Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Metal Gears Solid - Olga Gurlukovich redesign

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seth. polycounter lvl 14
logo.jpg

Hey all, new personal piece time.

I have decided to remake Olga Gurlukovich from MGS2 in the art style of epic games. I am thinking of using this as a chance to experiment with marvellous designer in my workflow, maybe substance designer or Ddo also, as I want to get a feel for what might be around the corner and to generally improve my female character modelling skills, especially in skin texturing and hair alpha creation.

I want to keep the character pretty clean and simple, I have become too bogged down in over complicating stuff recently.

Body wise I want to go for a very athletic, muscular yet slender frame, a little less stacked than I'm showing in the mood board at the moment, but I am still ref hunting for the perfect bodytype to emulate. Olga has been training as a soldier since she could walk, and I think that needs to come across in the character.

Budget wise I want something ps4, X-bone worthy, so I am looking towards giving it as many tri's as it needs, without being too stupid...30-50k I guess, with a complete texture res of 2x4k split as needed...If anyone has any better suggestions on this it would be much appreciated.

Overall I hope to convey something similar to the attitude Hawkprey managed to achieve with his Anya concept, I bloody love the expression in that piece.

Nothing more than a mood-board, a head full of idea's, and good intentions at the moment so I may have started this prematurely...but I couldn't resist...sorry :)

mood.jpg

thanks for reading :)

Replies

• Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Hahaha awesome idea! Can't wait to see how this progresses!
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    :D I want to see this!
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a big fan of your work, and I'm an enormous fan of Hideo Kojima's games, and I do believe, the body builder in the center of your moodboard is a very good physique for Olgas character.

Sub'd!
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    Keeewl..can't wait to see how this turns out. Excite!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    JoltZero - Thanks very much for the vote of confidence, I just hope I do the idea justice :D

Supposable Lion - thanks very much :D

ILLMATICC - thanks very much also...which bit of Auckland are you from? I lived in Henderson and Sunnynook on the north shore, and I worked in the viaduct, still probably my favourite city on the planet.

TheWildHunt - yeah I am leaning towards her...maybe just a little less "built" I dont know if I have the skills to pull off that level of musculature and yet keep the femininity, the model I found out is Jessie Hilgenberg incase you were wondering

....I feel like I jumped the gun starting the thread so I had better post something. I forgot how much I don't like posting stuff up when its in the early squishy stage, before I have really nailed anything down, but heres the first wip:

olga%20wip%20001.jpg

I blocked out some proportions extracted some clothing and started on a base for the harness and braces( just not finished them at the back, cos I'm a slack bastard)

Main point to address looking at this now is that the torso feels very boxy....I had better get that sorted...womens is tricky, especially muscular ones I am finding

I will be leaving marvellous designer out of this piece now that I have had a chance to think about it. I wont get anything that will fit with the style of the piece that I want. Maybe next time.

thanks for looking
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey DKK thanks man :)

I worked mostly on the head today, that and bashing about the proportions a bit more, fixing the torso, killing the rigidity of the torso and shoulders etc....might even be confidant enough to post up the full body nude for crits tomorrow....we shall see

Anyway headshot....not sure I have the attitude down yet,or if she looks lean/hard enough, but I think that I have the age about where I want it:

olga%20wip%20002.jpg

thanks for looking
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow! that's awesome man :) i'm glad you enjoyed it here. I'm a born and raised east aucklander :D I'm living around the Botany Downs area atm.

Nice start on the head, i can def see a bit of that attitude coming through
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey ILLMATIC think I ventured as far east as that once Panmure was about as far as I made it with any regularity :)

body shots tonight while I work on the boots. the final trousers will be in the heavy male cog style, just not as elaborate. I think I have the proportions pretty much finalised, still got to work on those arms though

olga%20wip%20003.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    O.k. then, hard surface done for the boots, needing a zbrush pass but that can wait till tomorrow....blocked in the troiusers a little...I will sit and think on this design for a bit, the nipped in area above the knee is for a strap and pouch combo thing ( Baird has one in GOW Judgement) still ignoring the arms and the rest of the braces...I shall make those a priority for tomorrows session.

olga%20wip%20004.jpg

as always thanks for looking
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Oh ma daaayz :O Naaace sculpt so far!
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha awesome man, that was my old stomping ground growing up! :D I live about 10 mins from Panmure these days :)

