Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Morgue

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
A little something I've been working on in UE4. It's very much a WIP but I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma5SJPXTR2c[/ame]

JonathanLambertMorgue001
JonathanLambertMorgue002
JonathanLambertMorgue003
JonathanLambertMorgue005
JonathanLambertMorgue006
JonathanLambertMorgue007

Replies

• Dobbler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    Hey there,

Looks like you're off to a good start. I'm liking the wall tiles, especially the dimensionality you get in the highlights. The ceiling tiles seem a bit flat, I'd like to see more separation of the tile from the metal strips as it's pretty 2D compared to the walls. The contrasting red cans are a nice start, but I think the scene is far too yellow-green overall.

You have a lot of strong square textures dominating the scene, it would help to break them up somehow. How about a few circular drains in the floor, or a calendar or anatomy posters hanging above the desk against the wall? Not sure what story your scene is telling yet, but if you're going for horror, some bloody streaks or pools could also break those areas up and create some contrast while you're at it :)

I can't tell if they're placeholder, but the metal cabinets against the back wall in the last shot seem really flat and low-fi compared to the great level of detail you're showing with the sheet, trash cans, and metal tray stands in the scene.

Keep working at it, I'm looking forward to seeing more!
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the excellent observations and the well thought out critique. I definitely plan to flesh out the scene with more details and props. Good point on the ceiling tiles, they look they were hacked together in Photoshop(because they were), I need to replace the bsp with a tilling mesh or a better texture.

Once again,
    Thanks
  • MooseCommander
    I would second the issue in regards to your tiles - you have multiple types of tiles, of different sizes, colors and materials - and it makes the image very repetitive and hard to look at.

If you want to use a tile floor and wall, make them differentiate from each other more - maybe the wall tiles are rectangular, stark white and a bit glossy while the floor tiles are dark, square and dirty, like this image.

nocountry03.jpg

Just gather enough reference photos, both for your architecture and set decoration, but also lighting and camera composition. I think the sort of sickly-green look you have going right now is hurting, rather than helping. Are the lights tinted green, or are you color correcting through post process effects?
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    In my opinion you seem to have too much empty space. I think it could look better if you added some tables or something. At the moment it just seems so open
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking a painted concrete floor with drains might look better. The lights are tinted green, do you think it should be toned down or changed all together?

Thanks
  • DKeymer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKeymer3d polycounter lvl 5
    First impressions. Lighting is perfect! You've done a great job capturing a mood here. I'm getting a very Silent Hill vibe from this.

As for critique I have to agree with Doxturtle. The overall environment is deceptively empty because there is too much empty open space. Try experiment with bring your walls in so that your areas of focus are closer together. Use the image provided by Moosecommander for reference.

I'll be looking forward to seeing you progress. Keep up the good work!
  • MooseCommander
    I'm thinking a painted concrete floor with drains might look better. The lights are tinted green, do you think it should be toned down or changed all together?

Thanks

I would take the green out of the lights - give them a dull blue or yellowish tint, but not green.

If you want to add a bit of green, you should do it through color correction with a LUT. I'd suggest pushing the greens in the shadows, and yellows in the highlights if you go this route.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've implemented a few of the suggestions, what do ya'll think? I'll update the thread when I have time to make more progress.

JonathanLambertMorgue008
    JonathanLambertMorgue009
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I like the tiled floor a bit more than the clean one. I do agree with Ben's comments in terms of the rectangular walls and square floor.

I think the one thing that felt off to me is the ceiling. Looking at other "classic" morgues, most of them don't seem to use that cardboard or whatever it is tiled ceiling. A flat ceiling or something with way less repetition would be nice.

Maybe the wall is setup so that the bottom half is the square tiles, and the top half is like a painted wall or something? Separated by like wood trim? I can't seem to find any good morgue ref right now.

Just kinda throwing some ideas out there.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    This is hella creepy! Great job so far :)

I also preferred the tiled flooring. Perhaps having the wall bricks shaped like bricks like in that reference picture than squares may help break it up?
  • FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Nice start, although i feel like you could do a much better composition. There is quite a lot of space. Something smaller perhaps might work better.
    It would be nice if your environment also told some sort of story, At the moment it has no interest or much focus.

Get some mood boards and reference together. I feel like that would help you a lot.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really great stuff so far. Already you've got a vibe going and I like it. Most of this is stuff you might have planned already but I'll mention it anyway =)

I liked the floor better before when it was tile, but I agree it shouldn't be too similar to the type of tile as the walls, which it was pretty close too. Some high spill/stain areas will color their floor with a pattern or similar color to the most common stain so they avoid big blank expanses of ground that will show off stains.

