Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• bladeshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot polycounter lvl 5
    I was lurking in my old files and look what I found :)
    I proudly present - MORPHLING ARCANA

jaF7n7N.jpg
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10

This note they've wrote because of my storm set. I've gave it to Synergy league. Each news about this tournament was with our set, but at the start of league, valve said that they don't like it.
    for example http://www.joindota.com/en/news/21157-36-teams-join-synergy-league,-16-from-sea :)
    but no stormerino with ticket, only lina
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    bladeshot wrote: »
    I was lurking in my old files and look what I found :)
    I proudly present - MORPHLING ARCANA

jaF7n7N.jpg

I laughed waaay to hard on this one :D:))))))))))))

sorry for the interruption guys ...
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Here is my view on DC Tournament situation.

We all should know that Valve is run by people same like us. They try to set up rules for things for general good, however sometimes lack of time, deadlines or just miss communication make things to go in different direction.

I would not be surprised if short amount of time or some kind of problems along the way would make them accept Juggernaut set and Mirana mount outside of workshop procedure.

Every previous DC work were done, advertised and so on weeks if not months before release and were also uploaded to workshop. DC Chest for example, every single set went to workshop for community vote.

To be honest personally I would prefer that leagues, tournaments, pro player sets were not upload to workshop because they occupy space and visibility that normal/our submissions could take advantage of.

Clearly Valve and DC are not a bunch of evil villains laughing now how they tricked everyone. There was clearly something going on, that forced them to take such short path into the game. I am also sure such one time favor is not limited only to DC and Valve for sure would help other organizations/host/artists in need :)

Ahh one more thing, its Valves game and they can do anything they want with it and change rules whenever they wish. We should remember this. They owe us nothing ^^'

What I said is maybe harsh but I learned just to not care, think or try to understand as when I did it always obscured my ability to actually make art :D So I advise everyone just to focus on what they are best at - making art. As the end of the day I am happy DC items didn't go into workshop as that left more space for our work :)
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Konras : Agree , I would love tournament sets to be hidden ,becouse it doesnt matter if they have the stars or not , its directly sent to valve to evaluate it .
    I dont mind DC getting all this shit ; the only time I will be annoyed is if they will have a chest in , and that being the only chest for the month / or monopolizing the workshop
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not about hate against DC. You guys makes a excellent job with adverstising and the top workshop of the week, no one can't say you dont, and we are all thankfully for that.

But once you break the rules, isn't it pretty clear you are in a different boat from the workshopers? I mean, I have no knowledge about an item that haven't been submited in public votation and has been accepted, until now.

I hope you understand our point of being always left in the dark, no feedback at all, and then BOOM someone breaks the rules written by Valve itself. You can't expect anyone to be happy about this.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    To be honest personally I would prefer that leagues, tournaments, pro player sets were not upload to workshop because they occupy space and visibility that normal/our submissions could take advantage of.

Having one slot for their item would still be a better option than not having any. The point of having the workshop is for the community to decide whether or not they want an item or not. While true that most people just vote in favor of their perferred teams/organization, it still brings them to every other artists' level. Bypassing the workshop is like having somebody at valve getting your items in Via express lane.

Having a set into one submission should be enough to alleviate the hidden areas or better yet, another category. (like how custom maps have their own little section)
  • sajedene
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    Here is my view on DC Tournament situation.

We all should know that Valve is run by people same like us. They try to set up rules for things for general good, however sometimes lack of time, deadlines or just miss communication make things to go in different direction.

I would not be surprised if short amount of time or some kind of problems along the way would make them accept Juggernaut set and Mirana mount outside of workshop procedure.

Every previous DC work were done, advertised and so on weeks if not months before release and were also uploaded to workshop. DC Chest for example, every single set went to workshop for community vote.

Clearly Valve and DC are not a bunch of evil villains laughing now how they tricked everyone. There was clearly something going on, that forced them to take such short path into the game. I am also sure such one time favor is not limited only to DC and Valve for sure would help other organizations/host/artists in need :)

Ahh one more thing, its Valves game and they can do anything they want with it and change rules whenever they wish. We should remember this. They owe us nothing ^^'

What I said is maybe harsh but I learned just to not care, think or try to understand as when I did it always obscured my ability to actually make art :D So I advise everyone just to focus on what they are best at - making art. As the end of the day I am happy DC items didn't go into workshop as that left more space for our work :)

EXACTLY!
    Its not about hate against DC. You guys makes a excellent job with adverstising and the top workshop of the week, no one can't say you dont, and we are all thankfully for that.

