Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    RaYfIre wrote: »
    working on pudge set (hook,hair and offweapon)
    ioADN.jpg
    i need some one to texture them.im not so good at texturing u can check out my items.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198052507578/myworkshopfiles/?appid=570

Ray, I'd be interested in texturing. Send me a PM
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    So you bound your geo directly to the imported skeleton ?
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »

Granted this is Max2011, but I always skin my geo to the skeleton that is imported from the base .SMD to try and avoid any hierarchy issues that may arise.

@AcidBurn - Give RenderHJS' texTools a try. His UV toolkit is far superior to the stock one in max.

http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Spudnik wrote: »

I'm not sure what you mean by bound. I put a Skin modifier on the mesh and Added all the bones that were in the original cape. At one point I used the Link tool to attach the cape to the root bone, but this had no effect and so I undid that.

Add Bones
    Select mesh only
    Export Selected (mesh only) as .FBX with Lenny's suggested settings.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    AcidBurn3r wrote: »
    Hey there guys, so i recently started modelling a weapon for Phantom Assassin. Still a model, no textures just yet. Unfortunately, i got Max12, making me unable to UV map using texporter and stuff.:\ Anyways here it is. Anyone up for a UV map?

PM me and I'll unwrap it.

I'm now getting the same bone error I got last night, while importing the exact same un-altered FBX files. I'm going to point my finger at the DOTA Compiler, since these same files worked last night.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Rik wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by bound. I put a Skin modifier on the mesh and Added all the bones that were in the original cape. At one point I used the Link tool to attach the cape to the root bone, but this had no effect and so I undid that.

Add Bones
    Select mesh only
    Export Selected (mesh only) as .FBX with Lenny's suggested settings.

You have to export the mesh and the bones it's skinned to or else you'll get that error. It shouldn't really work at all without the bones, to my knowledge.
  • BC_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BC_
    Hi, I'm new to these forums and new to 3d modeling, I've been reading some of the posts in this thread and i must say that it has really helped me put together these two items. So for that I am grateful to you all. Anyways, I managed to get these 2 items on the workshop. I would appreciate any feedback on them, thx :)

Pudge's Gruesome Grapple
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97154442
    render4_blood.jpggameviewpic1.jpg

Pudge's Scrap Iron Bracer
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97517968
    gameviewpic3.jpggameviewpic2.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to you who got your items in! Saw some of your stuff posted here at Cyborgmatts blog. http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/09/dota-2-19th-september/
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    just had to jump on the Pudge bandwagon and give him a little love

pudge_tender_weapon01.jpg

pudge_tender_weapon02.jpg

There is so much awesome in this thread guys, im away for a day and there are pages of them. Just wanted to say nice work all around, always great to check out everyones creations :)
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to shelve my Chaos Knight weapon until Valve add him to the requirement page, As Iv not done much modeling I started simple so I made an Axe for Axe, Im going for a cursed look, Thoughts opinions?

oRATt.jpg

Does anyone know which bones I need to use for Axe's weapons? The model isn't skinned.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex4000 wrote: »

Does anyone know which bones I need to use for Axe's weapons? The model isn't skinned.

Nice axe you have there, its just the one bone axe_1
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Nice axe you have there, its just the one bone axe_1

Cheers man, is there anyway to preview it working with Axe's animations?
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Cheers man, is there anyway to preview it working with Axe's animations?

Go through the submission process through the DOTA Workshop (through the game itself) and it will let you preview the item with each animation before officially submitting it.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go through the submission process through the DOTA Workshop (through the game itself) and it will let you preview the item with each animation before officially submitting it.

Hmmmm

KCKz3.jpg

I put the bone where he would hold it with his left hand, should it be his right?
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmm

KCKz3.jpg

I put the bone where he would hold it with his left hand, should it be his right?

You should be using whichever bone, in this case axe_1, the standard weapon is skinned to inside of the provided .SMD file from the workshop's website.

