Home General Discussion

For those of you in the industry, how many hours a week ?

This is just out of curiosity, I am estimating around 60 hours non crunch time. It could be a present, or past company, you don't need to post the names either. With that being said how many hours do you work a week typically? This is a supplemental post to my other thread if any of you read that Breaking into the industry: school vs self taught

I am curious because I am engaged, and my fianc

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not in the industry, but there have been some similar threads recently, I would imagine you're going to get answers along the following lines:

Hours vary depending on project and how far into a project.

And

If you want it enough, then job > fianc
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    45 hours. 8-17 or 9-18 5 days a week.

Yeh this is me. (not some average i got somewhere) sometimes i stay longer because its fun. I think its pretty easy to balance work and social life, I have it good. :)
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not in the industry, but there have been some similar threads recently, I would imagine you're going to get answers along the following lines:

Hours vary depending on project and how far into a project.

And

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well during crunch we had around 55-70 hours a week, you get burned out very quickly and you stop appriciating the work you're doing. Right now I have normal hours, I work from

09.00 -> 17:30
    (I have 2 hours travel a day to get to and from work though, so I still don't get home until 18:45)
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    If people are spending 12 hours every day working, you're probably getting 4-5 hours of actual work done a day out of them.
    Seems like a good way to burn people out.

My last job was an 8-9 hour thing. If you actually work during the day you shouldn't have to supplement more hours imo. Seems like some people stare into space for a couple hours during the day and they end up working into the night.

/me shrug

I've never experienced an intense crunch so far.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    60 hours a week when NOT in crunch? Christ, I surely hope no one thinks this is normal or acceptable. If you're working 60 hours a week regularly;
    1. Your studio's management is shit
    2. You need to take a serious look at your workflows and processes, either personally or as far as your game's art pipeline is concerned
    3. All of the above

40-45 hours for a normal week is what *should* be considered normal, 60 hours crunch. When you get beyond this, actual productivity seriously drops. Consistently working 60 hour weeks is not a good idea for anyone, if there is anyone here who does this, you should have a serious conversation with your managers about work load.

For me, the best way to avoid crunch is:
    1. Get clear assignments from your leads, clear goals and clear standards for completion. This helps everyone to be able to schedule properly.
    2. Find ways to get your tasks done in the allot ed time, instead of banging your head against the wall working 12-16 hour days, try and find workflow solutions to save time, work smarter etc etc.
    3. If all my assignments are done, and I'm asked to crunch I refuse. Sure I will lend a hand and help out a little, but I will not crunch needlessly because other departments are behind and "everyone is doing it". Its very important to draw a line between work and personal life, and not let work become the only thing in your life, especially if you have a fiancee, wife, family, etc.

I work very hard to make sure I'm on task, know everything I need to do and understand how long it is going to take, and communicate with leads/managers if I feel something is going to take more/less time that allotted, so I get pretty pissed off when I'm asked to crunch under those circumstances. Some might think that I'm not a good "team player" because of this, but to me, its just about having self respect and being professional at your job.

If I am behind because of my own lazyness, stupidity, or poor planing I will stay extra. If I'm having a lot of fun, or want to finish something off so I can cue up bakes overnight I will stay extra. But I really despise the idea of mandatory crunch, or what is so seemingly common as "planned crunch" these days on projects.
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    40-45 hours for a normal week is what *should* be considered normal, 60 hours crunch. When you get beyond this, actual productivity seriously drops. Consistently working 60 hour weeks is not a good idea for anyone, if there is anyone here who does this, you should have a serious conversation with your managers about work load.

How would you go about doing this? To me in this industry, from what I have heard, doing that sort of thing might get you removed from the company.

Thanks for the insightful reply EQ
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it really depends on the company. I know this isn't always an option for everyone, but the more people just "take it" the worse it gets for everyone, as overwork and abuse simply becomes the norm. Not everyone is in a situation where they can risk losing their job over these sort of issues.

However, hopefully you will have atleast one person above you that is sympathic to these issues(if not, the place you're at probably isnt the best). Its best to go to leads generally first, someone you have a lot of interaction with, so you're not making demands straight to the CEO or something.

Now, you want to be positive, and proactive in these situations. Don't wait until you're so pissed that you're about to snap, and then demand change. Instead, always try to keep an eye on work hours and how long it takes you to do stuff, and when the time comes to talk about workload; approach it in a manner where you're suggesting postive solutions.

IE: "Hey lead, we're spending way too much time on X or Z, how about we try and do A or B to speed up the process?" Then explain the stress working extra is having on your family/personal life. Generally, if you can go into this sort of conversation with the mentality that you're looking for better solutions, not just wanting to head out earlier, it will go better.

