Home General Discussion

Pacific Rim

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    ysalex wrote: »
    I'm not going to go see this because by all reports, it's a good time but a bit brain-dead.

Don't mistake simple for "brain-dead." A lot of modern blockbusters attempt to weave together complex plots, but never actually deliver on the potential. They compromise their own narratives in order to setup improbable set-piece moments. In overly complex scripts like these, character motivations often end up getting muddled, and numerous plot holes are introduced. Recent examples would include both the Star Trek reboot movies, Prometheus, and anything Michael Bay has ever produced.

In terms of the storytelling, Pacific Rim is actually better than all of those efforts. By keeping the story simple, Del Toro manages to avoid all of the pitfalls that those other films stumble into. The simplicity of the story keeps everything humming along without introducing narrative conflicts.

The only real downside is that there is less room for character growth and exploration. But this movie is less about the characters themselves, and more about the catastrophic conflict they are engaged in. It's not brain-dead, it's simply a less intimate story.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10

The only real downside is that there is less room for character growth and exploration. But this movie is less about the characters themselves, and more about the catastrophic conflict they are engaged in. It's not brain-dead, it's simply a less intimate story.

As it is, I wish the movie completely threw character development out the window and focused on more over the top character moments like
    FOR MY FAMILY
    because whenever there isnt a robot or monster on screen, the movie is pretty awful.

That said, wow the lighting was crazy good. And my eyes still hurt from all the colors!
  • xalener
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener polycounter lvl 5
    Just got back from the theater. You jerks, I expected there to be NO character development and HORRIBLE acting. What I got was intentionally hammy acting done really fucking well, and just enough character development to make the payoff payoff. Watching the scientists bicker at each other was just as fun as the giant robots.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    xalener wrote: »
    Just got back from the theater. You jerks, I expected there to be NO character development and HORRIBLE acting. What I got was intentionally hammy acting done really fucking well, and just enough character development to make the payoff payoff. Watching the scientists bicker at each other was just as fun as the giant robots.

Yeah, I agree about the acting, it wasn't that it was bad, it was just written to be cheesy. I think it worked quite well on the whole now that I've gotten over the whole terrible Aus accent thing.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it last night, effects overload loved the fight scenes, acting /rather/ writing was stale I found myself correcting some of it, like why didn't they go with this instead of that, would have sounded way better.
    Final thought fire them writers they could have done better in that area otherwise nice movie overall.
  • xalener
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well one of the writers is kinda not good and the other is Guillermo himself and English isn't his first language. I can excuse the script on his behalf because of this (personally)

I have no idea what's up with the other dude. I mean he wrote the clash of the titans remake :s
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    mystichobo wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree about the acting, it wasn't that it was bad, it was just written to be cheesy. I think it worked quite well on the whole now that I've gotten over the whole terrible Aus accent thing.

So true! This is even reflected in the costume design. Everyone is on the edge of looking like they're at a cos-play convention.

speaking of which...

1532297345_hyuga.jpg

pacificrim12_1020.jpg
  • xalener
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »
    One question and its a deal breaker for me. Do they explain how the robot has enough torque to move its arms and legs without breaking them?
    "one motor for every muscle strand" paraphrasing.

Good enough. You really shouldn't care. If you expect a content creator with even a single creative cell in his bone to be able to do what they want to do, but restrict them to all known laws of reality, you have no place on screen or in front of one.
    Don't mistake simple for "brain-dead." A lot of modern blockbusters attempt to weave together complex plots, but never actually deliver on the potential. They compromise their own narratives in order to setup improbable set-piece moments. In overly complex scripts like these, character motivations often end up getting muddled, and numerous plot holes are introduced. Recent examples would include both the Star Trek reboot movies, Prometheus, and anything Michael Bay has ever produced.

In terms of the storytelling, Pacific Rim is actually better than all of those efforts. By keeping the story simple, Del Toro manages to avoid all of the pitfalls that those other films stumble into. The simplicity of the story keeps everything humming along without introducing narrative conflicts.

