Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel SUITE - News

Replies

• -FP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -FP null
    Wondering what's the workflow for UE4, because right off the bat the generated albedo is not "suitable" for a roughness/metallic workflow (at least for metals), and on top of that we don't get an actual roughness map, just a gloss map and I don't know if inverting it is accurate.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An official Unreal4 workflow will be released soon with an update to the Quixel SUITE supporting it.

Here is the scene we released on the marketplace recently broken down maybe this will help you for now. Feel free to also post your tech support needs and questions in the tech thread and Teddy will sort you out.

http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=deusexbreakdown

Thanks!
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HUGE thanks everyone for the feedback! Yes, Ryan is right, UE4 is our top priority right now and it will be part of the next update. Also, improved Toolbag 2 integration (you can actually link them using the cross-app mode if you haven't tried it!) is something we're getting in there.

One of the bigger features that awaits is the exporter -- right now it's a clearly missing part of DDO as you currently have now way of exporting your textures with ease. This is a super high priority and will also make it into one of the first few updates.

Brygelsmack: To keep things manageable we will do our best to have the Megascans beta ready when the suite beta feels stable and finished enough. That being said about 1.3 GB of generic scan samples ship with DDO and lays the foundation for all smart materials. Check it out if you haven't already!

explodingseashells: There is a special Duplicate feature for this inside NDO! NDO & DDO rely on layer names to accurately process them, and duplicating by hand in PS screws up the naming, hence the Duplicate buttons :) Sorry for the hassle.

Elyaradine: Thank you for the suggestion! We'll make sure to add input only samples to the Wiki too. We'll also put up a few more samples shortly.

Millenia: Badass, really appreciate the share. Here is an art dump thread for future endeavours: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135731

Thanks everyone for the great support!

- Teddy
  • keelhauler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keelhauler polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing piece of software, thanks!
  • theironpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theironpaw polycounter lvl 7
    Wooo! Can't wait!
  • darthjosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darthjosh polycounter lvl 3
    Is anyone else seeing where all the videos are? I can only see the dDo+3do workflow video and the Deus ex hallway video on the wiki. Can you guys post them on your YouTube page too?
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the videos, hope they help you out we will push them to the normal youtube channel soon. We also will be making more videos and workflow tutorials as well. If there is anything you would like to see please post it up in here guys, Thanks!
    New Project:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KvvP27U2A8"]DDO Wiki: New Project - YouTube[/ame]
    Layers:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGARudqwjGs"]DDO Wiki: Layers - YouTube[/ame]
    Materials:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXPORiyVbVo"]DDO Wiki: Materials - YouTube[/ame]
    Smart Materials:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltYc6D4v2mo"]DDO Wiki: Smart Materials - YouTube[/ame]
    Dynamask:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLuhRGqJiqA"]DDO Wiki: Dynamask - YouTube[/ame]
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Exporting the finished maps is a pain. It would be nice to have it set up like Legacy DDO. One-click export of each map, and have the choice to set the gloss maps in the alpha channel of the spec map.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    In case anyone uses the dDo Material Manager (Maya Plugin), the Quixel SUITE comes with a very outdated version but you can grab the latest version here.
  • bfg900
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I'm starting with the helmet tutorial but it seems that the c+shift+click doesn't work at all.
    Have you ever experienced it?
    Pressing these buttons do nothing. :(
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome!!! cant wait to try this out
    Thank you Ryan
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    bfg900 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm starting with the helmet tutorial but it seems that the c+shift+click doesn't work at all.
    Have you ever experienced it?
    Pressing these buttons do nothing. :(

did you hold c and shift-click on one of the color masks? just making sure.
  • Jaidek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaidek polycounter lvl 11
    Great update to an already amazing program! I do have a question and a request. First the question. I know that the big addition to DDO is PBR support, is there any way to toggle this on/off in order to support proper map generation for older engines (UE3/Unity)?