Load up Axe's model .SMD, position your object so that it's as close as possible to the default item, reset your xforms, move your pivot to the origin, and skin it to the proper bone.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    BC_ wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to these forums and new to 3d modeling, I've been reading some of the posts in this thread and i must say that it has really helped me put together these two items. So for that I am grateful to you all. Anyways, I managed to get these 2 items on the workshop. I would appreciate any feedback on them, thx :)

Pudge's Gruesome Grapple
    render4_blood.jpggameviewpic1.jpg

Pudge's Scrap Iron Bracer
    gameviewpic3.jpggameviewpic2.jpg

hey man, congrats on finishing them

your first item appear a little without detail on the texture, can you post your UV? when can help you getting more res on that =]
    just had to jump on the Pudge bandwagon and give him a little love

pudge_tender_weapon01.jpg

pudge_tender_weapon02.jpg

There is so much awesome in this thread guys, im away for a day and there are pages of them. Just wanted to say nice work all around, always great to check out everyones creations :)

hahahahaha
    great idea! really liked it =]
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    First of all, I'm extremely new to 3d modeling. Excluding some basic tutorials this is the fourth model I've ever made (the other 3 are in my workshop) and I'd like to personally thank everyone that's been contributing to this thread. I've been lurking the past few months and without your help I'd be completely lost. Thank you all so much!

This is the first item I've made I felt was worthy of being posted in here, hope you all like it =)

Workshop Link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97606248

Cover4.jpg4.jpg
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    You should be using whichever bone, in this case axe_1, the standard weapon is skinned to inside of the provided .SMD file from the workshop's website.

Load up Axe's model .SMD, position your object so that it's as close as possible to the default item, reset your xforms, move your pivot to the origin, and skin it to the proper bone.

Thanks for the help but now im getting the "couldn't find any bones" error.
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ionic wrote: »
    how you fix problem with dager position? =)

turns out it was fine to import with the setting i was using but i was changing the axis which caused it.

Any ideas on how I can improve this?

XceHx.png

SfPJS.png

Whats the best way to get small detail like scratches to show up more prominently?

SPLOT.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bn20 wrote: »
    turns out it was fine to import with the setting i was using but i was changing the axis which caused it.

Any ideas on how I can improve this?

Whats the best way to get small detail like scratches to show up more prominently?

hey

to get more details you need to make the best use of your iv map, you can post it so we could help with some suggestions

about the overall texture, did you used the mask1 ans mask2? you could study the original texture to get it working better with the rest of the model

---

ok guys, some update on the courier

first is a paintover that my girlfriend made on the old silhouette. That was a huge improvement
    16ZdN

im thinking every minute "why i always complicate everything"

16YVU
    16YUK

my problem now is that is the same character with different models and they will share the same texture, i cant put both entirely on the same uv so i will need to reuse some parts like the head, the hip area and back legs

the problem will be the seams on all the maps, the normalmap will give me headaches to match, i will spent a lot more time texturing this time..

but im really liking this model, im a little tired of cute things =]

the rings on the back will be animated, i will try the cloth just to complicate a little more

on the flying version the feet will be grabbing the weapons, not like its now
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This bone error is driving me mad. Iv skinned axe_1 to the weapon imported it using both fbx and smd. Am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is what iv got, Iv reset the xform, centered the pivot and skinned "axe_1" to my Axe and Iv put the Axe where the default one was.

Iv exported it with and without the bone in .smd and .fbx

3Tg5r.jpg

Is it just a 3dsmax/dota2 problem?
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    hey

to get more details you need to make the best use of your iv map, you can post it so we could help with some suggestions

about the overall texture, did you used the mask1 ans mask2? you could study the original texture to get it working better with the rest of the model

---

ok guys, some update on the courier

first is a paintover that my girlfriend made on the old silhouette. That was a huge improvement
    16ZdN

im thinking every minute "why i always complicate everything"

16YVU
    16YUK

my problem now is that is the same character with different models and they will share the same texture, i cant put both entirely on the same uv so i will need to reuse some parts like the head, the hip area and back legs

the problem will be the seams on all the maps, the normalmap will give me headaches to match, i will spent a lot more time texturing this time..

but im really liking this model, im a little tired of cute things =]

the rings on the back will be animated, i will try the cloth just to complicate a little more

on the flying version the feet will be grabbing the weapons, not like its now

Seems my masks are bugged as nothing I do to them seems to change anything :/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97778886&searchtext=

It has now been Submitted! Thanks for all the advice from you awesome polycounters!
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Sketched some ideas for a Warlock set while at work today.

