Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    eyo : Nice model. Love that would texture and the overall shape. The support pieces probably don't have to be quite as thick, but without the reference in front of me, it's just a guess. Looking forward to seeing it colored out.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Chielvl: Cheers, yeah I'd like to basically do a very short animatic with it, so I can have a go at things such as matte painting, fx, compositing etc.

Erirdidgital: I had been looking at zerg and locust before hand and was wanting to do something along those lines, oddly though I hadn't been looking at mutalisks. There are similiarities but I think it will be different enough.

Did some work on transitioning the skeleton from inside to outside to add more hard surfaces but not weigh it down too much.

creature8.jpg
  • Kudagras
    Offline / Send Message
    Kudagras polycounter lvl 7
    helldiver wrote: »
    Actually all of the grain should flow vertical like the box on the right side, as that's part of the box's strength. If they flowed horizontal, then a box would be crushed more easily when stacked.

Good point you make. So fix that @ Roelant and I didn't see anything other than that on first glance. Nice work on the texturing.
  • n88tr
    wasting time in maya

conar3_wip2_by_cahemmy123-d4e45jh.png
    conar3_wip3_by_cahemmy123-d4e45nj.png
    conar3_wip4_by_cahemmy123-d4e45q0.png
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    tda wrote: »
    Looking cool dude, but i still think you'd be better off sticking to how the legs work in the original concept. Yours are all backwards looking. There's also a subtle curve in the grill that gives it a lot of style that you're missing, looks real flat right now.

Hmmm I am honestly not seeing how they look backwards looking. They look like they bend the same way as they do in the concept. Maybe I'm totally missing something?

Maybe its just the boring no pose he is in thats throwing you off? If you want to show me how you think he legs should look im totally cool with that :)

Also, for the eyes, well he is kinda a "skull" robot, and skulls generally dont have eyes, nor dose the concept art. Just the glass domes to be as if they are his eyes ontop of the hallowed out pits of his skull face. So I plan to keep him that way instead of giving him eye lids :)

Pic is just of him without a pose, squating down and then one of him kinda walk/lunging forward. Im no leg expert but thats how I would expect them to bend.

mechbotpose.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    eyo wrote: »
    Almost finished detailing this lamp post based on a concept from "Captain Blood." Many thanks to Jason Lavoie for letting me pick his brain on this. Still needs some ropes and skulls :-)
    cblampwip.jpg

Dude this is awesome!I am jealous of your Z-Brush Skills!

Autocon That model is fantastic you have to finish it! Although I have to agree the grill could be more curvy!

I am making an environment for one of my university modules. I chose to do the lab in the new Green Lantern film!

screen9.png

Here is a fly through of where it is at atm. Really need to work more on lighting!

http://youtu.be/n00RKIrjrlE
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Autocon wrote: »
    Hmmm I am honestly not seeing how they look backwards looking. They look like they bend the same way as they do in the concept. Maybe I'm totally missing something?

While the modeling is completely solid and awesome, I do have to agree the legs seem completely flipped:

autocon.jpg
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    Fewes, Neox, daphz, afisher, jackwhat <3!

just some fun spam! relieve some work stress : D!
    animbot.jpg
    therun1_rzb.jpg
    ilikethemjapans.jpg
    sry for spam! ; (
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    While the modeling is completely solid and awesome, I do have to agree the legs seem completely flipped:

autocon.jpg

AHHHHHHH I see it now! haha. Thanks a ton for the paintover, just wasnt seeing it and I doubt I would have ever actually seen it. :)

Fixed him up, will have to fix some of the details on the lower front leg piece as I thought the back of it was actually the front so the little white stripes that run down the legnth are on the wrong side.

mechbotfix.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Its been an age since I posted something. Been making techno music for a change (which is masses of fun). But heres a quick T design that I'll be getting printed once I vectorise it.

skullsys1.png
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Fuse wrote: »
    clark_4.jpg

Wow, man. This is one of the best character sculpts I've seen in a while. Super modeling, and his pose and gaze are oozing with story.. amazing stuff :)
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, thanks pepp. It really means a lot coming from you since you're one of the old school ninjas around here :)
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
    Chai - Looking good, love the facial expressions.
    Afisher - Awesome sculpt man
    Fuse - That superman is looking great. Want to see that bad boy textured. Also like the facial expression, gj!
    onelunglewis - Concept is nice but sculpt is kickass, looking forward to seeing more
    Neox - +1 to seeing shadersetup and rendersettings if you have the time to show us. Model looks great
    Autocon - Yeah, were flipped BUT I liked yours more. I say keep em. Unless you want to be as true to the concept as possible.

