Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Ok spuds, so I read your tutorial, and I heard of this program called VTFedit. Do I need to use it? And are there any other programs I need that I missed in the tutorial? (Other than notepad ++)

Depends on what you need, VTFedit just lets you save images as vtf files with a bunch of options. If you're just importing through the ingame importer, you'll pretty much never need it.
  • kingofwar1994
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some ppl tells me that is some programs appear things what others programs not appear it,
    is that true? because im using MODO and still beginner with it, need some help guide about it if someone had some experience with, add me on steam please if possible,
    steam name: ҚĩЙģǾƒ₩λŘرآو
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    some ppl tells me that is some programs appear things what others programs not appear it,
    is that true? because im using MODO and still beginner with it, need some help guide about it if someone had some experience with, add me on steam please if possible,
    steam name: ҚĩЙģǾƒ₩λŘرآو

No idea what you are trying to ask here, plz clarify
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, I finally finished my Earth Spirit set! Thanks to Spud, belkun and anyone else who commented on it to help make it better!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=264774382
    ES_promo1.jpg
  • kingofwar1994
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    No idea what you are trying to ask here, plz clarify

not good English, what i want to say is, if someone have MODO program just try to open terrorblade weapons from technical requirements, see if it visible or not, because its not with me...
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not good English, what i want to say is, if someone have MODO program just try to open terrorblade weapons from technical requirements, see if it visible or not, because its not with me...

Does not look like it has anything to do with Modo, it looks like the .fbx files don't actually have the weapon meshes inside them, only the rigs

fcky.gif
  • Kramolnik
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Kramolnik wrote: »
    ART_m.jpg

That chestpiece is very unnecessary, tasteless, and feels very disrespectful to the character. PA's breasts are covered (With armour!) which is a liberty that not many of the dota ladies are granted.

The detailing on the weapon and shoulders are nice, but i'm struggling to find a reason for making an item that is a half exposed pair of breasts for an otherwise heavily armoured set.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Artypi wrote: »
    That chestpiece is very unnecessary, tasteless, and feels very disrespectful to the character. PA's breasts are covered (With armour!) which is a liberty that not many of the dota ladies are granted.

The detailing on the weapon and shoulders are nice, but i'm struggling to find a reason for making an item that is a half exposed pair of breasts for an otherwise heavily armoured set.

But you can't normally see her breasts on her base model so he had to model them. I hate this argument about it being tasteless, as if women in real life exposing cleavage are indecent or some shit like that.

Edit: She also has a pretty face exposed, should that be covered up as well in your opinion?
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    darkkyo wrote: »
    But you can't normally see her breasts on her base model. I hate this argument about it being tasteless, as if women in real life exposing cleavage are indecent or some shit like that.

why do we NEED to see them? instead of "i cant see her breasts, so i must model them!" why not "i cant see her breasts, so i'm going to be a creative designer and make something that isnt intentionally sexualising a character and embraces that she wears armour"
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    But you can't normally see her breasts on her base model so he had to model them. I hate this argument about it being tasteless, as if women in real life exposing cleavage are indecent or some shit like that.

Still, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to have a lot of heavy armor everywhere on the set and then some obviously gratuitous cleavage for no apparent reason. It really conflicts with the rest of the set design.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why do we NEED to see them? it's a joke

You don't need to but some women's garments happen to do just that, why not have a single armor set out there that does it? The argument can be justified both ways. Why does it NEED to be covered up?
    belkun wrote: »
    Still, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to have a lot of heavy armor everywhere on the set and then some obviously gratuitous cleavage for no apparent reason. It really conflicts with the rest of the set design.

I guess for me it looks like it fits just fine. It's a corset, and the tops of the breast being exposed doesn't really take away from the look of the chestpiece + shoulders. In my opinion it is just tasteful enough.

But that's my opinion and I know most here will see it differently so that's all I'll say about it.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    why do we NEED to see them? it's a joke

We don't NEED to, it's just a variation on design? Many other PA sets are heavily armoured and simply use her default chestpiece. This looks different to all the rest and I think it's a good thing people are experimenting with changing things that are not straightforward to change.

