Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retro Space Age Jinx - "Set phasers to HAVOC! Teehee!" - League of Legends

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Hey Polycount,

This character is going to probably fill a weird niche between high fidelity as well as League-style exaggeration in my portfolio as it stands.

"Retro Jinx" is an illustration of a fan skin idea from Eric Hibbeler. He's got a lovely daub-like stroke making with his work! Check out more of his stuff at http://www.erichibbeler.com/!

GOALS:
- Reasonably create a high fidelity, League-exaggerated human character
- Maintain/assert a strong League aesthetic style.
- Prove proficiency in creating complex and simple clothing assets, as well as managing many subtools.
- Practice effective PBR texturing workflow.
- Understand Substance Designer workflow.

If you have any critiques about what is going on, I'd definitely would like to hear them :). Learning is still happening for me, as it were.

== Project Complete (for GDC) ==

0Z7RSbG.jpg
63sRPZe.jpg
rVKNO9s.jpg
XysB0tG.jpg
4DlHCOu.jpg
j6Mozua.jpg
UsNnrsj.jpg
6oWAxE6.jpg
fbtfLdQ.jpg
gSeplyF.jpg
tviGClq.jpg
QYiZTle.jpg
LUhk1oG.jpg
2TdRDZf.jpg
gCysgEf.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 01

Character Block In Proportions looking okay?

rwpehXA.jpg

FNuPmXl.jpg

HIghpoly for the Mini-gun and the Rocket Launcher

AQUgqRC.jpg

KiyuTdK.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to extrude a complex geo repeatedly along a curve, is there anyway of doing this in Maya, or do I have to make a Surface :(

a3bZeg7.jpg
  • dschmidt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dschmidt3d polycounter lvl 6
    Have you tried selecting the mesh and then the curve together and extruding?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dschmidt3D: I've tried the (Poly) Extrude options, and I keep getting errors. It won't take a complex mesh here and cleanly connect it :(
  • Paznos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paznos triangle
    If you're trying to extrude the profile along the curve you can just, fill the hole, select the face and hit extrude, as schmidt said.

But i'm guessing you're attempting to repeat the object along the curve? maya afaik doesn't have an inbuilt tool for it like max. iirc there's a hacky method where you use motion paths in the animation set > create animation snapshot, but its not the best method.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Paznos: It's be the latter that's my intention. I've decided to forgo it and do most of the detailing in normal generation.

WIP 06

uGP1GGu.jpg

Spent a lot of time on the backpack.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Will IMM brush work for it ?
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Looking great! The whole thing is really coming together. The things that stick out to me are; her hands could be scaled up a bit and maybe her legs could be a bit thinner (depends on if you want to match the concept or in-game model more). She is veeeery lean/lanky. http://www.lolking.net/models/?champion=222&skin=0&page=2

Her shoes are a bit flat/wide. Her right foot in the concept has a really nice silhouette. Are you planning on having an expression on her face? Can't wait to see more!
  • Chronicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chronicle polycounter lvl 5
    One way you can duplicate it along the path is by animating it along the path you want and then duplicating it at each frame you want it at
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 07

Redid existing base meshes.

Made the oxygen tubes in the back thicker, as well as the nozzle insertions.

Perliminary sculpting done to clothing elements.

Something feels off about the face, but I'm not too sure what.

cpulfkU.jpg

WVJVTqB.jpg

77k3SSN.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I'd say eyes are way too big, back anatomy looks kinda weird. Would be better to jump back to a lower level, work on just the body for the moment, fix anatomy issues first and then work on clothing, seems like you're rushing ahead a bit.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do!

About the eyes, I can't get away with saying it's the style / how the illustration looks, can I?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm assuming the folds need to be thinner if the clothing is of a more plastic material?
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    jinxFace.jpg

Here's a quick compare to her in-game face and what you currently have. I'd say the face shape is pretty close, it's the eyes and the smirk that make her Jinx.

jinxTpose.jpg

Also a T-pose for general comparison.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, the size of the top eyelid and squint of the eyes are a bit too compressed for me, but I sort of see where the face is going. Might take some more noodling.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 08

If anyone has any critiques, I would definitely like to hear them :)!

Clothing folds being blocked in as well as seams.

Face has gone through proportional changes. Changed the shape of the nose to reflect the shape seen in the League of Legends Jinx music video. Added preliminary eye shadow and blush, and skin texturing to give it some more volume, and to see if I can offset the strange look of the face sculpt.

Df136xK.jpg

UxgaC1f.jpg

TV7RHEk.jpg

ovuZSC4.jpg

wfDh1a5.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 09

Additional detailing on the clothes for folds.

Is it acceptable to leave the belts as a single planes in high poly? Right now, I have them sculpted on with only one plane, thinking I could just extrude it. I do plan to have the belts actually have thickness. Is there a way to extrude the plane IN Zbrush?

FvbXnsm.jpg

AS46ALj.jpg

aPabGUP.jpg

otVTUfT.jpg

nXYli1V.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Hey!

