Home General Discussion

How do you create non-stiff character ?? (sculpting)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
You know, like, during production/sculpting process. Making a nice character that feels weighted, and alive makes the piece look rly good even in early stage of character creation. Otherwise it just looks..... wrong.

I look at other people's creations, even in early stage, and they look so good. Even without much details or anatomy yet.

... I mostly do female characters and thus I am mostly referring to them now.

Here's mine... (working on Comicon 2015)(Looks much worse when I start adding armor pieces on her...) Why does mine look stiff ??? Why isn't she looking alive ??
39d1c89fcc203661649f17fb563a835a.jpg

And here are the nice examples I was taking about. Even in the same stance, these look so much better and feel so much better. They feel alive and taking a stance. How did they do it ??? What am I missing ???

e47db9a23aa057b3a7e019986743b0ad.jpg
89a3245488cd2e3f3c0fb00e12d49095.jpg
cc9a733fd3868f13f9d149b1e86eef96.jpg
8c6677776a569b677f6f8873027e2ace.jpg
11450a9c015aa291efe66dc12ca33ede.jpg
c008128c986c13720703bd2ac0da6518.jpg
27a56aea309a2173727c721e2ed1ca28.jpg
6388e9f485f81498eb118ae352331818.jpg

I wanna become a better artist....

Replies

• jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    I'm just gonna repeat something one of my very talented friend told me. Its about the flow. You seem to know the shapes that muscles form/where abouts they exist but, not how they flow, overlap/intersect with bones and how the skin lies on top of them; even at an early stage when sculpting you can get the majority of this working. This is where the feeling a weight comes from, even in stylized work. You should try doing some gesture studies and some more anatomy studies to push yourself.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Get a good book or two on drawing solid characters and you'll be able to kick it.

Anatomy is one thing, but it's so often taught as just the muscles and bones and not the way it sits in the real world. Your character is like floating in a space station without gravity or life. You stand with weight and your bones and muscles have to hold that weight. Fat sags, boobs sag, muscles even sag.

artistic-anatomy-michael-d-mattesi-force-03.jpg

That's from Drawing with Force by Mike Mattesi. That's a great book, and there are undoubtedly others people can suggest.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I will second Force as a excellent book as it's sitting open next to a sketchbook from the other day.

Look into animator's books. Nothing flows better than movement.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Just wrote up some stuff about this. Kinda busy, I'll probably reply again later, but not only are you missing some gravity and fatty deposits that would really sell your character, but the flow and rhythm is off.

Quote from earlier:
    BagelHero wrote: »
    As Panda has touched on, Organics have rhythm and flow that, regardless of how neutral the pose, makes them feel alive.

That straight as a board, rigid T or A pose you see on some sculpts or models is really not great to get a final body that can emote and seem natural from, because they're somewhat sculpted in an extreme pose which generally causes even the most relaxed of animations to appear stiff and uncomfortable when they deform. This becomes more important the more the model adheres to real-life forms, so for realistic sculpts and stylized work that retains an emphasis on accurate muscle groups/movement in particular.

Here's some more stuff on that Gesture stuff:
    https://www.pinterest.com/cocoacanoe/character-balance-action-lines/
    All of that is good info to remember but especially: http://trotroy.deviantart.com/art/HOW-TO-MAKE-YOUR-ART-LOOK-NICE-Flow-and-Rhythm-209542995
    The rhythm section of this.

And if you find this stuff interesting, there's this huge PDF of valuable gesture drawing for animation info here, and the obligatory plug to the bigger, fancier, more physical verson: Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 1/Volume 2.
    This stuff may be often aimed at 2D art, but it is entirely applicable to 3D and is equally as important.

:thumbup:

Especially since I actually know you a little bit, I'll really emphasize buying Drawn to Life. It's got a lot of incredibly motivating notes, along with some really useful tips regarding capturing the essence of a pose-- which will of course help with a neutral pose, too.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Imho, classical anatomy/figure drawing books are very important and you should read them and make notes. I learned more from books of drawing than from all 3d tutorials combined. Personally, I pay most of my attention to proportions, shapes, negative space and silhouette. Details are secondary to everything else. A feel of the character should be established early on, when you only have so little to work with and no way to add anything unnecessary. Imho, if you nail it at that stage, everything else will come together nicely in later stages.

