Home Technical Talk

HP Modeling - Support Loops and Shading

mobpapst
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mobpapst polycounter lvl 4
Hello guys,

i've seen a post long time ago where this topic was mentioned a bit but iam still a bit confused. Its about placing support loops to get sharp corners or forms in hp models. Many guys are going to tell different types of meaning:

Keep your geometry "rounder" as normal to have good results on the normal map and its totaly wrong to get harsh edges like in reality. The shading pixels you are going to loose by harsh edges are too huge.

Keeping support loops very close and getting harsh edges are ok because you are going to notice it only on a far distance. Especially for hero objects like weapons its not needed to get rounder edges for more shading.

Whats your opinoin (1) or (2) and what would you say is "right" or "wrong"?
I still consider whats the best way and how to deal with it. I hope you can help me on this topic.

Replies

• AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Generally game res objects should have rounded edges since they will view better once in game at medium to large distances, but if you are going to be viewing the object up close for most of the time then tightening up the edges might be alright.

But, as with everything in 3D it totally depends on what you are creating your content for, there is no right or wrong.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    It's a pretty good idea to have softer, rounder edges in highpoly. Just keep that in mind and do that if you can, but don't sweat much about it.
  • instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    I also try and give my highpoly slightly rounder edges. Not only does it bake better, but the fidelity holds up from greater distances.