Dude, you nailed it. The problem with the average blockbuster movie is not that they have lackluster narratives, it's that they have too fucking much narrative. Every line is expositional vomit and the few character interactions that are established in the down time are thrown out the window when there's an action scene. I mean, hell. How long did it take to convince Jetfire that the Autobots were cool enough for him to sacrifice his damn life for Prime to use his body for all of ten seconds? About just as long as he is useful in the script. That's the problem with movies like this. They don't treat characters as characters, they treat them as tools. Things that deem themselves sentient so they can be excused for starting Rube Goldberg machines of action. Prometheus is the worst offender in my recent memory. Not a day goes by that I wonder what the movie would have been like had Lindelof never taken over the screenwriting position.

I commend Guillermo Del Toro and Travis Beacham for shifting the character's role from tools to bystanders. Imo, that's what really good characters are; victims of circumstance who react to the story more than they tell it. Yeah, they kinda failed, but holy shit they tried. Also, Charlie Day and Ron Perlman. Seriously.

If giant 80s Japanese style mech suits fighting giant 80s Japanese style monsters doesn't sink in for you, Charlie day and Ron Perlman.

A movie like this could be perfected with a little iteration. Here's hoping it does good internationally so they can try for a sequel.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator

My definition of brain dead is not: complicated. My definition of brain dead is: does is make me think? Simple things do this as well as complicated ones. Pacific rim might do it just fine and I'm missing out, but chances are from what I've read and heard that I'm not.

I get to see a theatre movie once every couple of months, so I'll wait for something that makes me interested beyond, cool fighting robots. I don't mind cool fighting robots, just not going to see it in the theater.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    If you watch a movie for it's well written and complicated story, you don't need to see that in the theater. If there is ever a movie to see on the big screen this is it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I thought it was very good. As a matter of fact I find that kind of movie much better than any of the gritty-serious-pretentious-philosophical flicks that have been very popular recently (like the recent Batman movies, Prometheus or Super8, which I all found to be dreadfully boring and lame).

What Pacific Rim is really good at is tone consistency. The movie never tries to be something that it is not, and is totally honest throughout. And yes, the characters were surprisingly well written too. Nothing overshadowing the main action, but still, solid stuff. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the japanese pilot girl was not sexed up at all ; she was even talking with a very dorky and rather natural thick japanese accent. The rest of the supporting characters all had that fun 80's/90's caricature feel to them, which I found to be extremely fitting. The Russian pilots looked like something straight out of MadMax2 ... how awesome was that !! Cool stuff.

MovieBob from the Escapist once mentioned something interesting : at some point, one has to "overgrow maturity". Pacific Rim was not thought-provoking ; but that doesn't make it bad, and arguably, it is much, much better than any movie written only to revolve around a lame plot twist or "mystery box" reveal.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8

If giant 80s Japanese style mech suits fighting giant 80s Japanese style monsters doesn't sink in for you, Charlie day and Ron Perlman.

YES. YES! A MILLION TIMES YES! I just loved the interaction between those two.

So yeah, I really enjoyed the movie too. So glad other people feel the same way about it. Cheesy in all the right ways but it revels in it. It was over the top and insane which brings suspension of disbelief to a whole new level! So totally getting the art book, I want to stare at those kaiju and robot designs for hours!
  • xalener
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Man, I want a damn show about them.
    I don't mind cool fighting robots, just not going to see it in the theater.

That's actually when you go see it in the theater and skip the domestic video release.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    wait for it on Blueray. It is not really worth it in theaters. It kinda feels like a "direct to dvd" type movie more so than a theatrical release.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    I knid of think the opposite, its a movie made for the big sceen, its a roller coaster ride of a film. But its not a complete experience for me, I doubt I would get a blue ray unless the extras are really sweet. It was a bad cheezy film as a whole, but for what I went for, monsters and robots, it delivered 10 fold. I just wish they would have edited it down to 90 mins, the story and characters meant nothing to me, less talk more rock. I did really like ron pearlmans character, and liked the part in the credits where he busts out.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I understand that a lot of people go to a theater to see things bigger and hear explosions louder, but that's not the only reason a person would go to a theater. I turn movies like pacific rim and transformers on while I do other things (like sculpting), because they're cool but in a sensory way, not an intelligent way. when I do get the chance to go to a theater, it's because I want to sit still and be engrossed by something . I think pacific rim would probably be cool to see in a theater, but cool isn't usually what I'm chasing.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ysalex - I actually tend to agree with that, as I do the exact same (watched quite a lot of dumb action movies that way, while working on stuff at home) ... but I think Pacific Rim deserves a little bit more attention :)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Ysalex, do you like big robots? Do you like big monsters? Do you like big robots punching the snot out of big monsters?

