Author : Texelion

Old (#1)
Hey guys

the idea of this competition is to create sets for a hero defined by voting in a friendly ambient

that way we can bump items to a hero that is needing it and help each other to get the best of its capabilities

its open for everything possible on the dota workshop, like set items, wards and couriers. It just should follow the voting

there is no prize, is just and excuse to keep everyone motivated =]

the winners on each category will be selected by public pool after the deadline

CATEGORIES (sorry we decided on the post but i forget to change here)

-solo item (dont need to be part of a set)
-set
-newcomer item

RULES

1 - open for teams of any size
2 - open for sets, solo itens, couriers, ward and annoucers!? =]
3 - everyone should keep posting feedback on other works

DEADLINES

voting - at least a day so every timezone could vote on it

final submitions - february 28 (as we are doing it for the first time we will have a little more time, the next ones will be a month for each hero)

-----

the heroes to be voted are the newest added on the workshop

-centaur
-slark
-mirana
-keeper of the light
-lesrac
-lich
-darkseer
-batrider
-shadow demon

the voting for february is here
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p...b00f8f291e0051

reddit post about it
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...starting_up_a/

-----
Winning hero MIRANA

3d visualizer of the model

https://sketchfab.com/embed/9lVs96AuFUAjKjwvsMG0Uf7Yy7b
the link is from the site http://planetdota.com/new.html

Concept sheet

Logo for a fancy presentation

---
suggestions from Brandon Reinhart

Wow, that's really awesome. Please keep us at Valve informed so we can help draw attention to the winners, progress threads, etc.
Some advice:
Try to give some attention to heroes that are under-served so far (in terms of amount of content).
The success of sets tracks well with the popularity of the hero. (Although popularity can vary between updates and as Icefrog changes balance.)
Look for heroes that the community seems to have trouble creating content for. Good work can really open up the design landscape and help people think about the dynamic range of potential designs.
Don't forget about single items (instead of full sets). Many of the most popular items in the game are single items. Mounts and weapons make good candidates for this, but it varies by hero.
Mix up these approaches. So maybe one month you do a popular hero and another month you do a hero that has few items.

---
POOL RESULT

------
FINISHED ENTRIES

Sets

Nightsilver Sentinel by Anuxi

Blessings of the Lunar Dragon by Bronto Thunder

Solo item

MoonLight Observer By beetrootChan and Vlad

SnOwl courier by T_Vidotto

Valron, the frost guardian mount by Paskie

Last edited by Tvidotto; 03-30-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Offline , Moderator, 1,534 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location São Paulo - Brazil Send a message via Skype™ to Tvidotto  

Old (#2)
If Valve decides to put it in the game, you've technically won.

Is there any rules against working on groups? Or does this have to be a solo thing only? Also, is it limited to just sets? Or can it be anything related to the character? Like wards and couriers? Does it have to be a full set, or if someone didn't have the time, at least contribute one item, like a weapon or armor piece? I have questions!
Portfolio - AndrewHelenek.com
Offline , polycounter, 1,031 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012, Location Knoxville, TN  

Old (#3)
Here's an idea!

We start the contest on Monday morning and assuming it's Mirana, since mounts are a bit of a bigger deal, we could make the contest go until the end of Feb? And every competition after that could be at the start of the month.

Just thinking out loud.

@Helenek if groups were good enough for the official Dota 2 contest I don't see why we shouldn't allow them
Offline , polycounter, 938 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Sydney Send a message via Skype™ to BrontoThunder  

Old (#4)
great questions

1 - open for teams of any size
2 - open for sets, solo itens, couriers, ward and annoucers!? =]

the idea is that we have some fun and bump some items, as we are going to do things for the same hero, even the guys that are starting will get some good informations on other works feedback and will share some info like color pallet and design style

will be a lot easier to give feedback since everyone on the competition will be working with the same character and we will be working on what the dota comunity wants =]

im adding a rules section on the first post
Offline , Moderator, 1,534 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location São Paulo - Brazil Send a message via Skype™ to Tvidotto  

Old (#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrontoThunder View Post
Here's an idea!