That's just my uneducated opinion :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much guys !!! Now I am glad I forgot to cancel Amazon's Prime sub last Sept. :)

SO much work to do now !!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Mainly its just the stance. I always try to put my characters in a posed stance even in T-pose. You can go heroic with the chest really puffed out or just relaxed with more S-curve in the spine. Also putting subtle bend in the elbow, wrist, fingers to get a more relaxed feel always helps.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Such a fascinating subject ! I have personally been obsessed by it for years, and I feel like it actually is a moving target.

On one hand, there is indeed a need to breathe life into characters, by giving them hints of natural curvature and balance. The examples you posted are great illustrations of that. Not only is it accurate to real life, but it also sells the model better for review.

But on the other hand, there is a limit to the amount of swing one can/should give to a model, because past a certain point it actually becomes a hindrance to the riggers and animators, who then have to "untwist" things on their own. For instance, even though a relaxed hand tend to take a bowl shape with the fingers gently curving in, I don't think a game model hand should be modeled that way, because it will only cause issues down the line.

Now I do agree with what everyone has been saying - there is an art to making models that look and feel natural, especially for portfolio pieces. But it is also good to keep production examples in mind, and I personally love looking at the Street Fighter 4 models in that regard. These characters need to look larger than life on screen, taking natural and exaggerated poses alike.

The Cammy model is beautifully made :

CMY1.jpg

But the model in its rigging pose is actually looking very stiff.

274113.jpg

More examples :

l64686-ehonda-49330.jpg

l46715-sakura-60054.jpg

I personally love these, because it is obvious that they will be straightforward to rig and animate, but still, they have that x-factor that makes them convincing and (potentially) full of life.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yes, the pose for most game models are optimized to fit the type of animation needed for those characters in game. The stuff I make at work tends to be stiffer than the stuff I make at home. The stuff I make at home just needs to be mildly posed for renders and thus I am not as concerned about animation optimization. For work, the rigs are made to cater to the animators and tend to be more stiff so that they are able to add the posture and posing using the rig.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhh. So good animators can breathe life into stiff model, and since I am no animator, I should add more life into the model early then.
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulzbunny polycounter lvl 6
    for the stuff we do at work, we use stiff poses with clean angles at joint bends rather than arbitrary angles. for example, our arms bend at 35 degrees from the shoulder rather than an arbitrary relaxed looking angle. its nothing compared to the street fighter screens in terms of stiffness, though. we also keep rigged meshes that we can skinwrap to that have specific game poses as well as relaxed presentation poses that we use all throughout the modeling process to check our work out in those poses.

for my own work, gesture is the primary concern, not what works best for animation since i am not sending it off to an animator.

one thing i would definitely suggest you keep in mind on top of the other great suggestions here is don't ignore the side view. a nice gestural side view of the character really helps you find the center of mass and plumb line of the body as well as emphasizing the weight or frailty of a character.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Is there any sensible reason to model with that half tip-toes pose?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Upcoming High-heels I suppose...

@sulzbunny You mean like weight balance ?
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulzbunny polycounter lvl 6
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Upcoming High-heels I suppose...

@sulzbunny You mean like weight balance ?

yep yep
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    pior wrote: »

But the model in its rigging pose is actually looking very stiff.

274113.jpg

More examples :

l64686-ehonda-49330.jpg

Hm, alright, but I'm gonna weigh in and say that these for the most part, actually aren't all that stiff-- they're still dynamic and have a clear rhythm, even if the pose they're in is a straight-up Star. You can have them in any pose suitable for your game and still achieve good rhythm and flow, and these are a perfect (though extreme) example of that.