If you answered yes to any of these then just go see it. Seriously. Otherwise you can skip it.

Also thank you pior, tone consistency is exactly the phrase I needed to describe this movie. It's terribly stupid at it's core and most individual plot points fall apart under scrutiny, but the whole thing is internally consistent and never tries to be anything it's not, so even the silliest moments (Newton's cradle, ha) don't jar you out of the experience. It takes great directing skills to pull that off, and Del Toro did it.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Seems like a case of the movie is satisfying what some people want 100% but those things are exactly what other people hate.

Remember kids, sometimes the very thing you hate might be the thing someone else may love.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    If you're talking about me, I think I've been fairly clear that I don't really care one way or another if Pacific Rim is other peoples thing, its just not a movie I want to see in the theatre. I'm not going to think anything about your taste in movies based on this, since we all watch a certain amount of brain dead stuff because we find it 'cool'. Some of my favorite movies are brain dead trash. I just typically don't go see these types of movies in the theater, I see them at home while I do other stuff, and I enjoy them.

I'm sure I'll enjoy this in its own way.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Nah that was just a general comment, Not even sure if it needed to be said or I'm stating the obvious. Probably the latter.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I was joking about my question, of course I'm going to see it. I cant decide whether to see it in 3D or 2D though, which is better?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I never say this, but it's one of the few films that makes 3d worth while.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    The imax version's tastefully done. Well worth it.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Well one of the writers is kinda not good and the other is Guillermo himself and English isn't his first language. I can excuse the script on his behalf because of this (personally)

I have no idea what's up with the other dude. I mean he wrote the clash of the titans remake :s

Guillermo speaks completely fluent english with all the finesse and mastery of any other english-speaking film writer, so if you want to hate on the writing, don't handwave it with whatever you're trying to say here.

This movie is anime as fuck and comes across as a love letter to its predecessors in such a wonderful way. Totally dug it and wasn't expecting it to be half as good as it was.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    I never say this, but 3d. It's one of the few films that makes it worth while.
    Seriously. I don't see how someone who works in 3D art wouldn't want to see this movie on a huge screen in iMax 3D. I mean - THIS IS MADE FOR YOU. :) The entire movie is filled with shit that I would LOVE to build and work on. It's a visual overload that won't be the same on a TV screen at home ... I mean, I'll get the Blu-Ray when it comes out but I'm also damned glad I saw it in the theatre as well. Probably will see it again before it cycles out...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Because he has glasses?
    artquest wrote: »
    So true! This is even reflected in the costume design. Everyone is on the edge of looking like they're at a cos-play convention.

speaking of which...

1532297345_hyuga.jpg

pacificrim12_1020.jpg
  • WarrenM
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    HAH! totally worth going on a self imposed media black-out. Being surprised by each robot & monster reveal was great. I didn't know Wayne Barlow did the creature designs until the first monster showed up, I recognized his stuff instantly.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I understand that a lot of people go to a theater to see things bigger and hear explosions louder, but that's not the only reason a person would go to a theater. I turn movies like pacific rim and transformers on while I do other things (like sculpting), because they're cool but in a sensory way, not an intelligent way. when I do get the chance to go to a theater, it's because I want to sit still and be engrossed by something . I think pacific rim would probably be cool to see in a theater, but cool isn't usually what I'm chasing.

(shrug) Too each his own. Personally, I tend to focus very intently when I'm working on things, and I can't watch movies while I'm working on art. I can listen to music or listen to movies, oddly enough. But working on art engages the visual part of my brain, and I can only focus on one visual thing at a time. I wouldn't consider most modern action films for listening.

Also, Pacific Rim is way, WAY better than any of the Transformers films. Del Toro is clearly a much better director/producer than Michael Bay. Even when making a blockbuster boom-fest, Del Toro still manages to infuse the film with his trademark style. He also did a much better job of conveying threat. I can't go into specifics for fear of spoilers, but Del Toro does a much better job of ratcheting up the tension.

