Home Technical Talk

My game asset creation learnings

So I'm completely new to game asset creation and my startup is trying to get into some game development here in India. So I, being the lead on the art side of the company, am facing a lot of problems on as we dive more into it. So I thought that instead of listing all my doubts here and there, I should list out all of it in one thread for better organization. I hope I'll find some good helping hands here and hope that some time down the line it proves to be a great resource for myself and others as well.
So if you guys would like to check out my work, head over to my work blog - http://bharatnag.tumblr.com

Here is a link to a recent thread I posted where I was facing some troubles with baking - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124843

Replies

• bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So for a start I would like to ask a really silly question.
    we talk of "LOW POLY" models for game but really how much??? I mean what should be the poly count? what factors determine it?
    To the best of my understanding it depends upon the end platform. As in console, pc or an IPad. Presently we are working on games for IPad and the limit we decided was near about 3k polys for the below posted character. But really how exactly should I decide how to go about this aspect as I need to give instructions to all my team mates in the art department.
    tumblr_mrp1ubODKL1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Should post this in pimping and previews section and polycount search your low poly question, I imagine there's a ton of threads about it in the general section
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya ok thanks there. Ill do a quick search
  • JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    I looked at the model in your thread. That model should be exactly 2,751 poly for best results. The other one on your site should be 4,238.

Just Kidding. There is no simple answer to your question. You need to think about the whole level or scene. How many triangles, textures, draw calls, etc can you have going on at once for your target platform and still run at your desired frame rate. That should give you a rough idea on the total budget. Then you divide up your budget from there. Depending what else you want in the scene the number can go way up or down.

But you probably shouldn't listen to me. I am not a real expert
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks a lot for the info JustColorado. I just wanted to have a generic idea about games for ios and android tablets and phones these days. Also the texture resolutions. And yes the thing you told me, im following the same approach as of now. Thanks once again :D.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I use Blender for my regular 3D work and have no idea so as how to create a cage mesh for baking inside blender. I used topogun to bake out some textures as it gives me a cage option to tweak around and I solved most of the problems that I was facing (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124843) with topogun. but it comes with its own little problems. the bakes look noisy and fragmented at some places. Its easy for me to go to photoshop and correct them but I want to know what might be the possible reasons for these artifacts.
    topogun%20bake%20problem.jpg
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also how many man weeks or how many days should be put into the timeline for complete character creation like the above? Full from sculpting to retopo to textures, how many days should it be dome in?
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress on the project
    tumblr_mrxi21eEHz1s3d03io2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mrxi21eEHz1s3d03io3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mrxi21eEHz1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    your normal map issues are most likely due to inverted faces on the low/high poly or the normals are facing the wrong way
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok another doubt. Is there any way you can make a low poly mesh (retopologised externally) to be the the lower most subdivision of a ZBrush model?

and is there any way to bake out matcaps from zbrush to externally retopologised mesh??
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game ready models starting to take shape. Just left with texture post work (removing the black artifacts that came with texture baking).
    Pilot - 2760 polys
    Helmet - 923 polys
    http://bharatnag.tumblr.com/

tumblr_mrzjh53xaP1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
  • JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    bharatnag wrote: »
    Hey thanks a lot for the info JustColorado. I just wanted to have a generic idea about games for ios and android tablets and phones these days. Also the texture resolutions. And yes the thing you told me, im following the same approach as of now. Thanks once again :D.

Get a sample game running in your target engine and look at the stats. That should be a good starting point. UDK comes with samples on those platforms, so does Unity Pro not sure about others.
  • JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    So I use Blender for my regular 3D work and have no idea so as how to create a cage mesh for baking inside blender. I used topogun to bake out some textures as it gives me a cage option to tweak around and I solved most of the problems that I was facing (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124843) with topogun. but it comes with its own little problems. the bakes look noisy and fragmented at some places. Its easy for me to go to photoshop and correct them but I want to know what might be the possible reasons for these artifacts.
    topogun%20bake%20problem.jpg

"Baking Inside of Blender". - Not the best option in my opinion. Try Xnormal it is free and it is awesome.

Topogun - Not the best option in my opinion. Try Zremesher it comes with 4r6 [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xiCSw7LXew"]ZBrush 4R6 New Feature: ZRemesh ( No More Retepology ) - YouTube[/ame] I found it much faster and easier to use
  • JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    Ok another doubt. Is there any way you can make a low poly mesh (retopologised externally) to be the the lower most subdivision of a ZBrush model?

and is there any way to bake out matcaps from zbrush to externally retopologised mesh??

I don't think using the lowest subdivision is the best route. Again try zRemesher. it comes with 4r6
  • JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    Also how many man weeks or how many days should be put into the timeline for complete character creation like the above? Full from sculpting to retopo to textures, how many days should it be dome in?