But once you break the rules, isn't it pretty clear you are in a different boat from the workshopers? I mean, I have no knowledge about an item that haven't been submited in public votation and has been accepted, until now.

I hope you understand our point of being always left in the dark, no feedback at all, and then BOOM someone breaks the rules written by Valve itself. You can't expect anyone to be happy about this.

What rules did we break? I really don't know how many times I have to say here that we are just like all of you - doing what we are told. If we could make rules, bend rules, and do whatever we want, then that would be amazing... and that would also make us Valve. We're NOT Valve.
    Having one slot for their item would still be a better option than not having any. The point of having the workshop is for the community to decide whether or not they want an item or not. While true that most people just vote in favor of their perferred teams/organization, it still brings them to every other artists' level. Bypassing the workshop is like having somebody at valve getting your items in Via express lane.

Having a set into one submission should be enough to alleviate the hidden areas or better yet, another category. (like how custom maps have their own little section)

As stated above - that's up to Valve. Seems that even if artists or organizations go through the proper process - it's up to Valve to make the ultimate decision as they have done with Nikey - and also something they did similarly to another tournament/organization who was supposed to have a courier released but then had to change it last minute.

Don't know why people want to draw some imaginary line between workshop artists and organizations when we're all just trying to make-do and work with what we are given. As Konras already stated, if exceptions were made, and have been made in previous instances, there has to be a reason that Valve chose to do so - and as much as we would like to think we're owed an explanation all the time, we're not entitled to anything other than things that directly affect you. Would I love to know why Nikey's Storm Spirit set was suddenly not acceptable? Sure. But really, that's between the artist, the organization and Valve. Not me.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there man - nice to see you guys here, and congrats on another well-rounded item getting in !
    What rules did we break? I really don't know how many times I have to say here that we are just like all of you - doing what we are told.

I will try to clarify what people mean. I think the reason why people might feel like rules got shifted here is pretty obvious (and of course, I am not saying that you guys created the situation - I am just talking from a very objective perspective here). The official, supported way of submitting items to the workshop is as follows :

- creating a design ;
    - submitting it to the workshop for the community of players to view it, rate it, and comment on it ;
    - waiting for a while (which can be a bit nerve wracking ... but there is also a great sense of satisfaction to be derived from having the design fully available for people to see ! )
    - eventually, all these efforts get rewarded by the item making its way into the game.

The one thing that I actually find to be quite fair about third party-submitted items is that they have to go through the same channels, and being submitted to the same standards of judgement. That's pretty awesome - no special cases ! However if I am not mistaken, this set went in differently :

- a design was created ;
    - some communication happened between Valve and a third party about the condition of acceptance of this design (this is the part that people are speculating about, quite naturally) ;
    - The design was approved outside of the publicly visible Workshop ;
    - The item makes its way to the game.

Now of course I am not criticizing you guys, as, like you said, you proceeded as instructed. But I personally cannot blame anyone for being frustrated with the fact that there seems to be some kind of unofficial communication channel that content creators do not have access to. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Valve should necessarily directly communicate that way with artists ; as a matter of fact, I am personally pretty content with the system as it is, as it creates a strong drive for self-criticism and dedication to the craft. But it is understandable that many artists would really *love* to be told what to do when their hard work gets stuck in workshop limbo for months.

On a semi-related note, I actually empathize a lot with the artists involved with this project, because they certainly put a lot of hard work into it without being able to get the appreciation of their peers in return (through encouragement and constructive critiques here on Polycount, or through workshop ratings and comments). I personally find this to be a very important, if not *the most* important part of the creative process, and it's a bit of a shame that these guys didn't get the chance to experience that ...

This is just my opinion of course, and I hope I didn't misunderstand anything. I hope this helps !
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Also, Blade : I freaking love the idea of the boat riding the wave/back ! Very clever stuff, it might be worth going forward with it !!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    started to texture a cm set (valkyrie theme, with rocket and pult).
    so far its: head, shoulder and arms. weapon and back slot are still missing.
    feedback is welcome :)

tdz9hP6.jpg
  • JeremyKlein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyKlein polycounter lvl 6
    Here is a WIP of the sculpt for a Riki set im doing with Kyle Cornelius
    and a hard surface high poly for 1 of the daggers that i made in max, with some basic colored material nonsense thrown on there for shits and giggles.
    Riki_Scukpt_Render.jpg
    Dagger1_WIP_01.jpg
  • SemiColonThree
    I believe there was a miscommunication of some sort between dc and valve, that resulted in it being too late to make the submissions turn from private to public. I wanted to upload these to the workshop as well as I have prepared promos n such, and ofcourse i wanted more subscribers :). But for whatever reason I think it was just error in communication, that resulted in all this.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Damn Jeremy! You should give some workflow highlights or something! So much to learn from you! That Riki sculpt is amazing!
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing is sweetier than getting a self-made
    CfnupaqAvtU.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    wut, looks like you need to recompile, rename it wutever the game vers is called and put -override vpk in your start up settings.

