Home General Discussion

The Order 1886 - PS4

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    bugo, you should totally do some Gumroad Substance Designer tutorials. Id buy the shit out of them. ;)

Yisss :thumbup:
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i thought RAD had their own texturing pipeline tools? this seemed to imply as much:
    http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2013-shading-course/rad/s2013_pbs_rad_slides.pdf
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Oh bad ass. I didn't know RAD released these beauty's.. This is a level I worked on early while helping develop a lot of the pipeline with the lead and AD back in 2012 - 2014. Was suuuuuper fun. Hugo Isn't joking. The lead on this project is a genius master mind behind most of the "technical art" for the order. You learn a lot of "art centric awesomeness" while there.

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/the-order-1886-still-looks-dead-sexy-in-these-new-screenshots/
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    What sucks is that after I finish this game... I won`t be using my PS4 much.. kids play Minecraft though.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Driving me crazy... so I made this at lunch to make time go by faster. Might freeze myself after work. Make sure to call in sick before I do.

TheOrderCantWait.gif
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Lamont wrote: »
    What sucks is that after I finish this game... I won`t be using my PS4 much.. kids play Minecraft though.

no bloodborne?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bloodborne looks nice, but not so excited about it.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Lamont wrote: »
    Bloodborne looks nice, but not so excited about it.

Just.... Painful... *clutches heart* XO
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Bloodborne is going to be good, but since it comes from the same Dead Souls style, it has a completely different kind of players than The Order. I'd say both are going to be good :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Saying this after reading Kotaku's article about the leaked footage.

I hope RAD comes out of this flying high. Whatever the game becomes, I hope the team and people there stay super cool.
  • The_Distiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played it for a few hours today. Awesome game and a technical marvel (despite the low-res self shadows). Can't wait for an art dump!
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Dem muttonchops 10/10
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Played it for a few hours today.

Lucky :poly118: Have it on digital download, just have to wait until tomorrow for it to be unlocked! Can't wait :poly142:
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    NWpPMyx.png

Not surprised at all.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Yea I was waiting for that, review embargos usually means theres trouble ahead haha, beautiful graphics and poor gameplay means Im gonna fudgin love it!!!!!!! just like ACU
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I will never buy a game with a review embargo. Sucks this game looked great
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I don't understand why people would even want to spend their time playing a game with bad gameplay and great visuals. Just watch a movie instead, it's less frustrating?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A very true point, its a shame cause its visually appealing and the art is amazing
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That's kinda funny ...

new_order_substance.gif

The_Order_1886_Cover_Art.png

I don't have a PS4 and consider unskippable cutscenes to be very pretentious and a deal beaker, but regardless, I am excited to watch gameplay segments at high quality. Some of the costume design look really interesting.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I don't understand why people would even want to spend their time playing a game with bad gameplay and great visuals. Just watch a movie instead, it's less frustrating?

It may admittedly be enough that it is eye candy. I think Avatar has a similar result as a film.

I'd shake the art and engineering team's hand and ask them questions. I don't know how one would approach talking to the design team about this one.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Art team did an amazing job it seems (goes without saying at this point) But goddamn this game is getting slaughtered in the reviews...
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "we’re still restricted to the archaic nature of the video game with its need for gameplay"

"we’re not going to fall for the trap of trying to create interesting mechanics when we could be spending that time focusing on the character animations."

That's what devs had to say in interviews about the game. No wonder it's slaughtered, they haven't even tried.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "we’re still restricted to the archaic nature of the video game with its need for gameplay"

"we’re not going to fall for the trap of trying to create interesting mechanics when we could be spending that time focusing on the character animations."

That's what devs had to say in interviews about the game. No wonder it's slaughtered, they haven't even tried.

Cringe. CRINGE.

As much as I hate saying it, design is what matters in the end for these games, not pretty art. I can't play with pretty art, it's secondary ingredients to an interactive experience. It's perfectly plausible to have a game that's simple to look at that is fun as nuts.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, obviously.

