Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Engine 4

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    it can, but it's expensive as fuck. i've got a prototype of it working now, but i have no idea how to optimise it further.

yeah that was my concern. I am sure i could use mat functions to do it. I'll give it a try and see what I come up with.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you can have a play with mine if you like. just ironing out some kinks, i'll talk to you about it on skype.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    i love the idea of using masks to define materials and grime/scratches. it may take a bit more creativity out of the texturing process, but i think its a huge help with consistency. :)
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    ah, cool, nice to see UDK doing this. Love it.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    I wish I could just hear some reasoning as to how this is actually viable. Clearly with UDK and the like this would be hella expensive.

Are they hedging their bets against the future? Do current high-end cards have enough throughput to handle something like this, even on current engines? Are they thinking that they could always bake down stuff for lower end systems, since their mobile support already has similar features? Or some other tech magic?

These guys aren't dumb. Clearly there's a plan here. It's an interesting way to utilize power - as it's clearly hedged towards making things easier to develop. But I guess it does end up having higher quality results as well. Interesting stuff!

On another note entirely:
    What's actually going on with the 'grime' mask and what not? Does each individual material define some sort of "wear" or "grime" output? I mean shit, we've seen and tried stuff like this in the past and there is generally a sort of 'fakeness' to hard-edged definitions of different materials...they don't "blend" well, and it's hard to get the small details you want. They say as much in the video, but I'm not sure I understand how they are solving it, exactly.

Like for example the metal on the Leg armor. It clearly has all these scuffs and stuff, and looks great. They are NOT doing it in a way that there is a 'scuffed metal' and 'shiny metal in the color mask. They are using the 'grime' mask to define where those scuffs are. but where does the 'scuffed' look get defined - is that done per-material I guess?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    cman2k wrote: »
    I wish I could just hear some reasoning as to how this is actually viable. Clearly with UDK and the like this would be hella expensive.

Are they hedging their bets against the future? Do current high-end cards have enough throughput to handle something like this, even on current engines? Are they thinking that they could always bake down stuff for lower end systems, since their mobile support already has similar features?

These guys aren't dumb. Clearly there's a plan here. It's an interesting way to utilize power - as it's clearly hedged towards making things easier to develop. But I guess it does end up having higher quality results as well. Interesting stuff!

What's actually going on with the 'grime' mask and what not? Does each individual material define some sort of "wear" or "grime" output? I mean shit, we've seen and tried stuff like this in the past and there is generally a sort of 'fakeness' to hard-edged definitions of different materials...they don't "blend" well, and it's hard to get the small details you want. They say as much in the video, but I'm not sure I understand how they are solving it, exactly.

Like for example the metal on the Leg armor. It clearly has all these scuffs and stuff, and looks great. They are NOT doing it in a way that there is a 'scuffed metal' and 'shiny metal in the color mask. They are using the 'grime' mask to define where those scuffs are. but where does the 'scuffed' look get defined - is that done per-material I guess?

U4 is supposed to be nextgen, certainly not mobile as far as i know
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I answered my own question by examining the shader in the video - they are defining 'scratch roughness' and 'grime roughness' and other things, at the individual material level. really cool.

Neox: All I meant was that UDK already has mobile stuff that bakes materials down into simpler forms - they have that tech already!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cman2k wrote: »

You set that stuff up. You don't have to have it, "grime," "scratches," etc are not pre-determined in the materials. You could make something without any of that, or include how ever many you want for how many mask textures you want to spend. It is not automated either, you create your textures to show where you want scratches.

for example, if you had a mirror with 0.05 roughness, and a scratch that had .95 roughness, the mask you input to blend between those (that you set up in the layers) makes it possible. That same mask is also then used to alter the color, and metallic properties if necessary. Along the way, you may decide you need some dirt caked on top of the surface, instead of only taking the surface away. You can then add more blends and properties to get dirt in there. I am only talking about a single layer with this example.

You could also have a Wood layer that has scratch & dirt inputs as well, and in the final material you define where wood and mirror go in either the same, or separate mask. If one day someone decides to add a color variation input to the wood layer, when its updated every material that uses it gets that input!

In all of your layers, if you keep it consistent, you will be able to do all dirt in one mask and apply it to all layers. or, if you dont need dirt anywhere else, but other layers require a mask, you can do whatever you want on the other uv islands. It gets a little confusing then, so its bet to be consistent :)
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info moose! Makes sense and sounds like a really awesome way to do stuff...can't wait to play with it someday!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Moose, it sounds like things like Substance Designer will make this workflow crazy fast. your input on that?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    no prob cman.

gir, I honestly haven't played with or used substance designer, so I wouldn't be able to say. only thing I'm familiar with using in the past few years was bitmap2material, and never on anything practical really, just experimenting. I've been meaning to try it out, need to! I missed it on sale on steam :( From watching the video on their site, its hard to tell without mucking around with it.