Here is my update for the marine. Did most of the high poly stuff, a few things left to make(including all the small details) and some tweaks to fix the seams between object =)
    marine2.jpg
  • Wonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    I made this over the summer in UDK. I decided to work on it some more before putting it in my portfolio.

jHWsB.jpg
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Final touches. :)

clark_5.jpg
    clark_6.jpg
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    very inspiring Fuse-
    crosspost from G+I have to call this finished for a bit- I'm thinking of picking it back later as a full body piece.
    DanWitch.jpg
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Fuse that's nuts! Your sculpting is on another level

Dan I really like that design. Reminds me of Kerrigan.

Chin I'm not really sure what you're going for? Sisters of battle have tone of armor so I would work on blocking that out before doing any sculpting.

wipc.jpg

I'm having a few issues. I'm not sure if I should just go bald or do the short hair in the texture. I also have no idea what material to make the padding around the neck. I was thinking similar to the leather of the gloves?
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    chiniara wrote: »
    I changed my project but not too much. I'm doing this to learn the full workflow for a current gen character.
    Im doing a Sister of Battle instead of a Space Marine.

So, i was blocking some pieces and i have this :

EwpXu.png

The next step i think its sculpting or i need something more?

For the armor i just model after que retopology or i just block it before?

I think jumping into high resolution sculpting is too early for you mate, maybe keeping it lowpoly while focusing on anatomy and form would help you grasp the fundamentals before you make the jump to high res ?
  • [SF]Three9
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    so WIP...even the textured parts you see still have a lot of refinement needed
  • spitty
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    here's a guy i did to test out dynamesh. just about everything but the hands started from a sphere. i continued detailing and polypainting it and then rendered it zbrush . you can actually use polypaint when its a dynamesh, but don't hide your polypaint and ctrl drag or it will delete your polypaint.
    dynadude.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Looking sexy SFThree!
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Spitty, how do you go about painting that? Is it with Spotlight? Or is it with a spray brush? Or do you use a regular round brush like you would in photoshop?
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    LRoy: Maybe similar neck padding to a tactical vest?

vt_26_od_1_mark.jpg

Spitty: Looks great. How did you find sculpting it with just dynamesh? I would have thought the lack of subdivision levels would be a nuisance at times.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    wow fuse: great superman, lovel work you've done there. maybe its just me but is the left part of his haircut just a bit too flat on his head? I tiny bit more volume to seperate it more from the skull might work better, but maybe its just a thing of texture

spitty: great use of dynamesh, such a cool hillbilly sculpt

[sf]three9: you're making great progress, but it feels a bit flat overall, the details are too evenly spread and the lighting seems to be very local and not touching the overall forms of his body but this could be done later on, just right now it feels too flat for my taste
  • Adam Curtis
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 15
    Fuse - Thats one badass superman, great work! Only crit, is the back of the skull looks a little flat perhaps / lacking volume?
    Dan - Sweet bust, eyes are a little far apart maybe, other than that - cool!
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Spitty, that's so cool. Awesome Polycount trucker hat.
  • beezul
    ahhhh i need to stalk polycount once again! love the mine craft texture pack demon! cant wait for the release in november.
    Dan- fucking rad dood
    Arkadius (late comment)- i love your shark dood. its looking incredible in marmoset.
    CapAmer1ca- DAMN dood. greatness.
    razorb- SICKNESS. such a perfect design. please tell me you are still working on stealer guy -__-

sorry for not being more active. been settling in cali. new job. im back on sketching everynight and working on personal projects etc. also been making alot of old school nintendo type musics. check out my last post on my blog. new character for a personal project and a song to go with it! blast from the past :D
    http://betelgeist.blogspot.com/
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    awesome painting spitty, looks like it could be straight outta a feature film :D
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Dan! wrote: »
    very inspiring Fuse-
    crosspost from G+I have to call this finished for a bit- I'm thinking of picking it back later as a full body piece.
    DanWitch.jpg

That's really awesome Dan! You've been crankin' out some bad ass stuff lately... non-stop bad-assery!
  • daphz
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Razorb - cheers brah, I really dig that crazy colored mech walker, so much flavor.

