Old (#1)
I came across this thread on the Wacom forums, tried to wrap my head around what they were discussing, and tried it out for myself. In a nutshell, my Photoshop now feels like the sketching brushes in SAI and Sketchbook Pro.

Apparently, getting under the hood to manually fine tuning your Wacom tip feel isn't a new trick, but still not a lot of people know about it. Anyhow I sketched out my notes, and thought I'd post them here for feedback and also to spread the word about this trick.

*In Windows, you can do everything discussed here through a little frontend app, downloadable here.

-

Related links:
Junkyard Sam - Manually Adjust of Pen Sensitivity
Conceptart.org discussion thread

Last edited by Snowfly; 09-25-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,888 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Singapore Send a message via MSN to Snowfly Send a message via Skype™ to Snowfly  

Old (#2)
Looks interresting. I have to try this out!
Casper Thomsen - www.3d-artist.dk
Offline , polygon, 588 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Denmark  

Old (#3)
thx. this was now so easy that I eventually did the changes ;)
cheers!!
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,239 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location munich, germany  

Old (#4)
Let me know if anything's unclear or needs more explaining!

Slides 5 and 6 have been updated, previously I got the numbers reversed. So if you followed any of the recipes...might wanna go back in there and tweak them again. The control point values are basically organized into 3 pairs, which say "Press this hard to get this pressure."

Also I confused RSI for RSS, doh!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,888 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Singapore Send a message via MSN to Snowfly Send a message via Skype™ to Snowfly  

Old (#5)
Isn't this the same effect as turning down the click threshold in the Wacom control panel?
Tipping cows in fields Elysian.

Portfolio: www.jackablade.com
Offline , Counter of Polys™, 6,348 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#6)
It probably is, though I sure don't have that option in my tablet settings (Intuos3/Bamboo) Which Wacom are you using? (nevermind, I see click threshold on the Intuos3. In which case, fail)

Last edited by Snowfly; 09-25-2010 at 05:24 AM..

Old (#7)
no, I think the click threshold affects the left side of the graph, not the right side as per the drawings
www.redprodukt.com
Rich Make Game! twitter: @RichMakeGame
"You can't edit nothing"
Offline , Counter of Polys™, 6,486 Posts, Join Date Dec 2004, Location Newcastle, uk  

Old (#8)
Awesome!
I'll definitely pimp this shit on my Intuos 4, cos my low pressure threshold is whack at the moment. If i press really softly and release. It still thinks I have the pen down until I move the pen far enough away from the tablet surface. Annoys the shit out of me when sculpting.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,895 Posts, Join Date Feb 2005, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#9)
Tried this, but didn't like it. Probably because I use the spring nib, it made everything too sensitive.
Offline , polycounter, 1,043 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location AB, Canada  

Old (#10)
This is great, I messed with that curve editor in the past but I didn't really understand what I was doing, thanks for explaining things.
Offline , I love typing, 8,279 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#11)
Works perfect for me, thanks snowfly.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,320 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location UK  

Old (#12)
Looks interesting but I haven't had any problems with pressure on my Intuos 4. I don't use it that much though so maybe I just haven't noticed it yet. If I do start seeing issues I'll definitely use this fix. Thanks!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,676 Posts, Join Date Aug 2008, Location San Francisco, California  

Old (#13)
Cool, glad folks are finding it useful though the presentation's all over the place. Junkyard Sam's writeup is still the best guide to this.

Wacom actually addressed the issue of too large a dead zone with the Intuos4, but still they won't bring back a full blown pressure curve editor, so you still have to press very hard to get maximum pressure. You'll probably get the most of this tweak if you draw with a light touch like I do.

Old (#14)
Too bad my tablet doesn't work every time I restart my computer... I have to remove preferences every time I plug it in.. Otherwise I'd try this. =(
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,184 Posts, Join Date Jun 2009, Location San Diego, CA Send a message via AIM to ErichWK  

Old (#15)
Ahah, nice you wrote this in plain English Snowfly, because I was digging a time to translate a similar (less math) article I wrote about this same issue. Perfect timing.