Actually, just swapping the wall and floor textures might work, put the wall tile on the floor and vice versa.

What I notice is the big distances between everything it shows off the repetition in the textures and makes it look unfinished. But if you pulled everything in, what you have, would be able to contribute more to the scene and it would require less filler and props to bring it to life.

Careful with your ref, TV set morgues tend to be a bit roomier so they can fit their cameras, gear and actors all around the room (morgues aren't that popular, people wait for reports in real life heh). But actual morgues tend to be a bit smaller because they do want things close by, a bit like an operating room. Also

The tables don't really seem anchored in the scene, part of that seems to be their shadows that are different than the trays?

I think it would be worthwhile to carve up the ground and create modular pieces so you can better introduce and integrate unique details, like drains, wear and bases for the tables, which will help them blend into the ground a little better.
    DSCF2585.jpg

I agree about the drop ceiling, it doesn't seem all that practical, things splatter up too and the entire area is designed to be hosed down.

Also think about vents in the ceiling and revisit your choice in lighting fixtures. It seems like a good opportunity to do one of those swivel arm lights. They are exploring inside dead bodies, this room would have the capacity to flood the room with light, even if 90% is turned off for this scene. That infrastructure is ceiling detail, even if its turned off.

You probably haven't gotten to them yet but don't forget to run electrical pipes along the walls. In spaces that don't have hallow walls (like the basement of a hospital) those things are typically tacked onto the wall. Especially as things are upgraded and they diverge from the hospitals original building plan. They are simple ways to add detail, age and variation.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you to everyone that took the time to make suggestions, I look forward to pushing this scene beyond where it would have been without all of the great insights!
  • JasonHeckmen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonHeckmen polycounter lvl 8
    It depends on what you're going for. If you're going for a creepy morgue environment, you need more shadows in your scene to up the creepiness factor. The best of the shots you posted is the one from the hallway looking into the morgue. The morgue area on the other hand is far too overlit in contrast to the hallway.

If you're going more for that scene from No Country For Old Men then your hallway will need to be similarly lit. You can't do both black hallway and well lit morgue area because the lighting and art direction are at contrast with one another.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made some updates but I have a ways to go. More crits and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JonathanLambertMorgue010
    JonathanLambertMorgue011
    JonathanLambertMorgue012
    JonathanLambertMorgue014
    JonathanLambertMorgue013
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    dude that green floor did it more for me
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm still playing with different shaders and colors schemes for the walls and floor. I've been looking at this thing for too long, I'm not sure where it will end up.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The main thing that bothers me here is the size of the room, I think. It feels like there's a lot of room between the tables and then from there to the walls.

I think if you cramped it up some, you might get a more "filled out" feel to the room. And you would get the added benefit of more things reflecting other things and cooler light interactions.

The props themselves look great they just seem a little anti-social. :)
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oo this is a really cool project. I agree with @WarrenM completely, I think the room's dimensions make it feel really empty.

I think for a game environment it needs to be much more compact, rather than the realistic spacing you currently have. Unless it has interactivity that requires that space, I think you should move the walls closer together and rearrange some props to fill it up a bit.

Sorry if it feels like I've just regurgitated @WarrenM's point, but I wanted to reiterate it as I think it'll really help the scene.

I think the green hue of your earlier screenshots was effective in making it feel quite medical - it might be worth bringing a bit of that back; and maybe dialling back the saturation of the floor. Beautiful props though (I particularly love that cloth!).
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I tried to make a morgue once, It didnt go as well.
    I'll say a few things;
    I'm glad you made the change on the floor and the ceiling, your most recent post definetly breaks up the monotony, I'd make the tiles even a little bit bigger.
    Also the room is too big. I've never actually been in a morgue so I dont know the sizes, but without anyting going in the room, the size really detracts from this piece overall. So i'd compress it a bit to make it feel a little claustrophobic.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Your scene looks squished, your composition layout should be a bit more solidified before you take it as far as you have, but I'd work on your space, get that sorted.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the room smaller and desaturated the floor texture a bit. Anymore suggestions before I start on fleshing it out more?

Thanks in advance.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56wzrT0vqCE[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YES you didn't give up on this one and I managed to stumble into it again, awesome!

