I am working on creating a sniper, what will be futuristic in style
and here is my progress and ideas so far
WqnIfRA.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Silhouette could use some more work, in terms of making it interesting. Nothing is quite sticking out to me about this sniper rifle.

Do you have a painting program for you to knock out thumbnails?
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Solid modeling so far. I agree with Jade you need some more interestd shapes. Looks like any other sci-fi sniper to me. Also, it looks as if it would be very awkward to hold.. But keep at it, ill be watching
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with @JadeEyePanda, it's a little bit generic I feel.

If it's a futuristic style you're after, you can afford to add some more outlandish features to give it more of an identity. Maybe Destiny could help with some inspiration? They've got some unusual looking futuristic weaponry.

What is the purpose of this project? If there's no strict brief you're following, perhaps you could get a few more polys in there? I know it's just the start, so that's fair enough, but I'd personally get more resolution in there.

I'll be keeping my eye on this though, it's a nice start to a tricky task!
  • James R Jenkins
    here is a little update on figuring out some shapes and such
    9e83jL8.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why is there a flashlight on a sniper rifle? That doesn't quite make sense to me.

Do you have a charging handle anywhere on the gun? Might really pop the silhouette better. Or large moving parts?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I would also suggest taking a reference for modeling. If you are just modeling what you think is cool, you will fall into a deep trap where you only model what is convenient right now, and not take on any challenge to make the subject like on the reference, and learn a lot less while modeling. Also youre no concept artist or industrial designer, and your concepts will be weak, which is absolutely fine, but you are just hampering your modeling progress like this.
    There are many cool real sniper rifles you will like, and make you progress far faster with your modeling skills, trust me. Also other people can relate to real ones, your result will look better, and you have a lot of references to modeling it and people can give you advice what is wrong, which they cannot do if you do your own design.

E89CC7C03BFAFB74D28E689CA3E4F4EA01E0316A

The AWP would be a nice challenge for you and everyone knows it from counterstrike

Or maybe the intervention per example. Dont forget looking at many pictures and you can even put a sideways view
    into your viewport and model after that

ares-m200-cheytac-intervention-gas-sniper-rifle-black-clip.jpg
  • James R Jenkins
    Here is an update on what i got all the small details are not there but i have been looking allot on real life ref and guns from different games, and most of the large details are there.
    k5gWpsB.jpg
    VssUUDu.jpg
    fQ049oz.jpg
    Bt3Lg4a.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's getting there, but there's still some questionable design going on.

Why is the magazine shaped with a bulge in the MIDDLE if bullets, with the brass, tend to splay out in size?

cheechak05x600.jpg

Why is the charge handle placed so far away from the magazine receiver?

Why is the brass ejection port placed facing in? Wouldn't that bother the user as hot brass slaps into his/her face?

The front grip design wise I don't think is jiving with the futuristic design of the rest of the gun. Like the scope is definitely reading Planetside 2, but the front grip given the indent screams more wood than plastic.

I'm asking these as questions just in case you DO have a reason for the design in particular, but it's considerations like these that propel guns from "looks cool" to "That looks AMAZINGLY LEGIT!" because they seem feasible. The more you can add to that suspension of disbelief, the better.

I suggest you look into basic rifle construction and internal mechanism anatomy. Might help further help you to design your sniper rifle in a more viable manner.

akcutout.gif
  • James R Jenkins
    Here is an update on that i have changed from your guys help and others
    BdtEQMu.jpg
    K7Uc0CZ.jpg
    eg8sx2t.jpg
    FhCsBQy.jpg
  • James R Jenkins
    i have been working on the smaller details here is what i got
    a0irsoY.jpg
    4R3Apmj.jpg
    GJF2Vn7.jpg