Good work, keep it coming :) - I saw you on the WYWO thread and noticed you asked how to add thickness to the belt you've made; in zbrush you can go to the Geometry Panel > Edgeloop > Panel Loops.

You can actually select you thickness using a slider and it'll create those new parts as separate Polygroups; you can then use the Crease Polygroups option in the Geometry Panel > Crease > Crease PG to reinforce those edges and make it hard edge :)

Hope this helps. I'll be watching this thread!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DaveJr: That did the trick!

Seeking advice on another small detailing solution.

I want to add consistent, seamless leather noise across the backpack straps. I have alphas (both square, and blurred circles), but the jimmying I do in the Noise Plugin doesn't seem to get the seamless, overlapping I particularly want.

I'm wondering if I should just do this post-bake in texture maps, or is there a solution that I don't know about.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You could use the blurred circles in a brush and paint it on manually? Or maybe stencil it in with Spotlight if you can do that for height and not just color.
    Looking good, though!

Edit: Her belly button is a bit low! Should be up towards the middle of her torso.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BagelHero: If that's really the only solution, I'll stomach doing it manually. I am open to more procedural solutions.

Will get on that bellybuttong adjustment.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 10a

Additional polypainting of the face, using Ysalex's skin painting tutorial. Wish there was a direct reference about which areas are redder and which areas are bluer. I feel like I was just doing general differences in different areas.

Also added pores and wrinkle detials on a Layer.

u0okrrJ.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Pick up the first vertex mag (I'll check this in a sec, might be wrong), that has ref for what undercolors go where!

Also I just noticed, but you might want to look up makeup ref for the 50's-60's look, rather than going with Jinxes cooler colorscheme (since you're going with the blonde rockabilly/housewife look, instead of blue and punk-rock). Most of the difference is in application, I reckon, but you might want to re-think the pink lips and go for something warmer/redder. Same with the blush.

EDIT: yeah, Vertex 1, page 214!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BagelHero: Found it!

Golly this is fantastic! Thank God, it's super explicit! Thank you so much!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, no problem. Glad it helped!
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    @DaveJr: That did the trick!

Seeking advice on another small detailing solution.

I want to add consistent, seamless leather noise across the backpack straps. I have alphas (both square, and blurred circles), but the jimmying I do in the Noise Plugin doesn't seem to get the seamless, overlapping I particularly want.

I'm wondering if I should just do this post-bake in texture maps, or is there a solution that I don't know about.

Glad it worked,

I think I know what you mean, in regards to the leather noise you want to add. The noisemaker plugin tends to work a lot better should the subtool be unwrapped. Use the GOz plugin or even just export the belt to a unwrapping software (headus, 3ds max/maya) unwrap and retry.

Should I have mistaken what you were asking; it probably would be best to manually do it :)

Keep it up!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 10

Belt detailing done.

Zipper added to the right boot.

Added additional bolts to the backpack.

Also started some retopology on the MiniGun model!

Any critiques? :D

AUXaaV4.jpg

M1K7csc.jpg

jrSLmV9.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 11a

Fixed proportions on Minigun. Need to add the back cable clip.

jXbNMwr.png
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Hey dude, I did a quick paintover for you. It's by no means perfect, but I hope it's helpful.

ZgnWm7B.jpg

I'd suggest taking a look at a few different things when you get a chance so you can really nail the face. Whatever happens with the rest of the body, the face is what's going to really sell this.

Anyway. Definitely take a look at Gil Elvgren's pinup work. He painted the exact type of face that you should be trying to get with this. You should emulate his work, and then inject a bit of the Jinx attitude into the final piece (complete with crazy grin!).

In addition, definitely check out Hazardous' girls for cues on how to get nice subtle sculpted shapes. Whatever you think of him, the guy is a master at subtle form and his faces are top notch when it comes to selling the idea of an attractive woman.

Finally, go look at models' headshots. A lot of them are pretty heavily Photoshopped, but you can get a lot of ideas about the appropriate amount of detail you want to put into things like skin from looking at people who are supposed to be beautiful for a living.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swizzle: Thanks, Xavier! It might be a bit before get to touch the face again, but I'll study over your critiques and advice once I can sit down and work on this again.

If I remember correctly, Hazardous has some of his articles in Vertex, right?

Looking at Gil's stuff, I definitely see what ya'll are saying. I want to edge away from the too powdery look, which involves the give and take with the pores and face details. I think I'll have to look into a compromise somewhere.
  • Atokal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    The makeup feels a little too painted on as opposed to blended in. Try lowering your intensity and de-saturating your tones before painting. Also, those pores seem a little too big. They should be smaller and not so deep. Everything else is looking really great though. I love those weapons. Super sweet.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    accidentally double posted - Ignore.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swizzle:

Tried implementing the pin-up aesthetics. Rounded cheeks, thinned out and defined the nose a bit more like your paintover.

Regarding apple-rounded cheeks, is that a shape ide aonly, or a color as well?

