Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Engine 4

Replies

• JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Instead of tweaking it for that lighting condition its more like, I have this gold, and I want it to be slightly more yellow in this instance, or I want to use a map to change the tint slightly over the surface. Also imagine a layer is paint, you could have a map drive the color of that paint.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    What would you say are the advantages/disadvantages of that, versus creating a new "core material" which was, eg, a slightly more yellow gold? That way wherever that 'slightly more yellow gold' was used, it could always be updated from a centralised location, which would then propagate through every instance of it being used - rather than having many instances of a single 'core material' being per-instance-edited in various different ways?

I think this is more of a workflow question than a tech question in retrospect :)
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's really a balance and probably a decision made per-team. On one hand you make a simple tweak when you use it but you're overriding some base value, or you have a huge library that is too specific. I imagine the ideal is somewhere in the middle.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Someone could spill the beans regarding the new terrain implementation :P
    Is it just a refined landscape system?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    /anty/ wrote: »
    ... it more in changing approach from current crafting method to wise way of production, with higher quantity and quality content with smaller dev teams, in more predictable time, with simpler iterating of content and ability modify lots of things fast and simple

to spend more time on gameplay, ai, animation, physics, storry, awsomeness...
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I'm wondering what does this mean for portraying more exotic surfaces? Something like a planet shader, or what have you.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Not much I dare to say. You will just need to create separate material for each layer (water, land, clouds) and blend them togather. In all setup should be easier, at least if want more realistic results.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Downloading that now to check it out.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    They're using Strauss most likely, it's the only paper in the public domain that even takes that into consideration, outside of artist not putting anything into the Diffuse slot.

http://content.gpwiki.org/index.php/D3DBook:%28Lighting%29_Strauss
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think its time we make a new thread on PBR and use a lot of the information & links found in this thread to start it off. This is a topic we'll want to apply to our jobs as a whole, and not just how it applies to Unreal Engine.

If someone wants to start that, I can make sure the community knows it exists. It's an important topic we'll all want to be versed in.
  • moose
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    adam wrote: »
    I think its time we make a new thread on PBR and use a lot of the information & links found in this thread to start it off. This is a topic we'll want to apply to our jobs as a whole, and not just how it applies to Unreal Engine.

If someone wants to start that, I can make sure the community knows it exists. It's an important topic we'll all want to be versed in.

Quoted for muthafuckin troof! I would love that as PBR seems to be the next big thing for us.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Quack! wrote: »
    Quoted for muthafuckin troof! I would love that as PBR seems to be the next big thing for us.

Agreed
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    adam wrote: »

I believe in the technical talk forums there was a thread started about PBR in general. Lots of good info in there to migrate over to the official PBR thread we start. Here's the link
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pulled a bunch of the posts here into a PBR thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124683&page=2

edit: also I've merged in that PBR thread from tech talk as well, thanks artquest.
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys! I've been searching the internet for more UE4 info recently and found this two very interesting videos. Unfortunately there's no any subtitles for both videos (one is in Japanese and the other one in Korean), but still I think it's very interesting as they show a lot of in-engine demos. Enjoy :)

Epic Games Japan presentation:
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gtmf-session4/theater

Korean presentation:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6DC85HO_Xw"]Making MMORPG with Unreal 4 Engine?[/ame]
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Looks great, what game is it?

The functionality of the buttons and menus look very slick as does the foliage. God I hope to get my hands on this before Christmas!:thumbup:
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's not a game - it's a landscape (exported from World Machine) demo map.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Say hello to Jordan ! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7WNcUotwSQ"]Inside Unreal - Character Aesthetics - YouTube[/ame]
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Feels like watching myself doing a substance presentation 2 years ago. Glad people are finally embracing the concept of shared materials and assets through an entire project and material compositing.

I don't see the layered shader thing being used on a lot of objects though, imagine you have very complex shaders with detail maps and everything for each material, and you have 6 different materials on a character, the resulting shader is either extremely complex and heavy, or you bake down everything in the end to a single composited texture set at a given resolution, on which you will lose the very small details and runtime controls over the different parts.
    Every other studio I'm aware of using that kind of technique ultimately bake down the result of the material blend.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wonder why they didn't push the material definition a bit more in this demo, the environment reads well, but the characters mostly read as dusty plastic with bits of metal. Also there's a normal map artifact at 5:00 that makes me worried that they still aren't using a synced normal map tangent workflow.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    the normal artifacts looked more like what happens with a graidnet in your normalmap when you got dxt compression on it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    This?

qa8zJG7.png

nope i was talking about the artifacts on the chestplate, that there is defiantly un synced tangents
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ugh, this new workflow, not for me. I gotta beef up my conceptual skills.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    I don't see the layered shader thing being used on a lot of objects though, imagine you have very complex shaders with detail maps and everything for each material, and you have 6 different materials on a character, the resulting shader is either extremely complex and heavy, or you bake down everything in the end to a single composited texture set at a given resolution, on which you will lose the very small details and runtime controls over the different parts.
    Every other studio I'm aware of using that kind of technique ultimately bake down the result of the material blend.