His lore has a big emphasis on books/tomes/reading so I want to incorporate that into his staff. I'm thinking an antique-looking wooden podium as the staff and platform, with several tomes on top bound to the podium by leather straps.

Or I could replace his lantern with a stack of books hanging from the leather strap, letting it swing to and fro to reuse the lantern bones.

WarlockStaff_zpsa9318afc.jpg
  • BC_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BC_
    hey man, congrats on finishing them

your first item appear a little without detail on the texture, can you post your UV? when can help you getting more res on that =]

hey, thx. these are my UV's they're probably terrible form a technical and artists standpoint, but I just tried to get my head around the whole concept of UVW unwrapping. It worked on the model and that's really all my goal was. I'm not exactly great at texturing in photoshop either so the quality sort of shows that.

grue_hook_color.png
    bracer_color.png
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ex4000 - sounds like your doing everything right and the screengrab looks ok. The only few things that comes to mind are, make sure you have only the axe_1 bone and the model both selected and then do export selected. If its still a problem try deleting all the bones and doing a fresh import/skin.

@Rik - nice concept!

@Tvidotto - looking good man, i like the paintover and thos piercings already look painful.

@mrpresident - your 4th model! outstanding :thumbup:
  • WarlockPsychologist
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    @Ex4000 - sounds like your doing everything right and the screengrab looks ok. The only few things that comes to mind are, make sure you have only the axe_1 bone and the model both selected and then do export selected. If its still a problem try deleting all the bones and doing a fresh import/skin.

@Rik - nice concept!

Thanks for the feedback, and for typing that out for Ex4000. I got my cape to compile again.

Unless I notice something last minute, this is the version that will be submitted.

Cape_Wind_zpscb7c4726.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik! That concept is awesome! Looking forward to see the final result on that one.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Rik - nice concept!

@Tvidotto - looking good man, i like the paintover and thos piercings already look painful.

Thanks for all your help, iv tried reimporting the smd many times, Im tempted to download Maya just to see if its max being buggy.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good news! It seems like the test client now has particles enabled in the itemviewer! Also, meepo downloadlink is now working :poly142:
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I fixed the problem, Basically every time I do a new export I have to restart my pc otherwise Dota2 doesn't like it. Simple but annoying, Thanks for assistance guys.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ex4000 - great to hear you have it working, you might want to try just restarting dota instead of your entire computer, it does have some issues with not always updating.

@Paskie - thanks for the heads up!

@Bronto - looking pretty shit hot :thumbup:

@Rik - i like it, woodsy, iconic, good stuff.

@WarlockPsychologist - nice solid set, i particularly like the texture work on the top of the staff. Really great gems too.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Thanks for all your help, iv tried reimporting the smd many times, Im tempted to download Maya just to see if its max being buggy.

Try exporting as an .FBX? Anytime I try to import .SMD, DOTA crashes and throws out a nodde id error. Lenny's settings for .FBX export worked like a charm.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Paskie - That's awesome. I checked it out and that's definitely the case. Have you tried to import your Pugna weapon yet using a modified itemtest_qc_template?[EDIT] Huh, seems like any weapon you import with ogre_magi has his fire particle effect, whether or not you want it.

@Bronto - I remember seeing something awesome in that post last night, why remove it?

@Warlock - Great set! Up-votes all around

@Rik - The cape turned out stellar and it fits her very well, nice work! I'm also looking forward to that warlock staff

Lol, I had a whole block of text typed up to talk about modifying your item budgets, but Paskie beat me to it ages ago. So here's his post to refresh your memories...
    Paskie wrote: »
    Check the npc_hero.txt and put in the right polybudget and texturelimitations from the dota2 technical requirements.

You'll find that file under dota/scripts/npc.

