Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys,

Here is the part 2 (final one) of my grass tutorial.
    Hope you like it !

http://youtu.be/4CHCUViNNhU

if you have any feedback, don't hesitate !
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coontang polycounter lvl 5
    Can anyone tell me which output usage setting I would use to have it plug into the detail normal map slot in Toolbag? Or even provide a list of what all of the possible output settings would plug into. Thanks
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    NicolasW wrote: »
    Yes but I must admit it's a bit hidden..
    Open the bakers and select the "World Space Direction" baker. Then Switch the input direction to "From Texture" and select your world space normal map in the direction File field.

nolNEgS.jpg

thanks, nice! Now I can ditch Xnormal completely for the time being.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    Yes but I must admit it's a bit hidden..
    Open the bakers and select the "World Space Direction" baker. Then Switch the input direction to "From Texture" and select your world space normal map in the direction File field.

Hi Nicolas,

I tried your baking instructions and the result was an identical normal map so maybe i didn't understand correctly or it could be a language barrier.(I am also speaking fluent French so feel free to pm me with correct instructions).

I include the images :

world space normal map :

stacked_rock_lp_world_space_normals_zpsf5d898ee.jpg

normal map:

stacked_rock_nm_zpsb8493138.jpg

world space direction map:

stacked_rock_lp_world_space_direction_zpscf25c954.jpg

Regards Peter
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion can you post a pic of your 3d object?
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny wrote: »
    pixelquaternion can you post a pic of your 3d object?

Hi Vinny,

Unfortunately i am not allowed to show game asset but i will probably make a rough similar mesh just to show what i am trying to achieve.

Regards Peter
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i use Substance designer all the time to make tiling materials and it works fine, but i want to get a bit better at making procedural materials so i thought i would start off with a 100% procedural wood texture.

Im making it in black and white for now just to get the patterns down.
    As you can see im having troubble. Im getting the fine surface details but i still cant figure out how to make thoose large wood swirls.

I found a picture:
    wood-textures-high-quality-1.jpg

This is the current state of the graph, hope you can see whats going on.

Texture:
    UCjnMib.png

Graph:
    SYUaIZZ.png
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shamelessly reposting since it got buried at the bottom of the last page:

Here's hopefully a question with a quick answer.

After doing a bunch of projects, if I search for a phrase like "normal" or "height" (for example, searching for the normal-to-heightmap filter), I'll see all the normal or height maps I've baked in past packages/projects showing up in the results, even if they're not the currently active package or project. This obviously makes it increasingly more difficult to find the filter I'm searching for.

I'm baking to a location completely outside of the default Substance Designer material/project folders, so the results appear to be due to the link inside the sbs files (which ARE in the Substance Designer material/project folders).

For example: file:///C:/Users/<username>/Documents/SubstanceDesigner/<projectname>.sbs/Resources/brick_facade_normal/brick_facade_normal.tga shows up in results, even though that tga is actually in a completely different folder structure and only linked to the project.

There a way to exclude all of that from filter searches?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I can't repro this behavior on my side. Bitmaps linked or embedded in your .sbs should not appear in the list unless your substance is saved in a folder that is monitored by the library.

Make sure you didn't add such a folder in the Preferences, under the Project > Library tab.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    @Visceral

You can do that using the warp node and a low frequency input (such as the perlin noise).
    Graph here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi7xrzrbvzeluz6/wood_swirl.sbs?dl=0

aigIDr6.jpg
    67DsdjQ.jpg
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    EArkham wrote: »
    Shamelessly reposting since it got buried at the bottom of the last page:

Here's hopefully a question with a quick answer.

After doing a bunch of projects, if I search for a phrase like "normal" or "height" (for example, searching for the normal-to-heightmap filter), I'll see all the normal or height maps I've baked in past packages/projects showing up in the results, even if they're not the currently active package or project. This obviously makes it increasingly more difficult to find the filter I'm searching for.

I'm baking to a location completely outside of the default Substance Designer material/project folders, so the results appear to be due to the link inside the sbs files (which ARE in the Substance Designer material/project folders).

For example: file:///C:/Users/<username>/Documents/SubstanceDesigner/<projectname>.sbs/Resources/brick_facade_normal/brick_facade_normal.tga shows up in results, even though that tga is actually in a completely different folder structure and only linked to the project.

There a way to exclude all of that from filter searches?

Hi EArkham,

When you search at "root" level of the library, you'll get all compatible results.
    To only display results in "Filters", you'll need to select the group first.

In the case you have all your materials at the root level of your custom folder, you can uncheck the "Recursive" option in the "Paths added" list of your Project preferences. This way, the subfolders will not be displayed.

If you don't need the bitmaps of your material folder, you can use the library filter, and specify to only display "Graph" (instead of all). This way, you'll only get your Substances.

v0IrhxK.jpg
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Visceral

You can do that using the warp node and a low frequency input (such as the perlin noise).
    Graph here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi7xrzrbvzeluz6/wood_swirl.sbs?dl=0

aigIDr6.jpg
    67DsdjQ.jpg

Omfg you guys are amazing. Its so simple to me now.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    Make sure you didn't add such a folder in the Preferences, under the Project > Library tab.

