Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bn20 wrote: »
    SV1JO.png
    mask_1 blue
    QgiJs.png
    mask_2 blue

c8IEO.png

Ohh new fire thats handy! Managed to take off the a bit of the shine above, looks a little bit better now, still have no idea what I did :/

turns out it was a problem with the spec map

jNZHN.png

Does that match up enough with his other pieces so it doesn't stick out?

You really need to work on your spec map (mask2_R). If you look at any of the other default texture masks for Clinkz, the areas on his armor where the materials are made of cloth are almost black (about 5-12%) and have subtle gradients into some lighter gray tones. The portions that are golden are the opposite of this; they're practically 100% white.

Try something like that and you should get some nice contrast on your item, without it looking like it's made of plastic.
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik wrote: »
    It's still really glossy and the colors are muted because of it. I would drop the spec down as low as possible but still allow some specularity when the highlights are at their brightest.

Dropped some values significantly and this is the result

vT1Dd.png

looks more like the other bits now, gotta fix those horns though
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    You really need to work on your spec map (mask2_R). If you look at any of the other default texture masks for Clinkz, the areas on his armor where the materials are made of cloth are almost black (about 5-12%) and have subtle gradients into some lighter gray tones. The portions that are golden are the opposite of this; they're practically 100% white.

Try something like that and you should get some nice contrast on your item, without it looking like it's made of plastic.

took your advice and redid the whole thing

ab3rO.png

could there be an issue with my textures making it look glossy?

EKA02.png
    Does this still look out of place? I can't tell, been working on it too much, I need a break...
    (texture is WIP trying various things out)
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    If your mesh has little in the way of defined countours (aka it's a relatively smooth, organic shape), then the angles of incidence may be causing the rimlighting to wash out your details. Spent some time on the mask2's Alpha (scale exponent) and Green (rimlight) channels to bring out the contrast more.

This basic breakdown may help (pay attention to Valve's assets) - starts a 2:40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pTAxfvKwc&t=2m40s

It also helps to keep in mind that the test-preview lighting is really harsh at times.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bn20 Well it seems I'm not the only one having specular problems. I can only seem to get the right colorations in the night lighting.
    Also, I get the impression that my coloring is really plain and boring, but most of my other attempts to make it "busy" have come out all wrong. Anyone have any ideas as to how to make it less "meh" without going insanely over-detailed?
    EuxEs.png
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Crash course in character posing!

I need some feedback on my Workshop frame.. I think this may be too dramatic in lighting and too simple in frame? Items that are presented on the character always look more convincing to me. Low res render until I finalize it. Feedback needed, I want to submit this thing tonight.

IconSmall_zps1710a638.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @Rik I think the background is too busy and contrasty right now. I also think simple borders are best. You want the border to make your item stand out on the page, but not draw attention away from the item itself.

Teamed up with Marshak, a concept guy, for this one. You can see his concept here.

The poly budget and facial blends made it so that the belts on the face weren't viable but the hair on its own is still cool enough. Dem side burns.

Done with Pudge for now. Moving on to Queen of Pain stuff soon. :)

F70545D27FF7A338383B37B1C47210C1FC0FDDF1
  • Solution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally had some time to continue some work, made the lowpoly & slightly worked on the lowpoly's textures, any further suggestions?
    I'm not good with straps
    LhiR7.png
    http://p3d.in/S2Wha
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_maqh08ATEW1r43xj0o1_1280.jpg
    The Maniacal Miner set is now up on the steam workshop!

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=98095591
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    The Cape stands as the only heirloom recovered from the home once destroyed by that vicious gale years ago. Providing warmth, protection, and peace of mind, Lyralei’s Cape of Currents serves a constant reminder that the wind will always have her back

CapeofCurrents_Icon_zps456c04d4.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98101044

First item shipping out! Feel free to Upvote if you like it.
  • AcidBurn3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone need help with anything? Got time to do anything :D
  • AcidBurn3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Cape stands as the only heirloom recovered from the home once destroyed by that vicious gale years ago. Providing warmth, protection, and peace of mind, Lyralei’s Cape of Currents serves a constant reminder that the wind will always have her back

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98101044

First item shipping out! Feel free to Upvote if you like it.

Upvoted :)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    thats a good example for everyone here, dont rush on posting and spend some time on the beauty shot, that really matters...

You make a great point Tvidotto, i recently released a few items, rushed the beauty shots and it really had a big impact on the reception of the items. I updated them, but once they have been pushed down on the weekly popular list and fallen off the front page of new items its pretty hard to recover.

@Rik - nice work!

@Hawt Koffee - quick turn around on that release, i like that you gave him a pipe :)

@frump - i like it better without the straps, and would totally get him this hair.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    JyE6J.jpg
    Okay here's my real Doom sword haha, I uploaded a version last night but instantly didn't like it and once I saw it with the flame particles I knew I could do better so here it is!