I wonder what context those quotes were said in. Nobody could be THAT tone def.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pleas provide link for that , i really gotta hear all of it
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pleas provide link for that , i really gotta hear all of it

http://www.p4rgaming.com/ready-at-dawn-while-making-the-order-1886-sometimes-we-forgot-we-were-making-a-game/

Sorry guys, looks like it's a satire article.

BUT, here's the real one:)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464912/previews/hands-on-and-interview-the-order-1886s-e3-demo-showcases-style-over-substance/
    Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it.

Not much better. Imho, they should've just made a movie.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    It may admittedly be enough that it is eye candy. I think Avatar has a similar result as a film.

I'd shake the art and engineering team's hand and ask them questions. I don't know how one would approach talking to the design team about this one.

by being friendly for starters? it wouldn't be a first where designer's hands were tied by decisions made totally outside their control.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    by being friendly for starters? it wouldn't be a first where designer's hands were tied by decisions made totally outside their control.

Absolutely. Just makes it more awkward doesn't it if designers have to say "well, we tried to otherwise, but bigger factors asked us to commit to this direction and we did our best within those limitations."

Such a situation reminds me about me talking to an actor after a play I saw, and he felt uncomfortable voicing his true opinions still about certain direction decisions since he saw that the director was still in the immediate area. And this is a friend I was talking to too, so you'd think he'd be comfortable with me.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Thanks for the heads up:

get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2Fbo8X2gV.png&key=RwPu85zrHEL8knmGigE4cA&w=480&h=415
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was talking about the reality of small indie games outlasting the legacy of current gen AAA games with one of my empolyees today. Rogue Legacy being the main topic. My employee was scared about playing his copy of The Order and being let down, so in the mean time he's playing and loving Rogue Legacy. He doesn't want to stop playing it because it's so fun and addictive.
    I mentioned the irony in how a small indie team can deliver a game that will be played for a long time vs games like Destiny, Ryse, The Order, etc which are sadly mostly forgotten after a month.

I've said it many times, gameplay > graphics always.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAA games have drastically changed in recent years
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I was talking about the reality of small indie games outlasting the legacy of current gen AAA games with one of my empolyees today. Rogue Legacy being the main topic. My employee was scared about playing his copy of The Order and being let down, so in the mean time he's playing and loving Rogue Legacy. He doesn't want to stop playing it because it's so fun and addictive.
    I mentioned the irony in how a small indie team can deliver a game that will be played for a long time vs games like Destiny, Ryse, The Order, etc which are sadly mostly forgotten after a month.

I've said it many times, gameplay > graphics always.

Destiny is still played all the time and has a pretty large community!!!! you take that back ;P

but you are right for the most part.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    Destiny is still played all the time and has a pretty large community!!!! you take that back ;P

but you are right for the most part.

I lumped Destiny in there but actually I gave it a year before everyone will forget it because you'll always have the people that will stick around to see how the expansions go.

I'd be interested in seeing the dropoff rate of their active users from launch until now though. I bet it's not very good.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    It's going to be really interesting to see how this does sales-wise. I would imagine people that call themselves "gamers" and keep up with the industry, read articles online, reviews, etc will avoid it or at the very least redbox it or get it used. But I wonder how the public that doesn't keep up with things like that, that might only see the commercials or ads will respond to it, because it looks amazing and that can sell a game.

Kudos to the art team though. I wish I could justify getting it just to be able to check out the amazing art.

Its releases like this that really make you think that developers like Nintendo and indie devs really have it right. Visuals aren't everything.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I have no problem with cinematic games so I was never put off by all the complaints surrounding The Order. That doesn't mean I hate gameplay. I think if you want gameplay, there are already tons of games out there. So why can't The Order exist?

I don't want to see AAA games die. While I appreciate indie games for taking risks, the budgets don't allow for cutting edge video games which is still a joy factor for me.

I think graphics and gameplay should co-exist and if any AAA game developers are reading this, I urge you. Please focus on just making fun games. Don't kill yourself on the art. Don't kill yourselves on the gameplay. Just make both!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I would imagine people that call themselves "gamers" and keep up with the industry, read articles online, reviews, etc will avoid it or at the very least redbox it or get it used.

