Home General Discussion

New Ipad Pro now has a stylus

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Mime polycounter lvl 14
http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2015/

Starts at about 29:00 .

What do you guys think ? Would this be a decent wacom replacement ?

Replies

• Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Runs iOS only, no.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Could be decent for commuting and travelling. Id still prefer a wacom companion, or a surface pro though. surface pro is just windows, so you can install whatever on it. maya/max. zBrush. all your games. photoshop. I know adobe is coming out with tools for this tablet specifically, but enh.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Looks like a fantastic option instead of carrying around large thick paper notebooks.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    not sure how you can call an iOS device "pro" with a straight face.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Apple stuff but they really need to stop calling everything amazing and magical. It's a stylus.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely NO...

Why would anyone go for that? The surface is one of the best tablets for both casual use and productivity. Even if one doesnt go for the surface, there is still Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, Asus..ect which not only include the full windows OS but use wacom digitizers.

Sony's new Canvas line up is also going to strive to be a production tool... Again full OS.

There is just no reason to go with Apple anymore, especially if you are an artist.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    It's not just a stylus! It's an Apple Pencil! :p (It looks cool, but man, that name....)

Also, Dataday, lots of people love Apple because of the simplicity. And I admire it, myself. You don't have to think about it, it just works. Less screwing around. I don't need a second PC in my hands, I need something simple and quick. Apple does that really well, and that's why they've succeeded. Lots of artists hate the hurdles they have to jump through for digital art; but the ipad (especially with a stylus) removes almost all of them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this deserves any crazy hype or anything, but it's pretty cool, especially for people who love the feel of apple products.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Hehe and they still cant get a battery less pen like wacom
  • cgBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
    I for one think it's a really interesting option. I think this would be really cool for doing some 2d sketching / painting. Obviously being iOS there isn't anything like ZBrush, but I would think you'd be able to plug it in to your computer and use it like a Cintiq using Duet Display or similar types of applications.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    looks awesome, will be using this as a portable sketchbook hopefully.
  • Count Vertsalot
    32gb of storage, so pro.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Surface pro > iPad Pro

Also a new Surface Pro is supposed to be announced early next month.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Joopson wrote: »
    It's not just a stylus! It's an Apple Pencil! :p (It looks cool, but man, that name....)

Also, Dataday, lots of people love Apple because of the simplicity. And I admire it, myself. You don't have to think about it, it just works.

Unless you're software is using OpenGL.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Regardless of the OS and/or the practicality of the apps ... I think what really matters here is the promise of accuracy.

If the device delivers on that front (and I kind of doubt it based on the live Office demo, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here ...) it could be a serious push for Wacom to increase the quality of their products. The tilt sensitivity alone seems way ahead of Wacom's.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    "Who wants a stylus? yuck!"

- Steve Jobs
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    Dataday wrote: »
    Definitely NO...

..Even if one doesn't go for the surface, there is still Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, Asus..ect which not only include the full windows OS but use wacom digitizers.

Sony's new Canvas line up is also going to strive to be a production tool... Again full OS.

There is just no reason to go with Apple anymore, especially if you are an artist.
    Pretty much this! Well said.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    Hehe and they still cant get a battery less pen like wacom

wacom pens for ipads aren't batteryless tho.

I'm more excited for the new beautiful vaio models coming this fall, but I'll pray for lost souls who keep loathing iDevices just for the sake of it tbh
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ikken wrote: »

I'm more excited for the new beautiful vaio models coming this fall, but I'll pray for lost souls who keep loathing iDevices just for the sake of it tbh

Ya wacom has a patent on the batteryless pen. It requires the tech in the pen as well as a special kinda a screen. So can be done simply by adding a pen to a tablet.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    Also, Dataday, lots of people love Apple because of the simplicity. And I admire it, myself. You don't have to think about it, it just works. Less screwing around. I don't need a second PC in my hands, I need something simple and quick. Apple does that really well, and that's why they've succeeded. Lots of artists hate the hurdles they have to jump through for digital art; but the ipad (especially with a stylus) removes almost all of them.

I'd argue it was "loved" because as Apple's Guy Kawasaki put it (Machead's documentary), "evangelism". When Apple was on the brink of dying, they brought it back through "evangelism", they used the word "cult" often to describe their fanbase and nearly every facet of their market success was to create a and I quote "religious experience". In other words, Apple targeted, quite cleverly, people's emotions, identity and collective user base to sell and maintain its brand. They were not shy about calling it a religion back then. (source: https://youtu.be/dcVi9lWUTcM?t=23m7s )

When you mix that with Apple becoming a status symbol, then I think its usage has more to do with other factors than just simplicity.