Jordan used Modo to paint textures frequently, some other people were trying Mari, I honestly stuck to Photoshop and projection painting in zbrush. With autoreimporting textures (available in UE3 too!), i never had to tab into the Editor, could paint, save, glance at 2nd monitor to see changes.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1925004&postcount=116

here's my bastardised version of the glorious work you guys are doing :D
  • velesius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    velesius polycounter lvl 11
    New video has come
    Inside Unreal - Visual Effects - Part 1
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VANuJCM29E"]Inside Unreal - Visual Effects - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Particle lights, wow! This will be so much fun to play with.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    glad cascade got a ui overhaul.. D:
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    depth buffer collisions....I like it.
  • RAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RAL
    There's a good article on fxguide to follow up with the visual effects video they just posted as well.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/unreal-engine-4-next-gen-gaming-effects/
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Has Unreal Engine 4 the same Grid like UDK3 with power of 2 or metric system/personal Grid setups?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I suspect it's user defined. Who uses metric grids? Doesn't that fuck with you when you're looking at texel distribution?
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Not really, but scaling is better.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I work in powers of two for world-scaling anyway, so it suits me fine :p
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    moose wrote: »
    Zac: We used xNormal to bake the normal maps on that character, I've noticed that artifact before when using xNormal. other programs would not do the same thing. I'm not sure why or how its caused during the bake, but creates a crazy pyramid gradient effect on surfaces.

Good eye!

X shaped errors from baking are almost always because your triangulation of your baked meshed changed from the triangulation of the in game mesh. I sometimes forget to triangulate my mesh before baking because I am rushing and get these errors in engine, so I can see that happening. Or maybe that edge was turned after a bake happened, which might cause that also.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Ah nice, thanks!
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    New video has come
    Inside Unreal - Visual Effects - Part 2

I have no idea how to embed this?

http://youtu.be/RURQSR788Dg

Capture.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    change your link from youtu.be to youtube.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Hourences show a bit Blueprint in this video :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZCp4xsPmo"]Unreal Engine 4 Blueprints in Solus - YouTube[/ame]
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah blueprints are awesome :)
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use them soooo much more than I used kismet (which was admittedly almost never). You really can make playable games without touching code in many cases :)
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah he did amazing job with blueprints. Though it still boggles my mind why offset entire work to blueprint, when some tasks are easier achieved in C++.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    Yeah he did amazing job with blueprints. Though it still boggles my mind why offset entire work to blueprint, when some tasks are easier achieved in C++.

Not everyone can code in C++ but a tech minded person might be easily able to understand blueprints and get the same or very similar results.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I'm wondering how the old Unrealscript stuff that has to do with networking and replication is handled now. Is that still Blueprints? Or did they move that to a lower-level?

Edit:
    Also wondering about UI stuff. Is that still mostly Scaleform? They used to have an Unreal UI system, is that gone?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I'm wondering how the old Unrealscript stuff that has to do with networking and replication is handled now. Is that still Blueprints? Or did they move that to a lower-level?

Edit:
    Also wondering about UI stuff. Is that still mostly Scaleform? They used to have an Unreal UI system, is that gone?

I will answer, that those are questions that can't be answered right now (;.

All I can say, you really should not worry. blueprint is more or less replacement for UnrealScript.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry if this was asked before, I wasn't following UDK until recently. Will new UE4 development kit be available to general public like the current version? Were there specific release date besides it will be in 2014?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    unit187 wrote: »
    Sorry if this was asked before, I wasn't following UDK until recently. Will new UE4 development kit be available to general public like the current version? Were there specific release date besides it will be in 2014?
    Yep, there will be an UE4 verison of the UDK. Not official date yet. I'm not even sure it was said it will be in 2014...
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    unit187 wrote: »

Yes there will be a free "UDK" version. Currently it is in closed beta testing, and no release date has been announced. I assume it is not that far off from what I have seen and heard about it.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks guys. Not sure where I've seen that it will be in 2014, but it was somewhere, hehe.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    So this just happened, can get UE4 today for $19 subscription plan

https://unrealengine.com/
  • Showster
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah this is really cool. You also get the full C++ source code with the subscription model! Which is huge!

So will there not be an Unreal Engine 4 UDK model? Any thoughts?
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    So no free version then?
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    You can keep it though even if you cancel the subscription, but without updates.

It's kinda strangely constructed.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    ...kinda lame that you can't try it out without paying for it.

C++ source code is pretty sick though especially and will definitely help indie developers out there. Royalties all the way down to 5% too (excluding the 20$ a month) is pretty insane too.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We tried to make it as simple as possible. It's $19 a month + 5% royalty. That's it. For that price, you get access to everything including the full engine source code. Cancel at any time, and continue using the version you have. Stay subscribed to get updates.
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar polycounter lvl 16
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Eh, the subscription is a turn off.

I would say it's worth it if it's bug free.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    No UDK equivalent then? Just wondering. This could turn a lot of artists off, when we can just use Cryengine SDK for free.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    PogoP wrote: »
    when we can just use Cryengine SDK for free.
    ;)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    "This also means that the free, binary-only UDK version of Unreal, popular with students in particular, is being discontinued for UE4."

Well I guess that answers my question.

Source:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/213517/Epic_radically_changes_licensing_model_for_Unreal_Engine.php
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh, this is kind of strange. I want to mess around with new UE for a couple of hours here and there, but subscription? Just to learn the engine?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Apparently though you can unsubscribe at any time and still use the current version you have. You just have to resubscribe again to get an updated version.