Old (#1)
Welcome to our 5th monthly unofficial Dota 2 workshop friendly competition

This month we decided to go for old guys on the workshop, the ones that received a a good amount of items last year and got almost forgotten after that by the workshop

reddit decided for us and here is the FIVE heroes we are going to work this month

---Heroes

Invoker

Kunkka

Tidehunter

Morphling

Natures Prophet

---The competition

the idea of the competition is to create items in a friendly environment and with the feedback of the other participants to get the best result possible

this month is the first one with a sponsor, the guys from Handplane3d are giving 2 licenses for the best set and best single item

everything that is accepted by the workshop could be part of this competitions: solo items, sets, couriers, wards, HUDS and announcers

at the end of each month we will be compiling all the thumbnails for advertising

The items will be separated on the following categories

-Solo item (dont need to be part of a set)
-sets

--- Getting your item displayed on the first post

PHP Code:
[SIZE="4"]SET NAME[/SIZEby [URL="WORKSHOP_USER_LINK"]USERNAME[/URL]

[
URL="ITEM_LINK"][IMG]THUMBNAIL_IMG[/IMG][/URL
or this one for 2 creators
PHP Code:
[SIZE="4"]SET NAME[/SIZEby [URL="WORKSHOPLINK"]USERNAME[/URL] and [URL="WORKSHOP_USER_LINK_2"]USERNAME_2[/URL]

[
URL="ITEM_LINK"][IMG]THUMBNAIL_IMG[/IMG][/URL
set_name - name of your set, use equal as on the workshop
workshop_user_link - your workshop page, so people can browse your other items easily
Username - the name you think its easier to people find you, can be the one from polycount or the steam
item_link - the workshop page of your item
thumbnail_img - the image link of the thumbnail that is INSIDE your item page on the workshop

---Rules
  • open for teams of any size
  • open for every acceptable item on the workshop
  • everyone should keep posting feedback on other works, the feedback should be constructive
  • the final submition need to be based on one of the heroes on the list or be a wearable item for that hero
  • it must be submitted to the workshop before the deadline
  • the deadline is the last day of the month at 23:59

---Prizes

this month we are getting 2 keys for the Handplane3d software for the categories:
-Best set
-Best solo item

the prizes will be given to two different contributors, Best Set first then Best Solo item. If it happen to repeat the same winner, we will go for the next ones till we reach two unique winners

---Inspiring quotes

Wow, that's really awesome. Please keep us at Valve informed so we can help draw attention to the winners, progress threads, etc.
Some advice:
Try to give some attention to heroes that are under-served so far (in terms of amount of content).
The success of sets tracks well with the popularity of the hero. (Although popularity can vary between updates and as Icefrog changes balance.)
Look for heroes that the community seems to have trouble creating content for. Good work can really open up the design landscape and help people think about the dynamic range of potential designs.
Don't forget about single items (instead of full sets). Many of the most popular items in the game are single items. Mounts and weapons make good candidates for this, but it varies by hero.
Mix up these approaches. So maybe one month you do a popular hero and another month you do a hero that has few items.

-Brandon Reinhart (Valve)

I love you guys for doing this! Dota2 is my favorite game at the moment and Polycount is my favorite community! I'm very proud to be apart of such dedicated artists and I smile every time I see some Polycount work in game

-coots7

---Presentation

the presentation is a really important part on the workshop, save some time before the deadline for that. the first impression means a lot on the workshop.

If you want to fancy your presentation here is a the polycount logo over the aegis, there is no need of it to be used

http://puu.sh/1QtZy

---Previous Months
MAY
APRIL
MARCH
FEBRUARY

---FINISHED ENTRIES

Savage Riptide by DUSK

Wild tide by Mantra

Charred Runestick by Coyo.Te

VITAMIN C DEFICIENCY by Tamarin

Force of Nature by JIM

VOCIOUS AEON by Konras

Bludgeon of the Aquatic Steed
by Airborn Studios

The Wood's Warrior by DeerHunter

The Aegis of the Wood by Prophet9

Vitamin C Deficiency by Zenchuck

FungalLord by Willypup and Robo

Last edited by Tvidotto; 07-04-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Offline , Moderator, 1,507 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location São Paulo - Brazil Send a message via Skype™ to Tvidotto  

Old (#2)
I won't have time for a set but I'm definitely joining in this month

I've been playing a lot of Prophet recently so I'll either make something for him or Invoker.

Reeeeeally looking forward to seeing what you guys do with Morph!
Offline , polycounter, 937 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Sydney Send a message via Skype™ to BrontoThunder  

Old (#3)
Woo, I already have a prophet set in the works. Nice timing!
Offline , triangle, 287 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location Sydney, Australia  

Old (#4)
Fantastic heroes composition this time. Allot people play those chars (maybe without Morphling), and that is good because sets will get much more love I suppose. Anyway somethings is surely wrong with me, because first thing that I thought of was jrock hairstyle for Invoker
Offline , polygon, 661 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location Poland Send a message via MSN to Konras Send a message via Skype™ to Konras  

Old (#5)
Definitely getting involved this month and going for a full set this time!
Offline , polycounter, 762 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010,  

Old (#6)
looking forward to enter this month too

invoker could have a magic book courier =] something like the fantasia genesis game
Offline , Moderator, 1,507 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location São Paulo - Brazil Send a message via Skype™ to Tvidotto  

Old (#7)
I wanted to do that for my Polycount contest set
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,529 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011, Location Germany  

Old (#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvidotto View Post

invoker could have a magic book courier =] something like the fantasia genesis game
Fantasia Game Sample - Genesis/MD - YouTube
Dude!!

