Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    aelwine - Awesome materials!

Working on some more shingles! WIP with and without some color. Trying to procedurally replicate Joakim Stigsson's sick texture.

AzvdYci.png

Amazing job so far! Love it.
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    aelwine wrote: »
    trying my hands at building base materials I could reuse through projects or with painter as well

slightly aged copper

EDVcopperA_01.jpg

hammered copper version

EDVcopperB_v2_01.jpg

More pics on my thread

Those look great. Good idea too, i know in SD you can import materials into a graph, and layer them. Could be a massive time saver.
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    N83ds wrote: »
    Updated grunge, cracks, tile sizes.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    B_c2RKgW8AAsbT8.png:large

Those look great! Idd love to see those in a game like GTA or something like that.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    aelwine - Copper looks great! Looks really useful! Thanks for the feedback on the ground
    n8 - that's looking awesome!
    Sean - nice damage there! Looks really good.

Quick heads up -
    I'm doing a live event today at 2:30 CST covering some of the new nodes I've found uses for for anyone interested. Namely Vector Warp, Bevel, and Catesian to Polar

@twitch.tv/arvinmoses
  • evulet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evulet polycounter lvl 5
    arvinmoses wrote: »
    aelwine - Copper looks great! Looks really useful! Thanks for the feedback on the ground
    n8 - that's looking awesome!
    Sean - nice damage there! Looks really good.

Quick heads up -
    I'm doing a live event today at 2:30 CST covering some of the new nodes I've found uses for for anyone interested. Namely Vector Warp, Bevel, and Catesian to Polar

@twitch.tv/arvinmoses

thx for your stream. that was realy cool!
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for stopping in!!

Ill post stream and nodes soon!
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    Next wip shot of the asphalt material:

QHFFKmo.jpg

I have to say that you're doing an amazing job, guys :)
  • Lokidottir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokidottir polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, been playing with substance over the last few days and this is my first material, it's 100% procedural. I'm looking at working back into it and changing it up some more over the weekend, so any crits to take on board would be very welcome :)

RoughParquetWood_wip.jpg

btw, really love what you guys are getting out of this program :)
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Lokidottir, nice start into the procedural world :D

I would suggest you to narrow the area between the planks, it's too wide for a parquet (here's a reference). The random scratches could have a little more work, they are quite regular and thin (and another one ref!).

Hope it helps!
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    How do you guys make gradient map with lots of colors ?

I mean I have seen guys have more than 100 colors for their gradient map and it's almost impossible to make that manually .

Is there an automatic way of making them ?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    How do you guys make gradient map with lots of colors ?

I mean I have seen guys have more than 100 colors for their gradient map and it's almost impossible to make that manually .

Is there an automatic way of making them ?

There's a button to sample colors by dragging your mouse over any image. Works on photo's, even the UI or Windows. "Pick Gradient" At the bottom right of the gradient editor.
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    Xoliul wrote: »
    There's a button to sample colors by dragging your mouse over any image. Works on photo's, even the UI or Windows. "Pick Gradient" At the bottom right of the gradient editor.

I didn't know that option was implemented...big thanks!
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Or you could just make a gradient in Photoshop, save it out as a bitmap and use the newly added Gradient Dynamic node.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Hey all, just got Substance Designer this past week. It's been interesting seeing everyone's materials and made me want to get it and give this a shot myself!

Currently working on a material, all procedural but I'm wondering, what these yellow lines indicate from node to node? Something tells me they're supposed to be white.

Any information on what the color of the graphs indicate? I am aware a red line means it's not going to work correctly with the node it's hooked up to for x and y reasons.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Gray lines = grayscale.
    Yellow lines = RGBA.

This allow you to know which part of the graph works in grayscale or in color. :)
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Two small requests:

1) Can the "saved scene state" also remember the status of displayed elements (eg, grid, axis, light)?

2) Will there be a tri-planar node that works on a full material? Or more accurately, asking about one that lets us plug in multiple inputs (diffuse, normal, glossiness, etc) and have them all affected the same (projection, blending mode, rotation/offset, etc).
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    EArkham wrote: »
    2) Will there be a tri-planar node that works on a full material? Or more accurately, asking about one that lets us plug in multiple inputs (diffuse, normal, glossiness, etc) and have them all affected the same (projection, blending mode, rotation/offset, etc).