Pyr, I hope you don't mind but just a quick redline and liquify for this specific piece.
    (really messy and I'm sorry about that)
    54cc926a3b82f.png

Can you see how your arm structure here is like a tube going into a teardrop shape with the thick end pointing up? The curves/straights that creates are very static. In the examples you provided, it's a few flowing S curves, often an S curve on the upper side of the arm, while a single curve runs along the bottom side (as shown above with the comparison). Your legs and ribs here also make a straight line running right down her entire front, again creating a static kind of tubular appearance.

It's pretty easy to fix, though, once you understand what works/what doesn't.
    54cc9a6305046.png

There are good curve/straight combinations for different effect-- certain flows will convey a sense of sexiness, awkwardness, heroic aspects, etc. You're getting really close, but these are things you should start to pay attention to when blocking out. :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing this finished!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Bagel, you are 100% correct !

There is indeed a distinction to be made between the underlying bone/rig structure of a model and the rhythmic qualities of the forms of the body, with the curves and squash and stretch you mentioned. Going back to the example of the Street Fighter characters, this is especially noticeable on Honda's legs : they rely on a completely straight bone setup, but still have a fantastic silhouette full of rhythm.

Now of course these two concepts interact with each other in very subtle ways. The challenge of setting up a model so that it works visually but also technically is actually part of what makes game art so rewarding !

Fantastic paintover btw. My only nitpick would be about the hand and fingers, which I believe would benefit from being straightened out to give them dynamic tension, which in turn would also allow for cleaner rigging and animation transfer - like on this image posted earlier :

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/cc/9a/73/cc9a733fd3868f13f9d149b1e86eef96.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for whatever insight it's worth, i documented my progress while studying under Hazardous.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Roguedevelopmentdiary
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    pior wrote: »
    My only nitpick would be about the hand and fingers, which I believe would benefit from being straightened out to give them dynamic tension, which in turn would also allow for cleaner rigging and animation transfer - like on this image posted earlier :

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/cc/9a/73/cc9a733fd3868f13f9d149b1e86eef96.jpg

Ah, yeah. I forgot to mention it because I couldn't liquify a better result-- That's entirely on-point.
    (Also, thanks, Pior. :poly136:)

@almighty_gir
    Ooh, that's an awesome write-up. That'll make for some nice lunchtime reading.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BagelHero Awesome. Thank you for taking the time to do that. The flows are so subtle; won't the clothing/armors/accessories destroy them ?

@almighty_gir I didn't know you keep that in the wiki. Awesome.

@pior Does it depend on what she will do with her fingers ? If she's gonna be pointing at something, then straightened fingers would be ideal. But if she's gonna be holding weapons, maybe relaxed fingers would make it easier ? What do you think ?
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    The flows are so subtle; won't the clothing/armors/accessories destroy them ?
    Hm, no? You should be accenting the flow with those additions, not ignoring it, so as long as you build on top of it it should be fine.

This one is a pretty good example.
    8c6677776a569b677f6f8873027e2ace.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may or may not have better understanding of the back muscle now... It confused me a lot if it should be upside-down triangle or the opposite. I think it makes better sense now.

I'm fixing her leaning/tilting back at the moment. Especially if she's on high-heels, she should be leaning forward instead. Then on to her upper arms and the calf muscles.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also adjust the size of her hands, and her weight balance as well as her arm muscles. Most likely still missing a lot of issues.

I think she DOES look more HEROIC though. OMG, instant visual improvement. What is this magic.
    9v4E6Mq.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    One thing that I definitely feel like kills the naturalness of your characters is the lumpiness. I've mentioned this to you a couple times, once in the chat while I was watching you work - you scaled back to a lower subdiv for about 5 minutes and then jumped up again. You are definitely improving but you work in way way too high of a subdivision for what you are doing, and it always leads to this lumpiness, like melting wax.

It's just super hard to control surfaces at high-subdivs, for all artists I think.