Granted, it may not be the most tasteful of designs but then neither are many of the other female characters as Artypi said. I can see where you are coming from with the whole "sexualized female armour" argument. And I agree it is stupid but imo it fits with the other game characters and armour pieces so I see no problem with it.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    You don't need to but some women's garments happen to do just that, why not have a single armor set out there that does it? The argument can be justified both ways. Why does it NEED to be covered up?

Because functional armor wouldn't have an open spot right over your vital organs.

I hate this argument about it being tasteless, as if women in real life exposing cleavage are indecent or some shit like that.

This is a can of worms. As polycount is a community of artists, maybe keep the critique on the art and realize a community is full of people with different opinions, ideologies, and virtues.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Because functional armor wouldn't have an open spot right over your vital organs.

This is a can of worms. As polycount is a community of artists, maybe keep the critique on the art and realize a community is full of people with different opinions, ideologies, and virtues.

I just said that all of these are opinions, and I think that tastefulness is an integral part of any art critique. Tastefulness regarding obscenity, integrity, style and design, and anything else that might apply. I didn't mean to open a can of worms, in fact I'd go as far as to say that the first person to call it tasteless and disrespectful is the can-opener. I feel like showing a little skin is hardly disrespectful. As for the critique that it's not covering up vital organs remember that Mortred is supposed to be a character that's hidden from the line of fire most of the time. Like I said earlier, if you're going to make that argument then you could make a similar argument about why her face isn't covered/protected.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Guys you know nothing about female armors!! 0_0

908fe-armorclasscastanics.jpg

End of story :D
    Saying this I upvoted PA all the way :)
    ps. Even lore-wise she is an assassin not a knight.... she could be naked as well.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Showing a little skin isn't disrespectful at all, but context is key.

Why would she have a boob-window in this scenario? Is it because it's something PA's character would want to wear into battle?(nope) Or is it to be titillating to the viewer?(bingo)

Either way it feels like a lazy and cheap addition to an otherwise great set. Out of all the female characters in dota 2 PA is by far the least sexualized and I'd argue that's a defining part of what makes her character different. Heck, broodmother would be more likely to wear that outfit and she doesn't even have boobs :P

Edit:
    Konras wrote: »
    908fe-armorclasscastanics.jpg

Stuff like this would be enough to turn me off a game entirely, it tells me that the developers would rather have a player demographic of 13 year old boys than make women feel welcome to be playing their game. :X

Edit2:

Thanks you, sums it up right there.
  • BladeofEvilsBane
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone feel like making a Gaul inspired set for omniknight?

furor_celticus_400px.jpg
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Showing a little skin isn't disrespectful at all, but context is key.

Why would she have a boob-window in this scenario? Is it because it's something PA's character would want to wear into battle?(nope) Or is it to be titillating to the viewer?(bingo)

Either way it feels like a lazy and cheap addition to an otherwise great set. Out of all the female characters in dota 2 PA is by far the least sexualized and I'd argue that's a defining part of what makes her character different. Heck, broodmother would be more likely to wear that outfit and she doesn't even have boobs :P

Edit:

Stuff like this would be enough to turn me off a game entirely, it tells me that the developers would rather have a player demographic of 13 year old boys than make women feel welcome to be playing their game. :X

thank you pres for your very eloquent summary of my thoughts
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9

There is plenty of topless male heroes for the 13 year old girls.
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »

word.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    There is plenty of topless male heroes for the 13 year old girls.