Boots are looking sick! Can't wait to see what you do with those arms
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good seth!
  • PatTl92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatTl92 polycounter lvl 6
    Really cool seth. Like the style.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    break up the symmetry man, pouch on one leg, unique folds on the other. also, the straps on her thighs shouldn't go so high on the outside.
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey great stuff here!!! I like your references! Face is pretty good too. I can't wait to see it finished.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Torch: Thanks Phil :)

ILLMATICC: hehehe small world man, if you know the sinister black building on the visduct near the america's cup yaughts, thats where i used to work...nice views!

HomeGrownHeroz : thanks Sam :D

PatTl92 : thanks....its mostly stolen from epic games :)

almighty_gir: hey lee, breaking up the symetry is on the list for sure, mostly from the packs knife and holster around her waist, but I will be shuffling about the creases on one side too...tbh I put the straps that high on the outside on purpose cos I likes the line that they made, but I will shuffle them down with a quick transpose and see what they look like

karytsukino: thank you very much :)

mostly just been refining the trousers and working on the arms a little...the lower leg pouches really didnt work so I am toying with the idea of bringing the outer trousers down further and adding built in knee pads like the newer army fatigues that are on the market now....we shall see.

olga%20wip%20005.jpg

thanks for looking
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Really diggin this so far man, cool design. A couple of minor things that caught my eye: the bicep looks a bit too tensed and looking at the silhouette in the front view, the shape of the waist to hip area is looking a little "boxy", maybe try tapering the transition from the belt to the outer point of the hip joint/upper strap. Let me know if my ramblings don't make sense :)
  • Obizwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great! The trousers is awesome :)
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    this is goign to be nuts! huge mgs fan. going to be following this
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Adam, thanks for that mister, I think that it made sense :)

I have made changes the arm a lot again after I saw what you meant about the biceps, and hopefully the waist hip area between the two belt strap things looks a bit more feminine now heavy material and feminine curves are bloody tricky:)

I'm also kind of trying to keep to the male gears aesthetic cos olga wore boy trousers in the game, so I'm drawing a fine line between curved and tubular

Thanks very much Obizwan and Iciban :D

A couple more sessions and I think I can get onto the retopology, I'm really looking forwatd to the texturing at the moment, which is a pretty odd thing for me to say :)

olga%20wip%20007.jpg

thanks for looking
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Seth.

You could possibly keep the female aesthetic and shape concentrated in the upper half of the body. Then have the lower half more baggy and less defined as a call back to her original appearance in MGS. But I feel you have struck a nice balance so far. Maybe you add a bit more of a baggy overhang around strap areas of the legs.

Also look at the layers and straps of the pants I would expect to see more creases and folds around the groin since the straps near that area are held up by suspenders.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Di$array, Thanks man...I agree on the extra creases needed around the groin and straps, I just have to get some pouches and stuff in there first that might affect them and I shall be creasing that area up :)

not had much time this week, got an ace paintover from crazyfool though so had a play with some bigger trousers....I failed at them, they were obliterating any sense of femininity in the lower half, and the extra creases were very un-gears if that makes sense....totally stole the ideas for arm grieves and the backpack type thing, which I have worked up to include a padded collar, bit its still very unfinished.

So thanks very much Tom :D

Anyway (hardly any) progress shots for what its worth

olga%20wip%20008.jpg

cheers
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    MetalGears solid , duhhh! I just got it. Geez, talk about skimming the thread quickly for the art.

Looking good man :) The only thing I feel is an issue now is the symmetry of her silhouette. Not sure if you'd agree with me but I feel like some more asymmetry could add a bit more personality to her.

Either way, really loving the sculpting. Very nice work Seth :)
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Looking sharp. Really love the concept.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey chris. Thanks man.

You aren't alone on thinking there is too much symmetry in the character it's something that I intend to break up with pouches, some changes to the creases on one leg etc. I also want to break the symmetry in the head too.