This was the problem. Thanks.

Also, after looking at my organization, felt the need to do it better. Is there a way to move the sbs + resource folders without all the paths breaking? Seems like they break if I move just the sbs even if the resources remain in the same locations.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Been trying to perfect this procedural paint formula. I've got a system now instead of just random nodes, but results still need some refinement:

MKh7D67.jpg
    r8U4DDm.jpg
    G2X2CLn.jpg
    Z6xaLXo.jpg

The look isn't as good as the initial cliff imo:
    screenshot002.png
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys, I have a question -
    I need a node that'd take multiple image inputs and arrange them in a spritesheet manner, kinda like the tile generator but with a different image for each tile, where I could specify how many X and Y tiles on it. What would be the best approach for that?
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably an fx map with multiple image inputs - as far as efficiency goes.

If you're not too concerned about efficiency, you could blend 2 or three tile generators together and use random mask and invert mask (both parameters of tile generator) to have a variety of image inputs.

Nicolas also put this up recently:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/101976635949324187522/posts/DK2hdDNmBYw

Might be some help.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guy's,

Anyone experiencing problem with 3d model not showing in 3d view when drag&drop?

Often this problem occur when i am exporting from zbrush and as a dirty trick i just import it in max and then re export to SD and it work, unfortunately yesterday even my export from max didn't work at all.

I tried all the usual stuff, flipping the normals, checking mesh integrity etc and no matter what i do it still not showing in the 3d view!

I can load the OBJ from zbrush in all others app except SD, so please i have a lot of work ahead and would appreciate if someone can shed some light on this matter.

"EDIT" I just try the OBJ in xnormal and it is working perfectly fine.

"Edit" OK forget about it, it is my mistake i choose my OBJ in the wrong folder without UV on it.

Regards Peter
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    N83ds - I used the spec/gloss workflow. Just preferrence. Here are the flats for the wood material :-)

Floor_Wood_Panels_01_Flats_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Material - Sidewalk
    screenshot000.png
    You can get it here:
    http://substance.arvinmoses.com/product/sidewalk/

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL59Odk5ghk[/ame]
    Please let me know if you end up using it.
  • cataev serj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Newbie question - is there a way to move pixels like the painter does from 1 UV island to another without losing the tiling effect?
    ogRURf1.png
    PDXpE7l.png
  • JackDCaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackDCaron polycounter lvl 4
    cataev serj - I believe the explanation is because Designer is a 2D texturing program it does not take your UV seams into account. (I brought this up in the "features" thread as have some other ppl here).
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just for fun, here is a "Hama Head like" Substance I made.

Plug your image, and here you go :-) :

yoshi.gif

the sbsar is here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8c7MM5tjFpbWG1USGZSQzFzakk&authuser=0
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For none game, can I give Substance the high res model and work only on that without a low res?
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to recreate this texture now - http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=3362&PHPSESSID=4k913g8qc85p2cn91ki29dtci5 and I need some crits.

Here's what I've done so far:

yKFDbUy.jpg

The main issue I see is that metal in the reference is dark and mine is too shiny. I've used iron values, so I was wondering if they use a different metal in the photo or may be I should just eyeball it. Thoughts?
    DireWolf wrote: »
    For none game, can I give Substance the high res model and work only on that without a low res?

yes, Christophe Desse does just that - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gXq_6lAOec&quot;]1[/ame] and [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FL8jvvFDw&quot;]2[/ame]. You need to bake AO, world-space normal and curvature map to do this.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, it seems that I accidentally broke values for metal, here's how it looks now:

r2VWTdT.jpg

Any feedback is appreciated!
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DireWolf As long as it get UVs, you can work with it
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the answer guys!
  • red2blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posted my question in another thread, seems this was the wrong place :)
  • SebastianGomez3D
    Hey Guys!

I've been following this thread for quite a bit, a lot of good work coming from everyone of you guys. I've recently made an Art Station account where I have been putting all of my substance work and I'd like to share it with you guys to see what you think :) Thanks, C&C always welcome.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/sebastiangomez3d
  • SebastianGomez3D
    Hey guys!

Hopefully I don't double post since I am new to Polycount. I have been following this thread for quite some time and have been inspired by the work and collaboration between the artists. I have started a PBR Material library that I would like to share with you guys. As always C&C is welcome, Cheers :)

https://www.artstation.com/artist/sebastiangomez3d
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small tutorial I made to get the Hama beads effect :

http://youtu.be/DqsqZ98Y9wY
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sebastian - Hey these are super cool. Great job! How long was your typical turn around time?

@Vince - Awesome as always

@Redblue - I'll post on your thread

Added a new lamellar style armor on the site. I need to do some more character artist geared substances...

screenshot000.jpg

You can download it here:
    http://substance.arvinmoses.com/product/stylized-lamellar-armor/

It runs the following controls:
    Size
    Tile
    Color01
    Color02
    Metal Scruffing
    Dirt Amount
  • red2blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Arvin,

thanks a lot for your offer for help! You will help me a lot with this. I am following your work quite some time and it is impressive! Also on the Google+ group from Vincent.