How about a courier like Cheato from Banjo-Kazooie??
Offline , polycounter, 937 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Sydney Send a message via Skype™ to BrontoThunder  

Old (#9)
I think I'm going to try to do a set for Invoker if I have the time.

Tvidotto is there a way you can post the reference charts for these heroes like you have in previous contest threads if you have the time? I'd love to use them to concept with.
Offline , null, 7 Posts, Join Date Mar 2013,  

Old (#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvidotto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrontoThunder View Post
Dude!!

You guys motivated me, first begening of concept i did (bit crappy atm) , if anyone whant to push it, feel free

Offline , vertex, 27 Posts, Join Date Nov 2012, Location France  

Old (#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrontoThunder View Post
Dude!!

So many happy memories!

I'm torn. I don't know whether I want to do Nature's Prophet or Invoker this month... Both?

Also, another vote for the reference sheets!
Offline , triangle, 306 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013,  

Old (#12)
Yay, so may heroes! I want to make something for Invoker♥ and Onilolz wants Tide, so we'll make 2 sets again

Last edited by Zaphk; 06-02-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Offline , spline, 190 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location Brazil, São Paulo Send a message via Skype™ to Zaphk  

Old (#13)
INVOKER HAS NO NEED OF BOOKS! "My mind is my Arcanery." - Invoker

His whole deal is that he uses his memory to be a boss wizard. He has forgotten more spells than most wizards ever learned.

It's a fine idea for a courier, but a bit strange to associate it with Invoker himself.

I suppose I'll be making an Invoker set this month.
Kyle Parsons
Portfolio | Dota 2 Workshop
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,433 Posts, Join Date Mar 2009, Location Vancouver, BC Send a message via MSN to Frump  

Old (#14)
I always thought a Necronomicon book courier with a demon hand sticking out to walk on (Like Thing from the Adam's Family) would be pretty neat. Books don't seem to fit invoker too well.

Can't wait to see the new sets and items for these heroes. They need some love.
Offline , null, 5 Posts, Join Date May 2013,  

Old (#15)
I think some book courrier for him is fine, as in the description it justify it. Something like " Even if Invoker needs no more books to master magic, he likes their old friendly company.."
Offline , vertex, 27 Posts, Join Date Nov 2012, Location France  

Old (#16)
Great selection of Heroes this time around. I'm going to jump in with Tide, update the cannon i have and base a set around it.

I'm thinking, netting, rope, old glass fishing floats, fish, shells, scales etc etc.
Offline , polygon, 552 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Australia  

Old (#17)
Might throw in something for tide since i have some stuff going on for him. Want to do some kind of Keen engineer, scraps, salvaged parts.
Offline , polygon, 500 Posts, Join Date Sep 2012, Location Stockholm  

Old (#18)
gonna try to do 3-4 sets
Offline , spline, 146 Posts, Join Date Mar 2013,  

Old (#19)
I made this to help you guys out Kunkka,Invoker, and Morphing will be done by the end of today

Edit: ha, a book with a bookbag

Last edited by I-ninja; 06-03-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Offline , triangle, 251 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011, Location In the darkness  

Old (#20)
Book courier for invoker isn't anything that Invoker players would appreciate in my opinion. Playing him is like a little mini game, like some sort of memory puzzle. Maybe some floating device that would turn, rotate, transform, builded out of parts colored according to his hexes. Similar to rubick cube/sphere would be much more suited for this character. Anyway that's just my humble opinion
Offline , polygon, 661 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location Poland Send a message via MSN to Konras Send a message via Skype™ to Konras  

Old (#21)
I am going to try Kunkka

here is my try at a hat.

What is Kunkka's neck? Is it the belt?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg day1.jpg (64.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg day2.jpg (21.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Tamarin; 06-04-2013 at 02:16 PM..
AKA Blender2Dota AKA Zenchuck AKA Andrew Amundrud
Offline , triangle, 299 Posts, Join Date Jul 2006, Location Quebec, QC  

Old (#22)
Did anyone else notice that the in-game skin of tidehunter doesnt match the color mask provided on the workshop page? The dark green stripes are missing. Makes it kind of hard to create body mods. Just so you know when doing concepts.
Offline , vertex, 47 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013,  

Old (#23)
Will think something about this sea beast. Used to play Tidehunter an awful LOT when I was a newbie. My friend who was playing wc3 dota for god knows how many years would always say "well, yeah, pick tidehunter".
Offline , spline, 119 Posts, Join Date Mar 2013,  

Old (#24)
Not a big fan of this month's heroes, since most of them have loads of stuff, while there are still heroes with barely 1 set. Still, I'll see if I can start working on something next week if I have some free time. Also hopefully try to get a cool concept to work with instead of my crappy stuff.

Good luck guys! Hope to see awesome work as always!
Bruno Monti

Sunshield Studio
Offline , polygon, 746 Posts, Join Date Jun 2012, Location Sao Paulo  

Old (#25)
I want to make something for Morphling but yet to come up with a concept. Any concept artist willing to collaborate is welcome.
Offline , polygon, 737 Posts, Join Date May 2013,