Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Stream

wez
wez
8aXe7XQ.jpg

Work in progress of a theme. I know a lot of people miss the nature maps, so thought i'd try my hand at one. :)

Replies

• wez
  • Charnettex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow it's really beautiful, I really like the open feeling it gives. I'm not quiet sure how to put this but it has a lot of opacity so it comes off looking quiet and open. It will contrast the battling really well. I think it is excellently done. And the colors are really tied together nice I might add warm colored flowers or something to counter the over powering blue though; unless you really wanted to keep with that strict cold color theme.
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely pastel like colors Wez, you have a real knack for fantasy and colorful environments. I loved your New age industrial Deck 17 and your space castle was super vibrant.

I think if you want to try your hand at outdoor environments, try to give something more to the environment than just rocks and water. If we're talking about Epic wanting clarity, if I were to look at this in the game I wouldnt know where I could and couldn't go. I'd also look into what Epic has done before with uniquely UT environments like Tokara forest to get some ideas.

I think this one will come down to scale it wouldn't be that "Unreal" if it were a smaller stream but ramped up a bit platforming between raging white rapids would definitely showcase the Unreal 4 Engine and be a very cool outdoor setting. It could be a really nice base for an Onslaught map as well. In any case, I would say at least add a figure for scale reference here to get the scale, the indoor map paint-overs are a different beast because Epic already knows the scale of Deck16 and those indoor maps, looking at this though it could be anywhere in between.

Lastly I love your energy you put into the water, it's sketchy but it doesn't need to be over-rendered it's got a great sense of motion. You whipped this sketch up in a day and I'd like to see a variation off of it, another shot in another area of the "map" theme. Great work as always.
  • wez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wez
    469lWgW.jpg

woops forgot to update this one, Flowers would have been a wonderful idea, I accidentally went for rain at the time tho and its pretty merged >>