It's easy enough for someone to roll their own, annoying part would be to expose all the parameters. I did my own, with just the tiling exposed since that is all I needed.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    1) Can the "saved scene state" also remember the status of displayed elements (eg, grid, axis, light)?

It should, it's probably a bug. I'll take a look.

For the moment this filter is too slow to make a full material version. It's better to make your own with only the channels you need.
    m4dcow wrote: »
    It's easy enough for someone to roll their own, annoying part would be to expose all the parameters. I did my own, with just the tiling exposed since that is all I needed.

Right Click on a node / Expose Parameters.. to "batch" expose parameters.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    NicolasW wrote: »
    Right Click on a node / Expose Parameters.. to "batch" expose parameters.

Good to know, but since I want to drive multiple Tri Planar nodes with a single parameter, the tedious part comes with hooking up functions to control all of them at the same time.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Ok, so I googled and found like zero about animating substances (documentation included). I've found some animated noises Nicolas has posted but I can't reverse engineer them. I've already tried exposing a parameter (disorder in Clouds 1 node) to $time function but when I open it in Player and hit play nothing happens while Nicolas's substances play alright.

what can be the issue and are there any tutorials on how to do animations?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    My recent doodle:

18APB6d
  • damocles66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This may be a really stupid question, but how do you guys get marmoset to display your substances on your rounded cubes without a seam appearing along edges when you have turned on displacement with a height map? This is what I get if I use a basic rounded UV'ed cube imported from maya:

ibGKnjW.png?1
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My girlfriend challenged me to make some chain link fences in SD so I gave it a shot. Early WIP but I'm impressed by the height maps you can get just by mashing shapes and gradients together. Just the base shape for now, all procedural.

dKBMom0.png
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys,

The next free Substance is live, find it here.

03.jpg
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    damocles66 wrote: »
    This may be a really stupid question, but how do you guys get marmoset to display your substances on your rounded cubes without a seam appearing along edges when you have turned on displacement with a height map? This is what I get if I use a basic rounded UV'ed cube imported from maya:

ibGKnjW.png?1

I just wanted to say that that material looks great! Nice job.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, as most of you knows, the easiest solution to rotate a normal map is generally to rebake it, but sometimes it's impossible (if you don't have the hi res anymore for example...)

So I played a bit to see if SD5 and the new pixel processor node can help us a bit in the process.
    And hopefully, it does :-)

Here is a small video demo :

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZZJlbAmAS8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZZJlbAmAS8[/ame]
  • donofdon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon polycounter lvl 2
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff as always!
    Sorry been so busy lately, but doing another live event today. I'm covering how to do a quick texture of an object w/o doing a hi poly/low poly version. I'll probably hit a few more things as well.

It'll be @ twitch.tv/arvinmoses @4:00PM CST today. Sorry for the late notice.

UPDATE: I apologize... I had some streaming issues today and couldn't get it fixed. To make sure everyone who wanted the info got it, I made a recording and uploaded it along with the source files. Here is the link:

http://substance.arvinmoses.com/product/quick-texturing-stream-resource/
  • StereoVinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StereoVinny polycounter lvl 9
    Quick question for the wiz kids here... Is there a way to know whether or not an input node has an input ? Essentially I would like to use a default input, defined INSIDE a substance, that would get overridden if an input has been defined OUTSIDE.

Also, is there any difference between using input["myInput"] and input.myInput when trying to show/hide input parameters ?

Thanks
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    There is a way, I don't have the substance with me right now (I'm not at work anymore). I will see if I can share it tomorrow. :)
  • N83ds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been trying to make a muddy ground in the style of the awesome Jacob Norris texture. with puddles, and rocks, and grass.
    CAbCBkTW8AADy4U.jpg:large
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Quick question for the wiz kids here... Is there a way to know whether or not an input node has an input ? Essentially I would like to use a default input, defined INSIDE a substance, that would get overridden if an input has been defined OUTSIDE.

Also, is there any difference between using input["myInput"] and input.myInput when trying to show/hide input parameters ?

Thanks
    Froyok wrote: »
    There is a way, I don't have the substance with me right now (I'm not at work anymore). I will see if I can share it tomorrow. :)

Here we go : AutoSwitch.sbs
    Just add the sbs in your library, you will see 2 new filters : AutoSwitch RGB and Grayscale. It take an input mask grayscale and automatically switch to the second input if the mask is not fully black.