Nop, I'm buying it :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I actually enjoy looking at pretty games as tech demos, but only when I can get them for cheap. That's the only reason I played Crysis 2, I'm looking to get Rage and Ryse for the same reasons.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I also want to add I feel sympathy for Ready at Dawn.

People accuse PS4/XBO of being weak consoles, and thus there are many comments that ridicule games for it. Whether it's "bad textures" "low polygon counts" or "720p".

I'm not defending RAD for saying "no" to gameplay. But the studio bit the bullet and did produce one of the best looking games out there.

It's not an easy battle. If they made a 60fps game with a ton more focus on gameplay, the complaints would then be about its graphics not looking "next gen".
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I preordered it. Excited to play it over the weekend.

Congrats to the team behind it, and i can't wait to look at the mandatory Art Dump!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    crazyfool wrote: »
    Yea I was waiting for that, review embargos usually means theres trouble ahead haha, beautiful graphics and poor gameplay means Im gonna fudgin love it!!!!!!! just like ACU

Most games have review embargos, and for a good reason. Its so that some publications wont rush through games/rush out articles just to be first.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    I'm so in love with the world RAD created and the beautiful art, is there a chance we will see an artbook of any kinds ? Genrne is so up my ally. I don't game on console (I'm far to bad at controllers) so pardon my offtopic.

JordanN wrote: »
    I think graphics and gameplay should co-exist and if any AAA game developers are reading this, I urge you. Please focus on just making fun games. Don't kill yourself on the art. Don't kill yourselves on the gameplay. Just make both!

10 years ago I believed firmly that games would both be beautiful and great, clearly the last few years it hasn't been going anywhere near that.

Indie is doing good tho, and sometimes they too have wonderful visuals as well . :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: »
    Most games have review embargos, and for a good reason. Its so that some publications wont rush through games/rush out articles just to be first.

To a potential customer all they see is " they must be hiding something" Even if a publication does rush through a game and give it a mediocre score ,if the game is truly good most other reviews will balance it out as it can stand on its own

But seeing an embargo only says one thing to most people
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    SpaceRogue wrote: »
    I'm so in love with the world RAD created and the beautiful art, is there a chance we will see an artbook of any kinds ? Genrne is so up my ally.

Was going to ask if you played it.... have pre-ordered it with digital download, been looking forward to playing this and RE: Revelations 2 :thumbup:

I'd be surprised if they don't release an artbook for the game!
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Whats with all this gameplay talk? Were all professional or aspiring game artists here aren't we? Maybe someone who worked on it could break down that super fancy material editor thingy they use there.
    http://i.imgur.com/iPAUGJs.jpg
    I'd like to know how these got put together. Do you guys use masks to blend the material in realtime? do they all get baked down into texture sheets like substance designer? is it really made using dark magic and ancient spells?

It's so pretty I'm loosing my mind! :poly142: I demand answers!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An embargo doesn't prevent reviewers from rushing through. It only delays when they can publish the results. They don't sheepishly look at their shoes and shuffle back to their machines and start playing in a meaningful way just because you embargo'd them.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats with all this gameplay talk? Were all professional or aspiring game artists here aren't we? Maybe someone who worked on it could break down that super fancy material editor thingy they use there.
    I'd like to know how these got put together. Do you guys use masks to blend the material in realtime? do they all get baked down into texture sheets like substance designer? is it really made using dark magic and ancient spells?

It's so pretty I'm loosing my mind! :poly142: I demand answers!

Totally understand the art breakdown want.

It would be irresponsible of us as game artists to NOT understand the important of good game design. What is a game without it?
  • Clos3d
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats with all this gameplay talk? Were all professional or aspiring game artists here aren't we?

There are many of us that wear many hats, not just artist hats.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    If anything, the last year has shown that even with some of the best art ever seen, a game lives or dies on its gameplay first. It's the nature of the medium.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    Torch wrote: »
    Was going to ask if you played it.... have pre-ordered it with digital download, been looking forward to playing this and RE: Revelations 2 :thumbup:

I'd be surprised if they don't release an artbook for the game!

Nope, don't have a console, noting against them I'm just mentally fused with a mouse and keyboard.

Very much hoping for that, fingers crossed !