Home Technical Talk

RTTassist - 3dsmax toolset for RTT automation.

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
About:
hline.gif

RTTassist is a free MaxScript toolset shaped in a beautiful interface that automates the tedious process of texture baking.
It has a wide range of features, but most especially it is designed to give you better user experience!
Take a look at some of its main features (to see them in action check the site or the youtube channel):

* Explode all objects using an unique vector so there are no overlapping objects and there is enough space between them.
* Produce the best quality, normal, Ambient Occlusion and other map types.
* Render using "Smart" , an algorithm that saves rendering time by processing less important objects more quickly.
* Render using the "Isolation" method.
* Batch render multiple files at once.
* Combine all rendered maps together in a single resulting map.
* Create a custom render presets for every need.
* Easy to use interface and "click-of-a-button" workflow.
* LiveLog - Instant visual feedback at every step.

Download RTTassist 1.6 max2008+ by clicking >here<

Download RTTassist 1.4 max9 version by clicking >here<

Links:
Official site: http://vertexbee.com/rttassist.htm
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RTTassist?feature=mexp
Vimeo channel: http://vimeo.com/album/1536297

Roadmap/wishlist:
* Max9 version. checkbox.gif
* Vray support.
* Auto check for updates feature.checkbox.gif
* Preview the end result using real-time shaders.
* Rapid preview tool - still in concept phase.

hline_top.gif
Any comments and ideas are appreciated and may affect the roadmap of RTTassist, of course, donations are welcome too donatebtn.gif
Тhey will not only buy us a hot cup of coffee, but will also help the future development and maintenance of RTTassist. Thanks! hline_bottom.gif

Screenshots:
Screen01.png

Screen02.png

Replies

• aydinuluc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that looks very helpfull and I will give it a try:)

Thanks
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    This seems to be sick!
    When i´m finished with my high and lowpoly i will definately test this out!
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great, thx for making this available.

Well thought out with the feature set and presented very well.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks incredible! I really needed something like this, thanks so much for putting this together.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    damn, i sure need to give this a try...
    now... i am going to make a highpoly and lowpoly and then try this out :)
    see u in a few weeks!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Slick UI man, nice work. I'll definitely give this a shot.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    This totatly made my day :D

Definitely giving this a try asap, that rifle looks sweet btw, did go straight to my insperation folder :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After looking at the demonstration videos i have one thing to say:
    I just came!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    looks great , gonna give it a try later
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I don't use 3ds much, but this is nice work. Thanks for sharing it !
  • omid3098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omid3098 polycounter lvl 13
    gonna try it asap ;)
    thank you very much!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Looks interesting, not working for me at the moment though :
    When I check a map type in Map Settings, Select Maps, I don't get any extra info in the Select Maps Unique Settings box, and whatever I do I always get the "Please chose desired map types first!" error when trying to save the preset.
    (Running 3dsmax 2009, 32bit, windows xp.)
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I try to render the maps, and it keeps telling me to apply a projection modifier or use another renderer or something. Tried applying projection, switching to MR, and nothing works. Im using win 7 64bit with Max 2011 64bit
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, guys, 10x for the kind words :)
    We've put quite an effort to make the UI look slick, but also to have better usability. Many of the buttons use different shortcuts to alternate the behavior of the functions.In fact the shortcuts are so many that you definitely have to look the help documentation from time to time to get used to them. Speaking about the help file, we've tried to make it full and enough explanatory so you can start using RTTassist right away. Here is a little tip:

TIP01: Using the help documentation

If you do not know what a specific option does, you can click on it using Ctrl+Alt+Shift.This will open the help file at the right page:
    HelpShortcut.gif

If you click on the "click here for more info" bar located under the red error messages, you will get a description on how to resolve the problems which cause their appearance:
    HelpLiveLog.gif
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal wrote: »
    Looks interesting, not working for me at the moment though :
    When I check a map type in Map Settings, Select Maps, I don't get any extra info in the Select Maps Unique Settings box, and whatever I do I always get the "Please chose desired map types first!" error when trying to save the preset.
    (Running 3dsmax 2009, 32bit, windows xp.)