Would like to ask you an additional question on the roof texture you got on the last page. How did you get this very nice looking overlap effect? I got the roof texture which comes with Painter and Designer from Gametextures, but they relay on a texture and are not procedual.

Thanks again.

Cheers
    Ingo
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!!! I've always wondered who you were on Polycount!
    Thank you for the compliments!

Okay - here is the approach I use -
    Multiply a gradient node on a shape node then tile it with blend settings to "Max"

Here is a section of the graph:
    iPK6Ktu.jpg
    For this one I do a double blend because I'm trying to get it to layer like lamellar armor.

Also regarding your wood I think something like this would help out.
    ddsSP8C.jpg
    It should give some of that notchiness that should be helpful in giving it a more worn look.
  • R_Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crosspost

Update on my cushion wall. I upped the amount of tiles on the material as well as added more of a pinch to the gap on the normal map. The major overhaul was treating the fade with more of a rubbed out look. I wanted it to have the feel of someone leaning on it everyday with some slight cracking, similar to an old faux leather or soft plastic.

VFMa8Yc.png
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got two questions

1)I've noticed that Blend node behaves unpredictably sometimes. For example it can output 2048 being relative to input while both inputs are 512
    2)Can I set resolution of few nodes with one control? For example I want my texture to change from 512 to 1024 in Unreal but I have 3-4 nodes which are parents and independent of each other, so I have to change all 4 of them to change my texture's resolution.

@R_Petersen I'd add more contrast to crevices between tiles. Or is it just 512 res? looks a bit blurry.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imported substance into engine for the first time. Now I need to make it look better.

X8IHL6L.png
    0k36Gno.png
    ezF7vIh.png
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished my old wood sidings:
    screenshot0001.jpg
    Get it here:
    http://substance.arvinmoses.com/product/old-wood-sidings-0-5/

Also doing a live stream today at 2PM CST. Will be covering how to create chainmail, simple rock, a quick overview of the hand painted style, and whatever else we've got time for.

You can watch it @ www.twitch.tv/arvinmoses
  • red2blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses wrote: »
    Hey!!! I've always wondered who you were on Polycount!
    Thank you for the compliments!

Okay - here is the approach I use -
    Multiply a gradient node on a shape node then tile it with blend settings to "Max"

Here is a section of the graph:
    iPK6Ktu.jpg
    For this one I do a double blend because I'm trying to get it to layer like lamellar armor.

Also regarding your wood I think something like this would help out.
    ddsSP8C.jpg
    It should give some of that notchiness that should be helpful in giving it a more worn look.

Hi Arvin,

thanks for your help. I will take a look tomorrow to how I can make it work. Btw have you recorded your live steam? I am not able to watch it live but I am super intessted.

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend!
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch man!
    You can catch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2GWywqRDKw&feature=youtu.be

It's not quite up yet.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, this might be a bug

SKUpI9q.png

OckDR1p.png
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Their are 2 modes of inheritance:
    - relative to input: takes the size from the previous node connected to the primary input (the one with a black dot)
    - relative to parent: takes the size from the "host" -> the graph in SD

Each node can have a different mode and can apply a multiplier to the inherited size (-1, -2.. +1, +2..etc)

You screenshot lacks some information.. The graph is probably set to absolute 2k, the histogram scan is set to "Relative to input -1/-1", so the previous node is probably 2k ?
    The blend is in 2K but how is it's size setup ? From what I see and if I assume their is no bug, it must be set to "relative to parent 0/0".

Nicolas
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, I'm being dumb here. I redid the graph from scratch and now I understand that being relative to parent means the node will be the size I set when I create a graph.
  • gel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gel polycounter lvl 7
    You guys make some great stuff with SD.

I would like to know if its possible to make a wall using different size stone,
    as shown in Pic?

Thanks
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People have been trying to do that for awhile now. There's a random tile node but I haven't really seen much with it.

I haven't really seenow anyone successfully pull that one of
  • cataev serj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone help me with answer?

I have made a substance of a rock material, and several scene lowpoly objects with baked highpoly difference normal map. For each of this objects I'm making a normal blend from substance parametric normal, and baked one.
    Is there a way to expose some parameter, so I can link baked normal map straight inside engine (In my case it is Marmoset)
    Any solution is appreciated.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I think what you want is to use a Color Image Input node (bottom of the space-bar menu) instead of a bitmap node so that you can replace your bakes at runtime.
    But in the case of Toolbag, I don't think it supports image inputs though.
  • cataev serj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    I think what you want is to use a Color Image Input node (bottom of the space-bar menu) instead of a bitmap node so that you can replace your bakes at runtime.
    But in the case of Toolbag, I don't think it supports image inputs though.

Thank you
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some new stuff from a commission. This one was fun!
    Y1ViXyK.jpg
    tCQA5kO.jpg
    xtrDik5.jpg