Fuse
    - That superman is looking super solid

Lroy
    - I'm liking the short hair, dont make him bald! maybe you could add some alpha tufts of hair sticking out a bit too.

Spitty - Sweet hillbilly bust, He would look awesome animated too
  • spitty
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    thanks for all the comments!

BigJohn - i did a lot of my polypainting just using the standard brush in zbrush, and then i used zapplink to paint in photoshop. i used a couple different spatter brushes to add variation to the colors and freckles and stuff. zapplink doesn't work well with zbrush layers, i think i need to try spotlight out.

Mongrelman - yeah the lack of lower subdivisions is pretty annoying. next time i'll try to keep my dynamesh resolution lower. you can also use remesh or retopo and reproject your details on the new mesh to have a model with subdivisions.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    *from the mists of obscurity something emerges to seek feedback*

But first...

Hey Spitty real nice polypaint on that fella!

[SF]Three9
    I really like the concept for your lizard warrior and nice start on the texture so far. I know its still early days so ignore me for now heh but I would paint a stronger light source on him.

LRoy this guy is looking familiar.. ;P I would recommend toning down the multiply looking effect around the eyes/nose/mouth/ears. keep it up tho!

Sick! Sick! Sick! Dan! I'm inspired to go sculpt rite now!

Fuse
    that's pretty killa man, altho I have to mention his face around the brow looks abit flat, like one of those pug cats. But either way that's great stuff.

Wonkey
    Good start, the greeness of the grass feels like it contrasts quite abit with the mood of the buildings, perhaps making it slightly lighter more dead/sunburnt looking? And some of the cement around the bricks, mainly on the pillars looks very sharp but that could just be me. Perhaps add some fog to blend the cut off at the edge of the environment. Good luck with it, you've got the makings of really nice scene there.

Dannedadon I recognize that fella :) The metal looks abit soft in areas and cloth like in others tho atm. Gd luck with em.

Itismario that is Very Cool, it so needs a polypaint!

Neox you beast! I can't wait to see her with a full head of hair! *^*
    Altho I'm not too keen on the yellow streaks, they may be better suited just in the spec. If you forgive me for commenting about hair, with my horrific voyages through it lol.

Afisher that's pretty sick! It too looks in need of a killer polypaint!

Mental radiation I really like that. It's going into my folder.

So here's what I'm currently working on:

VGzxL.jpg

I've come back to this anatomy guy whom I've been toying with odd concepts for but I've decided to go with in the same direction as the girl for some consistency.The bane of my characters has always been the crease work, fun as sculpting is it's still difficult heh. I'm a fiend for crits so anything that bugs you about him just hit me with it, no gloss just boss.

He will have shoes btw :P

ALSO, Holy Crap I finally made a thread for all my junk!

"[WIP] Boobs, Guns And Hard Work. (sculpts, wips, workflows, finished pieces)"

Please drop in and complain! ...Constructively :D
    I also included a workflow for the fur as some requested.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Haha Mask you mean the texture I used or that I'm slow as fuuu working on it?

That is some really fantastic feeling cloth. It looks super comfortable! If those are jeans I think the creases could be a tad bit sharper.

daphz thats a great idea. head is looking a bit lowpoly atm and i have a bunch of uv space left
  • g2000
    spitty wrote: »
    here's a guy i did to test out dynamesh. just about everything but the hands started from a sphere. i continued detailing and polypainting it and then rendered it zbrush . you can actually use polypaint when its a dynamesh, but don't hide your polypaint and ctrl drag or it will delete your polypaint.
    dynadude.jpg

Awesome,love the skin tone :poly142:
  • Racer445
  • Adam L. Gray
    Nice racer *pun intended, ofc* :)

I've been wondering for quite a while now, did you include the reflection into the diffuse, or is it rendered with a reflection map? And if it is in the diffue, then how did you go about doing it?