Practicing sub-div control, doing the correct details in the correct sub-div level, is a good way to get rid of this. My rule of thumb is that I should be able to smooth out the entire detail I am working on with a single smooth brush pass. So for instance if I am sculpting the bump of a knuckle, I work in a low sub-div. If I have a problem I can smooth the whole thing out without going lower in sub-div. Don't jump up until you absolutely need more resolution.

Some of this even comes from zbrush. The move tool, for instance, has an innapropriate falloff (in my opinion) that causes halos in higher subdivs.

Just my opinion, just a suggestion, but I think it could really help you with this exact problem.

Some lumpy areas:

RxPPyMy.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    My rule of thumb is that I should be able to smooth out the entire detail I am working on with a single smooth brush pass.

I thought that meant either subdiv too low or smoothing strength too high; #_# so I usually avoid being able to smooth-destroy things in a stroke. That's probably why "your subdiv is too high" has been repeated to me many times already.

Now I know better!! Thanks yuri :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thats kind of funny.

When I was having a hard time with the same thing, people used to tell me this, which is why I am repeating it, because it helped.

It does help control the surface better, which is super important. But the other thing people were trying to stress to me at the time was more about sculpture in general, which is working in abstract shapes, which is something I didn't mention, but probably more or equally important. Using lower subdivs forces you to forget about the detail heirarchy, and work on general shapes. If you're sculpting 2000 polygons for a whole body, there isn't much you can do besides make the head 'generally head shaped'. Or the legs cylindrical, or whatever. It forces you to think about general shapes, whereas when you have 200,000 polygons you can easily (And I definitely do this all the time if I'm not forcing myself to have some discipline) get lost in things that aren't appropriate to be doing yet, like knuckles on a hand that doesn't have a proper structure yet.

Besides the smoothing thing, another way that I gauge it for myself is whether I can see the polygons or not. When I work I can almost always see them in zbrush. If I zoom in, I up my subdiv but keep it low enough that I can see them. If I zoom out, I lower it until the same. Its kind of the way the dynamic brush size works, if that makes any sense. It keeps you working in the same res, just at different proximities to the mesh.

Its worth noting that it's just one way to work, and just because I or others suggest it doesn't mean much if you figure out a way that works better. If you watch some of the naughty dog last of us clothing sculpting videos, you can see the guy jumping up a super high subdiv really quickly, basically before he even starts, and it's hard to argue with those kind of results. So feel free to ignore me.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am pretty sure there are more than just a single sweet spot where subdiv/poly intensity and brush intensity and falloff radius work together nicely.

I'm going to give this a few tries to see how it clicks with me.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Okay, that was a fairly dramatic improvement. Good job, man-- the back does look a lot better now, and the general posture/flow is definitely coming along! Everything feels a little more natural.

+1 to Yuri's notes and suggestions.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This thread is full of good info!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    If you are doing this for the comicon comp it might help to check out the short hand anchors for architype hero ladies. Pior has a model that you can check out: http://pioroberson.com/wp2014/stylized-anatomy-reference-statues/ I think you can even buy it!

Photos 2 and 3 on this thread have these points included. Your redone model looks a bit straight up and down atm (a bit mannish) you should try get that figure 8 in there somehow. Proportions are always a hot issue and what is correct but if you look at all the female character work that is popular then you can see the anchors come back time and again. The winner of the 2014 GA comp (Olga Starodubtseva), 2d I guess. Hope hot linking is allowed.
    karambola-141389-comicon-challenge-2014-main-image-1395238097.jpg

I reckon you could spread the legs a little on your base to make modelling the armor a bit easier. The head also looks like it could come forward a bit.
    Just my 2 bob.
    Cheers
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    great thread. lots of good info. wish I could add something to this but I'm just a bystander atm.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    With regards to rigging, I don't see a reason why you would have to model in the rigging pose.

I tend to sculpt in a nice relaxed pose to how I see is fitting for the character. Then pose it for skinning/rigging before re-topology for the low poly. So UVing, baking and rigging it will be in the correct pose. I might even do a temp pose for the low poly in Zbrush when texturing.

It's just way easier to check if the high poly is looking correct if it's in a relaxed pose.