Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Agustus - Environment Scene [UDK]

Hi All,

When I started mapping as a hobby back in 2000 the very first map I created was DM-RomanBaths for Unreal Tournament. Sadly there was nothing really Roman about it other than the square baths and a vague color similarity.

This map never saw the light of day as I was unaware of the huge community at the time. Whilst my college friends and I had fun playing the map it was always a sore point that I could never make the map the way I had envisaged.

Years later, the time has come to finally do something about it. I decided to upgrade my mapping skills and bite the 3ds Max bullet. My goal is this:
  • Re-create DM-RomanBaths as a UDK Environment
  • Learn to make meshes with 3DS Max
To make this a reality I dove into google searching for every picture I could find on the baths. I eventually settled on the ones in Bath, UK. It most closely resembled what I imagined and had a decent amount of modularity to it.

After having a read of Minotaur0's article (Creating Modular Environments in UDK) I was sufficiently motivated to learning how to build my own meshes. I dug out my copy of "Mastering Unreal Technology Vol 1" and Set about making that arched doorway in Max. An hour or so later I had three instances in max with 3 different, albeit simple, materials. While they are hardly even worth the screenshot I thought it might be fun to tell the whole story.

ScreenShot00007.jpg

The next step is where I am currently at: Proof of Concept. I dove into the editor and started playing with brushes to get the basic dimensions right so that I wouldn't have to play with scaling in Max. What follows is a mood board and scale test mash up. It shows what I'd like the end result to resemble and simultaneously laying the ground work for max.

roman-baths_01.jpg

I am writing this thread for multiple reasons.
  • To show the evolution from start to finish
  • To have a place where I can seek expert help or guidence
  • If I have an audience, theres a greater chance I'll follow through :)
  • Hopefully this thread can be a learning experience to future beginner Environment Artists

So I ask any and all, please feel free to share your comments, criticisms, advice. I am concerned that I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but hope that is not the case.

Stat Tuned! I'll update this post as I have something worth showing.

Thank you for viewing :)
-ObG

Replies