Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #13 - March

Replies

• cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldnt see any eye wrap for naix yet so I decided to make one so here is a very base model with base texture. I have like 400 tris remaining so I will make it better and add some other things as well. Dont forget to leave a comment or critism.
    XVbbY8P.jpg
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @ sapolini ,
    it's a cool idea, but maybe instead of going for an actual ram skull shape why not make it flat and planar rock like his original, so it would look sculpted from stone.
    I'd probably connect the tips of the horns back to the head and make the horns really thick and beefy all the way around.

Yes, That was my intention but I went very far from that. This is the new version of 3dsmax (pre-zbrush) doing. Now I think I am going to sculpt, bake normals and try to retopo.
    elder_segunda_version.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Getting pretty close to putting this head piece to bed. Still have to do the LOD work though. Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow if I'm not too busy.

ET_004.jpg
  • Nice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ozMfkUG.png
    Trying to come up with some concepts for a eldar titan wep, not sure how well symetry really works for him.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Praetus: the horns look great but I'm not so sure about the hair, truthfully I think the hood is the better choice of your 2 concepts.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    MdK wrote: »
    Praetus: the horns look great but I'm not so sure about the hair, truthfully I think the hood is the better choice of your 2 concepts.

/sign that
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made several changes to my "Ram head hammer" for Elder Titan.

What do you think?

cabeza_roja.png
    piedra_elder.png
    ojos_dentro_elder.png

This is the last version. I wanted a exagerated stone effect in Zbrush, because later with normal maps it will be softer (I guess) hehe.

*I edit and add the back zone:

elder_asa.png

atras_elder.png
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure if it's allowed to join the competition with objects that have been already completed, but in case so, i'll join with this. :)

ZhkUXj1.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    ^ I think the whole point is to show the workflow start to finish.

The rules state that you MUST show proress or entry doesn't count.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the last shape of my naix head. Pls feedback
    tKhNbO3.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    MdK wrote: »

Yeah, I've seen that said now by a few people. The reason i was hesitant on the hood was because I thought it may look out of place as a single item, but enough people seem to like it that it has made me think otherwise. For the monthly I think I am going to focus on the hood, but I may end up releasing both to the workshop when I'm done with them. If anything, I've been thinking of making a full set and I can make them variants with the same horns.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is the ingame pics, as always pls feedback!!!!
    Ub9t4ed.jpg
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a rough base for a elder titan weapon. I want to give it a more rough/rocky look than the default one has.
    U9t1coz.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's a pretty good head piece for him cagdasx44,

I'd work more on the actual fabric texture, put some wrinkles and whatnot. Probably remove the blood splatter all together. The added noise just makes it harder to read and lack of wrinkles, etc... make it hard to tell it's fabric (/leahter)
  • nsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my high poly. Now on to the Diffuse, really gonna make it shine there!
    Ragwip2.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    I think it's a pretty good head piece for him cagdasx44,

I'd work more on the actual fabric texture, put some wrinkles and whatnot. Probably remove the blood splatter all together. The added noise just makes it harder to read and lack of wrinkles, etc... make it hard to tell it's fabric (/leahter)

Firs,t thx for replying.
    Secondly, it wasnt the finished model actually I dind even made the uv map, I just randomly unwrapped it and if you look at the right fabric its UV is merging with the left fabrics.
    Anyways, I will make a high poly just for the fabric part then move on to the texture. And do you think I should remove all the blood or just decrease it?
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a personal thought, but I think it would be cooler to focus on heroes with less sets rather than trying to focus monthly comps on the newest heroes. Puck already has 4-5 sets and items, Naix and Venge already have a bunch too. I think that's why most people are doing Elder Titan stuff right now.

The new heroes never fail to get a ton of attention, why don't we focus on heroes with less sets or actual themes again? I think it resulted in a lot more variety when we did it like that. Just my 2 cents. Good work overall though, just was wondering what other people thought.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Oroboros wrote: »
    Just a personal thought, but I think it would be cooler to focus on heroes with less sets rather than trying to focus monthly comps on the newest heroes. Puck already has 4-5 sets and items, Naix and Venge already have a bunch too. I think that's why most people are doing Elder Titan stuff right now.

The new heroes never fail to get a ton of attention, why don't we focus on heroes with less sets or actual themes again? I think it resulted in a lot more variety when we did it like that. Just my 2 cents. Good work overall though, just was wondering what other people thought.

Agree! I think themes should be part of the competition for sure, and there are some heros that need some workshop love
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Did some sculpting work with the hood idea since people tend to be gravitating towards that one more. Please, let me know what you think.
    ET_005.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    praetus wrote: »
    Did some sculpting work with the hood idea since people tend to be gravitating towards that one more. Please, let me know what you think.

:thumbup: hood is so much cooler
  • nsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some much needed feedback and critiques, and have tweaked my high poly! Also, created my low poly mesh as well.

