Home Technical Talk

TB2 beta thread

Replies

• Rikk The Gaijin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin polycounter lvl 6
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    The dithered order independent blending is probably not what you're looking for here. Its great for simple alpha blends like hair, but for more complex surfaces like glass etc you will probably want something different.
    But on your website you show off the feature on a small squared glass bottle... :(
    So, if it's not good for glass, what do you suggest?
    Here another example on a car model I found. As you can see the glass doesn't look right, it's still quite noisy and you don't get the reflections you would expect. Overall looks very good though, it would be cool to have a carpaint shader.

m2b_cobra_01.jpg
    m2b_cobra_02.jpg
    m2b_cobra_03.jpg
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Found this weird bug, the windows had a transparent shader with dithered on it. Wireframe mode just renders these strange subdivision looking things
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    looks like you have tesselation on radiancef0rge, that could be the reason for the wireframe crazyness

Rikk that cobra looks beautiful
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoops D:, still looks like a bug though as none of the rest of the meshes are displaying wireframe!
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Will this be a separate purchase from toolbag 1?
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    Will this be a separate purchase from toolbag 1?

yes. this has been addressed, even on this page.
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »
    Rikk that cobra looks beautiful
    Thanks! I have much more impressive stuff, but I cannot show them as they are under NDA... Ah, frustration...:(
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Was doing a quick test with displacement, first time testing so I could be wrong, but I have a feeling this isn't supposed to happen.
    The spec is just following the original mesh, and not the tesselated/displaced one.

Left is just spec/fresnel turned off with ao, right is with spec/fresnel turned up again.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img703/2645/sdu8.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm, the white paint is acceptable on that Cobra, but the blue isn't quite there yet. Reflections seem super-busy, you'd expect less noise from HDR reflections?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But on your website you show off the feature on a small squared glass bottle... :(
    So, if it's not good for glass, what do you suggest?
    Here another example on a car model I found. As you can see the glass doesn't look right, it's still quite noisy and you don't get the reflections you would expect. Overall looks very good though, it would be cool to have a carpaint shader.

The refraction shader is likely what you'll want to use for glass, only problem: it hasn't been written yet. :poly142: This is on our todo list, sorry you'll just have to bear with us for the time being.

There may be some improvements we can make to the dithered transparency as well. One thing you can do in the mean time is render out an extra large (like 2x) resolution screenshot and then size it down in photoshop, this will help reduce the noise a bit.

Unfortunately the secondary specular model functionality got broken with some of the re-organization that was done for build 2, generally I think that is what you would want to use for a car shader, though if you have any specific requests related to a car shader please let us know.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    Was doing a quick test with displacement, first time testing so I could be wrong, but I have a feeling this isn't supposed to happen.
    The spec is just following the original mesh, and not the tesselated/displaced one.

Left is just spec/fresnel turned off with ao, right is with spec/fresnel turned up again.

Hey, meshes are not re-normalized when displacement is used, so you'll still need to use a normal map to get correct lighting. Displacement/tessellation only affects the silhouette, not the normals/shading of the mesh.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17

do you have a normal map there, or only displacement map.

someone can correct me if i am wrong, but just like toolbag1, toolbag2 requires normal map in addition to displacement map to show proper shading.

*edit* posted too late :)
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Wasn't aware that in toolbag you still needed a normal map for the correct shading, thanks for the quick answer :)
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    aniso.gif

I herd u guys like hair shaders. Here's some anisotropic IBL progress.

The shader uses 32 cube samples (just like blinn-phong) and a custom aniso texture filtering gradient. Looks pretty good; even in this church which, with all its tiny bright lights, is the worst-case scenario.
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    for some reason that gif provoked a boner..... xD cant wait to actually play with it

edi: the pun was not intended lool
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Wasn't aware that in toolbag you still needed a normal map for the correct shading, thanks for the quick answer :)

Most engines from what I've seen do not have displacement maps affect lighting, it's not exclusive to the Marmoset.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    aniso.gif

I herd u guys like hair shaders. Here's some anisotropic IBL progress.