Also, and I know Tvidotto is doing this with his couriers but for hero items it may be different, has anyone managed to re-skin any of the default items? I've done it in a manner you would expect, renaming all the files and references and just placing them in the proper locations, but that doesn't seem to work. Is there something else that needs to be edited other than just adding a file, say phantom_lancer_weapon.mdl (and all the others) to dota/models/heroes/phantom_lancer, in order to overwrite the default and use a custom skin? To the point, I'm trying to find a way to define bones so that we can use cloth on custom objects, rather than just objects that already had it (such as Windrunner's cape). Part of me thinks I need to re-compile the entire hero to get this to work...
  • AcidBurn3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there guys,
    A couple of days ago i posted an axe for phantom assassin, well im back with the textures but i have a teeny weeny problem. TOO MANY POLYS. 900 poly around about, only allowed 500 :/ cant be bothered to start all over again :poly122: Anyways here it is. Tell me if you would buy this <3so_far_so_good.jpg
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there guys,
    A couple of days ago i posted an axe for phantom assassin, well im back with the textures but i have a teeny weeny problem. TOO MANY POLYS. 900 poly around about, only allowed 500 :/ cant be bothered to start all over again :poly122: Anyways here it is. Tell me if you would buy this <3so_far_so_good.jpg

Post a picture with your wire-frames laid on top of the model so we can tell you what and where to optimize.

My guess would be the elliptical holes are eating away at your budget. You should probably just texture them on or reduce their roundness significantly.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Mark.N - I'm reworking the blade a bit and plan on re-uploading it once the patch hits tomorrow and particles work in the importer :D
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97778886&searchtext=

It has now been Submitted! Thanks for all the advice from you awesome polycounters!

man, dont rush on that! people will never return to your item and the first impression matters a lot

my suggestion to you is to get those masks working before submitting

make it private and make it better! =]
    it doesnt matter if your model is awesome, people will vote based on what they see on the workshop page

@Rik - nice concept!

Painful! i like that =] better then " its so cute i wanna die" hahaha
    First of all, I'm extremely new to 3d modeling. Excluding some basic tutorials this is the fourth model I've ever made (the other 3 are in my workshop) and I'd like to personally thank everyone that's been contributing to this thread. I've been lurking the past few months and without your help I'd be completely lost. Thank you all so much!

This is the first item I've made I felt was worthy of being posted in here, hope you all like it =)

Workshop Link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97606248

Cover4.jpg4.jpg

its look a little fragile for a sword that size, maybe you could increaze the radius of the grip part
    Sketched some ideas for a Warlock set while at work today.

His lore has a big emphasis on books/tomes/reading so I want to incorporate that into his staff. I'm thinking an antique-looking wooden podium as the staff and platform, with several tomes on top bound to the podium by leather straps.

Or I could replace his lantern with a stack of books hanging from the leather strap, letting it swing to and fro to reuse the lantern bones.

WarlockStaff_zpsa9318afc.jpg

nice idea!
    Thanks for the feedback, and for typing that out for Ex4000. I got my cape to compile again.

Unless I notice something last minute, this is the version that will be submitted.

Cape_Wind_zpscb7c4726.jpg

awesome graphics =]
    @Paskie - That's awesome. I checked it out and that's definitely the case. Have you tried to import your Pugna weapon yet using a modified itemtest_qc_template?[EDIT] Huh, seems like any weapon you import with ogre_magi has his fire particle effect, whether or not you want it.

@Bronto - I remember seeing something awesome in that post last night, why remove it?

@Warlock - Great set! Up-votes all around

@Rik - The cape turned out stellar and it fits her very well, nice work! I'm also looking forward to that warlock staff

Lol, I had a whole block of text typed up to talk about modifying your item budgets, but Paskie beat me to it ages ago. So here's his post to refresh your memories...

You'll find that file under dota/scripts/npc.

Also, and I know Tvidotto is doing this with his couriers but for hero items it may be different, has anyone managed to re-skin any of the default items? I've done it in a manner you would expect, renaming all the files and references and just placing them in the proper locations, but that doesn't seem to work. Is there something else that needs to be edited other than just adding a file, say phantom_lancer_weapon.mdl (and all the others) to dota/models/heroes/phantom_lancer, in order to overwrite the default and use a custom skin? To the point, I'm trying to find a way to define bones so that we can use cloth on custom objects, rather than just objects that already had it (such as Windrunner's cape). Part of me thinks I need to re-compile the entire hero to get this to work...

didnt get well whats the problem

are you guys trying to replace an item or reskin?
    good and bad news, now the test client loads random itens on the hero, if you guys are trying to replace a weapon to test in game that will make it hard to get the right one...
    Hey Tvidotto:

Please tell me how its possible to check the items ingame ! Thanks in advance.