Speaking of simplicity, Windows has been pretty simple for awhile now. Load app, use it, close app. Done. There is nothing magical about what Apple is doing or that is more simple over the competition... maybe the removal of power user based options but most probably dont even get to that point.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ log off

passerby wrote: »
    Ya wacom has a patent on the batteryless pen. It requires the tech in the pen as well as a special kinda a screen. So can be done simply by adding a pen to a tablet.

the patent thing been sneaked/worked around by their former subcontractors at monoprice, tho, irrc.
    anyway the point is that wacom could license their tech to apple to develop a slate with same tech (mac os wacom drivers are also more stable than windows btw),
    but they went with samsung and microsoft hardware collabs and battery-powered bluetooth ipad hardware.
    I wonder how this thing feels in comparison - I had no need for ipads prior to that, but artrage for iphone is a fun little package, and they glorify procreate as well, which looks neat for a little digital sketching option.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I want the 15th itiration to be called:

PEN15
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ log off

Not sure how to read into that...
    the patent thing been sneaked/worked around by their former subcontractors at monoprice, tho, irrc.

Monoprice uses the UC-Logic digitizer, its basically another one of those Taiwanese brands. UC logic's can be found in a large assortment of various branded tablets and cintiq alternatives. The pens do need to be powered though, which is odd since I'm pretty sure Wacom's ERM patent expired.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ ok cool,
    now please consider going on reddit with the "it's all Kawasaki and dem customer emotions play!11" stuff, or have a gr8 day elsewhere.
    this is a thread about ipad pro having an apple stilus.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ ok cool,
    now please consider going on reddit with the "it's all Kawasaki and dem customer emotions play!11" stuff, or have a gr8 day elsewhere.
    this is a thread about ipad pro having an apple stilus.

Basically you dont like whats been said so you took the effort to say "go away" in the most immature fashion. Got it. =)

I won't comply, but have a nice day anyway.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator

The Wacom pen for ipad had to have a battery because the ipad doesn't have a Wacom digitizer or whatever in their screen.

There are many things to loathe about iDevices, but even if this is any good, the constraint of using IOS will be hard to swallow.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Bunch of artists around here. They announce a new App-store for the revamped Apple TV, effectively a new platform for indie developers to peddle their wares, and everyone here is focused on a stylus. Definitely artists.

I have no objection to them integrating a stylus into the iPad line. But Microsoft definitely beat them to the punch on that one. The new Apple stylus would have to have some crazy high performance in order to convince me to pick one up. That, or it would have to be competitively cheaper than a Surface. And I don't see that happening.

Personally, I'm much more excited for the Apple TV announcements. But I've been much more of a coder for the past few years, so I guess that just makes sense.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically you dont like whats been said so you took the effort to say "go away" in the most immature fashion. Got it. =)

I won't comply, but have a nice day anyway.

basically I wish more hardware manufactures strived to compete with apple build-quality/longevity wise (especially since 3 out of 4 PC vendors you've listed, exluding microsoft surface, are pure shit, and only vaio and surface pro are more or less comparable options.)
    m4dcow wrote: »
    There are many things to loathe about iDevices

I'll pray for you too,
    x.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    basically I wish more hardware manufactures strived to compete with apple build-quality/longevity wise (especially since 3 out of 4 PC vendors you've listed, exluding microsoft surface, are pure shit, and only vaio and surface pro are more or less comparable options.)

Is that your confirmation bias talking? Are you implying that Apple products have superior build quality? If so thats a load of shite. Half the iphones I see feature cracked glass or are bent, they come from factories in which the suicide rate for the chinese works is unusually high and many many examples have been provided across the net where opening up such devices shows some really bad quality control.

No, claiming Apple some how is superior in the build quality is just a myth. I have no idea where it comes from either...is it because they think the exterior materials are tough? Or that customers pay a premium price and just assume its reflective of superior materials?

I believe you are wrong about the build quality of the other brands as well, many of which are very very good.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Didnt read the thread but i just wanted to point out the battery.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Dataday : I think the build quality thing mostly comes from the era of the early unibody Macbooks, and Iphones from 1 to 5. These devices are really well put together and certainly were above the rest at that time. I think I recall that back then, other laptops and cellphones were all made of weak creaky plastic (but I could be mistaken).