;)
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, its just sort of item scheme bug i think, i got something that was not supposed to, there are no files related in client, only icons
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Damn Jeremy! You should give some workflow highlights or something! So much to learn from you! That Riki sculpt is amazing!

+1
    Jeremy, your work never stops amazing me. Would love to get some insight on your workflow! :D
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    The week's progress. Spent a long time trying to figure out a good wyvern motif to fit the set and give the armour a little more character. Settled on this one.

U6MnHoN.jpg
    Artypi wrote: »
    I absolutely love the level of detail in the sculpt right now. The layering of the different materials is really interesting, wouldn't say you'd need to overdo it too much.

Glad you like it Arty! Perhaps I've been looking at it for too long, so nothing seems to work too well. Getting a little bit of input from elsewhere is always good.

Btw, Jeremy, how much of that awesome riki high poly is a sculpt and how much of it was modeled? I've always had issues making the smooth, rounded and yet clean panels. Looking at this and Sebastian's WK sculpt make feel like I'm definitely missing something :P

--edit-- Thanks matt! Btw do you guys not drop into the google hangouts any more? I don't see people in it at the times I used to come online at
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Snowstorm: Really looking forward to this one mate, it's turning out great so far!
  • bladeshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While you guys make sets we make Immortals :D

BEHOLD TINY BANANA

tumblr_nef7kbIVA11tl0rtjo1_1280.jpg
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like Valve fixed Venomancer's import system for the ward and it's listed under abilities now :D I went ahead and re-uploaded the ward and figured it'd be good to let people know in case they missed the update.

637x358.resizedimage
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh snap, custom animation support. My body is ready. :thumbup:
  • bladeshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow something strange with workshop. Banana snowballed pretty hard: 1200 votes in less than 24 hrs, 92% of positive votes, was reblogged by Wykrhm, RTZ tweeted about it, tons of comments of course and it's only on 4th page of most popular this week?
    I know that is joke item and it doesn't matter much but how's he is on 4th page just after this submission with 100+ votes? I mean some item have 3 or don't even have stars on 4th page.
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    @bladeshot

I've only submitted a few items but it often seems like it updates positions in big waves, not very frequently. It'll probably jump straight to first page at some point soon
  • Sylei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    Well personally I am happy your banana is not taking a front page slot and hope it stays that way !
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    its about the % also. 92% is not so good.
    the top 6 slots of page1 mostly need 97-99%. still it is possible to get on page1 (bottom or middle) with a lower % item if u just have shitloads of votes and its ur submission day 2 or 3 already.
  • bladeshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei wrote: »
    Well personally I am happy your banana is not taking a front page slot and hope it stays that way !

Well I don't have intention of taking over front page. I'm just curious about way how workshop works now.
    Or did my banana rustled your jimmies? :D
    24607622-jpg.22945
    Shock wrote: »
    its about the % also. 92% is not so good.
    the top 6 slots of page1 mostly need 97-99%. still it is possible to get on page1 (bottom or middle) with a lower % item if u just have shitloads of votes and its ur submission day 2 or 3 already.

Wow I didn't know that percentage is that high on top 6. Thanks
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    I don't mind lol submits, as long as Valve do go on crack and approve them....

wait_wha.gif
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    svpu5Ds.png
    random sniper concept
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d wrote: »

wait_wha.gif

*new meta
  • bladeshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    svpu5Ds.png
    random sniper concept

oh I like that design very much. You should definitely make set out that idea
  • [Square]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi All,
    d2d94818ac.png
    Hoping to collab with someone on my Ancient Pine Treant Protector Set.
    Drop me a PM or add me on steam if you are interested :)
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    I would personally really love to have that banana in game EMuVnBI.png
  • Aitnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all! Here is my completed helm for the October competition. :) Hope you all enjoy it! Give it a thumbs up if you like it! Thank you.