Suba, thanks very much
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    so, long time no see....

been working on Olga here and there, here's some ridiculously sized torso shots including the cap that might not be in the final version :D

Next port of call is the face, I will get on with that tomorrow cos in this shot her head looks wrong

olga%20wip%20010.jpg

here's a shot of the final boot too... ok its footwear, I dont expect people to get too excited, but I spent a while on it so I want to show it off :D

olga%20wip%20011.jpg

thanks for looking
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    She looks awesome Seth, I love the cloth work. I think you could give a bit more volume to the eyelids- looks like they are very thin. Lots of character in her face man :)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    *drool*
    amazing work, love those boots, I really like the face and everything is so cleam.
    Looking forward to see more :)
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Badass dude!! I love the back armor piece.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Looks sick man! The boots are too good!
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow dude this is looking sick!! Coming together nicely. All the material and hard surface work is awesome.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Nice update Seth, looking great!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Really loving the anatomy... muscular yet still feminine. Not easy to do
    Just mind the arms... look too short to me
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    disanski: thanks man, yeah I still have some work to do on the face, I see what you are saying and will give the eyelids a going over

Tits:Thanks very much. loving the texture work on your Ellie btw, top stuff ( I probably should say that in your thread not mine right? :D )

kernersvillan : Thanks very much, I'm still a newb at hard surface really, so I'm just copying the shapes that I see you guys making in gears :)

Luke_Starkie: cheers mister, I dont know why I spend time on footwear, but I do it a lot.

ILLMATICC: thanks, she's getting there slowly I think

PaulP : thanks very much

shotgun : thanks The anatomy was tricky, I';m glad that it reads the way that I wanted it to considering I was pushing up against the edge of my limited skills in that department :D
    I went over the arms a few times which might explain why they look a bit short...too much time concentrating
    on the forms rather than the overall shape perhaps....I will get her into photoshp and take a look at her proportions...thanks again.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 6
    Really like the boots seth. For the cracks/chips in the boots did you use custom brushes or hand sculpt those details in?
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Sam, they were sculpted in using just the clay tubes and a modified damn standard brush. Details on the technique are available here cos I lifted the info off bobo :D : bobo weapon demo

worked on her face this morning, and detailed the backpack, detail pass on the skin might occur tonight... going to try the heavy pore style from the last of us sculpts, cos its working bloody well for everyone else :D

olga%20wip%20012.jpg

thanks for looking :D
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Love it Seth ! Clean sculpt

I maybe just feel that the eyes are too far apart. But everything else is really cool
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    wow, this looks amazing :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Guedin: Thanks very much, I agree on the eyes, I have shifted the face about and hopefully rectified the situation.

ae.: Thanks man :)

O.K. all I have left to do now is her hair,pouch detail and side arm/holster...I hope to have those done tomorrow so that I can get the low poly out of the way and try texturing her up. I'm going to use both Girs UDK PBR shader and marmoset 2 also so if anyone has any reccomendations for a good skin shader in UDK that an idiot like me could operate it would be much appriciated.

silly sized full body shot:
    olga%20wip%20013.jpg

thanks for looking
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ok so I woke up this morning and the face wasn't right...more tweaking and a polypaint later and I think that her skin is in a state where I can leave it till texturing begins.

olga%20wip%20014.jpg
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    Seth, this is coming on really nicely, love the forms and details. I do feel that the proportions could use a little more work though. Her arms look really short compared to where the belly button is, the forms on the pants could be pushed more where the belts are cutting in. did a quick paintover to show you what i mean, hope it helps. Its not perfect by any means though :) keep rocking it.
    http://makeagif.com/i/XxhsbO
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    this is coming along great, i really like your characters
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome work! I can't wait to see how this progresses.
  • axl99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    axl99 polycounter lvl 8
    I can't wait to see some more progress shots, this is looking so sweet :D!!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Her belly button is set a bit low, isn't it?
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    The hair passing in front of the eye really feminized the character. I love it. I'm subbing to this thread, I want to see where this is going.
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Her belly button is set a bit low, isn't it?

true, Now I can not not see it everytime I look at the pictures :P
  • BhushanArekar
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    BhushanArekar polycounter lvl 11
    Nice progress,waiting for next update.:poly142:
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    This is turning out really freaking good, man. Awesome.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Just throwing it out there, is arm-length okay? I guess they would look longer if they were fully extended. My eyes just keep looking at it though :)

Either way, good work man! Really looking forward to more updates !
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great. Can't wait to see the final product!