Of course things are definitely different now - that was 6 years ago and the market evolved a lot since then.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Is that your confirmation bias talking? Are you implying that Apple products have superior build quality? If so thats a load of shite. Half the iphones I see feature cracked glass or are bent, they come from factories in which the suicide rate for the chinese works is unusually high and many many examples have been provided across the net where opening up such devices shows some really bad quality control.

No, claiming Apple some how is superior in the build quality is just a myth. I have no idea where it comes from either...is it because they think the exterior materials are tough? Or that customers pay a premium price and just assume its reflective of superior materials?

I believe you are wrong about the build quality of the other brands as well, many of which are very very good.

It also stems from the sort of people who compare their $2000 MacBook to a $400 dell laptop.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Microsoft Surface -- Apple innovation is going into the toilet; but many will probably line up on release date for it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I want the 15th itiration to be called:

PEN15

I'd buy it!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Aabel wrote: »
    Unless you're software is using OpenGL.

This. Especially now since Apple wont be supporting Vulkan in favor of Metal alone.

Great, now indies have 4 3d apis to worry about. It could have been kn0cked down to one or two.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Personally, I'm much more excited for the Apple TV announcements. But I've been much more of a coder for the past few years, so I guess that just makes sense.

A good amount of apps wont work on the TV because they are larger than the maximum file size of 200MB. Also, you cannot save game saves locally but only to the cloud. It is a pretty backwards thinking device.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    oXYnary wrote: »
    This. Especially now since Apple wont be supporting Vulkan in favor of Metal alone.

Great, now indies have 4 3d apis to worry about. It could have been kn0cked down to one or two.

Really Apple, that might hurt Vulkan adoption. I'm sure plenty of devs would of loved to make a game with Vulkan for Windows, Linux, OSX, and mobile all at once.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

what does outsorce factory suicide rate have to do with build quality - it's on (nonexistent) chinese government labor force protection laws
    (also, I'm pretty sure lg, sony mobile div., or samsung don't publish their own corporate burn out/suicide rates into english media; it's all typical for asia, and apple aren't worse than any other western corporation that outsorces labor.

also, remember that the mac pro is proudly assembled in north america, so u r supporting local IT techies purchasing top quality apple offerings!

I can't comment on bent iphones, I'm still with my 2 y.o. iphone 5 and it only needs a battery replacement atm, otherwise I take good care of my tech, and so far, apple stuff has lasted longer than comparably priced toshiba laptop, for example, or custom built PCs; also, no issues with crashing HDDs, faulty ram, etc., which are all fairly common for other brands.
    my friends back in Russia largely switch to macs as well as soon as they can offed mad local overprice, even if they end up installing windows and only using that os for their needs (I use both.)
    No, claiming Apple some how is superior in the build quality is just a myth. I have no idea where it comes from either...

myth based on accumulated customer experience, xoxo
    I'm only moderately biased bc. apple techies in my local store give me occasional special treatment (i.e. expedited repairs, or random freebies that aren't normally handed out just like that)
    they're only good if they're on par/more expensive, and, again, apple still often provides better deals (and they always win design wise, literally always.)

like seriously the only consistent annoying thing about apple is shitty plastic that lightning (another nifty thing, btw, usb 3.0 irrc came later) and macbook charge cables are covered with - it cracks after about a year of use, and needs replacement p. much immediately after that
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Bunch of artists around here. They announce a new App-store for the revamped Apple TV, effectively a new platform for indie developers to peddle their wares, and everyone here is focused on a stylus. Definitely artists.

I have no objection to them integrating a stylus into the iPad line. But Microsoft definitely beat them to the punch on that one. The new Apple stylus would have to have some crazy high performance in order to convince me to pick one up. That, or it would have to be competitively cheaper than a Surface. And I don't see that happening.

For me, the 3D touch tech is the most interesting. It could have a big impact on how we play mobile games. It almost doubles the amount of possible control input. It could also be a real game changer for the racing genre for example, as you can now steer with preassure sensitivity without using the gyrosensor. If you were to make a strategy game, you could now differ between a move command and attack move command. So many possibilities... Going to be fun times for game designers.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I can't comment on bent iphones, I'm still with my 2 y.o. iphone 5 and it only needs a battery replacement atm, otherwise I take good care of my tech, and so far, apple stuff has lasted longer than comparably priced toshiba laptop, for example, or custom built PCs; also, no issues with crashing HDDs, faulty ram, etc., which are all fairly common for other brands.
    my friends back in Russia largely switch to macs as well as soon as they can offed mad local overprice, even if they end up installing windows and only using that os for their needs (I use both.)

