Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Tevinter Grimoire - Dragon Age

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
Going for a project based approach here to advance what I know and what I am re-learning.
The intended goal of this project wasn’t just to practice but to advance the skills that I possess(writing, some drawing skills, etc.) and to acquire the ones that I don’t(Lighting, texturing, rendering, sculpting, etc.). I would be getting started with Zbrush (after running away from it for quite some time) as well as texturing(my nemesis).

My approach to this has been somewhat methodical so far, starting with penning down my idea (lore, physical description, codex entries, possible quests, etc.) to drawing rough sketches on paper before waltzing in3D.

This here is a cross between a WIP low poly model and a blockout(with some parts barely more than mere blocks, though that might as well be what they are going to look in the end).

Cut scene narration (Imagine a rather old woman narrating this)

“Ages ago, the Tevinter magisters tore the veil and entered the Maker’s golden city and in doing so they doomed us all. They corrupted it, turned the Maker’s blessing into a curse and came back, tainted, plague bearers. They spread, destroyed everything in sight and butchered without mercy.
They tainted an Old God, destroyed an empire and began the first blight. But such was fate that, from the very taint that was bent on destroying everything in creation, came its bane. The Grey Wardens.
The story of that followed is known to all. The Wardens killed the Archdemon, ended the first blight and became heroes of legends. Such was the story told over and over again by bards, peasants, kings alike, but what of the story that was forgotten?
Immediately following Dumat’s fall, a group of Warden’s travelled to Minrathous under the cover of night. There, deep in the heart of Dumat’s temple, they learnt a secret so terrible that they dare not confide it in anyone else, not even those of their own order.
The grimoire of the Tevinter magisters.
A secret keeper of spells performed, conceived and forgotten. A key to the prison of the old gods. A path paved in blood to the black city.
The wardens took possession of it and with it they travelled to the remotest place in Thedas. They hid it beneath trees, rocks, locks and enchantments. Bound it with chains and magic that would only strengthen with time and in doing so, hoped that it would forever remain hidden.”

Fcdvftf.jpg

pXThIWD.jpg

All comments and critiques are appreciated. Also, please let me know if what I wrote of came up with conflicts with the lore from the game(can't have that).

Replies

• silkroadgame
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clean model!

Thank you.

:P
    Tried to at least.
    You should've seen it when I was halfway, the whole scene was littered with parts. I was one Z press away from a long walk back to the one I was working on.
    xD
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The spine shouldn't be a smooth cylinder, but rather a rectangle with rounded edges; also note the wear along the ridge between the cover and the spine.
    antique-vintage-leather-book-cover-17194622.jpg

Also, keep in mind that ancient vellum was quite thick and individual sheets weren't exactly the same size, nor were they perfectly aligned. You might want to model one or two sheets and let the normal map handle the rest of the irregularities.
    0_8f1b5_3b229a95_XL.jpg

Fun, if creepy, fact: the court records for executed British criminals were often bound with leather made from the skin of the criminal.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    The spine shouldn't be a smooth cylinder, but rather a rectangle with rounded edges; also note the wear along the ridge between the cover and the spine.

Also, keep in mind that ancient vellum was quite thick and individual sheets weren't exactly the same size, nor were they perfectly aligned. You might want to model one or two sheets and let the normal map handle the rest of the irregularities.
    I was thinking of taking it into Zbrush to deal with all the damage to the binding more or less like this instead of chamfering in Max itself.

7IsGmA6.jpg

Also I was going to use a normal map for the sheets but hadn't thought about the extra few sheets coming out here and there.
    Thanks!! :)
    Fun, if creepy, fact: the court records for executed British criminals were often bound with leather made from the skin of the criminal.

I know and it's bloody cool. It even fits the asset at hand. The book reeks of evil, well so far only in cooncept, it fits in right with the lore, they sacrificed hundreds of slaves to rip apart the veil, so should kinda make sense. xD