Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity hallway scene for fun

polycounter lvl 11

Replies

• GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    So this looks really cool! and the lighting is neat, I played the demo and I have some comments:

The specularity and lack of reflection on the water puddle is kinda jarring, I walked past it and it turned white and was confused, playing with a Fresnel effect on that will be helpful.

The specularity and reflections on the wall are kind of strange with them being covered in rust, since rust doesnt reflect. (Also why are the walls metal and rusting, seems dangerous!)

The end of the hall is just a white wall, I would expect there to be a door or something.

I would just expect there to be more walls in general here.

Lastly, the light rays should fade out when you get close to them. In UDK it's called Depth Biased Alpha, i think Unity has a similar feature but i really cant remember.

anywho it's a neat little piece but just needs some things to push it beyond.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the reply

I completely forgot about the water puddles, must have gone off to tweak something else and abandoned those!

The specularity on the walls was similar in BF4, I guess its like humid paint?

But thanks on those other notes Ill mess with it :P
  • Bigglesworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigglesworth greentooth
    Very beautiful light. Wall material is boring (Without normal maps), but lighting is awesome:) So what's next step? Are you going to finish scene, make props?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    For how bright that light is in the window, the hallway does not have enough bounce lighting going on. It is bright and sunny outside of my window, and I have blinds covering most of my window and the bounce lighting fills most of my room. Try to find some photos of a similar type of area and see how much bounce lighting happens. Here is a thread to check out for some ideas as well http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102235
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks amazing! Unfortunately the demo runs at a whole 10 frames per second on my shitty laptop and I can't get to my desktop at the moment but some small things I noticed were that some of the books by the windows are clipping through the wall and the clock looks like a solid "foggy" color. I'd imagine it would be a bit more reflective to make it appear dusty rather than foggy.

Lastly, I think the floor and maybe even the lockers could be a bit dirtier. They seem to look worn out and beaten but still somewhat clean at the moment.

Regardless, I can't wait to see where this goes.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start. The lighting is nice and I like the overall burnt umber color of the scene.

Some details you could add:
    The drips down the walls are a little odd. The grey color is unusual and doesn't really suggest water leakage or mold. If there was water leaks, then the ceiling tiles would also have staining.
    22713926_e18c645985.jpg

The pipe running the length of the hall wouldn't be attached to the drop ceiling in real life. The t-bar can't support the weight of something like schedule 40 plumbing pipe. The pipe would be in the ceiling on hangers or strapped to the wall. You could leave some ceiling tiles popped out to show plumbing, hvac, and electrical.

You would have pot or flourescent lights on every second or third ceiling tile.

Also missing diffusers for the air conditioning. And fire alarm devices (bells, pull stations, smoke detectors, etc.).