Bal, clicking on the checkboxes will active the maps, to view the settings of the selected map types you need to click on their names in the "Select Maps" group.If that's not the case, write back and we will try to resolve the problem.
    bug01_Bal_mapLabels.gif
    MattLichy wrote: »
    I try to render the maps, and it keeps telling me to apply a projection modifier or use another renderer or something. Tried applying projection, switching to MR, and nothing works. Im using win 7 64bit with Max 2011 64bit

Matt,The "Render" button has several modes and is directly related to whether the projection modifiers in the scene are placed manually without the help of RTTassist or they are applied by using the "Project" button.That is the reason why you get the "..or use another render mode.. " LiveLog message.Try using the Render button by clicking with RMB, or select the low-poly objects first and than click the Render button using MMB.
    If you want to learn more about the modes of the Render button, open the help file and go to "Rendering with RTTassist" > "The Render Button" page. The easies way to do this is by clicking the render button with Ctrl + Alt + Shift, this will send you to the correct help page instantly.You can use this key combination on almost all of the buttons to get a quick access to their help information.

Hope that will help :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    While I appreciate the great work here I keep wondering why the scripts are encrypted? Are there any future commercial intentions? Also the site itself doesn't mention free on this first post does - what is the roadmap with this tool? I am asking or question this because the way the site, ui, documentation,... was made up - and the encrypted max scripts ;)
    Would like to look otherwise in some functions or methods and compare it :)
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    While I appreciate the great work here I keep wondering why the scripts are encrypted? Are there any future commercial intentions? Also the site itself doesn't mention free on this first post does - what is the roadmap with this tool? I am asking or question this because the way the site, ui, documentation,... was made up - and the encrypted max scripts ;)
    Would like to look otherwise in some functions or methods and compare it :)

Renderhjs, I'm really glad you appreciate it :) Kostadin (aka "miauu" , the coder behind RTTassist) and I, are textools users since the first version, and it is true to say that your awesome toolset was quite an inspiration for us and was one of the reasons to try polishing the UI, and make the presentation look good. We, do not have any intentions to make the script commercial in the future (the missed word in the site is fixed, 10x for pointing it out),it will stay free and when we can we will devote our free time for developing it; however at this point the source would not be available, but if there are any questions we'll be more than happy to answer you.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome UI work, gonna try this out soon..

I am however a bit curious about the explode function, will it explode the high and lowpoly alike?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Otherwise it would make no sense right :P
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    bbob, explosion function will explode every low poly objects and its coresponding high poly buddy(or buddys) if they are with correct prfix labels. For examle:
    LP_Body, HP_Body, HP_Body_door - this is first group
    LP_Leg, HP_Leg - this is second group
    LP_Base, HP_Base, HP_Base_Top,HP_Base_Front - this is third group
    If your prefix labels are "LP_", "HP_" and special separation sign is "_", when you press the Explode button all objects will explode, and high poly objects will stay with their low poly buddys.
    Test it with a simple scene :)

Sorry for my english. :)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh thats pretty darn neat..
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    this is amazing when it works how i think :) will try it out!
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    The group functions is weird, or I didn't understood it correctly.
    I set up the following groups:

LP_receiver
    HP_receiver
    HP_receiver_screw1
    HP_receiver_screw2
    and some more screws..

Then I wanted to explode it, but didn't work well. Max crashed some times or he did nothing.
    I used then the "names" button, selected my highpoly things and clicked on
    the related lowpoly. He renamed then all my HP meshes to HP_receiver.
    Now I can explode my mesh, but he lost some screws on his way out.

Only if I select all my LP&HP stuff I want to group, and press "build pair" it works fine.

What I do wrong?
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM, if the names of the objects you've mentioned are like this from the begining , there shouldn't be any problems. I'm not sure if you are referencing "group" as an actual 3dsmax "group". To avoid abnormal behavior the "Explode" function won't move objects that are grouped together using the 3dsmax "group" function.If that is what you've tried to use, it is not necessary. You only need to name your objects correctly and hit the explode button.

The fact that the "BuildPair" button fix the problem, makes me think that the problem the first time you try to explode your objects is only because there was a misswriten object name."BuildPair" only renames objects nothing more (actually its more complex than that, it is trying to figure out which object is low-poly, which is high, but that is not important now).

As for the "Names" dialog, be aware that the right column can list more possible mistakes than there are in fact. When you use it, don't do the double click operation for every high-poly object that is listed there.Your only concern is to link the main high-poly with the main low-poly object (in your case "HP_receiver" to "LP_receiver") and check if the secondary high-poly object ("HP_receiver_screw1" , etc) share the same high-poly base name witch is "HP_receiver" , then fallowed by the special separation sign ,followed by an unique name. I know it is a bit confusing first , but when you get a hang of it it is quite easy. The funny thing is , when you get used to name your objects correctly as you are creating them, you won't even need to use the names dialog...