That feels A LOT better. Everything clicks together a lot better with it's pulled in tighter. I like the changes to the floor and the base of the tables, the lights, all great additions, nice work.

Things to think about adding:
    Scales to weigh organs.
    Grossing Station? It looks like you have a large stainless steel sink area which might be used for washing down organs or flushing out intestines but they might also have a station to take things out and examine them closer. They also might get bits and pieces and have to go over them and they aren't going to use the large tables to do that.
    Transfer Gurney.
    Test equipment. Its part lab?
    Microscopes.
    blood gas analysis.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, very cool! The improvements are great.

LOVE those door hatches although I feel they could be scaled up a little to better fill the space they're in. Maybe 125% each? Just so there's less dead space between them.

Maybe also do something where each door hatch has a slot where a clipboard or something can be attached ... so you know who's in which one. :)

You might also consider taking that green color you had on the floor originally and maybe doing a half painted wall around the exterior. Like green from the floor to about halfway up and then what you have there now the rest of the way. Might give the walls more visual interest for little cost.

The chunky latches and hinges on the crypt doors look GREAT. Nice work there.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    This is turning out to be nice and creepy, well done! I think the next step might be to add some more clutter. Peperwork initally comes to mind, though I love Mark's idea about the organ scale and microscopes.

Please keep posting! I look forward to seeing more!
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone for the great ideas!

I'm finally going to start applying after I finish this scene and update my portfolio. I'm heading to Austin in a couple weeks for the IGDA Career Catalyst event and will have the opportunity to meet with representatives from several studios. I'm really hoping this scene will be good enough to help me get into the industry, I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjustable two toned wall shader.

Things like this are what I miss when I have to use Unity for freelance work.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjrORS5d-7c[/ame]
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    As a horror movie fan I love this. I love the simplicity of it and the openness. This looks right out of an old 80's zombie movie.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    mommy I'm scared!

On a more serious note great stuff and an awesome job on taking crits. Maybe you can push it a bit more on the texture work with some pbr-ish type effects, such as waterstains/wetness mixed into the roughness of the floors, smudged/foggy areas on the metal bits and scratches only really seen when the light hits them at certain angles, etc. (Sort of how metal looks when it collects condensation from breathing on it in a cold room if that makes any sense) Basically all of that stuff can be done only in the roughness map as an additional effect, although you can very lightly (like 15%-5%) have some in the albedo map to make it stand out just a bit more. I find substance painter great for adjusting details like that.

I wouldn't make it super dirty/or bloody myself as I like the creepiness I'm getting from the sterilizing feeling right now. Just enough to say, hey... someone cleaned up something that was here a few minutes ago :)
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    No more crits for now, but you're obviously working to incorporate others crits, which should make this scene turn out really nicely :D

I'll be really interested in the lighting once you get there !! It's going to play a huge part.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added a grossing station and I'm working on few more props.

JonathanLambertMorgue015
    JonathanLambertMorgue016
    JonathanLambertMorgue018
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    So much better then inital start. Looking very good. Only thing buging me is the walls / ceiling. Even if they are plain colors they need some kind of variation
  • Dobbler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    This is coming along very nicely! I second Skyline's suggestion, we need some bump or detail on the ceiling to break up that large block of color.
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mellon3D polycounter lvl 13
    Looks cool
    Waiting for updates..:)
  • Kienzan
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElectricEchoes polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work! You've really come along with this since the start. I still think some areas need to be broken up a little bit to create visual interest. Look forward to seeing more updates!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    So much better then inital start. Looking very good. Only thing buging me is the walls / ceiling. Even if they are plain colors they need some kind of variation

I'm not sure about the ceiling, but for the walls.

1. X-Ray viewer (could glow dim with an x-ray on it?)
    2. Chart of the human body
    3. Remember to wash hands near the sink
    4. Maybe some red text (can't think of any right now) to add a hint of red to match the trashcan.
    5. Labels on the equipment: https://postmediawindsorstar.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/morgue_2-1.jpg
    5.5 Or, for a red label: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/creepypasta/images/3/3c/Morgue_%281%29.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120727232009
    6. Some sort of towel dispenser or like needle disposal: http://www.southportandormskirk.nhs.uk/news/UserFiles/Image/Pic%202%20Fridge%20room%20after%20%20BEn%20and%20Clare.JPG

Ok I'm gonna stop there but hopefully that helps get some idea of what you could add.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    love the progress going on, any chance for some wire frame shots? curious as to the density of some of the props in your scene

looks good so far!