And why, I also wanted to make mine a more saturated blue, but they wouldn't let me! :p

Cheers
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    the client said they were going to use a separate shader for the chrome, so i just made the texture a very dark gray as not to interfere with it.

your kart has some great diffuse lighting and matches the character well. could be they wanted yours to be less saturated because mine was the same color scheme!
  • ES_139
    nice work racer makes me like ben10 a bit more! :D
  • sebas
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Trying 3D-Coat's per pixel painting...

KingKoopa_3DCoat-Ppp.jpg
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    So here's what I'm currently working on:

VGzxL.jpg

I've come back to this anatomy guy whom I've been toying with odd concepts for but I've decided to go with in the same direction as the girl for some consistency.The bane of my characters has always been the crease work, fun as sculpting is it's still difficult heh. I'm a fiend for crits so anything that bugs you about him just hit me with it, no gloss just boss.

He will have shoes btw :P

nice work over all, but lot of the cloth folds looks odd as if it was generated with a cloth simulator. either way, the problem is the current folds for the majority works in the rig pose only.
    for example, the area behind the knee could use more creases that would result from folding the leg/knee. also the folds behind the arm pit should go around the shoulder and not across it. also the area in the pants around the front of knee looks air inflated, may be add some shift in volume with some flat areas and subtle dents.
    just look up more reference with moving people and try to find a happy balance between cloth folds that are result of movement and that of stationary.
    also, be aware of what type of fabric you are going for. right now the pants look like a mix of cotton and silk and thin surface with less stiffness.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Dan!- I saw you got your witch done before the deadline awesome :D I missed it by a couple of hours, oh well lol

Here is the evil witch I finished with
    FinalWitch.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Lot's of cool stuff in here.

I recently attended a sculpture workshop with Jordu Schell. It was pretty awesome. This is what I had at the end of 5 days. On day 2 I scrapped it and started over from scratch, armature up and on day 5 lopped off the head and started that over so it's pretty rough. I plan to sit down and finish it though. It was a great learning experience. That guy is a nut.
    workshop_01.jpg

Started doing lunchtime bust sculpting using dynamesh then autotopo in 3d coat and then detailing. Auto-topo worked pretty well for this sort of thing and only took a couple minutes. This is about a week of lunch time.
    bust1_sculpt.jpg

Started texturing. I want to mess around with the new zbrush material crap.
    bust1_texture.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • onelunglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Was able to get the start of the laces and duck tape in. Also Blocked out the shorts as well.

WIP Thread

ShoeLaces1.png
    ShoeLaces3.png
    ShoeLaces4.png
  • helldiver
    A quick update.

Haven't decided what chapter to do them, making up my own. These are shots from the max viewport, nothing fancy.

sm_prev_01.jpg

Here's the wires with normal:

sm_prev_02.jpg

For the hires sculpt I used Max subd (turbosmoothing) and Mudbox. Main objective was to learn Max 2010's graphite modelling tools. Loved them, did quite a bit of work with them, until for what ever reason max started crashing intermitently. Turned out my current video card drivers conflict with it... so had to go back to Max 2008 to finish.

The high res, and some cages:
    sm_prev_03.jpg

Learned a really cool technique for producing improved speculars. Basically I took a normal into photoshop ran a "find edges" filter, desaturated, inverted it, and then applied it as screen in both my diffuse and specular maps. Really brings out the sharp edges.

Got a few more details to add in (ammo pouches, purity seals, some shoulderpad moulding detail) before I start work on weapons and alternate armor peices.

I'd post concepts and references, but they are all mostly my own personal vast array of miniature parts and bitz.

Critiques and comments always welcomed! They keep me motivated :D
  • OzMa
    Hey, lots of cool work here, this thread is always awesome.

It's not 3D but...
    crow01.jpg
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    So many awesome sculpts.

wip Kratos head
    2582xbk.jpg
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Thunkh thunkh thunkh
    GD_CrossBow_01_screenshot_01.jpg
  • Nix
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    spitty: That's such an endearing little redneck, really nice work. :D

TeriyakiStyle: :O Awesome, are you gonna do rocksteady too?

Here's a crosspost from my wip thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88485

Working on the diffuse, upper body hasn't been touched much yet.
    texturewip.jpg
  • Jasp
    Offline / Send Message
    Jasp polycounter lvl 12
    a bad gif from a little game i'm working on:
    l8LMC.gif
This discussion has been closed.