Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Engine 4

Replies

• Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    So far I'm seeing a lot of really nice changes! Content browser is all folder based and is much easier to manage, plus all assets are stored individually instead of in massive packages. Love the ability to drop nodes in the material editor by typing their name, like in Houdini. In short, it's familiar enough that you get up and running fast, but there's a ton of nice little features. Oh, and importing textures automatically set my texture compression based my texture type. Nice!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    marks wrote: »
    God yeah, get with the times Justin :p

hehe, maybe it's a discussion better left to another thread. Nobody got left behind ;)
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee wrote: »
    hey guy how do you set the default unreal project folder location?

When you create a new project, there's an arrow dropdown on the lower right corner of the screen that let's you set a custom directory.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Harbinger wrote: »
    When you create a new project, there's an arrow dropdown on the lower right corner of the screen that let's you set a custom directory.

Does it work ? I see many people on have the issue with selecting project folder.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    Does it work ? I see many people on have the issue with selecting project folder.

So far it's working for me, but I'm just beginning to put it through its paces. When I click Launch from the Unreal Engine Launcher window, I get a Unreal Project Browser window popup. From there, if you don't see your project right away, you can hit browse and locate the .uproject file. Mine shows up by default now.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think many people are just not used to the change in directory workflow from UDK, where you had a unique install for each project. UE4 installs to program files and you can have multiple projects with the same install, just like how unity handles projects.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgive me if this has already been asked, but if I plop down $20 and immediately unsubscribe, just to try out the editor before going monthly, would I have to pay retroactively for new updates when I do subscribe again?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No. You pay in future you will get newest version that is available.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Nope you would not have to pay retroactively.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No.

EDIT: Damn it!
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In that case, I'm sold.
    Thanks, guys!

Oh, another question: can you sell blueprints and/or code on the marketplace?
  • WarrenM
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it planned for the future?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Users selling content in the store is planned, yes.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet. Thanks, guys!
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Guys anyone having really low frame rate in simulate and play modes?Is this normal?For instance reflection scene run at 40-50 frames in normal mode compared to simulate and play modes 15-20 frames?

i7 2600k, 8GB, Nvidia 570GTX 1.25GB.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you sure you have realtime rendering enabled when working in editor ?

Your GPU looks really outdated for what editor actually needs.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    My 570 is also bogged down when simulate/play is selected on the reflection level. It's the entire level too, not just one focusing on one of the actors. It's only an issue on that level though, so I'm not too bothered by it.
  • divi
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    They are demonstrating some stuff on twitch from GDC right now http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    The materials are so nice and such a great idea to have from the outset.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I just wanted to share the links to our various forums for Unreal, CryEngine, and Unity. Some people may be more interested in them now as the new engines and tools get release.

Unreal Tech Talk: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63
    CryEngine Tech Talk: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64
    Unity Tech Talk: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69

And our brand new Unity Store forum: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79
  • dmj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dmj
    edit: i'm not that great at math :\
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    dmj wrote: »
    And when you include the monthly fee of $19.00 against UDK's one time flat fee of $100, the new license is likely more expensive overall.

Your calculations only work out favorably within a certain revenue range. Past that range the 25% of net revenue really starts to eat into profit. The more you make, the larger the cut that 25% accounts for. And of course, there's the fact that the cut other companies takes depends on how you opt to publish. A company that self-publishes a UE4 game for the PC will only ever have to pay the 5%. (no additional 30% to Apple) In a situation like that the 25% of the previous model would be much more damaging.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    Harbinger wrote: »
    So far it's working for me, but I'm just beginning to put it through its paces. When I click Launch from the Unreal Engine Launcher window, I get a Unreal Project Browser window popup. From there, if you don't see your project right away, you can hit browse and locate the .uproject file. Mine shows up by default now.

creating a new project works this way, but every time you download something from the marketplace, it still goes to the default folder, and i searched through those .ini file, couldn't find anything indicate that, my primary drive is getting smaller, this does annoy a bit.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    anybody knows how are metalness and roughtness supposed to work in unreal 4? i have a material looking good in marmoset 2, however when i import it to ue4 it looks strange, already tried inverting normal y channel, so thats not the issue
    Marmoset:
    7D7uE.jpg
    UE4:
    7D7vL.jpg
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just a physically based setup. Think of it in terms of real life. Is it a metal? Is it not? 1 for metals, 0 for non metals, or a mix (not usually). Roughness is just how rough something is. A mirror is perfectly smooth (0), and something 100% diffuse is a roughness of 1.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    I have used quixels reference sheet in marmosets webpage for the roughtness and the metalness of dirt, thats why its strange
  • dmj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dmj
    Your calculations only work out favorably within a certain revenue range. Past that range the 25% of net revenue really starts to eat into profit. The more you make, the larger the cut that 25% accounts for. And of course, there's the fact that the cut other companies takes depends on how you opt to publish. A company that self-publishes a UE4 game for the PC will only ever have to pay the 5%. (no additional 30% to Apple) In a situation like that the 25% of the previous model would be much more damaging.

You're right about it only working for a certain revenue range. For everything above the figure of $100,000 sales that I chose, the new license terms are actually better. And as you point out, self-publishing would be significantly decrease those costs as well.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Yay, I'm a UE4 developer!

But I have a question. How do I download the free content to another hard drive? I used what was left of my SSD for the engine itself so I can't fit anymore of the files. I'm looking for the option to change directory.