Wip3.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Been doing a Titan head slot with Fudgie. Here's the sculpt and polypaint.

fudgiehair_wip01.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cagdasx44 wrote: »
    Firs,t thx for replying.
    Secondly, it wasnt the finished model actually I dind even made the uv map, I just randomly unwrapped it and if you look at the right fabric its UV is merging with the left fabrics.
    Anyways, I will make a high poly just for the fabric part then move on to the texture. And do you think I should remove all the blood or just decrease it?

blood: I guess it could be a top layer in paint, so you could try without, then add as needed. His clothes do have some... I think less is more in this case. It's a small piece, not likely to be really blood splattered. And will probably read better with less.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added blood because his eye is gone ans the blood came from his eye.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    @sapolini I'm not entirely sure about that amount of noise you're putting in the sculpt just for the sake of the normal map. If you want to make your normal map to read better/be awesome in Dota 2 try and go for a handpainted look in the sculpt. Use exaggerated cracks, hard edges and small imprints of detail like a hand painted texture. Something like this:

mheyman38stone.jpg

Instead of having a ton of noise, have really large exaggerated imprinted forms of detail. Use the Dam_Standard brush to really pull out some of the edges.
  • reallymadmaveric
    sapolini wrote: »

I like it looking forward to see it finished
  • reallymadmaveric
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Been doing a Titan head slot with Fudgie. Here's the sculpt and polypaint.

I like the hair but not sure if he is the best character to wear it
  • reallymadmaveric
    Xajai wrote: »
    @tvidotto i think i know what you mean, hopefully the texture helps out a bit since im far too new to making hair (this is my first real attempt) heres a little update

That looks good
  • reallymadmaveric
    nsmith wrote: »
    Got some much needed feedback and critiques, and have tweaked my high poly! Also, created my low poly mesh as well

Looking true to you original concept looking forward to seeing it with ingame textures
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How come Treant Protector wasn't included in this competition? He was added to the workshop with the other 4 heroes.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    No he wasn't. He's still not in the workshop where you can download the files.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    roof and clock model were both split up and also assigned polylimits for the single slots already. BUT they are not added to the workshop so far. (may happen next week)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    sapolini wrote: »

What do you think?

atras_elder.png

You need to work on your volumes before working on details. Most of your major shapes feel "pillow-y." What is this made out of? Is it stone? Is it supposed to be rough? Where are the sharp edges and cracks? etc.

Also, some of the small noise details you're putting in will never show in the game. You're going to be baking down to a 256X256 texture. All of that will be lost.
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    I had several problems with the workflow. First time using some programs and I had to learn a lot.

This is what I did:

1) Solid polys with 3dsmax
    2) Rework and detail in Zbrush. And polypaint
    3) Retopo with topogun
    4) UVW in 3dsMax
    5) Bake with xnormal (fail)
    6) Bake the polypaint in xNormal (fail)
    7) Rig in 3dsMax

I started with this but I have some problems because I will never unterstood how Zbrush works. I don't se the pivot point, I am never sure about what I am really doing there. Is a crazy software.

Mudbox saved the proyect with the painting, but I am not very happy with the results.

I need to change my workflow, trying to use only 3dsMax, Mudbox and Topogun (and obiusly Photoshop and xNormal). I am very frustrated with Zbrush and his 2,5D stuff.

Anyone has a guide of workflow with these programs? I always take a little from each youtube video but I haven't all ordered in my mind.

Btw, this is the "final" result:

Textures
    Color
    subir_color.jpg
    Mask1
    subir_mask1.jpg
    Mask1 (with alpha visible)
    mask2_conalfa.jpg
    Mask2
    subir_mask2.jpg
    Normal
    subir_normal.jpg

And in-game images:

1.jpg
    2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it could stand quite a few tweaks. The bold details need to pop a lot more, and the minor details are too small imo.

On the large details like all the edges of the horns and head should be highlighted well. This is mainly in the contrast of the diffuse, bumping that will help define shapes better.

You've also got a pretty noticeable center seam.

It's carved stone so it would be better to have a chiselled look to the tex. Yours looks more like weathered rock.

The stripes on the horns could be twice as large and spaced apart, would read better. And should be more prominent on entire horn, the front seems lacking.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Seems like you are trying to "run before you can walk" in regards to the software you are using. You may have already seen it but if not try looking at the Tutorials thread here for some great learning resources.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800

Looking back at your sculpt on the previous page, you could definitely use some more time refining the shape and silhouette before jumping into the high detail surface sculpting. Keep in mind the texture size you are working with too. So much of the fine detail you put into the head is completely lost even at the zoomed in angle you have above, I imagine in the proper game angle it would be completely gone.

It was mentioned above here;
    You need to work on your volumes before working on details. Most of your major shapes feel "pillow-y." What is this made out of? Is it stone? Is it supposed to be rough? Where are the sharp edges and cracks? etc.