I almost fell from the chair because I thought that there will be motion blur in Toolbag 2.0.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    What bakers will TB2 be synced with? It would be great if it could be synced with Handplane and/or xNormal (as TB1 does not appear to be perfectly synced with Handplane at least). The optimal solution might be to make it possible to select from a few different tangent bases, so most people would find something to be happy with.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    ^ They've done just that, you can find the details in this thread. I believe currently the list includes Maya, MikkTspace, Max and toolbag default.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Oh, that sounds awesome. Thanks for the answer!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Would the ones that are part of the beta test, be able to use images from tb2 in our portfolio or would we need to wait for the full version?
    Cause I am wondering if I should make the textures for my current project to work with tb1 or tb2.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    OH GOD I BROKE IT!

Doing some test bakes and then this happens when I plug the normals into toolbag. Don't know why.
    TGA works fine so I'll stick with it for the time being.
    2k map

hraOaUN.jpg
    q2BlpZg.jpg

The maps look the same so I don't know whats up.
    ltETnK5.jpg
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Could it be a problem with the bit depth?
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    In case anyone is interested:
    Got asked to share it in case people want to play around with materials in tb2 a bit and don't have the time to make something from scratch.

Dropbox link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgvzmcibi7oo4xo/WeldingTorch.rar
  • GetAwesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GetAwesome polycounter lvl 14
    MrHobo wrote: »
    OH GOD I BROKE IT!

Now look what you gone n' dun!

We'll be happy to take a look. Would be please send us a copy of your TIFF so we can debug it on our end? Send to: support@marmoset.co

Thanks!
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Just fired off the email. Thanks.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would the ones that are part of the beta test, be able to use images from tb2 in our portfolio or would we need to wait for the full version?
    Cause I am wondering if I should make the textures for my current project to work with tb1 or tb2.

We don't have any restrictions on where or how you display images rendered in TB2.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ: That's great :)
    Any idea how long it will take before the refraction/glass shader is back in?
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I understand, it's not in their immediate plan to make it... I wouldn't hold my breath for it... :(
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin: Ah well, hope it wont take to long :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Sorry, I can't give any time estimates on features at this point. I can say it is on the official todo list, which means it is a higher priority feature and it will likely show up sooner rather than later.
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Man the work in this thread is amazing, but please stop with the teasing! Open Beta please! :D
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    maddam wrote: »
    yes i also agree with the fact that every object has fresnel, that why i think it should in some way modulate the specular in mamroset to get realistic looking material.
    here is the way it work in vray, the lower the ior the less reflective, the higher, the more reflective material.
    i don't say this is the best way to do or use fresnel but i find it simple to use :) (ok i like vray so what :D...)
    fresnel.jpg

I agree Maddam, I would love more control over fresnel. I'm finding it too hard to get that intense reflection that fades away to almost nothing depending on the viewing angle, (and it's really important on skin!)

For instance you can see a very strong reflection like this: (Shame on me for posting non TB2.0 skin shader pics)14fig29.jpg

Then take two steps to the left and 1 step forward and it will practically disappear.

Right now in TB2 I have to fake the effect with a super strong point light that when you rotate around the character completely blows out the side of the face when looking head on.

...Wow That anisotropic shader looks EPIC!

Oh yeah, I also found some examples of light leakage from the IBL but since I can't post the art content I was testing TB2.0 with I'll have to get some screenshots of this later. (Local reflections only covers about half of the illuminated area. I see this happen pretty often in the nostrils of characters in TB2.0 where it will look illuminated up inside the nose on certain skyboxes.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Dont think I've seen any mention of it in the thread but any chance for area lights?
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Dont think I've seen any mention of it in the thread but any chance for area lights?