Death's Crown by Aitnar

Ktz1n1a.jpg
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    danpaz3d wrote: »

wait_wha.gif

I'm personally hoping that they gather up novelty items and temporarily apply them to all heroes on April 1st.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Hudston wrote: »
    I'm personally hoping that they gather up novelty items and temporarily apply them to all heroes on April 1st.

Similar to TF2's Halloween event. For a week perhaps. Joke Items tag 2015 :thumbup:
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston wrote: »

I'd be all for this knowing it's just one step closer to the TF2-fication of Dota2. And one step closer to my rubber ducky morphling belt. :thumbup:
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i was today told by a pro tourney with more then 25k pricepool that valve rejected ALL my sets from the workshop for a ticketbundle, since they all contain custom particle effects and / or custom abilitys. anyone knows what is again going on in volvo base?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock wrote: »
    i was today told by a pro tourney with more then 25k pricepool that valve rejected ALL my sets from the workshop for a ticketbundle, since they all contain custom particle effects and / or custom abilitys. anyone knows what is again going on in volvo base?

My only guess is now particles are set for pro tourneys with larger prizepools, maybe 25k doesnt cut it for custom particles. But what I dont understand is if the particles are the problem, why can't they ship it without particles?
  • KatArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    @Shock very sadly to hear that kind of information , just started digging into this direction , nonetheless i'm 1 step closer to final.

In fly version he will stand on the dragonfly)
    Any suggestions on particles? is it relialble ? or better just avoid them...

JslTyV.gif

and if some 1 know what kind of bug , that fly anims on fountain area has broken cycles ?and they are good on any other place of the map. is it fixable via ingame importer or only wia qc?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt wrote: »
    Any suggestions on particles? is it relialble ? or better just avoid them...

My stance on particles has always been this; if the design can function without the particles, why include them? I wouldn't shoehorn anything into the submission if it doesn't need it.
    KatArt wrote: »
    and if some 1 know what kind of bug , that fly anims on fountain area has broken cycles ?and they are good on any other place of the map. is it fixable via ingame importer or only wia qc?

The only bug I know of is if you use the turret to kill the courier it will force the animation to play twice. Outside of that I've never encountered anything like that. Unless something broke in one of the more recent patches. :thumbup:
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Shock Question is if hosts of this 25k prize pool tournament can be trusted? I mean its always easier to blame Valve/set etc. I wonder why haven't they asked "why?" themselves in the first place. Also there is always a possibility that fully customized set is to much for 25k ticket.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Konras : I heard from tournament admins that valve acceptance rate is uber low now as a response for all the flooding of items from late .

KatArt: yes , in the foutnain the idle anim has some issues until u get out of it , Its a rare bug , but I saw it on my couriers :).

I finished a dagger for slark :) If anyone can drop a like <3
    940598BBC1F67E56703182B4DCF69669589EDDFF
    workshop link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=336860323
  • Channfree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know what to do when you can't find the runmaya.bat file in the sdk exporter plug in for maya 2012? I have the right maya 2012 32bit
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    about the particles, in most of the cases those sets that were offered to them would have been totaly able to ship without the particle effect. one of those sets even has a second alt style for a slot that is not using a particle effect jsut in case that volvo may not like it. so i totaly wonder myself why they didnt want that. also my sets are normaly not overdone with mass effects, i allways try to use particles as decent as possible.

about the tourney guys i trust them, i talked a long time with them and they were very honest with everything. they even told me that they also asked other artists for sets and will send valve a bigger list to pick out.

valve then in reverse offered them to take a very simple set from a completly other artist that name i dont wana drop here now. that set is also technicly rly clean, but designwise totaly boring.

after talk i talked with vayne about the situation and then he told me that he had also a discussion with another tourney guy who told him something equal - that valve has a problem at the moment with particles. (what i consider as total joke according to those new particle sets ingame)
  • ChiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shock: I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's the quality of your work, or whether or not Valve appreciates it that you're concerned about.

I've heard a lot of weird stories about Valve and ticket submissions, and they rarely correspond to how submissions are usually evaluated and accepted.

Valve might be more interested in shipping your sets in regular treasures or other formats where they have enough time to implement your particles/icons.

Tickets bundles tend to be "rushed" into the store because of limited time frames, and while they may have really liked your sets, they might have thought it best to save them for something more substantial.

Of course, they would never tell you that, but I wouldn't beat myself up over it. :)
  • Channfree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nvm figured it out