Talk to your co-workers, see if they feel the same way. If they aren't working as long as you, talk to them about how they get their work done on time, their process, etc. If everyone is in the same boat as you, try to co-ordinate some meetings with your peers and lead(s) about what you can do to make the department run more efficiently. Try to avoid the ultimatum type conversations, as this has a much higher likelihood of being met with resistance.

In general, communication is HUGE here, and without any communication, these situations can turn toxic fast.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh one last thing: As someone new to the industry, have realistic expectations of yourself. Do not tell your lead you can do a 1 week project in 2 days just to impress. This is never a good idea, as you just end up causing more work for others or putting yourself in a bind when you fail to deliver.

It is very very very important, that everyone at a studio, no matter what the skill level, is honest about how long it actually takes them to do something. Its a given that not everyone works at the same speed, so the more realistic you can be when giving time estimates, the easier you make for yourself and the guys above you plotting hours in excel.
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome post as always EQ, thank you!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I work from 8 till 6pm... i could just work 8 hrs. but i like to put that extra time since people request lead attention during core hrs often. During crunch, the latest i have been here is till 9.30pm... so that is a 13 hr day. not bad for once in a while.. or closing to the end of the project. Anyways.

where i used to work, it was 70 to 80 hrs a week. i am glad that is not the standard, and the place where i worked was just poorly managed, and that the industry is not like that.

when i worked contract for the movie industry, that was only 8 hrs, and i would have to get approval or request to work over time, since that is payed 1 and a half. Good money there.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome post as always EQ, thank you!

No problem.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    At PAX East this year, there was a talk given by Jason Della Rocca called 'Here Be Danger,' in which he echoed some of what EQ just said. A portion of the talk covered the pitfalls of being a newb (or grizzled vet for that matter) in the industry and succumbing to the "culture of the studio."

There's no need for me to list out all that was said, cause EQ basically covered it, but it boiled down to 1) Handle your business, and 2) Don't let management bully you around or co-workers persuade you otherwise.

I follow this logic perfectly, and hope and pray that any studio I may work for has a great culture and work atmosphere, but I can also see where a person who has no industry experience and is trying to prove themselves (me), would have a difficult time refuting that kind of demand. I've talked to several industry guys who said that the way they finally broke in (and stayed in) was just by biting the proverbial bullet and grinding through a couple crappy gigs.

I know it varies so greatly from studio to studio however, so really, I would say when applying to places, just do your research.

Edit: and I just noticed that EQ covered my only real declaration, in a post made while I was typing this up. so yea, preach on, lol.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another take on this;

I've got a couple of friends who work in the industry, one at a AAA studio, and one at an indie studio (well-known, but only made up of a very small team, and only one 'big' game to their name).

The one at the AAA studio seems to be in constant fear of losing his job, people are being cut all around him, but he does seem to work pretty reasonable hours, mostly 9-6 or so, Mon-Fri.

The guy at the indie studio has no immediate risk of losing his job, since the company are riding some tasty profit from their last game, but he works a LOT. This sounds like a joke but they actually have 2 beds set up in the office, and he has been known to work well into the 2/3AM kinda time.

Again, not personal experience but it's another angle.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robat wrote: »
    I know it varies so greatly from studio to studio however, so really, I would say when applying to places, just do your research.

In addition to that, when being interviewed; ask what hours are normal, what hours when crunching, and how often crunch happens

If possible(I say this because its fairly common, if they like you), when going out for dinner/drinks with the team after a good interview, talk to they guys on the team after they've had a few drinks about work hours too. =P Maybe not everyone does this, but we would always take interviewies out for dinner/drinks, as it was a good way to get a sense for how well they would fit into the team. I'm sure larger studios this is unlikely.

Try to get some honest opinion on the working environment being accepting a position, it helps greatly if you know someone there.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Generally 45 and max at 50 on normal weeks. Not because I have too or anything but more because I love what I do and I totally enjoy working :)

Crunch time is always different. I work until I feel I am not being productive anymore. No sense in working more hours if your not being productive. Might as well go home, relax, get some sleep, have a break and come back strong. But 60+hours for crunching sounds about right.

Its probably because I am still young but I have never had a problem with crunch time or wished I wasn't crunching. Then again I have only worked on awesome projects that I totally loved so crunching was fun :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    10-15 Years ago, employees would get $50-100k bonuses on games depending on their contribution. The culture of long hours have stayed, but the bonuses have almost completely disappeared (small pockets in the industry still have them).

