Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male Torso (First Sculpt)

Hi There!
I've been following some tutorials to try and teach myself some 3D art. Anyway, I didn't feel like doing tutorials today so had a go at sculpting. I'm a complete beginner so be as tough on me as you like because i have a lot to learn!

This is the result so far:

Front:
gK1r19V.png

01N4Vfn.png

Side:
IHg6pKD.png

Back (Though not much done :( )
rdMz7J4.png

I mostly concentrated on the front, and was finding the back much more difficult.

Here is what i was mainly using as a ref : http://www.medimage3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Male-muscles-front-side-back-1024x560.jpg

Thanks, i hope the screen shots are ok.
:poly121:

Edit: Just looking now, after i posted, i've noticed his bum is too big? I'll look at that first tomorrow

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you see how, gesturally speaking, your abs are imploding in from the side rofile view as opposed to getting that mounding out before it reaches the pelvis?
  • Leviculas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah JadeEyePanda, you're right. I kinda have it going in the wrong direction. I'll take a look at that tomorrow.

• Leviculas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like the pecs are too high? Not sure though, maybe too small? If anyone has any thoughts on that it would also be helpful. Thanks
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Please, please use a reference from life.

That reference is horrible. That shouldn't be anywhere in your reference pile, much less your main ref.

3D models generally make poor reference. When you use a 3d model for reference you're really banking on the assumption that the person made it got it right, which they probably didn't. Further the problem is even worse with models that have clearly been rigged and posed like that one has, since not only do you have the anatomy problems of the original model but it's been distorted unnaturally by the rig and posing...
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ditto. Find real reference of naked male figure models. Use the muscle reference you have for MUSCLE reference, not "what it looks like on the outside in real life" reference.

Also, stop using red wax mat cap. It looks pretyy, but it's utterly useless to get a neutral look at your model. Use a gray clay or something similar. Google ZBro Matcaps if you need a specific direction to look in.

Do you know what I meant by "gesture?"
  • Leviculas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, i'll focus on using real life refs from now on.
    (This is one i was using, but like i said, i was mainly using the muscle one, http://grinderblind.deviantart.com/art/MALE-TORSO-ANATOMY-REFERENCE-121597708 )
    - I'll try and get a reliable book for anatomy when i can, in the mean time i guess i'll seek something better out online.

@JadeEyePanda I've only been using zbrush for about a week so i'l have to look that up, thanks for the tip. :)

I assumed you meant pose? Perhaps i should have asked for clarification. I feel like I need to shift the bottom part of the model forward a bit, make it a bit straighter.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not what I mean.

This website explains it somewhat better. It speaks of drawing, but it applies to sculpting as well and 3D forms.
    "Gesture drawing explores the form and movement of an object in space, as your eye follows its shape. Often it may look quite realistic, but more often gesture drawings will have just a sense of the overall form. Gesture drawing isn't an outline, nor is it an abstract drawing. It might not always look realistic though, because it isn't trying to represent the figure in a photographic way, but to suggest the essential feeling of the subject.
    Imagine you are describing the object with your hands as you talk to someone - those hand gestures are very like those you make when gesture drawing. The marks are quick and deliberate. You look at the subject and try to sum it up with a few marks, as you might describe it in a few words. Because you don't have much time, each word - each mark - in a gesture drawing must say something significant about the subject."

Source

This doesn't have gesture
    ZQ3tPRO.jpg

This has gesture:
    female-06.jpg

Both static poses, but one feels like it has motion, the other is as stiff as a board. And that's even with the internal elements and "lines."

It's a more effective use of your time as an artist to understand the human body not as a machine, but as a bending, animating, moving object, like rubber.

Beginning your anatomy sculpting by thinking about it like "this muscle group is next to this one" just makes your human look stiff. Gesture and figure before you jump into the tinier, more specific parts.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    As Panda has touched on, Organics have rhythm and flow that, regardless of how neutral the pose, makes them feel alive.

That straight as a board, rigid T or A pose you see on some sculpts or models is really not great to get a final body that can emote and seem natural from, because they're somewhat sculpted in an extreme pose which generally causes even the most relaxed of animations to appear stiff and uncomfortable when they deform. This becomes more important the more the model adheres to real-life forms, so for realistic sculpts and stylized work that retains an emphasis on accurate muscle groups/movement in particular.

Here's some more stuff on that Gesture stuff:
    https://www.pinterest.com/cocoacanoe/character-balance-action-lines/
    All of that is good info to remember but especially: http://trotroy.deviantart.com/art/HOW-TO-MAKE-YOUR-ART-LOOK-NICE-Flow-and-Rhythm-209542995
    The rhythm section of this.

And if you find this stuff interesting, there's this huge PDF of valuable gesture drawing for animation info here, and the obligatory plug to the bigger, fancier, more physical verson: Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Drawn-Life-Classes-Stanchfield-Lectures/dp/0240810961"]Volume 1[/ame]/Volume 2.
    This stuff may be often aimed at 2D art, but it is entirely applicable to 3D and is equally as important.

:thumbup:

As for your current stuff, you may find this useful (though do use a lot of real life ref alongside these): https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/anatomy.php
  • Leviculas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the explanation, mega helpful. I think the problem with a lot of tutorials i have seen is that they are only teaching me the tools, not the underlying art theory. So thats something i definitely need to think about more.
    Unfortunately, i didn't have much time tonight, but i'll definitely give this a shot at the weekend, maybe via some 2D drawing first.
    (at first i was worried it would make getting the anatomy right and in proportion a lot harder, but now i think i was wrong & if i don't try to my sculpts will feel like they have no life to them, even if it is harder)

anyway, I'll post a quick screenshot of what i tried to do in the short time i had tonight, even though i am not happy with it, just so that i feel i've been productive :shifty:

PFkaoCh.png?1

Thanks again for putting together that info for me :)

And on a positive note, i feel like i've gotten a lot better at using zbrush over the two days. Going to customise the UI tomorrow i hope to improve it a bit as well.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great you're getting better with Zbrush. Don't forget about the anatomy part tho, it's super important if you want to sculpt human body.

I prefer these over books.
    http://www.anatomytools.com/male-figures-c6.php

And take Scott Eaton's course if you're absolutely serious :)