I haven't played the game, I'm just going by the image I see up top, if it's a korean mmo I believe you though hah.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Heck, broodmother would be more likely to wear that outfit and she doesn't even have boobs

Woah. Arcana anyone?
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit:
    This is the type of argument that bugs the crap out of me. It's misogyny disguised as being female-protective. You try to express that representing a woman with less clothing on is sexist because "that's what immature/sexist guys want" but what you're really doing is speaking for women when you don't know what women want. How do you know some women don't own baring some skin? In some games and MMOs men might enjoy playing as a ripped, shirtless dude but is that seen as sexist? More often than not, video games are power fantasies and for some women that look might be what their fantasy entails.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Guys you talk like PA would be some kind of warrior or other type of knight. She is an assassin. MP3 posted above was from LC dialog line. LC is warrior so its the way she should be dressed up.
    Well show me one assassin in full armor from any fantasy genre and I will understand your sudden shock about PA. Otherwise in my eyes your just making storm in glass of water.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion, a lot of this can be properly solved by 2 things.
    1. do proper research on armor and fashion design references for pieces.
    2. stop using games as reference, and justifying bad decisions by bad game art.

There is nothing wrong with showing off skin, that's not the point. Design integrity of the concept is pretty much on trial here. What is showing off massive cleavage bringing to this character, to this piece? Why is it there? How functional is this armor? How is this justified? Is it in place with Dota as a game? How bout PA as a character? What is the lore that would justify the character walking to a blacksmith and having this crafted for her to wear into battle?

So many of these questions could be completely annihilated with real world reference from both fashion and armor design.

Honestly the piece makes her look stiff, it looks choking to wear and incredibly uncomfortable. I would not imagine one could move very easily in the armor she is wearing, and that probably has to do with the verticality of the promo image. It seems very masculine in the shoulders and helmet, and then boobs. I think your overall execution is good, but the concept is flawed due to lack of research and reference.
    Konras wrote: »
    ps.Even lore-wise she is an assassin not a knight.... she could be naked as well.

Also, I'd like to read the rulebook that says this is okay.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Give PA a reason to expose cleavage because I can't think of one
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I haven't played the game, I'm just going by the image I see up top, if it's a korean mmo I believe you though hah.

I was talking about Dota 2 :P
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the type of argument that bugs the crap out of me. It's misogyny disguised as being female-protective. You try to express that representing a woman with less clothing on is sexist because "that's what immature/sexist guys want" but what you're really doing is speaking for women when you don't know what women want. How do you know some women don't own baring some skin? In some games and MMOs men might enjoy playing as a ripped, shirtless dude but is that seen as sexist? More often than not, video games are power fantasies and for some women that look might be what their fantasy entails.

Do you really believe that armor was designed to appeal to women?

Edit:
    MdK wrote: »
    I was talking about Dota 2 :P

Oh, well I actually can't think of a single male hero that's sexualized at all... AM maybe? But the fohawk ruins that :P
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    You try to express that representing a woman with less clothing on is sexist because "that's what immature/sexist guys want" but what you're really doing is speaking for women when you don't know what women want. How do you know some women don't own baring some skin?

(I'm a woman...)
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Have you seen male armor in Tera?
    vD0wPQB.jpg
    That's some effective armor there! Your opinion is a double standard when it comes to Tera(and Tera is one of the more extreme examples of bare-skinned armor as it is).
    (I'm a woman...)

... and? I was talking to president.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Edit:

Oh, well I actually can't think of a single male hero that's sexualized at all... AM maybe? But the fohawk ruins that :P

Antimage definitely
    beastmaster, maybe axe..
    juggs maybe
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This Terra model is nothing compared to this.

HvwtEeg.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's a reason I made this in the first place
    061CEE7673F0608D906E22BCCEDEEB2284B2CA8F
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5

You violently dismissed my opinion, and when pres makes a post that i wholeheartedly agree with for being my thoughts but more eloquently expressed you make the suggestion that he doesnt know how women feel.

I really dont know where you're trying to go with this.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You violently dismissed my opinion, and when pres makes a post that i wholeheartedly agree with for being my thoughts but more eloquently expressed you make the suggestion that he doesnt know how women feel.

I really dont know where you're trying to go with this.

I don't claim to represent the desires of all men just as you can't claim to represent the desires of all women. Whether or not you were a woman had nothing to do with my opposition to your opinion. Things like this are left to preference and opinion.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That's some effective armor there! Your opinion is a double standard when it comes to Tera(and Tera is one of the more extreme examples of bare-skinned armor as it is).

