Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Belgian Boolean

Hey Polycounters!

So, I've posted a couple WIPs here (see here and here )but have a bad habit of not updating threads or showing finished projects. Such is the curse of working full time! Either way, I'm hoping to make a habit of posting stuff semi-regularly and not clogging up the forums with unfinished work. To be honest, I have never had much confidence in my work, so I'm rather terrified of posting. This thread is hopefully a way of overcoming that a bit. ;)

About myself, I'm a 24 year old designer/instructor at the Adidas HQ for the U.S. I wear a lot of hats here. I develop tools for designers, work as a project manager at times, model and texture apparel and footwear for concepts that are 3-4 years from release, and teach designers new techniques/tools. My real passion, though, is hard surface modeling and games in general. I really hope to break into the industry but I'm worried my skills aren't quite where they should be. As I post work, I'm hoping to get crits and advice to help me get there. Any assistance is much appreciated!

Down to brass tacks, this is my current wip. I'm modeling the Con Am 27 shuttle from the 80's classic Outland. I'm a huge scifi buff, and I dig the bulky functional design. My main goal is to just do a high poly model to push my skills. After this, I want to touch up some old work and focus on actual game assets.

If you don't know what Outland is, I made this handy description here

Here's the original model from the movie. One of the builders did the Nostromo from Alien as well. Gotta respect the old school, and you can certainly see the similarities.

shuttlelarge2.jpg

Here's my progress thus far. It's taken me 2 or 2 1/2 weeks to get here.

rendertest2l.jpg

And this a random mix of wip shots I made during that time.

enginet.jpg

landinggearcasing.jpg

landinggeari.jpg

bridge2z.jpg

Thanks for checking this out! I look forward to posting more projects and getting involved with such a crazy good community.

Replies