Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space station (UE4)

Replies

• urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Your master shader looks really good. Can you share a bit of info about it?
  • RedSquare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSquare polycounter lvl 5
    You are a maniac)) modeling awesome
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Well damn, looks like I should learn Modo huh? Does anyone know of some good beginner tutorials?
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: ยป
    RexM, thanks! Well, im having some issues with UE4, or maybe its just myself, just having trouble getting something I like in it to a finished state. And not abandoned, but more gritty/industrial than clean : )

Anchang-Style, yes, I'm using modo : )

I hear you there, I came from CE3, now using UE4 for a couple of months and I am only now reaching the quality that CE3 has laid out for a vegetation scene... although I am learning a lot more about how shaders handle textures, materials, it's been a challenge to get the results I want.

There are just so many ways to do things through the shader, it's very fun and frustrating at the same time.

Anyways, keep up the good work. Might be cool to have a room where they grow some stuff, like in the ISS. I know they do all sorts of experiments since they have access to a zero G environment, too.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Testing some things with the layout of the scene, which im very very unhappy about right now. Also working a bit more with the shader, still need to add some stuff, like diffuse texturing-stuff and some gunk/oilbased dirt for the metal similar to the dirt on the painted surfaces : ) The copypasted mesh there is just the random shaderstuff going on.

09.jpg
    10.jpg
    08.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Way super cool.
  • MooseCommander
    Dang, would love to see a breakdown of your material network. Top notch work.
  • Benkeeling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benkeeling polycounter lvl 10
    Hey dude,

The High poly work is looking fantastic, and I really like some of the material work you have got going on. The details are great however I can't help but feel everything is way to noisy at the moment.

there is no areas of rest and as such it all moulds into one grungy mess. The shader work and grunge is solid but I think you need to be more selective on what you apply it to cause at the moment it doesn't make a lot of sense. Parts that move for example.

I think there was some real promise in the earlier painted blue material work and I think it be good to pull some of that back, especially with the yellow cause that could work really nice. If not blue maybe go for a more deus ex style colour scheme. Dark greys and yellows. Use a painted metal like grey or blue as your areas of rest and offset that with a nice shiny aluminium like you had in the previous shots.

Hope this helps

Looking forward to seeing it progress.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    I like it so much, great details and YES....maybe less grunge ? Anyway i think depends on what are you looking for, keep up the great awesomness work!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm aware of the grunge-problem :D But all the rust and grunge is just a slider away, so thats something that I will tweak until the last moment probably ^^ Wouldnt say there are no areas of rest though since about 50%+ of the screenspace in that image is untextured temporary meshes :D But yeah, noisyness is something I'm trying to keep in mind, but that kind of stuff is easily tweaked atleast : ) For now im more worried about the scene being a bit boring and drab in terms of design and layout. Aswell as just not feeling it yet. Hopefully it'll come together a bit more soon.

Built a really quick asset, trying out some new, faster, modelling techniques, design is a bit herp derp, but whatever, just a floor lamp :D
    11.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I've been loving the big bulky "functional" design elements these pieces have been taking, however I think you missed the mark on the ground light. I think you may have sacrificed a nice, functional design for speed. It seems like you have all of these elements competing for attention on the design side of things, the design all seems to be evenly spaced, and alot of the pieces awkwardly transition to one another. The noisey-ness of the design would make this piece get completely lost in the environment and blend in to whatever surface it's attached to.

Excited for this space! You always know how to inspire me to start up an environment Tor ha!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, good points, I'll redestribute some of the detailing and shapes :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just rearranged some of the detailing mostly to free up some larger areas of rest ^^

12.jpg
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    like the design and interesting forms of your props.
    is it possible to show your material in UE4 for the props and inscene materials? thanks :)
    otherwise everything is looking nice,
    maybe bring the idea what the room is for and create assets around it, not a simple corridor type thing. it can help to bring everything together.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho, I might show the material once its done and cleaned up, right now its a bit of a mess :D

Baked down the lamp, tried to make it somewhat accurate atleast, buuut yeah more than this and my patience drifts away :D
    13.jpg
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Wish we could get a break down for a smaller asset about your workflow for stuff like this ...looks amazing.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    You are a true inspiration for artist around the world. Amazing!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style: what kind of breakdown do you mean? : ) I could probably do one, but not sure what to show. My highpolywork I show quite alot on my stream.

started working on another asset, a ceiling lamp for the second room:
    14.jpg
  • Tepcio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tepcio polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is super dope.
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    This is disgusting....

Disgusting how damn good every asset looks.