*cough*
    2. stop using games as reference, and justifying bad decisions by bad game art.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give PA a reason to expose cleavage because I can't think of one

Well with evasion granted from Blur, being heavily armored is less of a concern... and fashion

hofashion.gif
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Okay, can any of you guys then give a arguement why vengeful is dressed like this?
    1964400321_1398514594.jpg What does it do for her character? This is not a arguement for any of the opinions btw.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we can never discuss a contributors design choices without bringing up something else valve has done before can we?
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    Hi everyone! Sorry for interrupting the discussion but I'm in need of some feedback :)
    Making a staff for natures prophet. Here's some in-game screenshots and a marmoset render.

In_Game_Pre1_Staff.png

screenshot001.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone! Sorry for interrupting the discussion but I'm in need of some feedback :)
    Making a staff for natures prophet. Here's some in-game screenshots and a marmoset render.

It seems like you are trying to squeeze out too much detail, or maybe just too many mushrooms. The issue i have with it is upclose you can see a lot of the edges of the geometry. maybe a few less shrooms so you can give some more edges to some of the other shrooms. And I think it needs a nice value shift/gradient going from the bottom up, it seems like there is one, but maybe its just a bit too subtle for my tastes
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    I think generally the base model should tell you how much armor you can remove from a hero. There's a reason qop still has armor in her base model to explain to artists that she is not to be made into a complete pornstar, similarly with PA. On the other side, heroes like bloodseeker are next to naked in their base model because they are feral creatures and there are variations of designs that will work successfully with him with less clothes, same with beastmaster etc.

You should always add to the base model but when you start taking away, you are have to be aware that you are going stepping past the cutoff point for customization. Sometimes it can be in good taste and work. But as a general rule its probably not advisable
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    kite212: Good point. I'll give that a try! Thank's :)
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we can never discuss a contributors design choices without bringing up something else valve has done before can we?

amen.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

No I haven't, and yep, that's some sexualized male armor all right. At least they're equal-opportunity about it. I can't say the same for the majority of games out there though; which is partially why game playing demographics are so male dominated. Something I'm hoping will change soon.

No need to be rude. There's something... off... about claiming to know what women want in a game while also dismissing the opinion of the only woman currently in the discussion XD.

And you haven't responded to a couple of questions I asked earlier:

-Does it fit PA's character/would she wear that into a battle?
    -Or is it meant to be titillating to the (male) viewer?
    -Do you really believe [the female tera] armor was designed to appeal to women? (The male armor puts this more in context as a highly sexualized game overall, but the question still stands)
    Okay, can any of you guys then give a arguement why vengeful is dressed like this?

What does it do for her character? This is not a arguement for any of the opinions btw.

No, I can't, and actually the original vengeful spirit was my least-liked design out of all the heroes and that was partially why. I was hoping they'd change that more with the rework but they didn't.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    @TheIceHeLater I agree with kite, perhaps make less shrooms and them give them more tri's, it'll help the look of them a lot^^ Also, I feel you should put the two pieces of wood closer to each other, it doesn't really seem like the straps are holding them together, but more preventing the other piece of wood from floating away. I like the overall concept though man! Gj^^

@hawf Well how can we not draw something of relation from the game we're talking about? Should we completely disregard the game in the discussion of if something fits the game?
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    What does it do for her character? This is not a arguement for any of the opinions btw.
    Her lore says she was snared in an assassins net which tore her wings apart. Her torn and sundered clothing reflects this and her fallen state.
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    @TheIceHeLater I agree with kite, perhaps make less shrooms and them give them more tri's, it'll help the look of them a lot^^ Also, I feel you should put the two pieces of wood closer to each other, it doesn't really seem like the straps are holding them together, but more preventing the other piece of wood from floating away. I like the overall concept though man! Gj^^

@hawf Well how can we not draw something of relation from the game we're talking about? Should we completely disregard the game in the discussion of if something fits the game?

I deleted two mushrooms and got enough tris to impove the silhouette a great deal. Thanks for the wake up call :)