Also I have a small feature request. When there are many layers in the DDO file, adjusting layers can take a while and sometimes it is hard to spot the changes you've made when waiting 30+ seconds. Would it be possible to create a before/after button in 3DO? If the current 3DO image could be stored before update, we could then toggle between the original and changed image. Obviously moving the camera would clear this, but could be very handy. Just a thought. :)
  • bfg900
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly.
    I hold c and shift-click on one of the color masks.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    copyright polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, Quixel SUITE keeps giving me these errors when I apply the color map and when I press "Create Base"

I have tried with following without any luck

~ re-installed photoshop

~ re-installed Quixel SUITE

2014-06-11_0352.png

2014-06-11_0352.png

2014-06-11_0352.png
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colormap needs to be PNG at the moment that is why it is crashing probably. Try using that and let us know if that works.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Try removing the apostrophe and other special characters from your file path. That's been known to cause crashing and other weird behavior.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Works now! Awesome!
  • explodingseashells
    hey thanks for the reply regarding the duplication issue. I solved the issue by installing CC (i was using CS6).
  • andrewterry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everybody.
    I'm wondering wich way you correct (for example spec, gloss) after u export it and save as bitmap. The matter is that in preview window(skyshop) i see all so colorfull, bright and shiny, but after exporting final maps and putting in (for example in to Marmoset Toolbag2) the mesh loocks dull and faded.
    The question is wich way u solve it???
    (manualy in ddo or just put adj. layers in photoshop above the final map (levels, bri/contr e.t.c.)

Thanx in advance!!!
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Andrew,

3DO and Marmoset use different values for the maps that is why they look differently. If your end result is going to be rendering with Toolbag2 then you should be able to still use DDO and in the drop down menu of DDO select cross app mode. This will allow you to place DDO over Toolbag2 and start texturing as long as your textures are hot loaded from the preview folder. We should be setting up more modes soon so that when your texturing you can choose your desired output values. Thanks for the reports and Questions.
  • OutOfMyMind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    Will this software ever be Photoshop independent? :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hello Andrew,

3DO and Marmoset use different values for the maps that is why they look differently. If your end result is going to be rendering with Toolbag2 then you should be able to still use DDO and in the drop down menu of DDO select cross app mode. This will allow you to place DDO over Toolbag2 and start texturing as long as your textures are hot loaded from the preview folder. We should be setting up more modes soon so that when your texturing you can choose your desired output values. Thanks for the reports and Questions.

in what way are they different? are we talking linear vs sRGB here?
  • SasharX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys, you did a great job!
  • Mr Whippy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    Maybe I'm a bit confused about materials here.

But if we're using PBR in 3DO, why do we have access to diffuse intensity? Surely diffuse and specular are inter-mixed based on the gloss slider/control map?

I'm struggling to know how to set the diffuse/specular sliders here, it seems like once PBR is set then these should be blanked out?
    Can we have PBR with diffuse and specular zero'd out? What does that even represent?

Thanks

Dave

edit: or when we use PBR, is specular now becoming an IOR input map channel to influence fresnel? Is it linear or gamma space if so?!

And what level of gloss does the gloss map go from, I assume it's in gamma space to allow for finer control of values with 8 bit maps at the lower end of IOR values?!

Any tips on correct usage so it aligns with most common PBR shaders would be great :)

Thanks again

Dave
  • TerryVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TerryVFX polycounter lvl 3
    I have a noob question here, if for example I'm working on a mesh that I will use for animation and I'm skipping the typical high poly to low poly normal map generation workflow, can I still get advantage of the texturing capabilities of DDO? Since after reading a bit the guides and checking up some tutorials I have notice that the imput normal map slot is essential.

Thanks.
  • bfg900
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to texture my District 9 rifle with and without the normal map. It seems the normal map is essential as you mentioned. I don't think it's worth trying without normals.
    But let's wait for the official answer. :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everybody.
    I'm wondering wich way you correct (for example spec, gloss) after u export it and save as bitmap. The matter is that in preview window(skyshop) i see all so colorfull, bright and shiny, but after exporting final maps and putting in (for example in to Marmoset Toolbag2) the mesh loocks dull and faded.
    The question is wich way u solve it???
    (manualy in ddo or just put adj. layers in photoshop above the final map (levels, bri/contr e.t.c.)

Thanx in advance!!!

So there is sort of a variety of stuff at play here.

First off, 3DO is based off Marmoset Skyshop, so the shaders are a little different to the TB2 shaders.

Secondly, the Quixel guys have done a bunch of modifications on top of that for various features, so some implementation may vary there.

Thirdly. there is the matter of light. The default lighting in 3DO is going to vary from whatever you have in TB, if the result in TB looks dark, try adjusting the skylight intensity, and/or adding some lights (either with the skylight editor or manually).

Forthly, without knowing how your shaders are set up in TB (shader models, exact settings, etc) its difficult to give detailed suggestions on how to more closely match the two apps.