For reference, here is my last version:
    JRRmt.jpg
  • AcidBurn3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JyE6J.jpg
    Okay here's my real Doom sword haha, I uploaded a version last night but instantly didn't like it and once I saw it with the flame particles I knew I could do better so here it is!

For reference, here is my last version:
    JRRmt.jpg

New version does look better. How many polygons?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    324 quads (the limit being 350)

I had to make it all one mesh, breaking up those teeth just added way too much to the polycount.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Really like that new version much more than the old one, upvote! . Mind you posting some wires? :D
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of a success, i managed to get a custom particle in the viewer by using the old style with extraction to dota test main folder, made a new particle using pugnas default particle system, added some arcs and twisting axis, the screenshot does not show that clearly but it works. Now i just need to be able to get the controlpoint to stick to the small stone instead of pugnas default controlpoint.

Ldwbm.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus Sure thing!
    nbZBp.png
    NUIZw.png
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice call on updating that sword Bronto, and love the gradients going on in your textures.

Also i see you mention quads instead of tri in your requirements above? i hit a nice red error message if i dont work with a tricount on these.

@paskie - would love to see a write up when you have the entire process down. Im yet to fiddle with the particles in dota but wouldnt mind giving them a go with the help of a starter guide.
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fhMsJ.png

Finally got this to my liking. Click-able :)

Big thanks to everyone who helped me out
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Also i see you mention quads instead of tri in your requirements above? i hit a nice red error message if i dont work with a tricount on these.

Whoa, really?

I just assumed at first that polycounts given were in triangles but as I started making more stuff I stumbled into the fact that I was able to use x amount of quads so I just assumed that's what they mean by polygons.

My sword is 492 triangles and both the LoD1 limit and LoD0 limit is 350.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, really?

I just assumed at first that polycounts given were in triangles but as I started making more stuff I stumbled into the fact that I was able to use x amount of quads so I just assumed that's what they mean by polygons.

Yeah although im finding not all of the limits are consistent (differs on the website, source and editor)

Scuse the hasty nasty example

tricount_example.jpg
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    So,wind's cloak is one-sided in 3dmax?
    How do we go around it?
    Extrude to get faces on both sides?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    bn20 wrote: »
    SV1JO.png
    mask_1 blue
    QgiJs.png
    mask_2 blue

c8IEO.png

Ohh new fire thats handy! Managed to take off the a bit of the shine above, looks a little bit better now, still have no idea what I did :/

turns out it was a problem with the spec map

Does that match up enough with his other pieces so it doesn't stick out?

good news is that you can improve a lot your texture

your masks are just grey, in a rgb enviroment it means that you are using all the maps for each stroke

you should work on each map separatedly, because they work a lot different

here are my masks for the last courier
    17wdq
    17wdt
    17wdA
    17wdG

hope that helps

Crash course in character posing!

I need some feedback on my Workshop frame.. I think this may be too dramatic in lighting and too simple in frame? Items that are presented on the character always look more convincing to me. Low res render until I finalize it. Feedback needed, I want to submit this thing tonight.

IconSmall_zps1710a638.jpg

if i may suggest, take the border off and make your bockground not so pixelated, you can get the image again or give it a blur

the image is really nice, well done =]
    you could create a light at the left up corner of the image a little on the back of the char to create a rimlight and stand the character from the background, can be a directionnal light without shadows
    Starcofski wrote: »
    @bn20 Well it seems I'm not the only one having specular problems. I can only seem to get the right colorations in the night lighting.
    Also, I get the impression that my coloring is really plain and boring, but most of my other attempts to make it "busy" have come out all wrong. Anyone have any ideas as to how to make it less "meh" without going insanely over-detailed?
    EuxEs.png

you can study the original one and get some details from there

also some passes on multiply/screen over would help like
    -occlusion
    -gradient (same as the valves texture guide)
    -lightbake
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »
    How do we go around it?

a quick and dirty fix for that is just copy the mesh and invert the normals

now you have a twosided cape =]
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lenny/Bronto - Read this:
    Mark.N wrote: »
    Lol, I had a whole block of text typed up to talk about modifying your item budgets, but Paskie beat me to it ages ago. So here's his post to refresh your memories...
    Paskie wrote:
    Check the npc_hero.txt and put in the right polybudget and texturelimitations from the dota2 technical requirements.

You'll find that file under dota/scripts/npc.

Just go into that file, ctrl+f doombringer (or whomever), and change the values as you need.

@bn20 - I still think your purple is off, it's far too light, and you need some shading. Either strengthen your AO map by adding a second copy on top of the original and adjust opacity, or bake out a point light map to get some stronger shading.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Sup Gents, started to do some texturing for my axe first time doing any sort of hand painted work, what do you guys think?

FNgbr.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay! uv ready!

17zhX

im doing something different this time, im scaling down the resolution on the bottom parts of the model

here is an image of the two models overlaping

17qLq
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, it's really hard to get the particles in place as you see :D Can't seem to find the right alignment. Thats four different particles and not one is even close. I'll be back....