Hope that helps.If not, write back here and please send me a screenshot of your scene.
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you use dotnet for making the UI or WPF ?
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    CodeFather
    No, there are not grouped(in max).Actually I only renamed it with HP and LP tags and '_'.

I did it again a second time few minutes ago, and now it works perfectly. I could swear I renamed it
    the same way as before,but maybe a mistake on my side.

But anyway problem solved. Thanks for your help!

Awesome tool you guys made here!
  • khatake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing and works like charm for me. Love things like that... and its free... too good to be true. THANKS !!!
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    very nice tool! I made it a button on my top toolbar but doesn't seem to have an icon made for it.
    Is this currently planned or is there another way I should go about opening it when i close it each time?
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    72185490.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If the icon is not there restart max and try again :)
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    Doh, rookie mistake on my part! Thanks!
  • jamoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rttassist.jpg

Great tool! Thanks!
    (3dsmax 2011, 64bit, win xp.)
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    explooosioonnnz everywhere. gonna try this soon
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    Nysuatro:
    Did you use dotnet for making the UI or WPF ?

dotnet controls: label, textbox, listview
    maxscrip controlst: checkbox, imgtag
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    Bryan Cavett, and some other guys asked me how I made a UI of RTTAssist. So I decided to make this short tutorial. :)
    First I want to say that the author of the UI is Sergey Punchev(
    http://getmyui.com/).
    Seccond - sorry for my bad english. :)
    As shown in image below, almost all maxscript controls(buttons, spinners, text fields...) are rectangular.
    maxscriptrolloutcontrol.pngmaxscriptrolloutcontrol.png

But with a little more imagination this restriction can be overcome.
    Steb by step of haw to make a UI like RTTAssist:
    1 - draw your UI.
    ui1y.png
    The important part: make shure that the background color that you use will be the same as the background color of the rollout that you will create with maxscript( the rounded corners of the buttons have the same color as the rollout).
    roundcorner.png
    2 - cut the buttons.
    3 - go to maxscript editor and start building the rollout.
    For every button of RTTAssist I useed imgtag controls.
    from maxscript reference:
    The ImgTag UI Control can be used to place images in MAXScript Rollouts. Other than the Bitmap UI Control, it does not have a sunken edge and can be integrated better in the layout. In addition, it supports transparency effects and various mouse handlers which could be used to design customized controls.
    See maxscript reference for all mouse handlers( 16 events:
    mousedown mouseup click dblclick mouseover mouseout rightclick lbuttondown lbuttonup lbuttondblclk mbuttondown mbuttonup mbuttondblclk
    rbuttondown rbuttonup rbuttondblclk).
    When you writing the code put dotnet label and textbox on top of the background images.

dnoverit.png

That's all. :)

Note that using too many and large images for your controls will eat all MAXScript heap memmory.

Download code and image files from here:
    rapidshare
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for taking the time and writing that tutorial Miauu. It is all very clear to me now :)
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    Another question from Bryan:
    How do you make it borderless yet still movable?
    The answer:
    (
        rollout rol_test "test"
        (
            local mouseLBD = false
            local roPos = [0,0]

button btn_close "Close"

on rol_test lbuttonup pos do
            (
                mouseLBD = false 
            )

on rol_test lbuttondown pos do
            (
                mouseLBD = true
                roPos = pos
            )

on rol_test mousemove pos do
            (
                if mouseLBD do
                    SetDialogPos rol_test  (mouse.screenpos - roPos)
            )

on btn_close pressed do
            (
                destroydialog rol_test
            )
        )
        createdialog rol_test width:50 height:100  style:#()
    )

:)
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks alot for sharing those tips/code :D
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a video showing a comparison between the standard way of applying projection modifiers within 3dsmax and the way RTTassist has to offer:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzql3-9MAYc[/ame]

Also guys, make sure to check the first post again, it now includes a roadmap/wishlist so you can know what to expect from this tool in the future :)

Martin
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Now that comparison is a tiiiiny bit biased since you really don´t need to pick every single object by hand the standard max way. (Working directly from the rtt menu would also speed things up.) Not to take a piss at your effort, I think it´s a really great and helpful tool and like everyone I really appreciate it and will certainly give it a try.
    And offering something like this for free is of course even more amazing.
    So thx a lot! :)
    But since it actually seems very helpful and has something to offer you aren´t doing yourself a favour with that kind of overplayed comparison, if you catch my drift.
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    khatake, NBLM - 10x guys, glad you like it! :)
    jamoka wrote: »
    Great tool! Thanks!
    (3dsmax 2011, 64bit, win xp.)
    Jamoka, I'm very happy to see that you've already test it out and it is put in real use ! :)
    Noren wrote: »
    ...Now that comparison is a tiiiiny bit biased since you really don´t need to pick every single object by hand the standard max way. (Working directly from the rtt menu would also speed things up.)....
    But since it actually seems very helpful and has something to offer you aren´t doing yourself a favour with that kind of overplayed comparison, if you catch my drift.