Different people here will have different opinions about this. If he is a main character, I would budget at least a month from concept to having a game ready skinned rigged character with a few props and ready for animation. For enemies and NPC's I would allow 1 to 2 weeks minimum.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Different people here will have different opinions about this. If he is a main character, I would budget at least a month from concept to having a game ready skinned rigged character with a few props and ready for animation. For enemies and NPC's I would allow 1 to 2 weeks minimum.

Hey thanks for the replies dear. Ya I kinda found myself a workaround with retopo and baking too. I tried Zremesher, Qremesher, all sorts of automatic retopology but It didn't work out for me. To the best of my understanding and what works best for me is to manually do the retopo for things that are to animated or infact rigged but use auto retopo for props and all other non-animated assets.

Thanks for that time constraint input. I really need to do some research on this.

For the normal maps, I found a work around too but still I have some doubts. I'll make a fresh post below these relating the same.

Again thanks a lot mate, I really appreciate it when you guys are so ready to help!!
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I resolved the problems using Xnormal's cage in the 3D viewer option. Also tweaked around some other parameters and am now getting close to perfect bakes with Xnormal. But I had some issues that made me a bit confused so please help me if you can guys.
    OK so firstly I tried loading the 3D viewer with both high poly and a low poly mesh, but the viewer refused to open up showing an error that the mesh has too many triangles that exceed the limit that Xnormal can handle.
    So in order to resolve this issue I exported out a slightly low res mesh from Zbrush and the viewer loaded this time. I built the cage and saved the meshes (.sbm files). So what exactly are these sbm files??
    Also then I replaced the "slightly low res mesh" in the high poly mesh section of Xnormal with the original High poly mesh and it didn't bake out good normals. They were crap actually.
    So to resolve this now, I used the low poly .sbm file as an external cage for the low poly mesh and it worked. I had perfect bakes.
    But I don't know exactly why did that work out. Is the lowPoly.sbm file actually the cage mesh file??? I hope you are getting what I'm trying to explain!!
    pilot_bake_body_normals.jpg
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress on the textures. Still, a lot of room for little tweaking here and there. Also, I realize that proportions are off a bit but it might be a little too late for those corrections. Anyways, will be posting the complete model with the helmet by tomorrow morning so follow along…. And do watch the video in HD, online videos tend to mess up the details.
    http://bharatnag.tumblr.com

[VV]73058238[/VV]
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    You're definitely posting in the wrong section mate. Ask a moderator to move this thread over to Pimping & Previews.

Tech chat is not aimed at the final modeling product, more the tools, scripts, materials, issues, shortcuts and overcoming technical challenges associated with modeling. For the model in situ, then go to pimp and previews and they'll give you crits and feedback.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're definitely posting in the wrong section mate. Ask a moderator to move this thread over to Pimping & Previews.

Tech chat is not aimed at the final modeling product, more the tools, scripts, materials, issues, shortcuts and overcoming technical challenges associated with modeling. For the model in situ, then go to pimp and previews and they'll give you crits and feedback.

ya sure ill do that :D thanks.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress on the assets -
    tumblr_ms8e8qckR81s3d03io1_1280.png
    Thought it would be a piece of cake but it took me long to just place the joints properly. I’m still working on weight painting and stuff.

tumblr_msaorsU2yH1s3d03io1_1280.png
    Modular game assets for the airfield in the game - Blender, Photoshop.

tumblr_msb3r2hy9a1s3d03io2_1280.png
    So tried sculpting and painting a generic terrain but I’m still not sure so as how to go about not making it repeat when seen from a distance. Sure it looks fine from this close but I’m sure its gonna cause trouble. Also, have no idea how would we go about stitching the edge vertices if we are to make it repeat infinitely.

tumblr_mscfhlcwuL1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
    Some more progress on the asset development for the game. Plane Hanger modular parts - Blender, Photoshop.

And can any one (moderator) please move this thread of mine to a relevant forum???
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We recently had some threads about time estimates. Some info from those:
    http://wiki.polycount.net/CategoryGameIndustry#Time_Estimates
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We recently had some threads about time estimates. Some info from those:
    http://wiki.polycount.net/CategoryGameIndustry#Time_Estimates

Hey! thanks for that info mate.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_msew4flCEQ1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_msew4flCEQ1s3d03io2_1280.jpg

Generic Buildings modular parts for the game, later to be assembled in Unity.