Real-lfe example, is it something like this? tumblr_lijs4p9e9I1qhv3q5o1_500_large.png

I'm going to remark that I still don't think I'm going about nailing a classic pinup female face. I should look into existing 3D sculpts, maybe I'm not seeing enough examples, even between the Elvgren paintings (which have much in silhouette and proportions, but not in internal details).

Z97cqg5.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You gotta give her a smile if her smile lines are that harsh.
    Remember that you also need to capture Jinx in this!
    jKEVYsMJ.png

So, imo, the main things here apart from the smile are that the cheeks aren't raising the lower lids of the eyes. Jinx is "crazy happy", her smiles are very, very genuine. You can even see it in the concept you're going off, her eyes are like a semi-circle shape. If the cheeks don't raise the lower lid, it makes any smile seem fake, and and if she's not smiling it just comes off kinda plastic or like she's had some sorta injection to keep her cheeks like that all the time....
    pb5p27fu.png
    Additionally, I think the sharp line on the nose is... kinda weird looking, I feel it needs to be smoothed out to a plane change rather than a harsh line.

The nostrils are also a little wide compared to the bridge of the nose. I think getting rid of the harsh lines will probably help this a little, but idk.

Could we see a side profile?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BagelHero: Even if it's a default face, am I still supposed to add those laugh lines and contortions? Wouldn't the rest of that be rigging anyways?
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I feel like in this case it's probably a fine idea to just have the laugh lines and stuff BE the default face. Will you ever need to animate her to convey proper anger or sadness? or just open mouth/closed mouth? This is probably not the type of piece where you show just how awesome your facial animation/wrinkle map skills are, tbh.

If you would rather have this sort of deformation be part of the rig, then you want to sculpt the default face without the smile-lines being pushed out and with the cheeks in a less extreme position, and sculpt another one of an extreme smile for a blendshape instead.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the face:

Z97cqg5.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And make-up pass again:

pml9UVB.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know what's going on with my circle curve extrusion? It keeps doing this flip right before it follows the curve.

Been following this tutorial: http://www.3dtutorialzone.com/tutorial?id=110

WmA9W3T.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    I think that head sculpt has opportunities for some polishing still. The eyebrows are really close together, and the forehead needs more forehead. The blush is too low, it should be on the apex of the cheeks, not below it. On that note, cheek muscles are a little low as well. the The radix, nasal bone is too narrow and shallow, making the face fall flat. The alar base is too wide and the nostril wings should lower a little, depends but it's not that high. The eye lashes, I hope they're place holders, and I think you should slightly move the eyeballs into the socket, just a smidge to show some depth. I think you need to show where the supraorbital meets the zygomatic, aka the corners of the temples. And I would soften the chin a bit, just a little, find that balance.
    I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 11d

In the effort to make leaps and bounds in progress, and stop henpecking at the main body model, I decided to finally get started on the Zap! gun.

CIvUZHm.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @garriola83:

I was taking after this Elvgren painting for the cheek blush. Here it looks pretty low to me, and still aesthetically pleasing as well, so that was why I originally had it there. I moved it up though, since it seems a bit more real.

ELVGREN_img_77.jpg

The eyelashes are temporary.

Gave her more forehead space by moving her hairline up.
    Adjusted her nose, made it slightly wider and account for the nasal bone.
    Moved her cheek slightly upwards, hopefully this is what you were talking about?|

akiwciL.jpg

yUvQcF8.jpg

Also really looking for critiques regarding the clothing. I've been henpecking away at this, and without something like Marvelous Designers, I've been really debating whether those folds are too soft or too sharp, or accurate to where the tension points are.

HegWeyL.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking in the hair while I wait for additional critiques on the rest of the body and face.

D2RULUJ.jpg

Also crosspost from my other character model thread, does anyone know what tool I should be using in Maya to get my hair braid to conform ALONG a CV curve? Can't use Attach to Motion Paths in this instance it seems.

vw8fdBv.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hair blocked in.

If anyone has time, I'd definitely would appreciate a looksy over the body sculpt. If there's anything out of place, needs improvement, etc.

MI0ehB8.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woudl it be unwise if I just use this for my head retopology?

RGagomw.jpg
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    Hey JadeEyePanda! To be honest it looks way too high poly (it looks like it has been zremeshed to me).

If you simply want to pose your character for a maquette/render/still pose, sure it's ok.
    But if you want to rig your character or show it in your portolio, I would do a clean topology before baking my highpoly.

Keep up the good work, it's coming along nicely. Cheers!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could drop it a subdivision. The original mesh is remarkably clean, from initial glance.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    While it is clean for sculpting (even quads), it could be improved a lot if it's gonna be use for animation. It's a little hard to see since it's at an higher subdivision, but I still can see a lot of stars that are either too close (which would cause problem when the face would deform), or that you could get rid of altogether (the ones in the forehead region are totally useless for example, and you could have a clean loop instead).

It really comes down to what you want to do with the character!
    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my initial post. Hopefully that was helpful! :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jean-Pascal: Sounds like I'll just have to retopologize. I am planning to have some semblance of facial animation. Either me learning how to do so in the future, or if someone else is going to do it.