Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first steps in game art

Hey out there,

I'm totally new to the subject and came into painting/concepting and texture art via the Dota 2 workshop. I'm currently making my first steps and wanted to share them with you in order to recieve honest and badass polycount feedback. I will be using this thread as a little overwatch of my progression (as far as there will be any :p).

So here we go, with my very first texture set ever made - for a dagger for Slark of Dota 2 (AO,Diffuse,3pointlight):

6QM2i

Outcome:

6QM23
And the obligatory barrel, everyone has to go through obviously as my 2nd piece ever made (Diffuse only):

6QMik

Outcome:

6QMlJ

Whanks for watching!

Replies

• Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Rock, i don't see any pictures at the moment.
  • rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh really? I can see them just fine hmm..

Edit: Should work now I guess.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hey looks great! esp if you havnt been doing this for a while.
    the handle of the blade looks great! the actual blade looks a bit weird, look at reference for metal next time, or 3D versions of it that you like, and try to mimic that.
    right now the handle looks kinda World of Warcraft and the blade looks kind of call of duty.

another thing, you have a very high contrast in your textures, it makes it look almost cartoony/borderlands. its almost like your AO is a black ink line. Dont go overboard with the shading in the diffuse, get some mid values in there :)

Good luck!
  • Arkana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkana polycounter lvl 8
    I really love the look of that barrel. The blade kind of looks like it's made of concrete though.
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    I agree with Arkana, if you are wanting to make your blade more metallic looking you need to create a bigger contrast between the darker base metal tones and the sharper edge highlights, don't spread out your painted specular to wide.

Also the other thing that will help sell it as metal is if you have a light direction established (usually top down). Currently the sharp blade part is evenly lit from all sides which makes it look a lot more diffuse than metal, which is why its coming off as stone/concrete.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    My advice for the Slark blade would be to take the asset into Dota 2 and use a little bit of the metalness mask to make it look more metallic. Don't go overboard with that mask--a pretty low value is usually good enough--but it should help the asset. You may also want to darken the diffuse texture on the blade as well. But if it's for Dota 2, make sure to get it in the engine at some point!
  • rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thank you very much for all your suggestions! I know it sounds like an excuse, but actually the blade wasnt intended to be metal but stone kinda (we thought it fits slark as in his overall colorsheme and the fact he comes from deep seas). But I guess now its neither one of it really. This guy is actually submitted already, so I can't really work an changes in, but I really appreciate all of your comments! I will try to update this thread regulary and am lokking forward to your thoughts!

Here is a ingame shot of it and the workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201062957

637x358.resizedimage

But then again, thanks for all the good advices, I really gonna try to make use of them in the next texture!

Cheers!
  • rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided it would be the best practice, if I'd create a little scene with a few different assets, so Im going for some barrels, vegetables, bottles,… you know, the typical fantasy whine cellar kind of stuff.

Good idea?

Also, Ive absolutly no clue about all this stuff. So what do you guys think would be the smartest texture size/polycount limits to set myself for this type of style? Right now the barrel is somewhere at 370 tris (probably way too high) and the pumpkin is 100.

6SlNf
    6SlNH
  • NeeeBs
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    You can definitely paint, for someone just starting in game art. How long have you been drawing or practicing other traditional medium? :)

The chunks/dents hint concrete in the blade to me.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    for a new comer it looks pretty nice, gj on your props, ect.
  • rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys!

@Snafubar7: I'm actually pretty new to painting in general. Of course I drew one or the other concept on paper, but I started to really think about the process, technical requirements and drawing techniques just as I began to draw concepts for Dota 2 assets back in November. So yeah, I really try to do read everything I can about this stuff and since I followed you fellow Polycount artists quite some time, it makes it somehow easier to find orientation.

Btw, I followed your threads before and I love your style, serves as inspiration already :)

So, just to give you an example, heres one of my first concepts..

d2095fc2da.png

Thanks for your kind words!
  • rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added 2 new assets: Kind of a middle age hay cart, and a pretty odd looking bottle. I really tried hard to make it look glassy but, well, see for yourself. Also I pretty much messed up the UVs and the overall textures of the hay cart pretty hard, I probably going to unwrap and redraw this again..

Any tips on how to optimize the bottle, and of course, this little cart thingy?

6UuXj
    Thanks guys!
  • rock