Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Substance Designer Work

I have been playing around in Substance Designer for a bit now ,and I wanted to start to organize my workflow and progress. And what better way then starting a thread?

For my first project in Substance I wanted to tackle the cryo-pod scene from the movie Interstellar.

This is the main reference I have been using as my overall feel for the surfaces.

details_cryo_01_large.jpg

The first texture I am working on is the ceramic tiles on the wall. They are the same as the floor tiles, however they contain more edge wear, scum, and water-stains.

EXDiXw4.jpg

NG9pVIL.png

ioMfxKz.png

D1OSbqE.png

xZawM9O.png

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice stuff. I like the subtle variation in the tiles, is that just some dirt?

The edge wear is pretty cool too - how did you end up having some tiles masked out entirely? Was it the luminance variation added as a mask?
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    That's pretty damn great. How long did it take?
  • R_Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the late reply, work has been kind of crazy. Thanks for the kind words as well.

Rick - Yes the subtle variation is sort of a dirt layer. It's a mixture of dirt and also a water stain pattern I made by warping a star burst pattern and then running it through a splatter node.

Masking out the edges was a combination of the luminance channel in the tile generator and also playing with the scale and scale variation.

Stirls - I have been working on it on and off over the past few weeks. If I combined the time I would probably say somewhere in the 20 hr range. As it is my first dip into Substance the beginning was a little rocky haha.
  • R_Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on my wall tile. I pushed the random tilt of the tiles up a bit and also upped the color and gloss value of the water stains to help them read better

o8x0k9c.png

DQ7rD0T.png

o4NhOcH.png

2vApZSV.png
  • R_Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also started work on a padded wall texture. The reference I am pulling from has the material with little wear, but I wanted to add a little bit of character to it. So I decided to rub away at some of the coating to break up the gloss. And in very limited locations I wore it away enough to expose the foam beneath it.

I feel that I have not quite yet got the billowy feel of the material down so that's next on my list. Any other comments or suggestions are welcome.

REF
    b8yB0Gw.jpg

OVsSWwP.jpg

SCREENS
    zDbFLAQ.png

x18pv0F.png

abUNHxy.png

qpYa14O.png
  • R_Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my cushion wall. I upped the amount of tiles on the material as well as added more of a pinch to the gap on the normal map. The major overhaul was treating the fade with more of a rubbed out look. I wanted it to have the feel of someone leaning on it everyday with some slight cracking, similar to an old faux leather or soft plastic.

VFMa8Yc.png
  • martygalinskas3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martygalinskas3d polycounter lvl 4
    this is great stuff, keep it up.