Home Technical Talk

Where are the wacom tablet pressure curves?

AtticusMars
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
AtticusMars greentooth
I just got an Intuos Pen and Touch (CTH-680) and the pressure curves are nowhere to be found in the settings like was on my old Intuos 3. I tried running the Tablet Pressure Curve Tool and although it seems to apply fine, my tablet basically stops working while its applied.

How can I edit the pressure curves?

Replies

• DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    807MuWl.gif
    Make sure you are using the latest driver. Also not sure if this will help but try setting your tablet to recognition mode. This will cause your tablet to send much more data(it may also fix a lot of other issues such as low quality strokes and jaggy sensitivity)
    tM7IeJl.gif
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    My settings panel looks nothing like that unfortunately, all I get is this crap:

wacombullshit.jpg

My control panel and driver version are 6.3.9w3 which is supposedly the latest. When I was using my Intuos 3 my config panel looked like yours and I was able to edit the curves, it wasn't until I installed the Pen and Touch CTH-680 that it went to this nonsense.

I hope I am just blind and can't find the setting, because I'm starting to think that Wacom intentionally crippled the config panel for the Pen and Touch series in order to make the Pro look better.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wait what there are pressure curves!?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    lotet wrote: »
    wait what there are pressure curves!?
    Yes. The curve essentially decides the level of output of however hard you're pressing at any given time so you can adjust it so that you have to press harder/lighter to reach a particular level of opacity (or whatever)

Unless you're a caveman who is used to carving shit out on stone tablets, there's no way to comfortably use the top 20% of levels on your tablet. Unfortunately Wacom insists on using the entire range, so all of the presets are awful...

As a result the best way to get to feel you want from your tablet is to edit the curve.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Not sure if anyone cares but I got a response from Wacom support stating that the curve editing interface is only available on the Pro series tablets and that if I wanted that feature, I should buy a new tablet...... yeah ok.

I can tell you for a fact that curve editing works on my tablet, there is just no interface for it. I know this because when no one responded to my thread last night I gave up and edited the .dat file manually. So this is an entirely artificial limtiation by Wacom.

For anyone who has a non-pro tablet and wants to edit the curves manually you can see how to do it here. Hopefully the guy who developed the Pressure Curve Tool will continue development on it, although it doesn't look likely.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    They locked the feature entirely by software but you are able to do it anyways from editing the .dat file?
    That's crazy, but something I should for sure keep in mind and tell others who have cheaper tablets...
    That's really crap of wacom.
    A new tablet curve editor tool wouldn't be too hard to make though if it's just reading the xml and messing with those six integers.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Well that figures, 'differentiating' the products I guess they call it.
    Creating a tool for that really shouldn't be hard.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I hope this means you guys are volunteering cause I'm no programmer :U I agree though, the tool just seems to provide a visual UI and a means of automatically stopping/starting the service to make changes. Infact I just used the Pressure Curve Tool to visualize the curve then wrote down the values.

The XML was a bit obtuse, there were four locations with the pen tip pressure curve and I couldn't figure out what the difference between them was, there weren't enough entries for them to be separate presets and there were too many for them to be application specific profiles. So I just changed all of them and it worked.

In retrospect I probably should have taken the time to look more closely at them (since some were different from eachother) to figure out what they were doing. Might reinstall later to do that

Edit: Update
    Okay so I figured out why my .dat file was so convoluted, it turns out that because the Curve Editor Tool is broken, whenever I ran it to try to change my settings it would append a shit load of additional XML code rather than replacing what was there so essentially I just had lots of duplicates.

Basically don't run the Curve Editor Tool (until the author fixes it), because it'll make a total mess of your .dat file (and won't work anyway...)

After reinstalling the driver there is only 1 pressure curve per application specific setting, which makes a lot more sense.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Yes. The curve essentially decides the level of output of however hard you're pressing at any given time so you can adjust it so that you have to press harder/lighter to reach a particular level of opacity (or whatever)

Unless you're a caveman who is used to carving shit out on stone tablets, there's no way to comfortably use the top 20% of levels on your tablet. Unfortunately Wacom insists on using the entire range, so all of the presets are awful...

As a result the best way to get to feel you want from your tablet is to edit the curve.

yeah, that makes a lot of sense xD lol, ive been using the standard settings for more then 10 year now haha xD

thanks for the info, gotta try this out :)