Like your dragon.

wow, almost didnt see your post, sorry

what i do is replace the model on the dota test client

as i said replaying to the MarkN post, now it load random itens, tested it today, so for a weapon will be alittle hard to test, im not sure if we can select the weapon, im almost sure that not

to replace a item you need to decompress the pak1 file with the gcfscape program, just decompile on the same folder, it is lika a rar file

after that you need to delete the pak file or rename it to the cheat the engine and force it to open the decompressed files

after an update you need to delete or rename the pak file again

---
    Wow, that post will be huge =]
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

after that you need to delete the pak file or rename it to the cheat the engine and force it to open the decompressed files

after an update you need to delete or rename the pak file again

Oh I see, so what you're saying is that as long as the .pak file is still there it will take precedence over any modded, un-pak'd files. That helps a lot, thanks.

Also, yeah I think first impressions matter quite a bit. I'm fairly sure I took a good hit to my ratings since I had posted my first item in iterations (hell version one was like 25% positive 75% negative, now it's the opposite after four revisions).
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there guys,

The problem is that the holes in the weapon have used way to many polys, you have to take into account the size of this weapon as well,the holes won't be as visible as the low-poly edge that you have.

What you should do is go back and take out a ton of polys from the holes and if you have any spare polys left use them to curve the blade more giving it a nicer silhouette.
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can help you acid for some %%. I am trying to find some work. Weekend is free for me right now! :)
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark, i'm going to give it a try this weekend. I was thinking of experimenting with the $selfillum but then i remembered, why the hell not use the the alfa on mask1 instead which clearly states that function. Facepalm :) Let's see some more items this weekend folks!
    And Rik, that cape, just absolutely stunning work there.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I fixed the problem, Basically every time I do a new export I have to restart my pc otherwise Dota2 doesn't like it. Simple but annoying, Thanks for assistance guys.

Try renaming your submission's filename in dota every time you tweak the masks and import. The submitted files will not update unless you change the output filename in dota.
    its look a little fragile for a sword that size, maybe you could increaze the radius of the grip part

You're not the first person to recommend this, I'll definitely give it a try.
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man, dont rush on that! people will never return to your item and the first impression matters a lot

my suggestion to you is to get those masks working before submitting

make it private and make it better! =]
    it doesnt matter if your model is awesome, people will vote based on what they see on the workshop page

I can't believe I actually uploaded it like that last night, really shows the dangers of fatiuge!

anyway got masks working but i can't figure out which colour on what mask is causing the white light on the top, horns and around the emblem...

RMeJZ.png

thoughts on it like this? I think its a bit too shiney
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik

thoughts on it like this? I think its a bit too shiney

yes, way too shiny. The color is being lost because of it. I believe that's the Blue channel in _mask2. Care to post your mask up?
    B - tint spec by base color, INVERTED! black=tint by base color, white = uses specular color
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see, so what you're saying is that as long as the .pak file is still there it will take precedence over any modded, un-pak'd files. That helps a lot, thanks.

Also, yeah I think first impressions matter quite a bit. I'm fairly sure I took a good hit to my ratings since I had posted my first item in iterations (hell version one was like 25% positive 75% negative, now it's the opposite after four revisions).

thats a good example for everyone here, dont rush on posting and spend some time on the beauty shot, that really matters...

i never did a weapon so we cant compare as equal, but i use to spent couple days just on the pictures

my two models have 99% of approval and i think that if i didnt spend time on that the result would be different

my first courier was rendered on maya with mental ray and the second had a more simple render but the pictures were produced on the Marmoset Toolbag

hope that helps =]
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion tvidotto, big improvement, especially in motion.

handleupdate.jpg
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SV1JO.png
    mask_1 blue
    QgiJs.png
    mask_2 blue

c8IEO.png

Ohh new fire thats handy! Managed to take off the a bit of the shine above, looks a little bit better now, still have no idea what I did :/

turns out it was a problem with the spec map

jNZHN.png

Does that match up enough with his other pieces so it doesn't stick out?
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik

Does that match up enough with his other pieces so it doesn't stick out?

It's still really glossy and the colors are muted because of it. I would drop the spec down as low as possible but still allow some specularity when the highlights are at their brightest.