We start the contest on Monday morning and assuming it's Mirana, since mounts are a bit of a bigger deal, we could make the contest go until the end of Feb? And every competition after that could be at the start of the month.
+1 for this ^

And i Really like that this is a pretty casual layed back polycount "civil war" style contest, should be fun. And already over 1000 votes on the poll, nice one reddit!
Offline , polygon, 552 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Australia  

Old (#6)
Offline , vertex, 34 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#7)
Poll update

1st-Mirana with 20%

2nd-Keeper of the Light with 14%

3rd-Slark with 12%
Offline , triangle, 251 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011, Location In the darkness  

Old (#8)
Cool idea, i'll try to make something for this, considering i missed the dota 2 official contest! Btw, if Mirana wins i can guess we'll see tons of rides!
Offline , triangle, 359 Posts, Join Date May 2005,  

Old (#9)
Sounds fun, but I'm gonna be busy for a good while. If it catches on, I'll jump in when things clear up
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,849 Posts, Join Date Mar 2007, Location Leeds (UK) Send a message via MSN to Farfarer Send a message via Skype™ to Farfarer  

Old (#10)
Hehe, i'll give it a try if i manage to get enough time on my hands, hard for this familyman
Offline , polygon, 543 Posts, Join Date Sep 2012, Location Stockholm  

Old (#11)
I'm so up for this. Maybe i can finally get a set beyond making sketches of it :p
Offline , spline, 241 Posts, Join Date Feb 2012, Location Denmark  

Old (#12)
sounds very interesting, i think i´d give it a shot
Offline , polygon, 594 Posts, Join Date Jun 2011, Location Austria  

Old (#13)
In my opinion, at the end of each deadline we should have another community poll to decide the winner.
Offline , spline, 124 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010,  

Old (#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoqueDemon View Post
In my opinion, at the end of each deadline we should have another community poll to decide the winner.
that is a good idea, adding to the rules

Old (#15)
Damm if its mirana and I'm doing mirana now, does it count!? :p

Same if its slark and all the people doing slark right now make it count?
Offline , polycounter, 1,277 Posts, Join Date Sep 2007, Location Widgee, Australia  

Old (#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuxinamoon View Post
Damm if its mirana and I'm doing mirana now, does it count!? :p

Same if its slark and all the people doing slark right now make it count?
i think that is not a problem Anuxi

as long as it is in progress should count =]

Last edited by Tvidotto; 01-20-2013 at 02:05 PM..

Old (#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvidotto View Post
i think that is not a problem Anuxi

as long as it is in progress should count =]
Agreed. As long as the set is completed by the end of the month then it should count.
Offline , spline, 124 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010,  

Old (#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoqueDemon View Post
Agreed. As long as the set is completed by the end of the month then it should count.
Knowing Anuxi it will, just make a 2nd set, or a ward or a courier

Old (#19)
You guys are strange. I've actively avoided competition to maximize the potential of getting my stuff used in-game, not that it's worked out that well. Unfortunately, if you work on heroes without stuff Valve will drag their heels for 5 months and by then a dozen better Crystal Maiden sets will be on the workshop.
Kyle Parsons
Portfolio | Dota 2 Workshop
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,441 Posts, Join Date Mar 2009, Location Vancouver, BC Send a message via MSN to Frump  

Old (#20)
Seeing that Mirana is still ahead by 7% I made this for you all

A concept sheet

With room for Mounts and all

Old (#21)
I'm thinking I might give this month a miss. I've been struggling with a broken computer, I've only just fixed it, and I have an idea for another character that I've been dying to do.
Offline , triangle, 293 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location Sydney, Australia  

Old (#22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-ninja View Post
Seeing that Mirana is still ahead by 7% I made this for you all

A concept sheet

With room for Mounts and all
and room for some jokes and a "brazzers" logo =]

beeing serious now, nice one ninja

Last edited by Tvidotto; 01-20-2013 at 04:54 PM..

Old (#23)
guys, what about a newcomer winner? we can choose a winner among the guys that never submited anything to the workshop

i think its a good motivation to people start creating =]

Old (#24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frump View Post
You guys are strange. I've actively avoided competition to maximize the potential of getting my stuff used in-game, not that it's worked out that well. Unfortunately, if you work on heroes without stuff Valve will drag their heels for 5 months and by then a dozen better Crystal Maiden sets will be on the workshop.
I think you're looking at this the wrong way. These polycount monthly contests are to build practice, skill and a sense of community. Everyone may be having the same issues so everyone can help each other. If the contestants are lucky, they might even get their items into the game but with no guarantee.

The more you practice, the better you get. The better you get, the more chance of your items being accepted ingame.
Offline , vertex, 34 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#25)
It good also because we can see how different artists go about creating for the same hero. It can really help out to see how other tackle the same problem.
It'll be funnnnnnnn!
Offline , polycounter, 1,277 Posts, Join Date Sep 2007, Location Widgee, Australia