Noren,if you watch the video again, around 0:19 right after the left side of the video blurs out, you can still recognise that I'm using the "Pick List" dialog to select the objects. You're right that this way is faster, but still it requires a lot more clicks than the "Project" button do. Anyway, the point of the video was just to focus some attention to this particular feature ,because I wasn't sure that people saw it in action (the "Add Projection" video on youtube has less visits than the other videos), there were no intentions to make it look biased or overplayed, but you have a point, thanks !
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having a bit of an issue with the plugin. Suppose I have 4-5 objects in the same scene that I want baked, and suppose that I want to bake them one by one so I can control the map sizes and some other parameters.

Whenever I try to hit the render button, it tries to render everything and prompts to overwrite old maps. If I use the Selected or the Hidden buttons to limit the objects that are going to be processed, it generally doesn't have any effect.

Is there some technique you should use to "disable" objects from being projected?
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    Arcanox, you can bake only selected objects by pressing the "Render" button with MMB. Just select first low-poly objects and press "Render" with MMB. If this low-poly object have a projection modifier in it stack it will be bakaed.
    You can check the Help file -
    you can click on "Render" button using Ctrl+Alt+Shift.This will open the help file at the right page.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a little bit of funny stuff with the way the script handles exclusions. I was using the Build Pair function before and that's generally where I got the issue. I removed all the modifiers, renamed all my objects manually, closed Max and started with the script from scratch.

Seems to be working now though.
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RTTassist v1.1
    hline.gif

RTTassist version 1.1 is available! It now supports 3dsmax version 9 and we've added a few new things like automatic check for updates and more.The links in the first post are updated so you can download it from there. Here is a list of the additions:

* 3dsmax 9 is now supported.
    * Automatic and manual check for updates.
    * New "Projection List" dialog showing the Reference Geometry list of all Low-Poly objects in one place.
    * Progress bar now show the progress of UV area calculations when using "Smart".
    * "Show preview" checkbox added in the "Combine Maps" dialog.

Check for updates
    For manual check go to help > check for update. For automatic check turn on the "auto check for updates" option located in the settings drop down menu.
    CheckForUpdateTip.gif

Projection list
    To open the "Projection List" dialog click on the Projection button using MMB.
    ProjectionListTip.gif

Show preview(Combine Maps dialog)
    The preview window is available when "Use Selected" is turned on.
    ShowPreviewTip.gif
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    I cannot seem to uninstall or reinstall rtt assist. When trying to update it tells me there is an installation error and doesn't seem to update. However, now I cannot see any visuals for the interface. I can't seem to fully uninstall it either to get a fresh install of the plugin or to downgrade back to a previous version. So now I've lost the ability to use this plugin :S
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    @danjohncox, to remove all traces from RTTAssist you have to delete these folders/files:
    (I use Win XP and 3ds max 2009)

Go to
    C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2009 - 32bit\enu\scripts

and delete "RTTAssistUI" folder.

Go to
    C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2009 - 32bit\enu\UI\usermacros

and delete "RTTAssist-RTTAssist.mcr" file.

Go to
    maxroot\scripts

and delete "RTTAssist" folder

Go to
    maxroot\ui\macroscripts

and delete "Macro_RTTAssist.mcr" file

Then install fresh copy of RTTAssist.

:)
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    been using this one for a few weeks now and i really love it
    an enormous time saver so tnx for the awesome script
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    I'm glad that someone find our script useful. :)
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for sharing with the community!
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    renderhjs wrote: »
    While I appreciate the great work here I keep wondering why the scripts are encrypted?

I'm not sure if this is why I'm having the issue that I am...but I can't install RTT like I can textools. I'm not an administrator on this machine and I think that has something to do with it. I notice textools makes a point of saying "you don't have to be an administrator.

Attached is what I am seeing. On my home machine this installs fine.