan,didn't know i made same design choices like on your masterchief,i was looking mainly at crysis nanosuit designs :poly135:,yeah i was thinking about adding a small logo of stark industries somewhere,gonna try extending her arms like you suggested.And about you girl model,she's absolutely hawt to my standards (like her face the way it is now),i kinda liked her red hair a bit more,though this one works well :thumbup:
    Gusti : Thanks dude :)
  • Remmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remmers polycounter lvl 7
    Shamelessly crossposting my thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88088.

I'm planning some workflow breakdowns soon.

wbq8av.jpg

2r2of9c.jpg
  • Checko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko polycounter lvl 6
    @Remmers - wow! looks superfantastic!

Thinking this is done!incubatorwip6c1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.