Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Graduation Project UDK Temple

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Remmers polycounter lvl 7
Hey polycounters,

I wanted to show you the graduation project I created. It was the first time creating an environment in UDK, so the shaders etc are very simple and straightforward. The foliage and the particles in the scene are from UDK since I was only focussing on modular assets.

The goal of this project was to set up different workflows using zbrush in different stages of the production process. If people are interested I can make a few workflow breakdowns to show my processes.

Anyway here are a few screenshots and a link to a flythrough video.

http://www.vimeo.com/27977880

2r2of9c.jpg
2pyvynl.jpg
fc08y9.jpg
wbq8av.jpg

Replies

• Logan5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work dude, lovin it!! How long did it take to complete? I demand to see your workflow breakdowns :P
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Beautiful work! I too would like to see more :)
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet scene especially for a first level in UDK. Logan5 has a point, some breakdowns would be killer.

http://orbart.free.fr/index.php?Gallery=105

Orb, shows a really nice process on how he went about sculpting :)
  • Remmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, this scene took me about 2 weeks I re-used a lot of assets :)
    I will work on some workflow breakdowns soon.

@Poffington: I think UDK is quite intuitive, it wasn't that difficult to put a scene together when I got the assets complete. And yes, Orb is a real inspiration!
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work.

Ancient temples are so much more interesting then rusty metal corridors.

Liking the feel of this.

I would like to see a close up of your foliage!

Also you said you reused a lot of assets. How many pieces in total were used for the structure?
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I think lightening up the shadows and lowering the scene contrast would make it a good deal more impressive. I would look into changing the environment color to a dark blueish.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    looks great. the second screenshot however seems a bit dark
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I want to have it's babies!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looks really nice.

Not sold on the color palette or that water shader. Otherwise though it's great. Nice forms and design. Care to share asset breakdowns?
  • Checko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko polycounter lvl 6
    Looks amazing. I want it to be my backyard! What about playing with some light rays and depth of field!?
  • Outbreak107
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work, only crit I have is the water shader there is something really off about it in the video, try and make the water murkier, the water you have now looks like something running from a glacier.
  • Micah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Noticed this from your waywo thread and throught i should say keep up the awesome work!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some thoughts/

The images are really blurry :(

I think you are using a rather low texture size really, or not reusing it enough to gain any from a small size.
    That and the image compression might not be helping it.

For the colors used, it is nice to have them mixed into other objects so there is sort of a harmony going, but it is leaning towards too much colors in common.
    Nothing stands out because of that

It seems a bit low on contrast, specialy the last two images if it is mid day.
    Try some light variation and get some darker brighter areas going?
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    This looks really good.

I agree with Rens comments though, it lacks some color and lighting variation to make it more readable. Right now it´s really hard to focus on anything because it all sort of has the same values.

I´d add some strong colors to some areas...
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
  • Remmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments and the crits guys, really appreciate that.

As I mentioned in waywo, lighting scenes and creating/modifying shaders are relatively new for me. Really have to practice more with that.

@Rens & Ixenonl: I see what you mean and agree with it. For about 80% of the scene only two materials were used and I had some noobish difficulties adding more color variety and contrast.

The compression is indeed blurring my images a bit, I mainly used 1024 textures in my scene. 512 for the smaller parts and one 2048 texture for the arena part in the centre

@synergy11: the foliage is mainly from udk :) I used about 3 basic piece the create 80% of the structures. On top of that I had some less modular pieces to fill things up like the pots/statues etc.

@Razgriz: Thanks, I will look into the scene lighting and colors if I got some time :)

@P442: That will be big babies...

@jeffro & Outbreak107: Thanks! I'm not a pro with shaders, I used the default udk water shader and did some modifications. Personally I like the effect of clear water within a natural or temple environment so that was what I wanted to achieve, I agree though that it could be more integrated with the environment in terms of color/murkiness.

@Checko: There are default lightrays in the scene from udk :P I played with depth of field but I wasn't able to enhance the scene with it.

It is currently quite busy so I didn't really find a moment yet to create some breakdowns. However if I find some time I will work on 'm :)
  • j0nchron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome man!

Really enjoying the statues.