Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic Scene UE4

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Gandosh triangle
Hello guys! I've been following this forum for a while. So i thought this could be great place to improve. If you have something in your mind. Throw at me :D

So first experiment started today. I think im going to fill out these 2 room. There is 3 light. Well actually 1, 2 of them emissive material. Also this scene is fully dynamic. No baked lighting.

buJpb7b.jpg
Cg34p74.jpg

Replies

• Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    This is wip scene. i just got my main ideas :D now im gonna go for Substance Designer for material and of course 3d modeling.
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    Welp. I abandoned my first scene. So here is the new one WIP btw, Oh yes its based on someone's work. I don't know who did this. But if you know please let me know.
  • Defaultsound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defaultsound polycounter lvl 14
    These are quite nice indeed. Any breakdown on the lighting setup? DFAO, CSM?
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    Thank you. I used Directional light to get that light ray. Other than that only one sided plane with emissive materrial. I'm using Nvidia VXGI for UE4. Its all dynamic scene. Not a single object baked. 
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    Sooo.... This one does not feels right. Something went wrong.

• Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    and this one was 3 or 4 hours of object moving experiment xD I wasn't sure what to place, or where to place them. Very very lazy study.

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Gandosh said:
    Sooo.... This one does not feels right. Something went wrong.

[image]
    The scale of the tiles on the wall feels very strange and surreal to me — maybe that's it? I've never seen a wall with tiles that large.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    @Carabiner  I'm sure tiles aren't that large but they could be easily translated as Panels instead... I'd the the issue is probably more about the flooring and the indents in between the panels being too thick. The wood on the floor looks significantly scaled up so it comes off miniature... just a hunch any way... but that's what gives me the sensation this is very small.

Also it's a very good chance your camera angle is playing a massive part in it as well.
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    I think you guys are right. Now i see that floor material looks too big.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The results from you second to last one look pretty interesting its the scale of the wall tiles and floor that make it look a bit strange. Gona follow this topic though because you have some interesting stuff so far. 
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I think it is your camera angle plus the tilt-shift blur you have. The largest wall tiles we've dealt with are 1m x 1m square or 1m x 3m rectangle. So they can make them pretty big, expensive as all hell though. This is one manufacturer for example, http://crossvilleinc.com/products/oxide/moro-mat-2/ Though you want to watch your spacing between your tiles when they get this big. Generally tiles are pretty tight together. I think what also throws your scale off is your tiles have the appearance of being over-scaled bath tiles versus actual wall tile of that same size.

Judging by the bench, you are within realistic proportions for your wall tiles. If you fix your depth of field and maybe put in some pendant lights from the ceiling, it will help the space feel grounded.

• ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Gandosh said:
    and this one was 3 or 4 hours of object moving experiment xD I wasn't sure what to place, or where to place them. Very very lazy study.

Can you try this without the phone booth and maybe put the bench there instead? Love everything else about this scene though.
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    Woa, I didn't knew that i was on the front page :D Thanks guys!

VelvetElvis said:
    I think it is your camera angle plus the tilt-shift blur you have. The largest wall tiles we've dealt with are 1m x 1m square or 1m x 3m rectangle. So they can make them pretty big, expensive as all hell though. This is one manufacturer for example, http://crossvilleinc.com/products/oxide/moro-mat-2/ Though you want to watch your spacing between your tiles when they get this big. Generally tiles are pretty tight together. I think what also throws your scale off is your tiles have the appearance of being over-scaled bath tiles versus actual wall tile of that same size.

Judging by the bench, you are within realistic proportions for your wall tiles. If you fix your depth of field and maybe put in some pendant lights from the ceiling, it will help the space feel grounded.

Next time i'll use real panels not just textures xD Thanks for the link btw!
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle

Gandosh said:

Can you try this without the phone booth and maybe put the bench there instead? Love everything else about this scene though.

There you go! Wish i had my other scenes :( 

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    really nice, looks like a photo
  • dorodo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dorodo polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome! Would love to see a breakdown or a little bit of the behind the scenes. Keep it up!
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Just curious, why is the light facing the bench? I feel either the bench would be facing the other direction or the light would. Because they both want to be facing the street right? But other than that, it's looking very nice, keep it up! :)
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Just curious, why is the light facing the bench? I feel either the bench would be facing the other direction or the light would. Because they both want to be facing the street right? But other than that, it's looking very nice, keep it up! :)
    Ohh the little details... I completelly agree on that.

By the way, how did you do the rain? are those particles right?
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    Thank you. Can you explain to me further? i'm new to environment. 

by the way.
    The whole scene was just this. I was building just road then i got lazy xD
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle

n4uj said:
    Ohh the little details... I completelly agree on that.

By the way, how did you do the rain? are those particles right?
    For this it was just photoshop brush xD 
    Right now i'm working on particles. Nvidia VXGI is not palying well with particle effects.
    Also i'm making a video for this scene. Keep in touch guys!
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    New stuff! Had to make short commercial video about juice. So i got bored and played around a little bit :D

• Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    Apple in the forest_2 still in wip. 

• Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    Somehow UE4 directional light bugging or engine itself is bugging. I can see shadows and lights very clear in my editor. But when i render it out some shadows disappeared and messing with my whole scene. Not sure what is happening...

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm loving these.
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    Oh this architectural stuff is hard. Interior lighting with VXGI is pretty confusing. Emissive materials always leaking and penetrating walls. 

• Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    "Everytime when i use emmissive material light penetrates all wals. No matter how thick that wall is..."

This was caused by multibounce. If i set too high light multibounce, it penetrates wall and bleed all over it.