Top job.
  • pachermann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never ending awesomness, keep on its like reading a sience fiction manga :)
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr grimm polycounter lvl 9
    viewing your work is always inspiring man.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    I'd love to know how you come up with these shapes. Do you use reference material, or does it come naturally after years of experience?
  • SamirDuran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamirDuran polycounter lvl 6
    @Snefer It would be nice to see your material production workflow in your BD ;)

Cool work. Love all those shapes!
  • pat123d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very very nice.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamirDuran, BD? What do you you mean? : )
    narticus, sometimes I use references for stuff, but most of it is just straight out of my head.

Did some more work on my livestream on this prop:

15.jpg
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    hey this looks really awsome! im a big fan of industrial looking scifi, and this hits that spot very well!

one critic/question though; is everything made by the same company/factory? otherwise i thinks its a bit weird that the ground light thingy has the same shape language as all the other props and the space station overall. i guess it make sense if it was manifactured solely for the use in this space station... but wouldnt it be a cool to put some squarish, plastic looking props in there aswell, to contrast the dynamic forms and the worn metal material?

edit: i guess i agree with what wester said.
  • SamirDuran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamirDuran polycounter lvl 6
  • enishi
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Where i can see the live stream? or the replay?
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how you really keep in mind, that stuff atleast should look like it's supposed to work. The mechanical workings are top notch.

Yeah your high-poly work...wait you got a Stream????? *checks*
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja: well, everything in the environment is made by the same company, yes, but you are correct that some other designs will play nice with the environment. I will try to get that in while I'm making more loose props that will be scattered throughout, good feedback, thanks! : )

My twitch-channel is here:
    twitch.tv/torfrick

There should be a few videos saved there, I'm going to save the old ones to my youtube-channel aswell.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpoly for my robot arm. Still missing the lamp on it, and got some nice and obvious bakingerrors that I need to fix : ) Improved teh shader a bit to have be a bit more optimised and controllable.

16.jpg
  • .polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .polygon polycounter lvl 11
    I love all these hard surface models! Keep em coming, i cant wait to see final renders of this place.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! Hopefully not too many assets left before it actually starts to look like a room :D
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Thanks for link, again awesome work:)
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    thanks for the twitch link, very useful and informative videos. bad for me twitch is buffering very slowly, but it's very nice process you got, especially with boolean subtractions form low poly. I'm working in 3ds max so it's kind of awesomes my eyes are crying.
    how you're texturing your low polys? you're unique uving it and creating scratches and etc with ddo or using one texture how in modular method and uv on top of it?
    thanks!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those low poly Boolean techniques should be doable in Max as well. I love MODO but that's one area where Max should be able to keep up. :)
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    WarrenM, yeah there is boolean modifier, it's working good on cubes, but that's it. more complex low poly shapes and I'm getting artifacts in the wireframe. it's not visible sometimes until you start to smooth geometry :( so I decided to not use it..
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: ยป
    stickadtroja: well, everything in the environment is made by the same company, yes, but you are correct that some other designs will play nice with the environment. I will try to get that in while I'm making more loose props that will be scattered throughout, good feedback, thanks! : )

My twitch-channel is here:
    twitch.tv/torfrick

There should be a few videos saved there, I'm going to save the old ones to my youtube-channel aswell.

Awesome thank you :)

Edit: watched 5 minutes of one of your video...never knew this was even possible ;)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrapped up the lowpoly for my lamp! Still some issues I need to sort out, but most of it wasnt visible once I put the shader on it : )

17.jpg
    18.jpg
    19.jpg
    20.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a final render of the highpoly aswell : )
    21.jpg
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    looking dope! especially low poly with a shader.
    as I understood you're using shader in unreal with cavity as a mask for the adding/removing scratches? like similar substance designer is working?
    i like scratches itself but don't like how they are placing everywhere, maybe if you can erase some parts from the mask where wearing isn't happening the effect of scratchenes will be less busy. otherway the work is topnotch!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can remove specific areas with some degree of control, but there is also an element of randomisation in there right now, so i dont have full control. But I can just drag the slider if I want less, though : ) Right now im trying to get all the major pieces in there so I can stard setting the scene up a bit more properly, just know its just one big mess :D
  • Lokter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokter polycounter lvl 6
    Damn you people and your endless supply of hours to work and talent.

Snefer, if I dropped you a PM would you be able to give me a bit of feedback on a big sci-fi door I have to make for a uni project?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokter: definately! :)
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hipolys rendered with vray & lopolys with udk?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I see you post about your Modo mask workflow for your texturing. I have only messed around with Modo a little bit, but it would be awesome to get some info, or a breakdown about it.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, nice work. This comes out of your head? What is your background that you obviously have such a knack for how this mechanical stuff should fit together so well? I struggle with making hard surface assets looking functional, do you concept this out first or just start modeling?
  • Jeffrotull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    How your mind even comprehends the way this all fits together is amazing sir. Love all of it especially the updated door anims.