Edit: Screw it, I just made more space on my SSD for now and moved them to my other Hard Drive when the download finished.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    maxivz wrote: »
    I have used quixels reference sheet in marmosets webpage for the roughtness and the metalness of dirt, thats why its strange

invert your roughness.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Don't know if that is done by someone around here, but an hour long look at the engine:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBmfwQpjosw"]Engine First look[/ame]
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This video should cover the differences between UE3 and UE4 materials, and explain what the properties of UE4 materials represent and what ranges you should use.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lngF4VVNER4"]Materials - 1 - Intro to Materials - YouTube[/ame]

A good rule of thumb is if you're not painting color directly, you should connect your mask to a lerp between two values that you can edit in the material.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    So, I believe this is because of the deferred lighting but translucent materials no longer reflect/catch specular highlights or screen spaced reflections. Any good ideas on how to best remedy this for my current environment scene? I'm assuming that'd I'd have to use the equivalent to an environment probe in CE3 and then use that map as a cubemap... but I'm just wondering if there were any other clever ideas out there.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Jordan,

In your experience, how does the engine perform with calling in a bunch of materials and lerp-masking between them vs. texturing your entire mesh in something like substance painter where the albedo/roughness/metalness are all handled easily? by performance i also mean the end framerate... lerps are expensive when you're only lerping single vectors let alone multiple vec3's.

Or does the engine do some runtime voodoo and bake it down?
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    RogelioD wrote: »
    So, I believe this is because of the deferred lighting but translucent materials no longer reflect/catch specular highlights or screen spaced reflections. Any good ideas on how to best remedy this for my current environment scene? I'm assuming that'd I'd have to use the equivalent to an environment probe in CE3 and then use that map as a cubemap... but I'm just wondering if there were any other clever ideas out there.

Translucent materials do have reflections. Not great but better than nothing for now. You need to set Translucency Lighting Mode to Surface in the material to enable reflections, and then you can raise the specular value over 1 and up to whatever necessary(not realistic but it works in this case) if you want to boost the reflections.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    So I managed to play with the engine more and I was surprised the least hardware taxing thing were the physics simulations. The effect that brought my PC to its knees were those physically based reflections.

Overall, I'm very impressed. Using UE4 for the first time reminded me of when I unboxed my first game console. Good memories.

I really gotta thank Epic for this. Best $20 spent ever! And it's all going to help me with getting a career some day.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordan,

In your experience, how does the engine perform with calling in a bunch of materials and lerp-masking between them vs. texturing your entire mesh in something like substance painter where the albedo/roughness/metalness are all handled easily? by performance i also mean the end framerate... lerps are expensive when you're only lerping single vectors let alone multiple vec3's.

Or does the engine do some runtime voodoo and bake it down?

I'm guessing your referencing the material layer workflow. Single texture lookups will definitely be faster but the quality of material layers has a performance trade off that's acceptable. Material layers have great resolution because of them being built from tiling textures and the ability to share and globally update is nice.

There is no baking path right now.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    weee wrote: »
    creating a new project works this way, but every time you download something from the marketplace, it still goes to the default folder, and i searched through those .ini file, couldn't find anything indicate that, my primary drive is getting smaller, this does annoy a bit.

A workaround you can try if you're running on Windows is to use symlinks. You can move the project folder to another location, on another drive and create a symlink in its place that points to its new location. It's a fancier version of a shortcut but the difference is that Windows treats the path as if the folder was in the original location when it's really stored elsewhere.

You can use THIS handy extension to make quick symlinks. Move the (Unreal Projects?) folder elsewhere, right-click it "Pick Link Source", go back to the original folder location, right-click "Drop As > Symbolic Link". And you're done. UE will still see the folder as if it was never moved, but your drive space will not be impacted.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky wrote: »
    Translucent materials do have reflections. Not great but better than nothing for now. You need to set Translucency Lighting Mode to Surface in the material to enable reflections, and then you can raise the specular value over 1 and up to whatever necessary(not realistic but it works in this case) if you want to boost the reflections.

Thanks!!! That's just what I was looking for!
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Posted in wrong thread!! SORRY GUYS!!! :poly136:
  • - Livewire -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Livewire - polycounter lvl 9
    What options are available in terms of porting a scene from UE3 to 4? is it possible or do I have to start from scratch?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Need some help.

I followed the UE4 Xnormal documentation workflow to a T, multiple times and the documentation seems wrong, or I am, which is possible.

High / Low / Cage / and Triangulate in 3Dsmax 2014, 1 smoothing group.
    Export triangulated .fbx 2013 to xnormal with same settings as documentation HERE, bake using exported normals and cage.
    Import same triangulated .fbx into UE4

UE4_NormalMap_Error.jpg

The problem:

Exporting from max WITHOUT tangents and binormals never yields a good normal map bake from xnormal into UE4.

There is no 'explicit normals' check box anymore. I can only assume that the "Normal Import Method" replaced this checkbox. Which must be set to Import both Normals and Tangents to yield the best bake.

So is the documentation wrong or am I? I can get the mesh to look very good, but not perfect, is this the best way?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz wrote: »

You should eye ball it unitil it looks right.
    I know how it sounds, but that is how it works in unreal :D.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    iniside wrote: »
    You should eye ball it unitil it looks right.
    I know how it sounds, but that is how it works in unreal :D.
    its a method know as being physically close enough, its all the rage this generation
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    Well also looks like UE4 gets Linux support as well wow hopefully they port the tools as well, that's cool.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Yep, Linux support is in the works :)
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    ambershee wrote: »
    Yep, Linux support is in the works :)

Any idea if the tools will be ported as well ? Or is it just the outputted game/engine as with Unity right now ?
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Any idea where one would start to look about how to create roughness map?

edit: also this thing(ue4) is pure gold!

gold_zpsb07e4548.jpg[/URL]
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    roughness is just inverted gloss.

where gloss was black = rough, white = smooth. with roughness black = smooth, white = rough.