Jerc, we used material layers on every asset in the Infiltrator demo, most environmental assets only had a couple layers and it still proved useful for them to have them. Also each layer itself is not complex, Most of them are a few tiling textures and some values, some are even solid colors for the base color.

One huge benefit of NOT baking these layers is you get really high resolution. Each layer has tiling textures so you're not limited to a baked resolution.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not mandatory, it's just what we did for the demo. The material system is still the material system.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    we use a hybrid system, we can have many layers of shaders, some with tiling some without. the layers that are not flagged as tiled get baked down to one layer, the ones that tile do not.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sigh, fix your tangents!

So layered shaders are basically being used as expanded detail normal maps with some material definition, nice.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigh, fix your tangents!

So layered shaders are basically being used as expanded detail normal maps with some material definition, nice.

will that and a massive workflow improvement, that lets people work in a less linear fashion as well.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's more than that, a layer uses the same material editor you use to make any other materials, so it's not just detail maps it's a whole texture set of like cloth or metal, for an environment asset you could have tiling concrete wall texture with normal, etc, then a layer on top of that of some metal details.

To be clear the reason it's more than detail maps(as game artists would describe them in the past) is all of the color, roughness, normal and everything comes from the layers.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon wrote: »
    we use a hybrid system, we can have many layers of shaders, some with tiling some without. the layers that are not flagged as tiled get baked down to one layer, the ones that tile do not.

Sounds cool, it's definitely useful to have non-tiling information for some surfaces, like a persons face.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing.

So can Unreal or any of these engines also generates some of the masks at runtime? Like a dynamic ambient occlusion or grime mask? I am imagining passing the lightmap into your material so that when you place your assets in your level, moss and grime will automatically collect in the dark recesses. Or maybe even a 3d noise function intersecting the mesh so that you can make, for example, a dynamic camouflage pattern on a gun? Would that be practical or too demanding for a realtime layer/shader?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since it's using a color mask texture for the different layers, are you limited to just 4 layers per object? (RGBA channels)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Since it's using a color mask texture for the different layers, are you limited to just 4 layers per object? (RGBA channels)

But you would still have 256 different values per channel, unless your using <8 bit channels.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

im sure it is using the colour and not just the channel, this is even pretty simple to do in udk also, just use a if node.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see. Yeah that makes sense. So you could have 256 layers in just 1 channel really.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    That would be impossible to blend between though
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    JordanW wrote: »
    Jerc, we used material layers on every asset in the Infiltrator demo, most environmental assets only had a couple layers and it still proved useful for them to have them. Also each layer itself is not complex, Most of them are a few tiling textures and some values, some are even solid colors for the base color.

One huge benefit of NOT baking these layers is you get really high resolution. Each layer has tiling textures so you're not limited to a baked resolution.
    Interesting, does it decrease the performances at all? I would imagine you would have one draw call per material on the object instead of only one for the whole thing with a baked material or does it work in the end as one single material ?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, does it decrease the performances at all? I would imagine you would have one draw call per material on the object instead of only one for the whole thing with a baked material?

maybe but remember this has nothing to do with material id's, since it is a mask doing the work.

it would increase the instruction count a lot, with all the lerping between each set of textures for each material.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    passerby wrote: »
    maybe but remember this has nothing to do with material id's, since it is a mask doing the work.
    it would increase the instruction count a lot, with all the lerping between each set of textures for each material.
    Indeed, my bad :)
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see. Yeah that makes sense. So you could have 256 layers in just 1 channel really.

this doesnt usually work that well because of mipmapping and interpolating values. if you have something that blends in at say 127, well it'll have a soft transition on the edge whiich starts blending in other values.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this doesnt usually work that well because of mipmapping and interpolating values. if you have something that blends in at say 127, well it'll have a soft transition on the edge which starts blending in other values.

im sure he meant that just as a example, was just trying to state it's not limited to 4 materials, but can use colour values. To get around the problem of mipmapping could possible use ranges of colour which limites you to maybe only a few masks out of one channel but is better than just one.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Zac: We used xNormal to bake the normal maps on that character, I've noticed that artifact before when using xNormal. other programs would not do the same thing. I'm not sure why or how its caused during the bake, but creates a crazy pyramid gradient effect on surfaces.

Good eye!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Can something like this be done in UE3 now or is this limited to UE4?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It could probably be done but you will have to blend all your channels one by one and end up with quite a big shader graph, while in UE4 you can blend the full materials at once.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could probably be done but you will have to blend all your channels one by one and end up with quite a big shader graph, while in UE4 you can blend the full materials at once.

maybe implement all the sub materials as material functions, it could do the job in a some what neat matter.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Very cool! Thanks for the video :D
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6

Well, but Mask resolution is still limiting factor.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Can something like this be done in UE3 now or is this limited to UE4?

it can, but it's expensive as fuck. i've got a prototype of it working now, but i have no idea how to optimise it further.