Anyways, I am required to work 37.5 hours a week, but usually push 50 during crunches on projects I am not incredibly motivated on (getting the 'micromanagement' treatment on childrents liscence ports, or pitches for rip-off iphone games, etc).

Then on the flipside, I will very easily work 70-80 hours a week on things I am very stoked about, or are given plenty of input on. This is not required, but often done when they want to see the best work I can do.

Repeat post, but something every game development manager should see:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    40-45hrs per week. I'll often show up early just to enjoy the silence, I can get so much done in those early morning hours before people start rolling in, its awesome. I always stick around until its quitting time tho, sometimes I'll work through lunch or stay a little late but it never goes above 50hrs.

Crunch for us is maybe a few 10hr days every 6mo.

I don't think I would want to work at any place that thinks a 60hr work week is the norm.

EDIT and yea that video is awesome.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I work 40 hours a week and I've worked 40 hours a week for the past 7 years at all 3 studios I've worked at. When we're in "crunch" that can go to 60, 65, etc.

BTW, whoever said "if you want it bad enough then JOB > fiancee" has a poor outlook on their quality of life. Jesus.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I work 45 hours a week but I'm away from the house for 55 a week when you count in my commute time.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    adam wrote: »
    BTW, whoever said "if you want it bad enough then JOB > fiancee" has a poor outlook on their quality of life. Jesus.

heh heh..

Actually I remember at Rockstar Games they typically ask YOU this question.

I think their reaction is typically...

"60 hours a week is easy! it's when it gets from your third month at 80-100 hours that it gets really hard".
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    168hours in a week. :P
    Seriously though, 45 -50 tops right now. 60 or more when in crunch/focus weeks.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    By the way I notice people saying they stay longer than normal, I take it the extra hours are unpaid?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    TortillaChips: most definitely.
    sadly even forced overtime is often unpaid or there's some weak compensation scheme going on - at the discretion of management, of course.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way I notice people saying they stay longer than normal, I take it the extra hours are unpaid?
    In the US there is a legal "exemption" loop hole that most companies exploit to avoid paying overtime. For most companies that are well managed with fair schedules its not an issue, however some hell holes do push it to the extreme, but you can ferret out those places in interviews.

The interview is a two way street, remember that. Even if you're really hard up for a job and more than likely to accept even a nightmare offer, you can use the interview to gain insight into the company.
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the US there is a legal "exemption" loop hole that most companies exploit to avoid paying overtime. For most companies that are well managed with fair schedules its not an issue, however some hell holes do push it to the extreme, but you can ferret out those places in interviews.

The interview is a two way street, remember that. Even if you're really hard up for a job and more than likely to accept even a nightmare offer, you can use the interview to gain insight into the company.

How would you go about interviewing them about working conditions. Flat out ask them how many hours is normal, how many hours during crunch, how often is crunch and for them to be honest about it if it is indeed a hell hole?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More or less, also "how long does an artist spend on X type asset", "how long does it take to complete a level of the game" etc. Without experience these numbers may not mean a lot to you but if they say 2 days for a task you think should take 3 weeks, something is probably fishy.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like i'll be single the rest of my life then :/ lol
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
  • maze
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Really depends. It's varied quite a bit for me.

At Relic I'm working 40 hours non-crunch and generally 50-65 crunch.

At previous places it was a bit more (45-60 non-crunch, 65-80+ crunch).

It also depends on the project and such of course.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    As freelancer, i tend to work more than 45 hours per week when i have work. With some projects the thing is so insane, that i have needed to work more than 18 hours/day without getting up except for some food, and all due to quality levels and deadlines.

This is one of the bad things of working as freelance, they commonly want the work done in 1/2 of the time a normal worker spent in a studio. When i was younger i accepted all the works, but now all what i do must be in a basis of 8 hours per day, and not working in the weekends. The body passes bills, and very huge bills man.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JacqueChoi> Nice vid!

Whether it's personal or professional work, I find 8 hours a day is a healthy average to shoot for.

That said, I recently went from standard studio jobs to my first freelancer gig and I've found there's a world of difference between "8 hours work" and "being at work for 8 hours".
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    generally 40 hours here at Virtuos in Shanghai. Although I often tinker around at home if a certain subject or problem really interests me (it's like solving a puzzle - can't get any sleep before it's solved) ;) Some of the local Chinese modelers and animators do crunch though, but they also often leave around the same time I leave too.

Back at Funcom in Norway it was the same - usually 40 hours a week. We had 2 big projects - the other project had a lot of crunch tho...different management there.

Here and there I had to stay an entire evening to get things done, but that was not the norm.