DMjHS.jpg
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    yay! uv ready!

17zhX

im doing something different this time, im scaling down the resolution on the bottom parts of the model

here is an image of the two models overlaping

17qLq

Looking awesome man!

EFQwP.png

New javelin for huskar, thoughts?
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    I'm sure it's been asked before, but how do we compile to get jiggle bones to work properly? I've got something that needs to move like clothe but it won't compile in the in game compiler. Thanks in advance!
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure what else I can do with the colour map for this axe, It seems a little dull but Axe is a pretty dull looking hero.

CK5MV.jpg
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    4evra wrote: »
    How do we go around it?

Wind's original cape is 1 sided, and 350 / 250. However, Valve has said that they don't want us using 2 sided materials and so if we want surface to show up, we need to add polys there.

I modeled the outside of my cape and then put a Shell modifier on it, then deleted whatever polys I didn't need.
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone,

I finally was able to get my item accepted into the dota model viewer, but now after binding my weapon to the joint, the object is floating in the air away from the hero. I have tried moving the pivot point to match the joint and attempted to scale the model up, but to no avail. I am using maya 2012 just a heads up. Thanks in advance.

16geeja.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mark - thanks!

@Ex4000 - looking good. Its hard to tell now but your color values are looking bright, once you start testing your _mask files you might find it blows out your specular.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa, really?

I'm actually pretty certain it's 350 triangles not quads... even though the importer accepts up to 350 quads everything on the technical requirements page says triangles. Such as 3,000-4,000 triangle limit for lod1 for an entire character: http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements . Considering heroes like templar assassin have a 1250 limit for 1 piece of equipment... if that was a 1250 quad limit that would be 2500 triangles right there.

If anyone can confirm it's actually a quad limit I would be ecstatic, I've been killing myself playing it safe by making sure my models have fewer tris than the max polys.

Does anyone have an accepted item that went close to the limit using quads not tris?
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh21 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I finally was able to get my item accepted into the dota model viewer, but now after binding my weapon to the joint, the object is floating in the air away from the hero. I have tried moving the pivot point to match the joint and attempted to scale the model up, but to no avail. I am using maya 2012 just a heads up. Thanks in advance.

16geeja.jpg

Im not sure if its works for maya but

Reset the xform.
    Snap the pivot to the origin.
    Make sure you have only the bones you need skinned to the item.

Lennyagony wrote: »
    @mark - thanks!

@Ex4000 - looking good. Its hard to tell now but your color values are looking bright, once you start testing your _mask files you might find it blows out your specular.

Im going to work on the normal and specular today and ifs its to much I can always tone the colour down.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually pretty certain it's 350 triangles not quads... even though the importer accepts up to 350 quads everything on the technical requirements page says triangles. Such as 3,000-4,000 triangle limit for lod1 for an entire character: http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements . Considering heroes like templar assassin have a 1250 limit for 1 piece of equipment... if that was a 1250 quad limit that would be 2500 triangles right there.

If anyone can confirm it's actually a quad limit I would be ecstatic, I've been killing myself playing it safe by making sure my models have fewer tris than the max polys.

Does anyone have an accepted item that went close to the limit using quads not tris?
    My Bounty Hunter mask got accepted into the game and it's 340 quads with a limit of 350 polygons.

In fact out of my whole Bounty Hunter set which was accepted into the game every piece gets close to the given limit while going way over with triangles. If it goes a single quad over (and I've tried) it won't work inside the importer, I'll get the error saying the polycount is too high.

Unless I've done something magical with the importer it seems to be quads; I've done it with my items for Doombringer, Pudge, Naga and Bounty Hunter and they all work fine.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but how many tri were your examples? could just be you have your models mostly tried up and its under the triangle limit even when counting quads.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm real confused.
    6tqCH.png
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to stop tempting fate and just start working with triangles from now on I think, I'm still really confused though.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just go by the tri count, Isn't Doom's 200?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    350 for both levels of detail.

Anyway, here's what I'm working on now;
    yT3FP.png
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    350 for both levels of detail.

Anyway, here's what I'm working on now;

Yeah that is a little confusing Bronto, cheers for discussing it though was worth going over :).

And i like where that bugs going, i was toying with the idea of doing a collection of insect additions, but ended up with a huskar dagger in the works, somehow lol.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Josh21 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

16geeja.jpg

Same issue here. Which skeleton are you using for reference, the decompiled one from the game or the one from the website? Also, Z up or Y up?
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The in-game compiler not only counts it's polygons as triangles, but it also uses the LOD1 budget, not LOD0. Point in case, the in-game compiler needs some refinement to get the proper budgets and have it match up with what's written on the workshop's website.

Just edit your script if you need a higher budget, or even if you just want to take beauty shots with high-res textures.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question what can we do with smoothing groups? Iv read somewhere that you cant use to many.
  • Solution
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My axe in the workshop test, I think its done except for maybe some specular issues its hard to tell though. Thoughts?

Nlqjc.jpg