I use this node in my custom filters to do some automatic packing. :)

Some other filters I have :

Grayscale.sbs : Multiple grayscale conversion such as luma, desaturation and Average

RemoveAlpha.sbs : Remove the alpha channel with a simple level node. Quite handy if you don't want the heightmap from the Normal atomic node.

InvertGreen.sbs : Invert green channel, can be useful if you bake in OpenGL but want to work in DirectX mode in Designer.

All those filters should work with Designer 4 and 5. Let me know if you have any problems with them.
  • StereoVinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StereoVinny polycounter lvl 9
    Merci Fabrice !

The AutoSwitcher node is awesome, the way you made this work is really clever...
    The other nodes are very interesting as well for shaving off seconds here and there and keeping your graphs tidy. Thanks for sharing them !

BTW your last link is also linking to the Grayscale node. Is should point to HERE.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    BTW your last link is also linking to the Grayscale node. Is should point to HERE.
    Indeed, I fixed my post.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I would like to get your opinion on what should be my next SD tutorial between these 2 :

The "Terrain Maker" substance :
    https://youtu.be/h05FlB0nV6A

The"Rotate Normal Map" substance :
    https://youtu.be/DZZJlbAmAS8

You can vote here : What should be my next SD tuto ?
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Working on some concrete slabs for walls.

30.png

29.png
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    N83ds wrote: »
    Been trying to make a muddy ground in the style of the awesome Jacob Norris texture. with puddles, and rocks, and grass.
    CAbCBkTW8AADy4U.jpg:large
    Looks good! The plants could use a bit more definition, i'd love to see where this is going.
  • N83ds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kay, those concrete slabs look awesome. Love the cracks too, always great work!
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    My first substance... any ideas on how to make it better are appreciated

bulletholes1.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    My second substance.

o2LVNKW.jpg

The only settings that are hooked up are the tiling amounts, resolution, and some contrast settings, need to make it more flexible to get some trim pieces out of it.

[SKETCHFAB]6079dd9195434731914045193d654a9f[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys,

Can anyone remind me how I can easily add a "slant" or slope to a normal map?

I have this flat normal map, basically just a few panel lines on it. But I want some sections/panels to have a different normal, to break up the perfect spec.

I remember readint it here somewhere, but cant find it now.
    Something with a gradient?

Problem is, when I throw a gradient into a normal node, I only get the "height" but no direction, so it doesnt really help me.

What am I missing? :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A gradient should give you a slope.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can anyone remind me how I can easily add a "slant" or slope to a normal map?

I have this flat normal map, basically just a few panel lines on it. But I want some sections/panels to have a different normal, to break up the perfect spec.

I remember readint it here somewhere, but cant find it now.
    Something with a gradient?

Problem is, when I throw a gradient into a normal node, I only get the "height" but no direction, so it doesnt really help me.

What am I missing? :)

You can use the new bevel node in Substance Designer 5 to get angles that face a specific direction. With clever use of color picking and placing you can blend these colors at a very low opacity 1-5% and get nice, subtle angle variation in your normals.

If you design your node structure with 1 mask that generates most of the graph, this can be as simple as running a gradient map over your mask using various normal angle colors, then combine that back onto your normal map.

substance_slope.jpg

Using this, here is a practical example:
    substance_slope_practical.jpg
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, of course!
    Thanks a lot, Quack, I really appreciate you taking time to show me :)
  • damocles66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    My second substance.

o2LVNKW.jpg

The only settings that are hooked up are the tiling amounts, resolution, and some contrast settings, need to make it more flexible to get some trim pieces out of it.

[SKETCHFAB]6079dd9195434731914045193d654a9f[/SKETCHFAB]

Hey Zac, that looks great. The only critique would be that (if these are standard pavement concrete slabs) the roughness is right around perfect around the edges of the slabs, but the centers seem to be just as shiny. They should probably be quite a bit rougher where the concrete finish is purposefully roughened for grip.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah you are right damocles66, I noticed that last night looking at how the street light reflected across the sidewalk. Time to try making some shingles again, definitely a lot trickier than concrete.
  • cataev serj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question here - Should I use antialiasing option when I use cage for baking? I've tried and result with antialiasing is looking better. But I don't understand what it actually does ?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question here - Should I use antialiasing option when I use cage for baking? I've tried and result with antialiasing is looking better. But I don't understand what it actually does ?

Anti-Aliasing removes jaggies on edge borders/high contrast areas and makes your normal map look much better at the cost of render speed. Always use anti-aliasing for final outputs.
  • cataev serj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Helped.