I try to keep myself out of crunch situations because I know my creativity and problem solving capabilities rapidy decline. I rather have a good night sleep and recharge the batteries. Why spend 3 hours fiddling around at late night when you can solve an issue in 1 hour when your head is clear? (granted, that may not work for all disciplines ;) )
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    It can vary, depending upon the studio, the management, the state of the project, how close you are to reaching a milestone, whether or not you personally put in extra time to fit a feature in, or if you've fallen behind in your tasks. Should you expect to put in 50-60 hour weeks from time to time? Sure. Should you willingly accept this as your life 24/7? Absolutely not.

There is a stark difference between being passionate about your project enough to put extra time in if needed/wanted, and being forced to work insane hours because of poor time management/decisions.

That being said, I typically put in 40-45 hours non-crunch and whatever is needed, during crunch. I have been forced to work 2 months straight, 7 days a week, at past jobs. This is quite obviously rare and most certainly in dire situations.

• PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    First company was 40 hr weeks with no crunch and a good amount of goofing around. I worked there for about 2 years. Current company I've been working at for 9 months, 40 hour weeks, but a lot more serious, just started a crunch of 10 hr days. In Texas you get half time overtime for certain job designations, including salary, so its something, but still not real overtime pay.

I don't know where you pulled standard 60 hour weeks, but since you haven't been in the industry I assume you just heard a scary number somewhere and repeated it. That is not anywhere close to standard.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    same here Blaizer - sometimes I have worked non stop around the clock and then grab sleep where I can, maybe 3 or 4 hours. It's kind of worth it financially, but it takes its toll physically.
    Obviously I don't do this all the time,I tend to try and work 8 hours days where possible.
    I rarely work weekends these days, but projects with really tight deadlines I have to work non stop until finished.
  • Ennolangus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I had a studio job it was 40-50 normal 60 crunch, crunch only lasted few weeks after which those who participated voluntarily got a week of paid vacation in exchange.

When I did freelance it varied from no work to over 112 hours a week. I once went 72 hours with only one hour of sleep to get a job done... That wasn't fun, but I guess in hindsight it's kind of cool to know how far you can go if you really have to. It also taught me the hard way how things shouldn't be done.

Having experienced that I think more hours definitely does not increase productivity, but being well rested, better planning, workflows, and tools does.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Monday - friday, 9 - 5... 40 hours a week. no joke
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Mon-Thu 9-5.30 Fri 9-4.30

Zero crunk time :P (so far..)
  • Thor Sowards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still in school but I put 40+ hours of work in a week for my school work
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    usually if we work for more than 12 hours we will start to do mistakes that we
    need to fix it a day later.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    40-45 hrs a week. I might come in on the weekend for 4-6 hrs during crunch, but that's it man. Luckily the art teams I've been in have been well managed, so we didn't really experience any crunches.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    40 a week at my normal job but I am trying to get my studio off the ground too so I put in about 15-20 a week on that as well. I have a fianc
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Mon-Thu 9-5.30 Fri 9-4.30

~ Snap.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    lol...crunk time? Watch out for that crunk time mind. Its a bitch.

Early finish fridays. So good. :)
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    You don't have time for this?
    786px-Krunk.jpg
    For shame, sir. For shame!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    40h/week and it's more than enough !
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    What I'm seeing in this thread so far sounds pretty realistic to me. 45 hours average per week, and all the way from 60 to 80 when crunching.

Yes, it depends on the studio, and it also depends on YOU!
    It really does, like, if you are given X time to finish Y, you can do it in the time you are given and be done with it, you can also decide to excel on what your are doing, and put in the extra time to really make it good! I end up doing this alot myself, to the point where the line between whether or not I'm a perfectionist or just slow starts to blur.

So far in my career, most crunch was "self imposed" crunch, where I realized that if I simply put in the 40 hours, it just wouldn't be enough to meet my standards and the project standards.
    There's always those times where management will ask you to come on weekends, and on critical months you might not know what a weekend is like, for a few weeks, but after shipping the project you always have a few months of more laid off time.
    (The weeks before a E3 demo are also very very stressful.)

So, I still manage to have a good life and life happy with my fiancee, I try not to damage my career and not to damage my relationship either with too much hours invested in the office. It's all about balance, but sooner or later you will need to put in your 60~70 hours a week on stressful and key times during development or right before a very important milestone.

I understand EQ point that you shouldn't crunch just because everyone is doing it, but I don't entirely agree with it. Live by the sword, die by the sword. If you stand beside your team during good and bad times, in the end it will pay off, management will notice your efforts and in the end you will be rewarded. (Project bonus, GDC trips, promotion, raises, etc)