Blender, Photoshop

• bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more modular parts for final assembly in Unity.
    tumblr_msew4flCEQ1s3d03io3_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_msew4flCEQ1s3d03io4_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_msew4flCEQ1s3d03io5_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_msew4flCEQ1s3d03io6_r1_1280.jpg

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would rethink the scale of the tiles. If you take away the windows and doors, it looks more like a bathroom wall. Smaller tiles would help establish a sense of scale.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Eric thats a really good Input. Ill take care of it.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_msnpoy8Wrb1s3d03io4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_msnpoy8Wrb1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_msnpoy8Wrb1s3d03io5_1280.jpg
    tumblr_msnpoy8Wrb1s3d03io2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_msnpoy8Wrb1s3d03io3_1280.jpg

Some more progress on the game assets.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wood slats on your inner walls are a strange style choice. They end up being very busy and attention-getting, which makes the scene too busy for the eye. It would help to reduce the contrast of the black borders, so it's very close in value to the rest of the boards.

Also the boards going up the stair walls look a bit odd. It looks like the texture is just skewed, but this is very unnatural. The boards would almost never be cut this way. The player will sense the oddity of this, and it ends up looking like the level artist was lazy.

Same with the concrete tops on the bunker walls. Those black seams wouldn't continue across the tops of the walls.

Hope this helps.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wood slats on your inner walls are a strange style choice. They end up being very busy and attention-getting, which makes the scene too busy for the eye. It would help to reduce the contrast of the black borders, so it's very close in value to the rest of the boards.

Also the boards going up the stair walls look a bit odd. It looks like the texture is just skewed, but this is very unnatural. The boards would almost never be cut this way. The player will sense the oddity of this, and it ends up looking like the level artist was lazy.

Same with the concrete tops on the bunker walls. Those black seams wouldn't continue across the tops of the walls.

Hope this helps.

Ya I'm starting to realize what you mean Eric. Thats when the concept art comes in handy right? All these decisions have to made prior to actual asset development. Rt now Im working solely based on some online references.. But I should really get into concepting first. And can you please tell me what all creative decisions do a level designer make as far as building assets and assembling in concerned?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what all creative decisions do a level designer make as far as building assets and assembling in concerned?

Depends on the size of the team.

Usually the level designer is not an artist. Instead they are a game designer, so they usually are building a whitebox environment. Whitebox = the whole level is made with white or untextured primitives, nothing pretty. It's all about the playability of the level. When the designer is done, level artists come in and fill the layout with pretty art.

Sometimes the level designer is both a designer and an artist, so they do it all.

Sometimes the level designer works hand in hand with an artist, so the designer gets "lego" style modular pieces to build their levels with.

Usually though, the designer figures out the overall layout, and the artists figure out the architecture details, fx, lighting, etc.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that info Eric, I appreciate it.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mspno4XnxN1s3d03io1_1280.jpg

Quick low poly Gypsy models that would serve as secondary assets for populating the environment. I’m thinking of sculpting cloth folds for the soft cover of the one in the bottom right. Still to be textured.

Also I want some help with the windows of the jeep. I mean I have no idea how to texture them. will an alpha channel do the trick or will I have assign a new transparent material to the glass panes. What If I want to include all the texture information using 2k maps?? What is the work around.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Usually people use "alpha blending" to do transparency; that's a material setting. You can use an alpha channel to store the pixels that control how much transparency (dirty edges = more solid = brighter in the map).

Often all the alpha blended parts would use a separate material from the non-alpha parts. This is to improve performance, because alpha blending is often expensive to render.

The alpha channel can be expensive to use because at 2k resolution that adds a lot of memory overhead. You could store it in a smaller RGB texture, or you could pack it into one of the R or G or B channels.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_msx3f0tG9k1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
    Thought it would be easy to unwrap low poly hard surfaces but it took me the whole day. Gonna wrap up the textures too by morning.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And please can anyone tell me where would I find some good high res front side 3/4th face images for texturing(projection painting). I know 3d.sk but but if anyone knows some free resources?
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doubt.jpg

ok help me guys. I started assembling the assets for the first mission of the game inside unity and got some strange outcomes. When I applied the normal maps (bumped diffuse), I don't know why it turned as if it was some shiny metal. And I guess Ill have to redo the terrain cause the texture size upclose is too pixelated foe an fps. So how do we do it when we are working on a real scale environment? I applied a 4 k texture to the terrain but no use.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are many ways to solve terrain texturing, for example see http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAdvancedTextures.html

In Unity, you can use the free Strumpy shader editor to make your own shaders, it is similar to UDK's Material Editor, so you can get similar results to what's in that link.

The "Shininess" just looks like a large soft normal map.

Some more terrain techniques here
    http://wiki.polycount.net/CategoryEnvironmentTerrain
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are many ways to solve terrain texturing, for example see http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAdvancedTextures.html

In Unity, you can use the free Strumpy shader editor to make your own shaders, it is similar to UDK's Material Editor, so you can get similar results to what's in that link.

The "Shininess" just looks like a large soft normal map.