As Ryan says, if the end goal is to present the model in Toolbag, you should set DDO to cross-app mode, and load the preview jpegs into a material in TB2. This will get you live updating similar to 3DO, the only real limitation there I think is there isn't a way to select masks in the TB2 viewport, but that's something we may look into in the future.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Is there a way that 3DO Auto Updates the Mesh when i Modify the Maps per Hand?
    I setted Up my Maps in dDo, but here and there is still some wear and scratches missing.
    Im doing that per Hand, but 3DO is not auto updating. Anybody know how to set 3DO to AUto Update when working manually in the dDo PSD Files?
  • Devil_Inside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to hand paint masks?
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    TerryVFX wrote: »
    I have a noob question here, if for example I'm working on a mesh that I will use for animation and I'm skipping the typical high poly to low poly normal map generation workflow, can I still get advantage of the texturing capabilities of DDO? Since after reading a bit the guides and checking up some tutorials I have notice that the imput normal map slot is essential.

Thanks.

As I understand it, you can use a curvature map instead of normal map.
    Is there a way to hand paint masks?

Just crate a blank mask, then click on the little mask box to edit it.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a bit confused right now, I am trying to edit my wood however, I do not see any layer allowing me to edit the gloss of it and add material detail to it.

This is what I've done so far:

~ Plugged in a material ID with the wood being "Varnished Wood"

~ Plugged in a Diffuse Map with the photo sourced wood I created myself.

Screenshot:

Untitled-4.jpg
  • CosmosXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So how does the Quixel suite (mainly ddo) work with software different than autodesk maya and 3ds max? For example Cinema 4D.
    Can I just bake the textures and proceed like in the tutorials? Or do I have to take care of something special?
  • Devil_Inside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov wrote: »
    Just crate a blank mask, then click on the little mask box to edit it.
    Thanks, that worked!

Another question.
    If I've set my working resolution to 25%. I've then clicked on "Rerender(Full Resolution)" to check out how my maps look in full resolution. Is there a way to get back to working at 25% of the full resolution?
  • hooblegooblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hooblegooblin polycounter lvl 5
    I've been really excited to use this ever since I heard about the update. Just installed the beta.

A problem I've encountered, though, is starting up dDo or nDo. I linked my install of Photoshop CS 5 with the Suite, and the panel with the suite icons shows up within PS when I use the Suite launcher. However, clicking an icon has no response. This is the same with both nDo and dDo. 3Do actually launches when I click it's icon.

Am I doing something incorrectly, or is CS5 not compatible with the new version of dDo and nDo?
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys,
    I would like to know how a megascan texture like the bricks can be used in UE4 correcrly with the high map, basically i would like to make the texture look in UE4 like in the ddo preview...
  • TheMetaMorphe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMetaMorphe polycounter lvl 12
    For people who get Quixel suit not working (no response, DoJavaScript error, toolbar vanishing) on CS version of photoshop, try to use CC version. It worked for me.
  • hooblegooblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hooblegooblin polycounter lvl 5
    This did the job for me. Running CS 5.
    Originally Posted by Johnm3D viewpost.gif
    Hi guys, for all those who get the 0x80029C4A Errors or when you click nDo2 or dDo and nothing happens, you need to give the applications admin rights.

Navigate here -

then to fix this error for myself I Right Click > Properties > Compatibility > then tick box "Run this program as an administrator"

I did this too the 3DO.exe, DDO.exe, NDO.exe and SUITE.exe

this fixed all my problems and now the entire suit works perfectly :)

hope this helps others !! ty for the hard work Quixel :)

• copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    copyright wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused right now, I am trying to edit my wood however, I do not see any layer allowing me to edit the gloss of it and add material detail to it.

This is what I've done so far:

~ Plugged in a material ID with the wood being "Varnished Wood"

~ Plugged in a Diffuse Map with the photo sourced wood I created myself.

Screenshot:

Untitled-4.jpg

bump
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Each map is now a separate PS document. You'll notice on the ddo shelf tabs for each map — albedo, AO, gloss, normal, and specular.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But when I link my wood to "Varnished Wood" and do not plug in a diffuse map, there is no material for "Varnished Wood" It does not let me adjust the gloss or apply any details to it.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Well yeah I can't even see the varnished wood material in the ddo viewer so add it manually (icons on the bottom middle).
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Varnished Wood is located in neither Smart Materials or Add Material, but it is located in the ID Links?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Maybe that's why then, it's not yet added as a material but is available in the links. Just create a blank/new material and add your custom wood texture manually.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I pressed "Add Clean Layer" But how do I mask it according to my color ID?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    See in your previous screenshot how the Iron material has a green square next to it? If it's blank it's not masked to anything; clicking the square opens a dropdown box that lets you assign that material to a colour id.
  • AirmanCS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there :D, thank you very much for this amazing software I have already read some of the people observations in order to not be redundant, besides the exporter for dDo that is due, I would like to have a delete button on the layers in nDo instead of manually deleting the layer since that doesn’t update the layer list on the nDo window, everything else looks good and this already starting to feel amazing! Can't wait to play with it more! :D
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the amazing feedback! I'll do my best to answer as thoroughly as possible.

