Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Abandoned building interior.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
osman polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, I've been working on this small scene for the last 11-12 days and I thought it might have reached that point where it deserves it's own thread.

I started this scene because I wanted something recent in my portfolio. It first started off as a lighting experiment/practice but I got carried away and did a couple of extra rooms. From then on I just started polishing it and decorating it with more assets.

Here is the latest video and screenshot.I'm nearly done with the walls/floors/ceilings and will move on to the bigger props such as beds/chairs/tables/boxes/trash etc.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Ut5mVo1U"]UDK. v0.7 - YouTube[/ame]

scrn04.png

This is the original scene and my first version:

maternityhospital001-25.jpg

screen01.png

Here's some more screenshots of different stages:

scrn.png

scrn03.png

scrn02.png

screen04.png

screen021.png

And I've got some more videos of earlier stages on my youtube account but I won't spam them here :) I'll just post one old one:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzhbTGGEWIk"]UDK v0.3 - YouTube[/ame]

And here's some of the static meshes I used to create this scene. You could probably guess that they aren't the most fascinating models in the world because I did not want to spend too long on this scene. This is probably not a smart thing to do when creating a scene for your portfolio but I felt like I might be able to get away with it. Anyways, here are some that I screenshotted while waiting for the video to upload:

lighting_0006_Layer-1.png
lighting_0005_Layer-2.png
lighting_0004_Layer-3.png
lighting_0003_Layer-4.png
lighting_0002_Layer-5.png
lighting_0001_Layer-6.png
lighting_0000_Layer-7.png

So yeah, all crits and comments are welcome as always, I'll do my best to fix as much as I can in the time that I've set out for this. There are some big logic problems in the scene mainly with sizes and measurements because I didn't have a real plan for this when I started it. I hope it's minor though. Thanks!

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I really am digging this so far man, no crits yet on my part, I can't wait to see some props, and particle effects in the sunlight :)
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    Very cool and realistic looking, could you post some screens from inside the editor - would love to see how you handled things with modular sets.

Also how'd you keep the realistic looks along with a sensible scale of props (doorways in particular always come off as either too wide or too tall for me :S)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    nice, i'm digging the lighting a lot.

proportions of this room seem a little off:
    http://gameartist.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/screen01.png

windows are placed too high, they are too thin, and ceiling might be placed slightly too low. trim on the wall is bigger than on photo, so it also makes room feel smaller.
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    Nice man i like it, don't think you have got your tiling of the walls perfect but its a tiny issue and barely noticeable the only reason i did is because i am a massive perfectionist love the lighting i need to do something like that for my next scene.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YES! this is awesome work. Proves that if you get the walls, floors and lighting right, you dont need to fill areas with props to get amazing results.

HNNGGG
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Indeed the lighting is sweet :)
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it! Great work, cant wait to see more props
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Lighting rocks ! by curiosity I wonder about your lightmaps size. Anyway, can't wait either to see some props =)
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic lighting! Care to share your process? Lights you used? Settings? I could never get my lighting right in UDK
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    nice! gz with the spotlight. second screen is awesome :)
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, glad you like it. Still got a lot to do, but it's fun so it should be fairly easy to do!

@ScribbleHead I'll try to gather some screenshots of the setup soon. I decided to work on some other stuff on the weekend so I'll get back to it monday :)

@Blaisoid you're right, the proportions are a little off in nearly all of the rooms. I started it as a lighting experiment so I never really focused on it, but I guess I should try and fix it now :) This is how that room looks now btw, it's a little different:
    screen01.png

@benjam, correct, a good friend on skype noticed it too, should be fairly easy to fix, thanks :)

@scotthomer, yeah indeed, I'm surprised myself that even at this stage it's looking decent, I was expecting to make this look good with the main bigger props, but I'm not even there yet and quite satisfied. Good learning experience :)

@Romy, I'll post some screenshots with lightmap sizes. Most of my staticmeshes use vertex lighting, most walls use very low resolution and some( close to harsh differences in lighting) use a bit higher. But I don't think anywall is bigger than 64x64, I'll have to double check that tho.

@alexk, I'll try and write something up soon, but it's fairly basic. The main thing was to understand the lightmass system and all of it's values such as diffuse bounce, static lighting level scale, the ao settings, etc. I experimented in that first room for a day or two. Once I had a basic understanding I started tweaking how much every wall/asset bounces and the same for every light and sometimes I changed it in the material etc.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I hope to show some cooler screens soon! Crits and Comments are welcome as always!
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackyBoy polycounter lvl 10
    Really like this scene, not OTT and the lighting is really nice.

