Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Brett Holton

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Raider polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys after finishing my fighter I decided to redo my website, kept it short and sweet. Bio still need some text on it but everything else is available on the main page. Let me know what you think :)

http://www.brettholton.net/

Replies

• dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    I didn't watch your videos. Mostly because i prefer pictures.
    Your site is easy and simple. It does look a little too simple (lack of artyness) but that is entirely relative. I like purdy. Some, couldn't care less.

Your art is decent. The main problem i have with your work is the presentation. T-poses are so defeating. They take all the character out of the character. Pose them suckers.

Your textures are good. I think that they are also not being displayed very well. By that mean that the lighting and the smoothing groups (or hard edges) are kind of making the entire piece look sloppy. The robot is a good example of this effect. I can't tell if he's normal mapped. IF he is than your bake for the normals was done with incorrect normals. If it wasn't then you should probably learn how to light past-gen characters either with vertex colors + lights or 100% self-illumination with hand painted (or baked) lighting. Also with robot, cookie and dorrien, they seem to lack some good optimization of triangle usage.

I know i didn't really talk about your site. Sorry, i suck at webnets.

best of luck.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    I think it'd benefit you if you had more variety in your toons. By that I mean various different silhouettes. Since your main theme seems cartoony, why not throw a plump character in there or a villain who's silhouette is an upside down pyramid.

I also agree with what dur23 said about your textures, show some flats perhpas? I can't tell if you've made spec maps or not.

I think it'd be pretty cool if you textured your WoW inspired toon more like WoW itself. Just a thought!

I think your renders are too small. Your name and contact info seems alot larger than the art itself. Maybe you should render closer shots, or make your name watermark smaller and on the bottom of the screenshot.

Good presentation though, short and simple.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    cheers for the crit guys, i'll go back and do some poses on the characters, most of it was really getting the site working and then i'll get on all the tweaking.

The only normal mapped characters are my fighter and troll... my troll is old school which i did like first trimester of uni, most of the cartoon styled chars were done during an internship.

With dorrien / cookie / simon i did them all 3 days a piece, so yer they could have been better but i'd prefer to make another model better then my fighter then to go back and retouch all their topology as they're almost a year old now :)

I was reading the guides to a folio site and i decided to keep it really simple hence the design, everything... is really available on the first page at a single click.

but i'll definitely get the poses happening on the characters and texture pics. cheers :)