Mostly of the peoples really don't see the changes. I think this hack is really noticeable for when you need to inking in the computer, paint soft gradients, or have a nice and polished Cintiq to play.

Avoid RSI problems is a great reason to people at least try this changes. Another thing that I warned in my article is to use this trick to make their nibs last longer and keep the tablet surface smooth. You can have any tablet size, but due we "pan the image, in your software, to the center of the screen" when painting, sculpting, etc., that area in the tablet became very scratchy quickly - and have a little imperfection in that area is very frustrating.

Last but not least, if you guys have a very scratchy tablet already, I recommend to put a "LCD screen protector" over it.It's a sheet of plastic with a gently glue to stick. During the first days looks like you're drawing on the Nintendo DS screen, but then it became less smooth and more "sandy". I'm using mine for almost a month. Believe me, that's the better and cheap solution I've tested.

So. Let's draw! : )
Dado Almeida - Illustrator & Concept Artist
Portifolio | Blog
Offline , polycounter, 962 Posts, Join Date Apr 2005, Location Minas Gerais - Brasil  

Old (#16)
looks nice. is there any way to fix the pen tilt as well? its been broken for ages, in that it works the opposite way it should (tilting causes strokes to become thinner instead of thicker)
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,768 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Norway  

Old (#17)
do you use standart windows notepad for editing that dat file? when i change anything in it, i have error- can't find driver
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,733 Posts, Join Date Feb 2006,  

Old (#18)
Hey Conte I'm using the default Notepad to edit the file, saving it in ANSI mode.

One thing I've noticed today: if you mess with the .dat file using an undefined value (like 2048 when your tablet support only 1024 levels of pressure, or change the Threshold value), the Tablet service wouldn't start automatically. You'll need to do it through Task Manager or Windows Services panel.

So, to test how the thing works, I suggest use the frontend app. instead, because it never screw up in my RIG.
Dado Almeida - Illustrator & Concept Artist
Portifolio | Blog
Offline , polycounter, 962 Posts, Join Date Apr 2005, Location Minas Gerais - Brasil  

Old (#19)
oh hey Dado, you're right, saving in ANSI helped, thanks a bunch!
and Chris, thanks for sharing all this info and images!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,733 Posts, Join Date Feb 2006,  

Old (#20)
Dado - thanks for the addons! It's a running joke that Wacom intentionally sets the pressure curve so high to make a little extra lunch money from selling spare nibs. and that's a good point...i've got to get a screen protector for my tablet. those things come in a matte finish also so that might be a good alternative.

Dejawolf - in which software have you come across this problem though? is it a photoshop thing? i personally don't use tilt much, but with Painter, the brushes that do support tilt work as expected. i'll poke around and see if i can find any tilt settings in there though.

Conte - glad you got that sorted out and yeah the frontend is less of a headache than the method i wrote about. reason i do it manually is because i'm on a mac so no such app exists.

Old (#21)
wow, i cant WAIT to try this out in the morning. bookmarked! thanks so much for that.
Offline , line, 96 Posts, Join Date Jun 2009,  

Old (#22)
ooh, will definitely try this out.

thanks for doing all the work

I was Sectaurs
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,906 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location San Francisco, CA Send a message via AIM to Wells  

Old (#23)
i adjusted my wacomtablet.dat file, restarted my pc now my tablet wont turn on? the services say its running, if i try and go to tablet properties it says "talbet driver not found" i dont know WHAT just happened. man i hate wacom drivers so gd much.

Old (#24)
This is great, I saw this listed elsewhere but it wasn't explained very clearly. I've never had a lot of trouble with the Wacom default settings, but I did notice and sometimes get frustrated having to push so hard for those heavier marks.

I'm trying this out, thanks for posting.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,375 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008,  

Old (#25)
I called wacom, got my tablet working again. my problem with doing this curve stuff Snowfly, if i check my .dat file after i've saved it always says this

UpperPressureThreshold 5
LowerPressureThreshold 65525
PressureCurveControlPoint 20 0 819 1024 1638 2047

Low pressure should be 1 right? i dont get why it keeps changing
using intuos 4 btw