Bartalon: Thank you for linking to the latest version. This will make it into the next build.

Jaidek: Yes! In 3DO you can turn PBR off, and when you set up your project you can load the "Base Definition" preset to quickly bake in cavity and AO into your albedo and specular maps. This effect is also available as a smart material. Also make sure to turn AO off in the Output maps. In the next update you will find a dropdown in the base creator for selecting project types (PBR, UE4 PBR, CE3 PBR, UDK/Unity, Diffuse Only).

Mr Whippy: With PBR being so new to the industry, multiple standards have emerged and it's easy to get confused. DDO should of course support all these standards, and will shortly. The current default is most similar to the Toolbag 2 default in how values are handled: Specular intensity defines the amount of specularly reflected light at 0 degree viewing angle. It is computed in gamma color space, and so an average metallic specular reflection would likely fall within the 75-98% reflectance range, and a non-metal usually somewhere between 15-22%.

Note that specular intensity is not to be confused with IOR -- they are related in that they dictate the Fresnel curve but not interchangeable terms. With the next update comes Metalness support, and correct, this workflow eliminates the use of a specular map. The albedo map always remains editable however, as it both represents diffuse reflectance intensity for non-metals as well as specular reflectance intensity for metals. Thus specular for non-metals is locked to a default average, and albedo is locked to 0% for metals. Rather elegant solution really.

TerryVFX: Yes, you can take full advantage of DDO by just having a highpoly, as opposed to the high-to-low normals workflow. You can input a cavity map instead for best results (we'll have tutorials up on this shortly), or simply only input an AO map -- DDO will generate curvature automatically from the AO if no cavity has been input.

Here are two examples that are high-poly only. None of the examples have normal maps. The first example uses a Cavity map, the second example uses an AO map:

feature_06.jpg
    feature_11.jpg

And here is a LookDev example without UVs (textured plane):

feature_02.jpg

Gazu: DDO does not currently auto-update when manually tinkering with the PSD, to avoid unexpected annoyances of having to wait for automatic previewer updates. There is however the texture refresh button in the bottom right corner off DDO -- CTRL click this button and you will only update the current map in the previewer (instead of all).

Devil_Inside: In the second update you will find full hand painting support that will let you make hand painted edits to DynaMasks non-destructively. Until then there are a few other workflows you can try, for example: when your DynaMask is done and added, paint in the PS layer mask to your heart's content in the PS layer stack, and then quickly transfer the edits to all other maps by using the "Propagate mask to all maps" feature in the top left options dropdown.

Regarding work resolution: Yes! You can upscale to full resolution at any time just as well as you can downscale again at any time. To downscale, go to "Reimport inputs...", open up the Options expander, and type in the new work resolution (25%). Hit Rerender and you will go back to working in quarter resolution again :)

hooblegooblin: I am really happy you got it up and running. Thank you for posting the solution. All hail Johnm3D :)

copyright: Sorry for the confusion! Some ID links currently do not have Smart Materials linked to them (as Bek suggests) -- they all will eventually as the Smart Material library grows. Metals and plastics are currently the best linked categories. That being said, you can still create layers and groups from the ID Links automatically by choosing "Create base layers" in the Base Creator options. You can also add them by hand after the fact by creating a clean layer, right click on its reflectance and choosing the Varnished Wood Quick PBR value.

AirmanCS: Good point. Can't believe I missed that really. Will add the delete button in NDO in this next release!

- Teddy
  • redmotion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redmotion polycounter lvl 7
    Bartalon wrote: »
    Try removing the apostrophe and other special characters from your file path. That's been known to cause crashing and other weird behavior.

Love the Suite so far. nDo ran all evening yesterday with not a single crash. I actually haven't been able to use Quixel tools due to endless crashing, instability etc. So thanks for making it such quality from the get go.

That said, if there are major crash inducing things like this (quote) please put a warning somewhere in the program itself! I don't mind stuff like this as long as I know about it and I am warned about it BY THE PROGRAM, so I don't have to read through 40 pages of forum posts to find the workaround.

Do you have a known issues/workarounds page for things like this?

POSSIBLE BUG?: I noticed that after several trys generating a hard surface heightmap from an nDo normal just basically killed the suite completely. (using PS CC - win7 x64)