But I would reiterate what great advice this is. What is the material you are trying to create here? It comes across as stone but how is it sculpted? The edges are so smooth, wouldn't something sculpted from stone but used as a weapon have chipped and cracked edges? Some of them may have been flattened from years of use.

Focus on the larger picture, get the general shape and feel for the weapon first before you even think about using Alphas and such in Zbrush. You will normally find by that stage you don't even need them.
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood wrote: »
    Seems like you are trying to "run before you can walk" in regards to the software you are using. You may have already seen it but if not try looking at the Tutorials thread here for some great learning resources.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800

Looking back at your sculpt on the previous page, you could definitely use some more time refining the shape and silhouette before jumping into the high detail surface sculpting. Keep in mind the texture size you are working with too. So much of the fine detail you put into the head is completely lost even at the zoomed in angle you have above, I imagine in the proper game angle it would be completely gone.

It was mentioned above here;
    I think it could stand quite a few tweaks. The bold details need to pop a lot more, and the minor details are too small imo.

On the large details like all the edges of the horns and head should be highlighted well. This is mainly in the contrast of the diffuse, bumping that will help define shapes better.

You've also got a pretty noticeable center seam.

It's carved stone so it would be better to have a chiselled look to the tex. Yours looks more like weathered rock.

The stripes on the horns could be twice as large and spaced apart, would read better. And should be more prominent on entire horn, the front seems lacking.

But I would reiterate what great advice this is. What is the material you are trying to create here? It comes across as stone but how is it sculpted? The edges are so smooth, wouldn't something sculpted from stone but used as a weapon have chipped and cracked edges? Some of them may have been flattened from years of use.

Focus on the larger picture, get the general shape and feel for the weapon first before you even think about using Alphas and such in Zbrush. You will normally find by that stage you don't even need them.

Thanks for watching and feedback.
    I guess I tried to do a lot of stuff very quick and that is what happens when u do it. I did not have in mind the 256x256 size so ingame they look as they look, not pretty well.

Next week I will restart from 0, because i really like the idea but not the results of this workflow. Maybe I will keep part of the lowpoly but i need to change most of it.

*BTW: I do not know how to multiquote, that is why this looks like this up here, sorry about that!
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No he wasn't. He's still not in the workshop where you can download the files.

He's in the importer. Feel free to decompile the in-game files for him!
  • reallymadmaveric
    Looking for a juvinile dragon,baby claws and soft lines. this is my 400 low poly concept so far. Critic pls.

q0ddmq8.pngzzTqFQ2.pngzWSksFh.pngxxvs5X8.png
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Dustin, look at the Dota2 Workshop on Steam. Everything is there, you can see everything thats currently in the store and stuff that is still in the Workshop
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Dustin: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Brewmaster go here and scroll down the page to where it says "equipment" and click "show" next to it. This shows all cosmetics currently ingame for any hero.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Correct on all points. Although accepted items are also on the workshop, but they will be very obvious as they have a green border and a tick in the corner of their thumbnail.

About not being able to submit sets to this competition, I guess the idea is to get more people involved, not everyone has time to make a set in a single month.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @dustin
    a compilation of everything accepted in dota 2, categorized by hero.
    http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Equipment

Lifestealer High Polymodel. Weighted Chains
    Base model
    qemgZwg.png
    High Poly
    KJpf2WT.png

I made some major changes to the design just to make it look less boring.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Be careful with the size of those runes, they look way to small to show up in game
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @hop, Yea I realized that when I posted the WIP images. But the runes will probably won't be able to be seen ingame because the of the scale of the rectangular piece, so now I'll have to redo it.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    day3.jpg

This might not make sense for ET but its something I'm going to try and make work.

Everything on here is looking great. No negative crits to give out. I would even say with the new in game closeups that small details like GhostDetectors runes would be readable. The hard part would be getting it to look good on the postage stamp texture size.

sapolini - you should maybe work with free software. That way if you get work accepted you wont have to worry about any legal issues. Blender is pretty decent for creating low poly meshes. Sculptris only has a few brush types but you can still sculpt some interesting shapes. xNormal is free to use - so that is good. Handplane!!! now free to use. Gimp doesn't really compare to Photoshop - but you can still do all the basics. You can go from scratch to a decent model for free is what I'm trying to say.

360.gif?t=1394557593
  • [juliannnDTD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo wrote: »
    I didn't get to finish my entry for last month and I'm still busy with other projects but I figured I'd at least do a concept or two whether or not anyone wants to snag them.

I love Elder's "ancient technology" look so I hammered out a weapon concept in case anyone wants to model it:
    6tfKxUt.jpg

Hoping to maybe lend you a hand in helping you bring this to life in the 3D realm of things. Let me know if it's cool if I jump on board and model this guy for you :D
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    hp done!i think im gonna remove some of the feathers and make them larger

vs_head_hp_zpsc68fb288.jpg
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    We're working on a headpiece for Vengeful :3

sOJhkHu.jpg