Hold off for the Blu-Ray release if you want, but I still think you're missing out.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    skylebones wrote: »
    How is grown ups 2 beating it at the box office?!?! This is why we can't have nice things.

Because its a "cult classic" movie with a relatively small anime "nerd" base. Not to mention most people look at this film and see it for what it is.

Btw, movie only did 38m in US. Ooooooops!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    so the lack of robo-balls and toilet humor is holding it back?
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Everyone has there opinion on the movie. My advise, even though I didn't really like the movie, is go into it with really really low expectations. You'll prolly come out of it with a "grin".
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I haven't seen a movie with that many "Fuck YEAH!" and "GIT SOME BITCHES!" moments-per-square-foot in a lonnnng time.

Also, ELBOW ROCKET! :D
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was crazy fun.
    Also, coolest collection of doors ever.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I did IMAX 3d last on Friday. WORTH EVERY PENNY. I will most likely pay to go see this movie again, and I want it on bluray nowwwww!
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I did IMAX 3d last on Friday. WORTH EVERY PENNY. I will most likely pay to go see this movie again, and I want it on bluray nowwwww!

I loved it in IMAX 3D... my down complaint is that 3D makes IMAX seem smaller... I guess... a little more real feeling... though I think my glasses caused the effect to break down a few times
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so the lack of robo-balls and toilet humor is holding it back?

Actually
    there IS toilet humor but I thought it wasn't distasteful - the more regular of the scientists needs to throw up at the site of a kaiju attack and finds a toilet seat in the rubble to use for it.

If that's the worst kind I'll ever get to see from now on, I wouldn't mind that...
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    Also, ELBOW ROCKET! :D

The theater I saw the movie in is located within a large mall and it was a late showing so there were security guys directing people to the exits. I have to admit I had a slight urge to go "elbow rocket!" at them ;)
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    vargatom wrote: »
    Actually
    there IS toilet humor but I thought it wasn't distasteful - the more regular of the scientists needs to throw up at the site of a kaiju attack and finds a toilet seat in the rubble to use for it.

If that's the worst kind I'll ever get to see from now on, I wouldn't mind that...
    I thought it was a funny commentary on how that scientist was so "proper" that even in the middle of a disaster zone surrounded by rubble, he instinctively goes looking for an "acceptable" place to puke.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, exactly what I thought too. You could almost call it character building :)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I feel like the only person who didn't enjoy it...Saw it IMAX3D. Yes the story was lame, I wasn't expecting anything brilliant. I came for the action. And was disapointed :/

Every battle (except the flashbacks) was during the night or underwater. All the water spray/rain/city lights/monster lights just seemed like way too much visual noise to me. I could hardly tell what was happening half the time. Doesn't help that 3D makes things darker/smaller.

You'd probably have to pay me to sit through that again...Let's hope Godzilla is better!

(ps: I'm not a snobby movie critic or anything....Avengers was a super fun action movie, as well as Transformers 1. They did a great job of building up the excitement and getting you hyped. Only time I was hyped in Pacific Rim was when they needed Gypsy to help fight because she was analog...I was all like, AW YEAH POWER UP BABY)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    This movie was great. Each scene was pulling a lot of weight in terms of plot and characters. I don't normally like homage in films, but it was done so well, that I couldn't help but grin like a fool.

Really the best giant robot film since Robot Jox.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I thought it was ok. The plot and characters was total trash, they couldnt bothered. The 3D was a mess in places, I couldnt see what was going on, but it wasnt totally bad. Best monster smash up I've seen.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    This is one of those films that overcomes it's cheesy nature by virtue of the energy of the theatre audience. I think it has to be seen in theatres.

I prefer this much more than Cloverfield and Godzilla.

It's a giant sea monster flick for god's sakes.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Best movie ever invented. God couldn't do a better job. I am just upset that.....Grown Ups 2 had a better opening day weekend than this. What the hell is wrong with this planet. First famine, then genocide, then War...now this? Come on.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Liked this movie quite a bit, felt like it was aiming to be a July 4th contender to Independence Day which means I'll probably be making it an annual watch :o
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I had a stupid grin on my face all the way through the film, so much fun :D
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I didn't know that there is going to be so much cheese... I love cheese though. Loved it. It's pure fun.