I've really been hoping for this! Area lights with no radius or attenuation Sliders. But rather all of that purely dictated by a physically based light falloff based on your selected intensity of the light.

Any word on area lights EQ?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second the area light's that would be great!
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    hey, possible to load background image? i can find it :O
  • ChrisCross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

Great additions to TB2. Its coming along very nicely!
    Sorry if this have already been mentioned, I guess it might have. But I noticed that when creating a custom Sky Light it doesn't save the lights added in the light editor when saving a .tbsky-file.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So found a bug today: toggling the visibility of the sky causes a windows crash.

@Lonewolf: Its under the render tab there is a checkbox :)
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    RadianceF0rge: doesnt do that for me, weird.... maybe hardware or driver related?

would it be possible to get more controls for the camera for more precise shots? i find it sort of hard to achieve certain effects like wide shots and stuff like that but then again it might be me being a noob xD
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    So found a bug today: toggling the visibility of the sky causes a windows crash.

checked and getting the same result, also toggling scene visibility will crash TB2 for me.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Same happens here.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there Marmoset people :D

I have a few pages (!) of notes, feedback and bug reports to cleanup and post but before that I thought I'd share some tests from today. Needless to say that even tho there are some usability bugs to iron out, the core image quality itself is quite incredible ! Loving it ...

pior_sniper_wolf_wip_016_zps695c7935.jpg~original

pior_sniper_wolf_wip_017_zpsa394b38d.jpg~original

Keep up the great work guys !
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    What does a guy have to do to get an invite to this thing? Joooooeeeeee!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Been plugging away with this for the past week or so - such an awesome tool.

sofa_05.jpg
    sofa_04.jpg
    sofa_03.jpg

The main problems I have so far, once you get past a few user error type things (like, realizing you can delete things, managing groups, etc.) Don't seem to be "that" huge of a deal...Like i haven't seen a crash yet, or any show stopping bugs.

- Need double sided materials / Hair shader will be awesome

- Exporting with transparency, I had the same issues as Tits.

- I wish there was a way to just refresh my model (maybe I'm missing it?) Like in TB1, I found myself deleting my model, reimporting, then reapplying the material. not a huge deal - It's just a feature I wish stuck around

- Would it be possible to save directional lights per sky? I like to switch between a few settings to see what looks best / how the model behaves under different lighting scenarios...and just found myself recreating directional lights

Gav
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    some skin tests and some general wish list items:

1. per-mesh setting to disable self shadowing
    2. per-mesh setting to disable SSR
    3. detail normal map rotation
    4. second detail normal map (i know its getting too greedy but could be useful for lot of things specially to maintain symmetry)

also +1 to what artquest mentions about fresnel and skin. that strong specularity on sharp angles could actually be useful in lot of things.

also, looking forward to that hair shader!

skin_gif.gif

skin_mat.jpg

skin_shotsA.jpg

skin_shotsB.jpg
  • GetAwesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »
    checked and getting the same result, also toggling scene visibility will crash TB2 for me.

We can't seem to reproduce this on our end. Could you email us your hardware specs, OS version, and maybe a simple .tbscene file that reliably crashes? Thanks!
    ChrisCross wrote: »
    But I noticed that when creating a custom Sky Light it doesn't save the lights added in the light editor when saving a .tbsky-file.

Thanks for the feedback. This light support is definitely needed. It may not make it in for the day 1 release, but we will certainly have it within one of the first patches.
  • GetAwesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest wrote: »
    I've really been hoping for this! Area lights with no radius or attenuation Sliders. But rather all of that purely dictated by a physically based light falloff based on your selected intensity of the light.

In regards to light types, area lights & IES lights are officially on our to-do list, but they won't be a day 1 feature. They'll be arriving with a point release down the road.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    What about derivative normal maps? They seem quite interesting; is that something tb2 might support at some point (if there's enough interest)?
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Ah jeez so much goodness...let us buy into the beta, plzkthx!
This discussion has been closed.