Some more terrain techniques here
    http://wiki.polycount.net/CategoryEnvironmentTerrain

thanks Eric for those links.. I really appreciate ur help every time I fsll somewhere. And how to correct those softness should s\i sharpen them up or what?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't sharpen. You can use a tilable normal map, along with a larger non-tiled normal map. See the first link for details. :)
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so I'm having some problems with Unity default shading system. I have to texture a terrain that I built externally in Blender but am stuck at so many different places. So this is what the problem is -
    1.sculpted a terrain mesh,
    2.decimated it to create a low poly mesh,
    3.baked out a normal map,
    4.tried out the 4 layered shader in unity that takes in 4 tillable textures and a splat map for texturing the terrain,
    q1 - where do I put my baked normal map?
    q2 - where do i put the 4 normal maps corresponding to the textures?

the solution I'm finding should have the independence to mix different shders so that each individual shader goes like this -
    shader1 - plugs in the large normal map
    shader 2 - plugs in the color, normal maps for 4 textures and a splat map (also a specular map).
    shader 3 - adds both shader 1 and 2.

Eric Chadwick suggested some very nice thing for this but its udk specific. I tried using the stumpy shader editor but its way too advanced for me, I mean its just been like 2 to 3 months that I got into gaming. The above solution that I suggested can very easily be done in 3d packages using nodes and I know the workaround but only if it could be done in unity somehow then only it would solve my problem.

Please guys help me.... thanks
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to use normal maps in your terrain shader, then you'll probably have to make a custom shader (that's where Strumpy comes in).

Nosslak mentioned Toms Terrain Tools in your other thread (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1909083&postcount=7) but when I looked at the manual, it seems that doesn't support normal maps.

I could make a Unity shader for you, as a freelance job. Send me a PM if you're interested.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok Eric, Ill still try something out and if nothing works ill contact you. Thanks again.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Untitled-1.jpg

So started set dressing today. just assembled the runway and some hangers out of the modular pieces. Any tips on lighting and making it come too life any effects or something? I mean I have to start with lighting and post effects so how to go about it when you are dealing with large terrains and sunlight?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Unity, light baking is the way to go. Some ideas here.
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Terrain_tutorial

For the roads, take a look at how they did these.
    How was the paint on the roads in this pack done?
    They used Strumpy of course. :) If you want to push Unity to make pretty things, you really need to make custom shaders. It's not all that hard actually. Lots of examples out there.

BTW, someone set up this custom Google search engine for Unity docs. Very helpful.
    https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001712401338047450041:csfhqk-trfa
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Unity, light baking is the way to go. Some ideas here.
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Terrain_tutorial

For the roads, take a look at how they did these.
    How was the paint on the roads in this pack done?
    They used Strumpy of course. :) If you want to push Unity to make pretty things, you really need to make custom shaders. It's not all that hard actually. Lots of examples out there.

BTW, someone set up this custom Google search engine for Unity docs. Very helpful.
    https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001712401338047450041:csfhqk-trfa

Thanks again Eric. Your concern as as always much appreciated.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so getting ahead with the scene assembly of the airbase, I encountered a problem again and as usual I need you help guys. check out this image - doubt123.jpg
    I don't know why the two panels show a difference in diffuse color(one is darker than the other) and also the gloss values even when both of the panels are sharing a common texture space. take a look at the bright metal at the bottom right.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mt471zOKly1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mt6yv5dISJ1s3d03io2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mt6yv5dISJ1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mt6yv5dISJ1s3d03io3_1280.jpg
    Had a log day assembling the assets for the airbase in the game. Still to work on the terrain texture and lighting. Follow along for more updates.

Operation Morning Glory - 8th October, 13

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so getting ahead with the scene assembly of the airbase, I encountered a problem again and as usual I need you help guys. check out this image -
    I don't know why the two panels show a difference in diffuse color(one is darker than the other) and also the gloss values even when both of the panels are sharing a common texture space. take a look at the bright metal at the bottom right.
    Is that two separate meshes, snapped together in Unity? This can happen when they have normal maps, because the tangents are not at the same angle across the seam.

What software did you use to make the meshes, and the maps? And what format are you using to import them into Unity?

Also check that the Texture Type on your normal map is set to Normal Map.
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Textures.html
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that two separate meshes, snapped together in Unity? This can happen when they have normal maps, because the tangents are not at the same angle across the seam.

What software did you use to make the meshes, and the maps? And what format are you using to import them into Unity?

Also check that the Texture Type on your normal map is set to Normal Map.
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Textures.html

Thanks Eric.
    1. yes they are different modular pieces snapped together in unity.
    2. I made these meshes in blender.
    3. Used Photoshop and NDo to make textures and Normal Maps.
    4. I'm importing them as .png files inside unity.