My only crit as the thing that stood out to me was the ceiling fan looks super clean compared to everything else in the room
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great, loving those particles. You should maybe knock out some floor tiles. Keep it up!
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking great, some crits:

- you should add a soldier course on the top of the curved window frame.
    - Align all your bricks and also your door frames & lift frames to them as well.
    - You could chamfer the 2 outward bound brick wall corners to soften it

Would be cool to have a broken/blocked? wooden staircase just to give the illusion of the depth/verticality of the other floors. Or the door at the end of the corridor could be open so you can see the staircase going up and down.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    looks nice, looking forward to see more
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    Oh dude, this really need a making of do you think? haha
    in love with all scene
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    Great stuff going on here! I have to say tho, I like the first version of that room with the two windows A LOT more than the current version. The wall and ceiling textures you had originally I think work towards the atmosphere more (as well as look much cooler) than the brick and super peeling wall paper. In addition, it makes the room feel significantly different from the rest of the level and prevents it from blending in with the hallways.

As for the level of detail on your props, I think where you are at for those sort of props is just fine. Spending 5 days on a ceiling fan that nobody is gonna give a second look at anyway is a waste of time, you don't wanna give the hero treatment to every little thing in a scene. You have pretty decent broad material definitions on your props and at a large scale that is what matters the most. It also shows that you know where to put the love in a scene to get the most bang for your buck ie the things people are going to actually feast their eyes on.

Keep it going man! And for the love of god, when youre done with this level, please make an exe that we can download and walk around in!
  • npfargp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great scene!
    What is your workflow for the building? Did u do the blocking out in max or u used BSP.
    I can see the the window is modular. How do cut out the wall for the rounded top?
    Please tell more about the lighting setup. How many and what kind of light sources did u use?

And one more question about the brick material: Did u make a high poly version for zhe normal map, or u painted it by hand?

thanks for any info!
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot guys for the kind words, really happy you like it!

JackyBoy, yeah I could dirty it up a little bit, my initial thought was that no one is really going to touch it, but I guess aging does that to stuff. I actually have a little trouble deciding how old I want this building to be hehe.

@aajohnny thanks, yeah perhaps after I start placing some assets I could see where some damage on the floors will look good.

Ex-Ray, thanks, good suggestions and fairly easy stuff to fix so I'll definitely will try and do it soon :)
    As for the staircase, perhaps I can place a new open door somewhere near the elevators, that's where they tend to be usually right?

@superfranky, thanks glad you like it.

@Z3D hehe I'm at that stage where I'm preparing to start applying for new jobs, so I have plenty of time to perhaps do a making of, just need to decide when to do that :) Also, I'm pretty much always on the Polycount Google+ hangout working on this live, why not visit us there haha.

@Cap, thanks, good suggestions, I'll try and get the other version of that room in my next video so you can see if you like that one better. The only real reason I put the peeling wallpapers there is because I wanted to try and make them haha. I'll experiment with it soon and I hope you can give some feedback on it again, thanks:)

About the level of detail on the props, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one thinking like that. I'm also experimenting with NOT baking normal maps for everything, because for some props I feel it doesn't make sense to spend that much extra time on a high poly etc.

@npfargp

Thank you, I did the block-out in BSP. I did start out with static mesh walls for the first room( one of the reasons some of the scale is off) and then just re-used their tillable texture to block-out the other rooms. After that, wherever I needed more complex geometry I converted it to staticmeshesh. Right now it's mostly static meshes and I'll probably convert the last bits of BSP towards the end. ( mainly because my real-time reflections for my puddle of water is not working with BSP's, will have to experiment with that some more soon )

The weekend is over, so I'll start working on it today, and I hope I'll have some updates soon! Thanks.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Man this is really giving me the itch to push my post apoc art way more than I do... :(
  • Maffew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maffew polycounter lvl 8
    This looks great. You're texturing is particularly impressive.

Out of interest, how do you activate vertex lighting on static meshes in UDK? Is it as simple as setting the lightmap resolution to 0 ?
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys,
    Maffew, yeah, just set it to 0 and it will bake using the vertex lighting
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    This is great work, I love how simple it is. Can't wait to see where you take this
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Grimmstrom.

Ok I've finished texturing the last part of the walls/ceilings/floors. Now I'm going to start fixing the texture tiling stuff( and stuff that's not aligning) and some of the logical problems such as the soldier course for the windows etc).

And from now on it's all static mesh work, I will have to create the objects that will fill the rooms/corridors etc.

Here's some screenshots of the corridor with all of it's errors clearly visible hehe.

corridor01_complete.png

corridor_lighting.png

corridor_unlit.png

I've also started experimenting with a new scene and it's lighting. Trying to create the softer shadows coming from outside:

lighting_02.png
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Fantastic work on your materials/ textures,
    Could we see some of the texture sheets? Can't wait to see more!
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    wow awsome work! the wallpaper looks great
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I like how you played with the lighting and the texture, it looks believable. And yeah, just need to re-arrange a bit the proportions. Otherwise, good job! And add more props to it! :)
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    osman wrote: »

@Cap, thanks, good suggestions, I'll try and get the other version of that room in my next video so you can see if you like that one better. The only real reason I put the peeling wallpapers there is because I wanted to try and make them haha. I'll experiment with it soon and I hope you can give some feedback on it again, thanks:)

About the level of detail on the props, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one thinking like that. I'm also experimenting with NOT baking normal maps for everything, because for some props I feel it doesn't make sense to spend that much extra time on a high poly etc.