Even on the lower end, apple computers are priced a good $200 more compared to an identical spec ultrabook. Their marketing is brilliant, if people want to pay the apple tax for a status symbol, so be it.

As far as custom built computers, are you comparing those to the mac pro? A beast of a custom build computer will cost you thousands of dollars less than a similar spec mac pro. As for reliability how about proper workstations from HP or Dell which will still be way cheaper, those are machines for companies that do actual production, not douchey ad agencies.
    myth based on accumulated customer experience, xoxo
    I'm only moderately biased bc. apple techies in my local store give me occasional special treatment (i.e. expedited repairs, or random freebies that aren't normally handed out just like that)

Apple tax at work, why are you in the repair shop so often though? I thought apple stuff was great.
    like seriously the only consistent annoying thing about apple is shitty plastic that lightning (another nifty thing, btw, usb 3.0 irrc came later) and macbook charge cables are covered with - it cracks after about a year of use, and needs replacement p. much immediately after that

I think the lightning connector actually came after usb 3.0, you might mean thunderbolt though which did come a good deal before, but was an intel thing though.

Anyway, I'm gonna refrain from anymore Apple loathing :) Most of the tech I buy is determined by what does the best job for the best price, if it happened to be apple I would buy their product.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Apple tax at work

Phrases like that show bias. Personally, Ikken seems a little biased too. ;)

The thing is, each has its market. Apple is pretty, stable, and user friendly. PC is customizable and has more programs. For my actual computer, I always go for PC, because I know my way around it, it'd be a huge pain to learn to use a Mac, and besides, their computers are so expensive. But for devices, I tend to go for Apple, just because they're fairly no-fuss, and are very user friendly. I know I could get used to an android, but I think they're typically ugly (from my aesthetic point of view), and they feel cluttered.

I'm not personally on the Apple bandwagon, but I know many are. Still, I don't think this bandwagoning is the only reason they're so successful. They make solid and easy to use products. It's really as simple as that. If they aren't for you, they aren't for you. And of course, that's fine. But there's no use saying there's anything wrong with them, because that's just your opinion anyway. Apple makes good products, even if they don't fit your needs.

No use arguing about what are mostly just opinions. This is like a Max vs Maya thread (or, god help us, Substance vs Quixel)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    why couldnt they just add a stylus to normal priced tablet :( fail.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    People who constantly point out the inferior hardware of apple products completely miss the point. The hardware specs are not that relevant to people who buy apple, it's the iOS/Mac OS. Apple happens to make the only hardware that comes with iOS/Mac OS, and that's why they can charge whatever they want.

As someone who owns both a Note 4 (arguably among the best hardware among smartphones) and an iPhone 6, let me tell you that I am having a better user experience, better performance and less problems on the iPhone.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I remember when Apple came out with an iPad a few years back (perhaps the original?), and their marketing line was 'Who needs a stylus?'.

Edit - lol:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YY3MSaUqMg[/ame]

Personally, I still have zero need for an oversized mobile phone that cannot make phone calls.
    they come from factories in which the suicide rate for the chinese works is unusually high

I'd like to add that this isn't strictly true. Yes, there have been a number of suicides at Foxconn manufacturing sites - one in 2007, one in 2009, 14 in 2010, four in 2011, one in 2012 and two in 2013. The 14 in 2010 drew a lot of Western media attention.

The main Foxconn facility in Shenzhen is larger than some cities (it contains everything you'd expect in a city from accomodation, to restaurants and shops, to parks and gyms), and employs nearly half a million people. There are half a million more people employed on their other sites across China.

China's national suicide rate is around 20 in 100,000, Foxconn's is an order of magnitude lower than that in 2010 and two orders of magnitude lower in other years. It is also lower than the suicide rate in any given US state.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Ive had the Ipad pro for over a year now.. except its made by samsung and its called the Galaxy Note pro.. LOL..
  • Skinpop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    The Wacom pen for ipad had to have a battery because the ipad doesn't have a Wacom digitizer or whatever in their screen.

There are many things to loathe about iDevices, but even if this is any good, the constraint of using IOS will be hard to swallow.

yes wacom devices use induction to power the pen from the tablet. I don't know how viable it would be to put that kind of tech into a ipad.