Class: Scout

Check List:

*Pick Class -done
*Pick Theme - done
*Item Ideas - done
*Sketches of items - done
*Get modeling program - done
*Model:
-Primary Weapon: Fathers Fighter (scout's and his dad's guns combined)

-Secondary Weapon: Peacemaker (taco)

-Melee Weapon: Mad Dog
(old wiffle bat)
-Hat: working on

-Misc. : Stuffing Stuffer (his teddy bear)
*Back Story Weapons - mostly done
*Storyline - mostly done

The scout has plenty to work with while having some interesting choices.
I decided to go with a childhood theme. As for being the youngest character of the mercenaries and the youngest brother of the eight boys his extremely busy mother had (Are they all from the same dad?), the scout must have had a very interesting childhood being the runt.

Primary:

Secondary: Taco (a replacement either cola)
-Having 10 mouths to feed, the scouts mom really needed to know how to cook. The one meal they actually fought over was her famous Homemade Boston style Tacos. If scout wanted just one of these tasty morsels, he needed his speed and wits, but mostly speed.
Unnecessary Info:
Name: Peacemaker
Type: Secondary
Level 10 Lunchbox
-=Can either be so spicy you run fast (bonk-a-cola) or so good it packs a punch (crit-a-cola)=-
This weapon is a reference to the Jarate comic. The name can bring peace to a fight either violent or non and i brought the scouts family together, sort of. But so far in the food section of TF2 we have beer, sandwiches, chocolate, and 2 sodas. IT NEEDS A TACO.

Melee Weapon: Wiffle Ball and Bat (replace sandman)
Unnecessary Info:
Name: Mad Dog
Type: Melee
Level 1 Bat
+ Increase in Speed when wielded
+ Ball Flies Faster
- Weakest Bat
- Stun effect doesn't last as long
This weapon is the lightest bat (plastic < wood < metal) allowing you to maneuver easier, yet at the same time a plastic bat would sting, but a metal bat could break a leg. Also since the ball is lighter (i dont play baseball so dont hold me to this) and still aerodynamic i can fly father but wont hurt as much.

Positive Feedback plz

Replies

• M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any suggests, feedback, info...
  • christermime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    Is there anything you could do to give the baseball cap more personality? Scout already has a lot of baseball-oriented items (which isn't a bad thing) but maybe you could push the cap in particular more towards childhood. (maybe make it tiny and sit atop his head? maybe not, haha)

I like the idea of childhood as a theme though.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Seems unimaginative?

All sorts of things can find some level of inclusion in TF2, it's a pretty crazy game with a big humorous element. But the weapons generally have some sort of tie in with a purpose, a reason the wiffle ball bat would be used for example.

What's more, none of these bring a strong new element to it.

As for your other questions, there's several 3D programs out there like Maya and Blender to choose from easily found on google, but I'm going to be honest you're looking at trying to get a very strong concept hammered out, backed up with superior art and good working models, and you're going to have some very stiff competition from individuals who are quite excellent at this.

Just saying.
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there anything you could do to give the baseball cap more personality? Scout already has a lot of baseball-oriented items (which isn't a bad thing) but maybe you could push the cap in particular more towards childhood. (maybe make it tiny and sit atop his head? maybe not, haha)

I like the idea of childhood as a theme though.

Yeah i was thinking of the hat to look old , smaller and wore. While the bat (rhyming powers) looks old and a little beat up.
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems unimaginative?

All sorts of things can find some level of inclusion in TF2, it's a pretty crazy game with a big humorous element. But the weapons generally have some sort of tie in with a purpose, a reason the wiffle ball bat would be used for example.

What's more, none of these bring a strong new element to it.

As for your other questions, there's several 3D programs out there like Maya and Blender to choose from easily found on google, but I'm going to be honest you're looking at trying to get a very strong concept hammered out, backed up with superior art and good working models, and you're going to have some very stiff competition from individuals who are quite excellent at this.

Just saying.

Lets back this up, i go to school for computers. I know java, C++, html, the super crappy Visual basic, Flash, and Unity. I wasn't sure if there was some specific program used for this that valve or polycount made. But also i see wat your saying about competion and i also didnt include much detail on the objects them selves. With the scout being the youngest class, and the only class known to have relatives i thought bringing them into this would be original. Thanx for the feedback, i really do appreciate this.
  • Luxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baseball cap? About 3 or 4 packs are doing this. may want to rethink it.
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxy wrote: »
    Baseball cap? About 3 or 4 packs are doing this. may want to rethink it.

it was the first thing i could think of but okay. THINKING POWERS ACTIVATE
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=UPDATING BACKGROUND STORY=-
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread needs more images and less text.
    The back story and names are all well and good, but the aesthetics are the important bit.
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    >:3 FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    my model exploded and i cant fix it.

Anyone here using maya
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M-NINJA wrote: »
    >:3 FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    my model exploded and i cant fix it.

Anyone here using maya

I am. Any questions I can answer?
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im just going to start over, im making the gun. unfortunatly my computer is broken and i have to use this mini net book (god things arnt goin my way huh) and not all the commands show up. Im new to maya, best thing i could think of.

Q: +how do i model from images
    +how do i export the screen from camera
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    You can use an image as in image plane in Maya.

First hit spacebar to make the view go to the 4-view. You'll now have 4 views from different angles: Perspective, Front, Side, and Top. In the top left of all of the smaller views you'll see a small toolbar.

Go to VIEW/IMAGE PLANE/IMPORT IMAGE PLANE

This will pop up a box where you can navigate and load the image you want into maya. You can adjust the size and position of the image in it's attributes editor.

You can now model with the image as a guide. just remember to spend a lot of time in the other views and Perspective so you don't end up with a flat extrusion of a model.

-

And by export the screen from the camera do you mean just take a screengrab of what's on your screen? You can just hit Prt Scr on your keyboard and crop out anything you don't want in an image editor. No need to render an image everytime you want to show something.

Hope this helped.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron wrote: »
    Very helpful Maya stuff

^What he said. Norron probably explained it much better than I could, too. :-)
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot something. The Autodesk help files are an awesome resource. Sometimes they're kind of confusing or don't explain much but its better to have it then not.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/index.html

This guide is for Maya 2011 but if you're running an previous version just change the year numbers in the url to whatever your version is.

IE: http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2010help/index.html = Maya 2010 help files.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron wrote: »
    I forgot something. The Autodesk help files are an awesome resource. Sometimes they're kind of confusing or don't explain much but its better to have it then not.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/index.html

This guide is for Maya 2011 but if you're running an previous version just change the year numbers in the url to whatever your version is.

IE: http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2010help/index.html = Maya 2010 help files.

yes maya help is the absolute best place you can go if you ever need help knowing what any setting on any tool does, they are fabulous. (you can press F1 while in maya to open them at any time)
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes maya help is the absolute best place you can go if you ever need help knowing what any setting on any tool does, they are fabulous. (you can press F1 while in maya to open them at any time)

See! I could have used the help files to remember that I could do that. :D
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys, awesome