Dont get me wrong, the peeling wall paper and brick combo look good texture wise, I was commenting purely on the contrast between the hallway and room plus the atomsphere the original textures leaned towards. All your env textures look good with the exception of the hallway concrete, which I see youve already changed for the better.

You can definitely get away with not making a high poly for many things, in some situations its just not going to add enough pizaz for the time spent (stuff thats a distance prop or small on screen space, smaller props, wires, etc), especially if you can just bevel edges and edit the normals to get a similar effect. That being said, Making a HP for everything is a good way to get faster at the workflow in general. The more you do it the faster you will get, plus you will eventually run into shapes that are difficult to model and you'll be prepared for them in the future when you run into those shapes again.
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    Cheers Osman ,I didn't know about a Polycount G+ , would be very nice to see something in .

Can't wait for more shots man; and if you really have time do it! ;)
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Looks great!!! I need to work on a scene myself. My first one was okay but I need to start a new one.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    @Cap, Yeah I know what you mean. I usually love making high polys because it makes texturing the thing much easier I think :D

@Z3D, spectre1130: Thanks :)

I've started working on an old televsion model, I just picked up random reference from the internet and mixed them together. I did the high poly and low and some of the texturing. This is its current state ( the positioning in the scene of just random atm):

tv_01.png

tv_02.png

tv_03.png

And did one with white noise for fun(ignore the wrong material on the wall there :P):
    tv_041.png
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, its looking amazing. The white noise image looks creepy. The tv looks very pristine compared to the rest of the room though. maybe crack it a bit. But looks great, keep it up!
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    love it :):) only thing is the brick texture needs scaling, the bricks look just a little too big
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah very nice :)

Are you thinking of adding some parallax mapping on the bricks, or possibly even teselation? that'd really bring them out even more so than they already are! especially on the corners. Although I haven't fully looked into parallax occlusion mapping yet, not sure if UDK supports it, teselation atm for me anyway seems a bit buggy and sluggish.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    I'd rotate the poster and other wall art a little bit so that they're not so perfectly aligned on the wall. There are so many properly aligned features (brick pattern, pipes, window sills, base boards) that this is an opportunity to break up that perfection.

Add an interesting spec map with matching diffuse to the TV (especially the screen) to show more age. The glass should be scratched with dirt smears.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe yeah, the tv's texture is still work in progress. I haven't done the back at all yet, still working on the front. There needs to be a tv name, button colors, some scratches here and there, the wood needs to be made dirtier, the screen has spec, but not so visible yet on those screenshots. It's a fun model to texture. I might make a creepy face appear every now and then on the screen :P
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    A couple of more rooms done with the trash/dirt stuff:
    screen06.png
    screen03.png
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should put a bevel on that corner if you can, it looks super sharp and the lightmap will probably bake out real smooth if you do that. I think I read somewhere that Mirrors Edge used beveled edges on walls together with lightmaps to get a smooth result in lightning on edges.

Otherwise, looks really good!
    osman wrote: »

corridor01_complete.png
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking progressively more stunning each time i see an update osman, hoping you'll post a breakdown of your methods when the dust settles :D
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    This is looking great so far. Its nice to see something dirty but not noisy with a good sense for light.
  • dionix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dionix polycounter lvl 6
    I think your bricks are too big, they read more like stones.

Otherwise I really dig your scene.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    @dionix, yeah it might have happened during the time that I switched from stones to bricks. I probably felt the bricks were too small because I was so used to the huge stones and so mis guessed the size hehe.

I've been trying to learn the UDK matinee stuff to make some camera pans etc:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGS05GmOj5Q"]UDK v0.8 - YouTube[/ame]

It should be almost finished. I need to add a couple more meshes still and fix some stuff, but that's about it. I need to move on to a new scene soon :)
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    It's looking really nice. I halfway expected the lights to all flicker off at 1:16 and the TV to turn on. Did you know you can render out the video sequence in stills instead of using video capture software? I noticed at 0:15 your cursor flies by lol. I didn't know if you just did it that way for speed sake or not.

Anyways here is a short little tutorial on how to dump out stills of the matinee
    http://maiev.net/wordpress/?p=374
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah this is just a test render and I used fraps to quickly capture it. I did know about the feature but haven't really tested it. I gave the matinee video recording a go, and that one dropped some frames here and there. I hope the screen-dump method is smooth.
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome, very inspiring.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Very close to completion( except the fixes I still have to do, it's a big list, but I'll have to find time for it)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYrSiq1rRnM"]UDK v0.98 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    Lookin good man! All your reflective surfaces look really clean...not what I would expect in a place like this. Also, I would add some kind of elevator shaft with dim emergency lights (or something) behind the open elevator door instead of just solid blackness.
  • chuyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any chance we can see some wireframes of the rooms? they look insanely good!

Really good job.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    This is great - I love the lighting and materials!