Home Technical Talk

Export Materials from Max to Source Game Engine

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
shawnolson polycounter lvl 13
Many of the latest updates to Wall Worm Model Tools have been for adding features to the material exporting abilities. As such, I decided to make a new video demonstrating the general flow of getting materials from Max into Source with WWMT. This video demonstrates version 1.64 which changed the maps used for exporting $envmapmask from Specular Color to Specular Level.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjvBe57w3CQ[/ame]

I have also added some new docs for exporting materials.

In that page is a new reference chart:

material_chart_full_web_1-64.png

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... you're on a one man mission to make Source easier to edit. I love all the tools you've done and I couldn't imagine doing anything in Source as fast without these tools!
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... you're on a one man mission to make Source easier to edit. I love all the tools you've done and I couldn't imagine doing anything in Source as fast without these tools!

Thank you Mark! It makes me feel really good to hear things like that. I guess my mission is to use my favorite tool (Max) to do 99.9% of my favorite 3D passtime (Source level design). Hopefully I can continue to add new things to make it even better as time goes on.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    where were you 3 years ago when i was working as part of a source mod team..? ;-(

looks awesome.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    where were you 3 years ago when i was working as part of a source mod team..? ;-(

looks awesome.
    Just getting back into level design and learning 3ds Max :P

Unfortunately, I missed an important thing in the video above: that you can't use $envmapmask and $bumpmap at the same time. I had intended on demonstrating how to transfer the Specular Level map into the alpha of Bump, Diffuse or Self-Illumination... but it slipped my mind (I have the bad habit of doing videos unscripted and on-the-fly).

So I updated the material export docs and added a new chart for reference:

texture_bump_and_envmapmask_web.png